Jaguars hold key to Jets landing top candidate

Bronx

NFL coaching searches: Why Urban Meyer, Jaguars hold key to Jets landing top candidate 49ers’ Robert Saleh, Titans’ Arthur Smith

Now that the Jets have conducted two in-person, follow-up interviews with top head coaching candidates, you might have big question: What’s the holdup here?

The Jets on Wednesday sat down with 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh and Titans offensive coordinator Arthur Smith.

Both had previously been interviewed via video chat. Both are in-demand candidates. There are seven NFL head coaching openings. (And there have been zero hires made so far in this head coach hiring cycle.)

Jaguars hold key to Jets landing top candidate.

Every coach-needy team except the Texans has pursued Saleh. All seven have pursued Smith. This week, Smith is doing an initial interview with the Eagles, and a follow-up with the Falcons, Jets, and Lions. Saleh and Smith can be hired immediately, since neither is in the playoffs.

Here’s where the Jaguars and Urban Meyer come in, as the likely roadblocks in this process — for the Jets and other coach-needy teams.

Meyer is clearly the Jaguars’ top choice to be their next head coach, and to mold quarterback Trevor Lawrence, the presumptive top pick in this year’s draft. Meyer is still considering what he wants to do — take the job or stay out of coaching. If he says yes, that’s one job off the board, and the others can be filled. But if he says no, a desirable job is suddenly available.

So why would a hot candidate like Saleh or Smith jump at the chance to take a less-desirable job, like the Jets, when he can wait out the Meyer situation and see if the Jaguars are open?

NFL coaching searches: Why Urban Meyer, Jaguars hold key to Jets landing top candidate 49ers’ Robert Saleh, Titans’ Arthur Smith

Now that the Jets have conducted two in-person, follow-up interviews with top head coaching candidates, you might have big question: What’s the holdup here?

The Jets on Wednesday sat down with 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh and Titans offensive coordinator Arthur Smith.

Both had previously been interviewed via video chat. Both are in-demand candidates. There are seven NFL head coaching openings. (And there have been zero hires made so far in this head coach hiring cycle.)

When did Saleh become the top candidate lol ..

I have always wanted Campbell, Fitzgerald, Josh McDaniels far more.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Wheb did Saleh become the top candidate lol ..

I have always wanted Campbell, Fitzgerald, Josh McDaniels far more.

Well is fairness you actually have to interivew to be a top candidate.  Guys who arent coming to the NFL, three guys who arent interviewing anywhere arent really candidates.  

I'd bet that Saleh has interviewed with more teams than most.  If not is right up there with whoever has

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

After two visits?

I might not ask that question.  What I might ask for is a little patience.  

Good way of looking at it, but it’s unusual that there have been no coaching hires by any teams almost 2 weeks after the season has ended. Obviously Covid has prolonged the process.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

In COVID times I'm not sure you can read much into the order candidates are brought in

Plus I think the fact that all the initial interviews were done via zoom calls it made it to easy to have 9 1st round interviews.  If they were all face to face with the tour and dinner route I dont think teams would carry out that many.

Which then may be why no one has pulled the trigger yet.  I think the zoom calls may have pushed the process back a rung

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

After two visits?

I might not ask that question.  What I might ask for is a little patience.  

Thank you for posting this!!! For some reason every one is in a rush for the Jets to hire!  We need patience.  Let the process play out and make an informed intelligent hire.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Plus I think the fact that all the initial interviews were done via zoom calls it made it to easy to have 9 1st round interviews.  If they were all face to face with the tour and dinner route I dont think teams would carry out that many.

Which then may be why no one has pulled the trigger yet 

Yep. Everyone is moving slow, not just Jets. There are guys who have left 2nd interviews without deals that will ultimately get those jobs.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Gotta be patient. All candidates are doing the right thing & there entitled to interview with any team they'd like. Most of these guys are getting there 1st shot at HC so there soaking it all in& exploring. Let the chips fall where they may. for Saleh.
Exactly ...

The reaction to this reminds me of the QB hype pre draft ... inflated values ... not always the sound choice

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, jetophile said:

Yesterday was the second anniversary of the Adam Gase hiring, so take it easy. I think.

There's a much more viable pool of candidates this year, anyway, so whoever the Jets land will be light years beyond The Horseshi t Whisperer by default . . . right? ?

How did the Jets end up with Gase?! Who was responsible for that? 

1 minute ago, QB1 said:

You guys are underestimating the fact that the Jags have an insane owner who is hell bent on making personnel decisions. They don't have a real GM. The Jaguars job has a nice level of toxicity to it, not far from Texans. 

Urban Meyer as a GM/coach?

9 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Add in  the fact that some teams are still in the playoffs and can't travel for on sight interviews until eliminated.

IMO, the best candidate for us is Brandon Staley.  I really want the Rams to lose to the Packers on Saturday so that we can bring him in.  He's the man for the Jets IMHO.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BloodGreen said:

I’m not sure that this is the case? I get that the Jacksonville job is attractive, but given that we are pick 2 to their 1, and only 2nd behind in cap space, I don’t see it as being a dramatically better situation for a new HC.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The Jags are rolling the red carpet. Even more dramatic than the Raiders/Gruden second marriage.

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

Jaguars hold key to Jets landing top candidate.

Every coach-needy team except the Texans has pursued Saleh. All seven have pursued Smith. This week, Smith is doing an initial interview with the Eagles, and a follow-up with the Falcons, Jets, and Lions. Saleh and Smith can be hired immediately, since neither is in the playoffs.

Here’s where the Jaguars and Urban Meyer come in, as the likely roadblocks in this process — for the Jets and other coach-needy teams.

Meyer is clearly the Jaguars’ top choice to be their next head coach, and to mold quarterback Trevor Lawrence, the presumptive top pick in this year’s draft. Meyer is still considering what he wants to do — take the job or stay out of coaching. If he says yes, that’s one job off the board, and the others can be filled. But if he says no, a desirable job is suddenly available.

So why would a hot candidate like Saleh or Smith jump at the chance to take a less-desirable job, like the Jets, when he can wait out the Meyer situation and see if the Jaguars are open?

can you imagine a world where being in jax with a meddling owner who doesnt know what he is doing is "the top destination"....this is such a media creation.

• Upvote 2