Arthur Smith coming In Tonight

2 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Ok here’s another idea... hire Mike McDaniels as OC right now, before a head coach... since our HC faves all want him anyway. 

Lol I wish it were so easy... but unfortunately McDaniel wouldn't agree without knowing who the HC is, and it would create an awfully dynamic power structure in the organization knowing you only hired the HC because you wanted a specific OC candidate 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Derrick Henry wants to know who Arthur Smith is?!

This is such a weird concept some people are suddenly running with.  I mean, do we all so quickly forget that for Henry's time in league before Smith, over the course of those 3 years combined he rushed for a grand total of 266 more yards than this season alone?  That's of course after having his first "career year" last season under Smith.

That's not to say Smith deserves credit for the talent of Henry, but he has unquestionably far better utilized him than either of his predecessors did, which is kind of exactly what his job is.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I've said it before a coachs' out ward style means nothing to me at all.  I do not get caught up in wanting a firey guy.

There have been successful coaches who were firebrands, who were cerebral, who were assholes who were nice, who were players coaches who the players hated.

Is the guy smart, a good game planner and creative and a decent game day coach.

I caution in getting too caught up in the Saleh seems like a bad ass vs a doughty Arthur smith kind of thing.

• Upvote 1

I like this guy a lot. Anyone who comes from a family worth 5 billion dollars can pretty much do anything they want based on influence & connections. Instead, this guys a football nerd, 100% what he wanted to do & has obviously worked his way through the system to where he's respected enough to get all of these interviews & be a hot coaching candidate. 

He's seems to me to be like an autistic football savant similar to the dude Belichick confides in, in New England, but who actually has social skills. 

I get the whole Saleh fire brand stuff, but that sh*t just looks stupid when your losing. We've got one of the best QBs in the league now in our division. They're going to have to pay him a FORTUNE soon, so their defense will suffer. We need to build the best Oline in the division & play big boy ball & keep Mr. Josh Allen frustrated on the sideline feeling out of sync. 

Arthur Smith seems like the cerebral guy to work with JD & build a big tough team with some explosive play strong WRs like they do with Henry & AJ Brown and a tough rugged Oline like they've succeeded with in Tennessee. 

Theres only 1 Rogers, 1 Mahomes, outliers. Everyone else needs an identity & scheme to set them apart. Build that tough team that no one wants to play in the playoffs. After years of Bowles & then Gase this team has zero identity! 

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I've said it before a coachs' out ward style means nothing to me at all.  I do not get caught up in wanting a firey guy.

There have been successful coaches who were firebrands, who were cerebral, who were assholes who were nice, who were players coaches who the players hated.

Is the guy smart, a good game planner and creative and a decent game day coach.

I caution in getting too caught up in the Saleh seems like a bad ass vs a doughty Arthur smith kind of thing.

I dont get caught up in thinking the guy I want is based on anything that could be called insightful.  We dont have to work with a HC, intimately, Like JD will.  And we have no idea who will make it, if anyone does, as a HC.  Theyre all successful coordinators but being a HC is much more than that.  Being a strong coordinator with the 49rs doesnt mean you will ever succeed anywhere else as a HC.  Its not that easy, its a whole different skill set, one we cant predict from watching games on TV

This is the ultimate wait and see, trust JD game

9 hours ago, ryu79 said:

If we were to hire Arthur, the Sewell + Najee double dip suddenly becomes pretty attractive. 

Yep, make it a play-action based offense. Simplify the reads for Darnold. Get a wr or 2, solidify the defense, and we should at least be a functional and competitive team. 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

I like this guy a lot. Anyone who comes from a family worth 5 billion dollars can pretty much do anything they want based on influence & connections. Instead, this guys a football nerd, 100% what he wanted to do & has obviously worked his way through the system to where he's respected enough to get all of these interviews & be a hot coaching candidate. 

He's seems to me to be like an autistic football savant similar to the dude Belichick confides in, in New England, but who actually has social skills. 

I get the whole Saleh fire brand stuff, but that sh*t just looks stupid when your losing. We've got one of the best QBs in the league now in our division. They're going to have to pay him a FORTUNE soon, so their defense will suffer. We need to build the best Oline in the division & play big boy ball & keep Mr. Josh Allen frustrated on the sideline feeling out of sync. 

Arthur Smith seems like the cerebral guy to work with JD & build a big tough team with some explosive play strong WRs like they do with Henry & AJ Brown and a tough rugged Oline like they've succeeded with in Tennessee. 

Theres only 1 Rogers, 1 Mahomes, outliers. Everyone else needs an identity & scheme to set them apart. Build that tough team that no one wants to play in the playoffs. After years of Bowles & then Gase this team has zero identity! 

At least it's not the style of Rex of just being overly cocky and brash. 

6 minutes ago, ganggreen305 said:

Jets have completed their second interview with Smith.  Let the freaking out begin!!!!!  How could you let him walk out the building!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to take our time, but given the expansive first round, I hope we start moving fast here so that we give our new HC the best opp to staff well. Esp as it seems they will likely be a coordinator making the leap to HC.

• Upvote 1