Robert Saleh vs Arthur Smith?

Saleh vs Smith?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. If it came down to 49ers DC Robert Saleh or Titans OC Arthur Smith, I would.......

• STRONGLY PREFER SALEH
    • Prefer Saleh
    • Either one would be a similarly good (or bad) choice
    • Prefer Smith
    • STRONGLY PREFER SMITH

From PFF

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-head-coaching-vacancies-examining-top-candidates-2020

ROBERT SALEH — DC, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Despite a season full of injuries and COVID-19 issues, the 49ers allowed only 5.0 yards per play on defense — good for fourth in the NFL. This earned Saleh the highest mark in our defensive play caller ratings.

There were some questions about how he handled the fourth quarter of Super Bowl LIV, but aside from surrendering a lead to one of the best quarterbacks to enter the league since the merger, he’s done a great job developing young talent — Fred Warner, Nick Bosa, Arik Armstead and DeForest Buckner, among others — while assimilating newcomers such as Richard Sherman.

While defensive-minded coaches are not necessarily positive expected value long-term due to instability on the offensive side of the ball vis-à-vis the play caller, Saleh deserves an opportunity to lead a team. Will it be Detroit?

ARTHUR SMITH — OC, TENNESSEE TITANS

Smith has been in command of the Tennessee Titans' offense the past two years, wherein they have finished fourth in yards per play in both campaigns. Ryan Tannehill, after having fallen out of favor with Miami, has been one of the most efficient passers in the NFL over the past two years, averaging 9.7 and 13.5 yards per play-action pass attempt in those seasons.

Many will point to Derrick Henry’s two league-leading seasons on the ground as another positive, while skeptics will point toward prehistorical run/pass ratios as evidence of a flaw in his approach.

Smith has a Shanahan-like ceiling as a head coach and also calls plays, but he has a pretty low floor if he’s not endowed with the talent he has in Tennessee.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3

I prefer a offensive mind Saleh might be a decent coach what do you do when his OC leaves? This is a offensive game DC are a dime a dozen but with a struggling QB in Darnold a offense that is the worst year in and out the Jets need a coach who can install a scheme and have a stable system that is there year in and out . fix Darnold or develop a new QB. If you llok at the teams that are pushing deep in the playoffs its Offensive coaches that bring in a decent system that is the new NFL. the days of bringing in a DC as coach bringing in a OC is outdated and is slowly becoming the thing of the past Smith or Daboll those are the 2 I like.

• Upvote 1

Interesting thing about both Saleh and Smith, they come from teams with strong rushing attacks.  SF's elaborate running game, both schematically clever and using the highest paid Fullback in the NFL, was a key to their Super Bowl run last year.  Tennessee obviously has elite workhorse Derrick Henry and a strong OLine, helping setup play-action and supporting Tannehill's resurgence.

I just find it interesting that these two guys come from two of the best rushing teams in the league.  Hiring either could foretell an investment in the running game.  Najee Harris at #23 anyone?  (I'd love it if we went OT earlier in the 1st, even in a trade down)

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Interesting thing about both Saleh and Smith, they come from teams with strong rushing attacks.  SF's elaborate running game, both schematically clever and using the highest paid Fullback in the NFL, was a key to their Super Bowl run last year.  Tennessee obviously has elite workhorse Derrick Henry and a strong OLine, helping setup play-action and supporting Tannehill's resurgence.

I just find it interesting that these two guys come from two of the best rushing teams in the league.  Hiring either could foretell an investment in the running game.  Najee Harris at #23 anyone?  (I'd love it if we went OT earlier in the 1st, even in a trade down)

you had me until the parenthesis  ... it must be a qb at 2 ... i'm onboard with OL at round 1b and/or round 2 ... I don't want to see RB until round 3 at the earliest  ... 1b & 2 must be premier position or OL

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ljr said:

you had me until the parenthesis  ... it must be a qb at 2 ... i'm onboard with OL at round 1b and/or round 2 ... I don't want to see RB until round 3 at the earliest  ... 1b & 2 must be premier position or OL

I'm staying silent on the QB question.  Not because I'm dying to get rid of Darnold or dying to keep him, but I just don't know what JD's plan is yet.  And, JD may not know completely either until he hires a HC.

I've been doing some mock drafts and I've used both approaches.  I put on a GM hat and do a mock targeting a QB at #2 and then building around him.  Then, I do a mock as if I'm keeping Darnold.  In this one I inevitably try to trade down at least once, maybe twice and get the second or third best OT, a WR, a TE, a RB....and opportunistically grab an Edge guy and CB where I can.

If our HC is Arthur Smith then coming off two years of coaching Derrick Henry might make him push for a guy like Najee Harris.  Pure speculation, but Smith is coming from a team with supreme talent on the OLine, at RB and WR.  

• Upvote 1

I do understand the Adam Gase comparisons considering they look kind of pasty and Gase's rise was not much different than Smith's (minus Peyton), but in fairness Arthur Smith has more of a reputation of being a player's coach. He's humble and has made a concerted effort to stay out of the spotlight to avoid being compared to his father, but he's apparently down to earth. He's smart, has energy, his players love him, and he views the game from all lenses (offense/defense/special teams). 

