Jump to content

Bill O'Brien to be OC at Alabama under Saban


Recommended Posts

Weird place for O'Brien to go IMO.Terrible GM. But the guy didn't do a bad job coaching the Texans.

Maybe he is just going there to build back up his resume and stay relevant before looking for another Head Coaching next year or the year after. Or maybe Saban is retiring soon, and O'Brien thinks he can take the job after him.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Weird place for O'Brien to go IMO.Terrible GM. But the guy didn't do a bad job coaching the Texans.

Maybe he is just going there to build back up his resume and stay relevant before looking for another Head Coaching next year or the year after. Or maybe Saban is retiring soon, and O'Brien thinks he can take the job after him.

People forget the amazing job he did at Penn State when that team was devastated by the NCAA (justifiably so). What happened in Houston was a bit odd and he deserves plenty of blame as the Head Coach when he decided he preferred to coach David Johnson than Hopkins. 

With that said, Saban has done a GREAT job finding very good coaches that were fired, bringing them in and resurrecting their careers. It does help to have to coach the most talented roster in college football. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

O'brien is awful.  He fluked into deshaun watson who saved his ass, he went out of his way to get new england cast offs like hoyer and mallet he went after oswieler, he is the guy behind the brilliant hackenburg.

Terrible coach.  Will maybe look okay in Bama due to the STACKED talent there but his play calling and offensive design will suck compare to Sarkisian

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Weird place for O'Brien to go IMO.Terrible GM. But the guy didn't do a bad job coaching the Texans.

Maybe he is just going there to build back up his resume and stay relevant before looking for another Head Coaching next year or the year after. Or maybe Saban is retiring soon, and O'Brien thinks he can take the job after him.

Saban and O’Brien are BB pals. Just a form of nepotism, honestly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

O'brien is awful.  He fluked into deshaun watson who saved his ass, he went out of his way to get new england cast offs like hoyer and mallet he went after oswieler, he is the guy behind the brilliant hackenburg.

Terrible coach.  Will maybe look okay in Bama due to the STACKED talent there but his play calling and offensive design will suck compare to Sarkisian

Not as a college guy. He took over maybe the toughest job in the history of college football, after the PSU scandal, and got it back on it's feet. What he did there was nothing short of incredible. Think you are way off base here. Would love to hear @Scott Dierking take on this.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Not as a college guy. He took over maybe the toughest job in the history of college football, after the PSU scandal, and got it back on it's feet. What he did there was nothing short of incredible. Think you are way off base here. Would love to hear @Scott Dierking take on this.

I have a fond spot in my heart for Bill O'Brien. And I get everything that he did in Houston as GM.

What O'Brien did at PSU was nothing short of miraculous. He held the program together when it should have died. They were basically given the death penalty by the NCAA. He convinced college kids that Penn State was still a destination, even when they had no shot at competing. He motivated a group of young kids to believe that it was them against the world. And they did. And, he actually made Christian Hackenberg look like a real qb.

Maybe Bill O'Brien never does anything like that coaching job again. But what he did for the PSU program, I will forever be grateful. He gave himself and gave his family for the program. I wish him nothing but luck wherever he goes. And I would be highly surprised if he is not wildly successful at Alabama, as everyone is.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I have a fond spot in my heart for Bill O'Brien. And I get everything that he did in Houston as GM.

What O'Brien did at PSU was nothing short of miraculous. He held the program together when it should have died. They were basically given the death penalty by the NCAA. He convinced college kids that Penn State was still a destination, even when they had no shot at competing. He motivated a group of young kids to believe that it was them against the world. And they did. And, he actually made Christian Hackenberg look like a real qb.

Maybe Bill O'Brien never does anything like that coaching job again. But what he did for the PSU program, I will forever be grateful. He gave himself and gave his family for the program. I wish him nothing but luck wherever he goes. And I would be highly surprised if he is not wildly successful at Alabama, as everyone is.

Some guys are just better suited for college than the pros. Maybe he's one of those guys. For the all the reasons you state, he seems like an A+ recuiter. He might be wise to do the Bama gig for a year or two and parlay that into a college HC gig and make that his home.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jgb said:

Some guys are just better suited for college than the pros. Maybe he's one of those guys. For the all the reasons you state, he seems like an A+ recuiter. He might be wise to do the Bama gig for a year or two and parlay that into a college HC gig and make that his home.

Yeah, O'Brien may be better cut out for the college gig. Houston stupidly gave him more leash than he probably deserved. And I understand it because he demonstrates the "CEO mentality" that so many here are talking about. But his schtick works better at the college level. It is easier to tell a college kid to pound sand, that it is your star WR. That was obviously a terrible, terrible move. 

