Jump to content

Jaguars hold key to Jets landing top candidate


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

can you imagine a world where being in jax with a meddling owner who doesnt know what he is doing is "the top destination"....this is such a media creation.

Lawrence makes it a top destination. It’s not like you can’t win in Jacksonville. Hell they’ve had a lot more success than the Jets since their inaugural season.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Lawrence makes it a top destination. It’s not like you can’t win in Jacksonville. Hell they’ve had a lot more success than the Jets since their inaugural season.

The chargers are the best landing spot because Herbert is already a stud NFL QB and they have a stable ownership group. 

Since the Jaguars came into the league, both the Jags and Jets have been to 3 AFC title games and no SuperBowls.

The Jags do have a more winnable division. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The chargers are the best landing spot because Herbert is already a stud NFL QB and they have a stable ownership group. 

Since the Jaguars came into the league, both the Jags and Jets have been to 3 AFC title games and no SuperBowls.

The Jags do have a more winnable division. 

Chargers are on the precipice of being a playoff team. They lost the majority of their games by less than 4 points with most outcomes coming in the last minute.  And that’s with a rookie QB at the helm. Herbert in his 2nd year, a new HC, sky’s the limit.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Ok .. so where did you read that he was their top pick ????

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app
 

Robert Saleh is first finalist for Jets' head coaching job

Updated on: 2021-01-12T15:04:00Z

The Jets have zeroed in on their first finalist. The team is bringing in 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh for a second interview on Tuesday, according to the NFL Network. The Jets spoke wit…

Source: Upstract.com
Robert-Saleh
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Robert Saleh is first finalist for Jets' head coaching job

Updated on: 2021-01-12T15:04:00Z

The Jets have zeroed in on their first finalist. The team is bringing in 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh for a second interview on Tuesday, according to the NFL Network. The Jets spoke wit…

Source: Upstract.com
Robert-Saleh

How does the first finalist equate to top finalist, top choice?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How does the first finalist equate to top finalist, top choice?

It's kinda of common if you think about it. Haven't you ever watch The Voice?

Edited by Bronx
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Robert Saleh is first finalist for Jets' head coaching job

Updated on: 2021-01-12T15:04:00Z

The Jets have zeroed in on their first finalist. The team is bringing in 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh for a second interview on Tuesday, according to the NFL Network. The Jets spoke wit…

Source: Upstract.com
Robert-Saleh

Kick ass. Take no prisoners. Really didn’t want another DC as HC but what’s the alternative? Another OC? Saleh has a no nonsense look about him.  He doesn’t have a comical looney toons look like Rex, not a psycho/Anthony Perkins look like Gase, not a lost in the wilderness look like Bowles. 6th ranked defense in 2020 despite many of injuries.

.....................................................................

We shouldn't be surprised to see defensive coordinator Robert Saleh receive a healthy amount of head-coaching interviews after the season his group has put together.

Despite losing multiple key defenders, San Francisco still ranks sixth in yards per game, ninth in rushing yards per game and 10th in passing yards per game. The 49ers aren't getting home as much as they did in 2019 (20th in sacks per pass attempt), but they're still playing cohesively on key downs, ranking eighth in third-down percentage and 10th in red-zone percentage. After losing Jimmy Garoppolo and George Kittle to injuries, Saleh's bunch has helped maintain the 49ers' competitiveness.

San Francisco doesn't rank extremely high in most Next Gen metrics, yet it is still allowing an opposing passer rating below 95. Combining that with the aforementioned yardage averages, we're seeing a unit that isn't doing anything especially great, but is playing consistent, effective defense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

can you imagine a world where being in jax with a meddling owner who doesnt know what he is doing is "the top destination"....this is such a media creation.

Guy like Urban could see it as a plus and an opportunity to get both jobs eventually. Weird though because last GM actually did a pretty good job in the draft.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bronx said:

It's kinda of common if you think about it. Haven't you ever watch The Voice?

No its not, there are scheduling issues for both parties.  Smith was already scheduled in Atlanta so if he is our top choice?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

When did Saleh become the top candidate lol ..

I have always wanted Campbell, Fitzgerald, Josh McDaniels far more.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

 

Josh McDaniels? I think I would stick with Gase before hiring Josh.

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Lawrence makes it a top destination. It’s not like you can’t win in Jacksonville. Hell they’ve had a lot more success than the Jets since their inaugural season.

yeah no

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, jgb said:

Guy like Urban could see it as a plus and an opportunity to get both jobs eventually. Weird though because last GM actually did a pretty good job in the draft.

Caldwell's big downfall was missing badly on the QB twice. Drafted Bortles, extended him for some unbeknownst reason after his miracle AFCCG run in 2017 even though they knew he was trash, then gave Foles $30 million to win 1 game for the franchise. Yikes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Caldwell's big downfall was missing badly on the QB twice. Drafted Bortles, extended him for some unbeknownst reason after his miracle AFCCG run in 2017 even though they knew he was trash, then gave Foles $30 million to win 1 game for the franchise. Yikes.