Assuming both would hire one of the SF coordinators, I think Saleh would be more hype but Smith could be more practical. It's extremely possible McDaniel/LaFleur would depart next offseason or the following as head coaches; at least with Smith you still have an outlet there/can promote someone internally knowing you have a guy ready and able to take over play-calling. If Saleh lost one of those guys, your offense could be in for an overhaul rather quickly. 

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, football guy said:

I do understand the Adam Gase comparisons considering they look kind of pasty and Gase's rise was not much different than Smith's (minus Peyton), but in fairness Arthur Smith has more of a reputation of being a player's coach. He's humble and has made a concerted effort to stay out of the spotlight to avoid being compared to his father, but he's apparently down to earth. He's smart, has energy, his players love him, and he views the game from all lenses (offense/defense/special teams). 

Assuming both would hire one of the SF coordinators, I think Saleh would be more hype but Smith could be more practical. It's extremely possible McDaniel/LaFleur would depart next offseason or the following as head coaches; at least with Smith you still have an outlet there/can promote someone internally knowing you have a guy ready and able to take over play-calling. If Saleh lost one of those guys, your offense could be in for an overhaul rather quickly. 

I don’t know why, I just get Ben McAdoo vibes from Smith.  Maybe it’s because he, physically, looks kind of like a goof, but this write up, and other comments I’ve seen you make on him, is reassuring.

I’ll be honest, I don’t know that much about the guy.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I don’t know why, I just get Ben McAdoo vibes from Smith.  Maybe it’s because he, physically, looks kind of like a goof, but this write up, and other comments I’ve seen you make on him, is reassuring.

I’ll be honest, I don’t know that much about the guy.

I don't blame you. I think he's smarter than McAdoo. More articulate, more big picture. But he doesn't look the part and does seem a bit stale.

More than anything else, the Jets need a coach who represents the identity their looking for. It's that simple. Combining Smith and Saleh is essentially what I was looking for in a head coach - a fiery CEO style coach with offensive roots who utilizes heavy doses of play-action in attempt get the most out of the QB (see Campbell, Harbaugh). If you make me pick, I'd probably take Staley at this point. He has a broader offensive knowledge than Saleh and while not as fiery he connects with his players and they play hard for him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

I don't blame you. I think he's smarter than McAdoo. More articulate, more big picture. But he doesn't look the part and does seem a bit stale.

More than anything else, the Jets need a coach who represents the identity their looking for. It's that simple. Combining Smith and Saleh is essentially what I was looking for in a head coach - a fiery CEO style coach with offensive roots who utilizes heavy doses of play-action in attempt get the most out of the QB (see Campbell, Harbaugh). If you make me pick, I'd probably take Staley at this point. He has a broader offensive knowledge than Saleh and while not as fiery he connects with his players and they play hard for him. 

Agreed on all of the above.  Even down to the Staley “personal” pick.  The only reason I would be hesitant to wait for him is those rumors that he may not want to take a job this year, but who knows how true all of that is.

13 minutes ago, doitny said:

i think Saleh is gone. i dont see Phila letting him leave without a contract.

Possibly.  But it's not solely Philly's decision.  Saleh would also have to accept the job.

Also, the Philly job looks a little less desirable than the Jets job unless you're sold on either Wentz or Hurts (and there's a lot of money tied up in the position already).  They are tight with the salary cap situation and the previous head coach left because they wouldn't let Pederson make some of the coaching hires he wanted.  If they won't let a SB winning coach determine his staff and the owner just let him walk and kept GM Howie Roseman, how is that going to make Saleh feel?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, football guy said:

Having a Jets OC poached to become a HC somewhere else would be a GREAT problem to have.  I don't know if this organization has ever seen that, certainly not recently.  It would mean the OC had done a remarkable job elevating the Jets offense and getting the QB (whoever that is) to play great.  And if that's the case then I think we could sustain the departure knowing that the offense and QB had proven it can succeed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

This is going to be a long ride. Stay tuned!

Starting to feel that way.  I'd guess Eberflus and Brady might be up next, possibly as soon as this weekend after Arthur Smith.  Should any of those other guys have their teams lose this weekend (Daboll, Bienemy, etc.) we could see them as soon as Monday or Tuesday.

Can this board survive another week?

Does Joe Douglas know how erratic, impatient and unstable this fanbase is?

• Haha 3

90% of this board didnt know who Robert Saleh was prior to the interview and now he's preferred to the JN darling must hire, Arthur Smith.  This place is nutty, man. 

I have no clue what either of these guys bring to the table.  The one thing I do know is Smith has a top 5 unit under him and has been part of a tremendous turn around with Tannehill.  It sounds like we're sticking with Sam so I'd prefer the guy who can do that as opposed to the guy who has a nice defensive scheme and his unit was only top 5 when he's coaching the likes of Buckner, Bosa, Ward, Alexander, Armstead. Warner, Ward, etc. etc. etc.