He has a special needs child, so he will be careful where he winds up long term. That was a big reason he went to Houston. They had some special care there. Maybe after Franklin flames out at PSU, he can come back.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Yeah, O'Brien may be better cut out for the college gig. Houston stupidly gave him more leash than he probably deserved. And I understand it because he demonstrates the "CEO mentality" that so many here are talking about. But his schtick works better at the college level. It is easier to tell a college kid to pound sand, that it is your star WR. That was obviously a terrible, terrible move. 

He has a special needs child, so he will be careful where he winds up long term. That was a big reason he went to Houston. They had some special care there. Maybe after Franklin flames out at PSU, he can come back.

Moving Hopkins wasn't the sin, the compensation was. Was it really about David Johnson or did O'Brien just do a very poor job setting up a bidding war?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Moving Hopkins wasn't the sin, the compensation was. Was it really about David Johnson or did O'Brien just do a very poor job setting up a bidding war?

I honestly did not follow the Houston situation real well. But the little bit that I did, O'Brien seemed to feel that Hopkins was a bad culture fit for the team and that it hurt the team, thus he got him out. Maybe that is a bad take on my part. 

Coaches can get away with that in college, and college team building needs to be that way. In the NFL, if you have a star and he is somewhat ornery, you try to make it work. He misread the situation.

Again, all just my take without really knowing the situation great.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Scott Dierking said:

I honestly did not follow the Houston situation real well. But the little bit that I did, O'Brien seemed to feel that Hopkins was a bad culture fit for the team and that it hurt the team, thus he got him out. Maybe that is a bad take on my part. 

Coaches can get away with that in college, and college team building needs to be that way. In the NFL, if you have a star and he is somewhat ornery, you try to make it work. He misread the situation.

Again, all just my take without really knowing the situation great.

I heard the same. Still doesn't help me understand why he didn't facilitate a bidding war.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I have a fond spot in my heart for Bill O'Brien. And I get everything that he did in Houston as GM.

What O'Brien did at PSU was nothing short of miraculous. He held the program together when it should have died. They were basically given the death penalty by the NCAA. He convinced college kids that Penn State was still a destination, even when they had no shot at competing. He motivated a group of young kids to believe that it was them against the world. And they did. And, he actually made Christian Hackenberg look like a real qb.

Maybe Bill O'Brien never does anything like that coaching job again. But what he did for the PSU program, I will forever be grateful. He gave himself and gave his family for the program. I wish him nothing but luck wherever he goes. And I would be highly surprised if he is not wildly successful at Alabama, as everyone is.

Wonderful post. The thing O'Brien did that I still think is so cool was allowing the names of the players to be on the back of their Jersey's for that first year. I think he said something like" these kids deserve to let people know their names for what they did for this program." That was great.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, section314 said:

Wonderful post. The thing O'Brien did that I still think is so cool was allowing the names of the players to be on the back of their Jersey's for that first year. I think he said something like" these kids deserve to let people know their names for what they did for this program." That was great.

There was a group of players that created a united front and ensured that the bulk of the players stayed together and stayed at PSU. There were some notable defections but by and large they stayed together even though they knew they would be outmanned and out recruited.

Penn State has a ring of honor at Beaver Stadium for undefeated and National Championship years, that class is also in that ring of honor.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Alabama is the Cliffside Malibu rehabilitation center for troubled coaches.  

Was legit about to say that the Bama is like rehab for coaches, especially the OC position.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I honestly did not follow the Houston situation real well. But the little bit that I did, O'Brien seemed to feel that Hopkins was a bad culture fit for the team and that it hurt the team, thus he got him out. Maybe that is a bad take on my part. 

Coaches can get away with that in college, and college team building needs to be that way. In the NFL, if you have a star and he is somewhat ornery, you try to make it work. He misread the situation.

Again, all just my take without really knowing the situation great.

We got rid of KJ and he was not on Hopkins level and we got much more..

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, section314 said:

Not as a college guy. He took over maybe the toughest job in the history of college football, after the PSU scandal, and got it back on it's feet. What he did there was nothing short of incredible. Think you are way off base here. Would love to hear @Scott Dierking take on this.

Getting the scandal ridden team 'back on track' means nothing coaching wise.  He flat out sucks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Not sure if this was posted but I found it interesting as there was lots of speculation that other candidates including Adam Gase could get this job.

193332898_ScreenShot2021-01-13at8_51_49PM.png.8cde520fb2984400ed30fdb5bf8fc250.png

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30708126/alabama-finalizing-deal-bill-obrien-crimson-tide-offensive-coordinator-sources-say

 

 

1938436524_ScreenShot2021-01-13at8_53_03PM.thumb.png.25417bbacc44712e94cc4f808c42c0af.png

the next draft class is sapoused to be good 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...