Jaguars hold key to Jets landing top candidate

Bronx

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

NFL coaching searches: Why Urban Meyer, Jaguars hold key to Jets landing top candidate 49ers’ Robert Saleh, Titans’ Arthur Smith

Now that the Jets have conducted two in-person, follow-up interviews with top head coaching candidates, you might have big question: What’s the holdup here?

The Jets on Wednesday sat down with 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh and Titans offensive coordinator Arthur Smith.

Both had previously been interviewed via video chat. Both are in-demand candidates. There are seven NFL head coaching openings. (And there have been zero hires made so far in this head coach hiring cycle.)

Jaguars hold key to Jets landing top candidate.

Every coach-needy team except the Texans has pursued Saleh. All seven have pursued Smith. This week, Smith is doing an initial interview with the Eagles, and a follow-up with the Falcons, Jets, and Lions. Saleh and Smith can be hired immediately, since neither is in the playoffs.

Here’s where the Jaguars and Urban Meyer come in, as the likely roadblocks in this process — for the Jets and other coach-needy teams.

Meyer is clearly the Jaguars’ top choice to be their next head coach, and to mold quarterback Trevor Lawrence, the presumptive top pick in this year’s draft. Meyer is still considering what he wants to do — take the job or stay out of coaching. If he says yes, that’s one job off the board, and the others can be filled. But if he says no, a desirable job is suddenly available.

So why would a hot candidate like Saleh or Smith jump at the chance to take a less-desirable job, like the Jets, when he can wait out the Meyer situation and see if the Jaguars are open?

can you imagine a world where being in jax with a meddling owner who doesnt know what he is doing is "the top destination"....this is such a media creation.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Lawrence makes it a top destination. It’s not like you can’t win in Jacksonville. Hell they’ve had a lot more success than the Jets since their inaugural season.

yeah no

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Why’s that

its completely inaccurate to say that the jaguars have been "more successful" the the jets since their inception. i agree the jets haven't been amazing...but the jags came out of the gates fast back in the 90's and really haven't been good since. the jets have been better, and have had better teams. certainly i would make the argument since the year 2000 it hasn't been close.

that aside, i am not sure how anyone can compare being the HC of the Jaguars to being the HC of a team in NY...given a choice (not motivated by friends, money, etc...) i would question anyone who choses to be in Jax Florida over NY. you want the guy who wants the high stakes, the high exposure, and the pressure that comes with it.

lastly, the owner in Jax sucks. He is just as likely to influence player decisions, as he is to move the team to London either part time or full time. football is a second language to him and his son, both of whom seem to think they know something.

and P.S. after watching the playoffs this year i am not TL is a guy who i would bet my career on without having a team with talent around him.

now i am done :)