Arthur Smith coming In Tonight

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Was Arthur Smith a sleepover with a follow up this morning or has he already left town?

SAR I

With the time these guys are getting into town and to the facility, it behooves them to split the process into two days.  A dinner where they can get to know him as a person more and talk a little shop, Then a more formal setting today where Chris Johnson will come in and meet with him as well. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Shouldn’t be so low on Arthur Smith.

He’s an offensive / QB guru who defines a CEO type, as he has coached:

• Defense • OL • TE’s • OC

That’s a lot of overview and perfect background for a head coach. 

Totally agree. He and Saleh are both great candidates as are a few others. Crossing fingers we get one of the good ones.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This guy has Gase's eyes and Parcells body.  And he's less dynamic than Mangini.  Here we go again.  Watch this at your own peril.

Can we start the head coaching search for 2023 now?

SAR I

Pretty much dont see any of these things in Smith.

Just now, SAR I said:

This guy has Gase's eyes and Parcells body.  And he's less dynamic than Mangini.  Here we go again.  Watch this at your own peril.

Can we start the head coaching search for 2023 now?

SAR I

Hate to judge a book by its cover, but damn looking at Smith I feel all the bad vibes of Jets coaches past. Hoping it isn't Smith just for that reason alone.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Pretty much dont see any of these things in Smith.

He may be a great coach, but the personality means way too much to this fanbase and the media.  This guy is as exciting as cardboard.  I don't see the Jets choosing him over rah-rah Pete Carroll clone Robert Saleh.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Hate to judge a book by its cover, but damn looking at Smith I feel all the bad vibes of Jets coaches past. Hoping it isn't Smith just for that reason alone.

I know, right?  Look, we have to be honest.....it's New York, it's the Jets, we need to put on a show.  Saleh is the rah-rah type that can energize the fanbase.

This video shows Smith when he's relaxed and happy.  Imagine what it's going to look like when he loses?  Bad fit.

SAR I

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

Smith would be the quintessential Johnson pick. I’d hate it. So I’m sure that’s where they’re going

I'm sure they run in the same social circles.  Smith is the heir to the $5B FexEx fortune, his dad is the founder, Smith and Christopher have a lot in common I'm certain.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Honestly that’s a big one for me. It’s totally irrational but at the same time...justified?

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

He may be a great coach, but the personality means way too much to this fanbase and the media.  This guy is as exciting as cardboard.  I don't see the Jets choosing him over rah-rah Pete Carroll clone Robert Saleh.

SAR I

We had that rah-rah guy, no one cared about Carroll before he had Wilson.  We had Parcells, loud HC.  Went to Mangini, fans loved the stoic Mangenius.  Then on to Rex, thats what we needed, a rah rah guy.  The it was Bowles, just what we needed, all business.  Now Saleh, we need that rah-rah guy.

You dont hire a HC because of the whims of a fanbase 

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I'm sure they run in the same social circles.  Smith is the heir to the $5B FexEx fortune, his dad is the founder, Smith and Christopher have a lot in common I'm certain.

SAR I

Yep you and I are actually on the same page for once as far as foreshadowing disaster w this one. I’m not as surefire as I was w Gase but this pick would do literally zero to be excited about. It will ? be a prove me wrong hire imo...at least for me. Figured and totally typical w this team

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Yet Smith tells no one who his father is.  Doesnt quite fit

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yet Smith tells no one who his father is.  Doesnt quite fit

From a certain perspective, Christopher and Arthur are two trust fund babies allowed the freedom to indulge their whims and pursue careers as glorified gym teachers.  

I respect them both, but neither is a from-the-streets guy who worked their way up.  You have to ask yourself how relatable the players will find their owner and head coach knowing this.  “I’m rich as f—-“ didn’t play well last time.

SAR I

36 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

And some in this fanbase wanted to retain Gase a few weeks ago.  

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Yep you and I are actually on the same page for once as far as foreshadowing disaster w this one. I’m not as surefire as I was w Gase but this pick would do literally zero to be excited about. It will ? be a prove me wrong hire imo...at least for me. Figured and totally typical w this team

I get that in theory, but for me that's unquestionably Daboll who fits that role, not Smith.

22 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

What's interesting to me is that the announcement on Saleh leaving the building was at about 7pm.  This one was made at about 11am.  Kind of makes me think that @Mogglez was right, and a contract was offered to Saleh.

With Jacksonville hiring Meyer ,IMO Saleh is still a very strong candidate.   Lurie is going to offer him a good bit of money, but a HC would have to be insane to go there unless it was his only option.  $74,000,000 over the cap.  An owner who demands to hire your assistants , and a mess at QB.

If Detroit's new GM looks elsewhere, and CJ opens the checkbook, IMO Saleh is still the favorite. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

What's interesting to me is that the announcement on Saleh leaving the building was at about 7pm.  This one was made at about 11am.  Kind of makes me think that @Mogglez was right, and a contract was offered to Saleh.

With Jacksonville hiring Meyer ,IMO Saleh is still a very strong candidate.   Lurie is going to offer him a good bit of money, but a HC would have to be insane to go there unless it was his only option.  $74,000,000 over the cap.  An owner who demands to hire your assistants , and a mess at QB.

If Detroit's new GM looks elsewhere, and CJ opens the checkbook, IMO Saleh is still the favorite. 

I agree. Smith's time with the Jets was shorter. I think he's a contingency plan. 

• Upvote 1