Yup. Although he did well with other positions and did find Minshew in the 6th. But you're right. Whiffing on the two big money QBs did him in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bronx said:

NFL coaching searches: Why Urban Meyer, Jaguars hold key to Jets landing top candidate 49ers’ Robert Saleh, Titans’ Arthur Smith

Now that the Jets have conducted two in-person, follow-up interviews with top head coaching candidates, you might have big question: What’s the holdup here?

The Jets on Wednesday sat down with 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh and Titans offensive coordinator Arthur Smith.

Both had previously been interviewed via video chat. Both are in-demand candidates. There are seven NFL head coaching openings. (And there have been zero hires made so far in this head coach hiring cycle.)

Jaguars hold key to Jets landing top candidate.

Every coach-needy team except the Texans has pursued Saleh. All seven have pursued Smith. This week, Smith is doing an initial interview with the Eagles, and a follow-up with the Falcons, Jets, and Lions. Saleh and Smith can be hired immediately, since neither is in the playoffs.

 

Here’s where the Jaguars and Urban Meyer come in, as the likely roadblocks in this process — for the Jets and other coach-needy teams.

 

Meyer is clearly the Jaguars’ top choice to be their next head coach, and to mold quarterback Trevor Lawrence, the presumptive top pick in this year’s draft. Meyer is still considering what he wants to do — take the job or stay out of coaching. If he says yes, that’s one job off the board, and the others can be filled. But if he says no, a desirable job is suddenly available.

So why would a hot candidate like Saleh or Smith jump at the chance to take a less-desirable job, like the Jets, when he can wait out the Meyer situation and see if the Jaguars are open?

 

Hope they have a crash cart ready for him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Lawrence makes it a top destination. It’s not like you can’t win in Jacksonville. Hell they’ve had a lot more success than the Jets since their inaugural season.

Since 1995 they have had 8 winning seasons , the Jets have had 11 winning seasons since 1995. Both have made the playoffs 7 times in that time..

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Since 1995 they have had 8 winning seasons , the Jets have had 11 winning seasons since 1995. Both have made the playoffs 7 times in that time..

So basically even. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

When did Saleh become the top candidate lol ..

I have always wanted Campbell, Fitzgerald, Josh McDaniels far more.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

 

Just to be clear: That is who YOU want.

That is necessarily not what the JETS want.  And considering Saleh was brought in first for a 2nd interview, my guess is that is who they want.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Why’s that

its completely inaccurate to say that the jaguars have been "more successful" the the jets since their inception. i agree the jets haven't been amazing...but the jags came out of the gates fast back in the 90's and really haven't been good since. the jets have been better, and have had better teams. certainly i would make the argument since the year 2000 it hasn't been close.

that aside, i am not sure how anyone can compare being the HC of the Jaguars to being the HC of a team in NY...given a choice (not motivated by friends, money, etc...) i would question anyone who choses to be in Jax Florida over NY. you want the guy who wants the high stakes, the high exposure, and the pressure that comes with it.

lastly, the owner in Jax sucks. He is just as likely to influence player decisions, as he is to move the team to London either part time or full time. football is a second language to him and his son, both of whom seem to think they know something.

 

and P.S. after watching the playoffs this year i am not TL is a guy who i would bet my career on without having a team with talent around him.

 

now i am done :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

its completely inaccurate to say that the jaguars have been "more successful" the the jets since their inception. i agree the jets haven't been amazing...but the jags came out of the gates fast back in the 90's and really haven't been good since. the jets have been better, and have had better teams. certainly i would make the argument since the year 2000 it hasn't been close.

that aside, i am not sure how anyone can compare being the HC of the Jaguars to being the HC of a team in NY...given a choice (not motivated by friends, money, etc...) i would question anyone who choses to be in Jax Florida over NY. you want the guy who wants the high stakes, the high exposure, and the pressure that comes with it.

lastly, the owner in Jax sucks. He is just as likely to influence player decisions, as he is to move the team to London either part time or full time. football is a second language to him and his son, both of whom seem to think they know something.

 

and P.S. after watching the playoffs this year i am not TL is a guy who i would bet my career on without having a team with talent around him.

 

now i am done :)

As a New Yorker, no one overrates being in New York more than New Yorkers do. No one cares about the Jets outside of the tri-state.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, shuler82 said:


sounds like Meyer is a real possibility of happening. Would be good news for us.

 

Yes, we need Urban Meyer to jump in bed with the Jags so that either Saleh or Smith step down to bang the Jets (We're the sloppy seconds apparently.  Maybe even thirds to the Chargers. lol)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...