Garoppolo for Darnold and draft a QB

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/13/robert-saleh-jets-jimmy-garoppolo-sam-darnold/

If Saleh is hired...is this scenario good or bad?

"A swap would cost the Jets a little more than $19 million in cap space, a very reasonable cost for a starter. Garoppolo has consistently received rave reviews for his presence in the locker room. Saleh surely wants to carry a lot of what he helped build in San Francisco to his next job, and players like Garoppolo could do that. Furthermore, his familiarity with the offense could be a great help to a young quarterback like Fields or Wilson."

• Thumb Down 5

3 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Dak has priced himself beyond all sanity IMO and a contract like that would fatally weaken the rest of the roster for any team.

5 of the 6 teams with the highest-paid QBs made the playoffs this year. 6 of 6 in last two years.

1. $45 million Patrick Mahomes Chiefs
2. $39 million Deshaun Watson Texans
3. $35 million Russell Wilson Seahawks
4. $34 million Ben Roethlisberger Steelers
T5. $33.5 million Jared Goff Rams
T5. $33.5 million Aaron Rodgers Packers

Dak may not be worth the money he wants -- a different argument -- but huge QB-contracts do not fatally-weaken a team.

Remember when the Browns ate Brock Osweiler's contract and sent a 4th round pick in 2017 for the Texans 2nd round pick in 2018, and 6th round pick in 2017?

Jets could send Sam Darnold to the 49ers for their 2nd round pick (No. 43) in 2021 and Jimmy Garoppolo to mentor Captain Morgan, both whom were recruited and coached by the great Dino Babers.

Just now, Jet Life said:

Jimmy stinks. If we move Darnold get draft picks 

If taking on Jimmy Garoppolo's contract along with trading Darnold to the 49ers brought back the Jets a return of the No. 43 pick in the 2021 Draft, would you do it? I would. Jimmy Garoppolo is a more expensive McCown is all. You're essentially buying the 43rd pick in the 2021 Draft. 

3 hours ago, jgb said:

5 of the 6 teams with the highest-paid QBs made the playoffs this year. 6 of 6 in last two years.

1. $45 million Patrick Mahomes Chiefs
2. $39 million Deshaun Watson Texans
3. $35 million Russell Wilson Seahawks
4. $34 million Ben Roethlisberger Steelers
T5. $33.5 million Jared Goff Rams
T5. $33.5 million Aaron Rodgers Packers

Dak may not be worth the money he wants -- a different argument -- but huge QB-contracts do not fatally-weaken a team.

Or maybe football is a team effort and a good roster can carry an average QB like Mahomes. Think about it.

:)

• Haha 1

This is conceptually absurd and reads like it was written by a 49ers fan. Darnold right now - between contract, upside, and injury history - gets a better return than Garoppolo if they're traded to different teams. So the 49ers would certainly have to throw something in.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, jgb said:

Didn't think about that lol

If I used Goff as the example, I could have made you really think about it.

What I am saying is maybe the real point was getting you to not think about it, that is why I used Mahomes. Think about it.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

If I used Goff as the example, I could have made you really think about it.

What I am saying is maybe the real point was getting you to not think about it, that is why I used Mahomes. Think about it.

Yeah my only point was a huge QB contract isn't a team killer in and of itself. You're getting all philosophical on me now lol

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

If taking on Jimmy Garoppolo's contract along with trading Darnold to the 49ers brought back the Jets a return of the No. 43 pick in the 2021 Draft, would you do it? I would. Jimmy Garoppolo is a more expensive McCown is all. You're essentially buying the 43rd pick in the 2021 Draft. 

Id assume we can trade Sam for a 2 without taking back Jimmy’s contract