Lombardi: Meyer to Jaguars

dbatesman

1 minute ago, section314 said:

I just have a suspicion that the Falcons will be the next team to hire a coach. And they    already talked to both Saleh and Smith.Arthur Blank is a huge selling point.

He will write the next coach a "blank" check.  THANK YOU!  I'll be here all week!

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, DeerPark said:

let's hope Meyer's posturing was for more power and being able to pick/draft his players

Ross Tucker of nfl network said that without them hiring a gm first, likely means that urban wants that power, biting off more than he can chew.

17 minutes ago, section314 said:

Unless Khan wants to keep the tarp on the upper deck.?

Jax has no fans anyway - Lawrence isn’t changing that.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Bronx said:

How many facts have you found lately beside stats?

I mean you are the one stating that they will be a dynasty with no evidence to draw that conclusion. It's safe to say in my opinion that what you are stating is opinion as well am I right? Meyer might be a sh*t coach in the NFL who knows but to say they are the next dynasty with a first time HC in the league and ownership that is worse then us is kind of ridiculous wouldn't you say?

10 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Dumbest thing you’ve ever said and that’s saying a lot. 

Projected first round talent, tons of hype, fell to second round.  Fields is no Lawrence, there is no way the Jags choose him over Trevor.  His performance on Monday was atrocious.  

SAR I

1 minute ago, ToonforPrez said:

I mean you are the one stating that they will be a dynasty with no evidence to draw that conclusion. It's safe to say in my opinion that what you are stating is opinion as well am I right? Meyer might be a sh*t coach in the NFL who knows but to say they are the next dynasty with a first time HC in the league and ownership that is worse then us is kind of ridiculous wouldn't you say?

Nobody thought the Patriots were going to be one either. Meyer will attract FAs and with capital and picks l, (not to mention TL, which almost every JN'er cried for) it is very possible.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Projected first round talent, fell to second round.  Fields is no Lawrence, there is no way the Jags choose him over Trevor.  His performance on Monday was atrocious.  

SAR I

Are you as sure of that as you were that Gase was a great Coach who wasn't getting fired, and that Darnold was the best QB in the AFC?

Asking for a friend.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Projected first round talent, tons of hype, fell to second round.  Fields is no Lawrence, there is no way the Jags choose him over Trevor.  His performance on Monday was atrocious.  

SAR I

Clueless on all fronts. Goodbye. 

Just now, QB1 said:

Clueless on all fronts. Goodbye. 

So we're clear:  You are saying that Fields is better than Lawrence and either a) you expect him to be taken #1 by the Jags or b) you believe he is the franchise quarterback we've been waiting for since Namath?

SAR I

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Are you as sure of that as you were that Gase was a great Coach who wasn't getting fired, and that Darnold was the best QB in the AFC?

Asking for a friend.

Yes.  Its not my fault that Gase got undermined by Douglas and that Gase failed to develop Darnold.

SAR I

Meyer is flighty, he can coach the first year and then walk out. Wouldn’t shock me one bit. Next, he was a great college coach, but that doesn’t always translate to being a great Pro Coach. He had a tremendous advantage in college with recruiting as opposed to a salary cap. On the surface seems like a great hire, but I’m not sold on him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

not sure if he will work out or not for them but he is going into a situation with a bunch of skill players on offense

QB-Trevor elite qb prospect -has to prove he can do it on the next level but looks very legit

Robinson is a stud rb

their wr is much better than ours-DJ and Laviska are very a nice tandem that performed with trash qbs 

te if tyler stays healthy which is a big if he is a solid past catching TE and James O is good blocker

their O line performed below expectations and needs improvement

I would take their offensive roster every day of the week and twice on tuesday once trevor signs

48 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Jaguars should get a head start on their 2024 head coaching search now.  After three 5-11 and 7-9 type seasons Urban will have another “heart condition” that will force him to quit.   

Yep!  Everyone around Jax is freaking out, except for the Gators/Jags fans.  They're all like, buyer beware.  The guy left the SEC because he couldnt run the table and now he's about to go below .500 for the foreseeable future?  Yeah, this aint going to last. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

So we're clear:  You are saying that Fields is better than Lawrence and either a) you expect him to be taken #1 by the Jags or b) you believe he is the franchise quarterback we've been waiting for since Namath?

SAR I

No, Fields is on another galaxy with Geno smith, no comparison other than their ethnicity. 

Trevor will be the #1 pick, but Fields is a prospect of the same tier. 

Going back to high school, Trevor and Fields were both 1/1a as the two highest ranked QB prospects ever. 

In their last two years starting Fields and Trevor have nearly identical production across the board- freaky similar... Even though Fields has faced tougher competition. 

Fields put up the greatest performance in CFP history vs. Trevor Lawrence. 

Fields performance Monday was no worse than Trevors performance vs. LSU - and Fields was injured. 

Fields is an elite athlete, 6"3, 230, 4.4 speed. Cannon arm, most accurate deep thrower in college football. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Now that that's official... would the jets wait until the 1st pick is taken before trading down or do they make a trade before the draft... I HIGHLY Doubt Meyers drafts fields... but... you never know,.. Personally, I believe JD waits.

Sam will be traded before the draft.  Jets are taking a QB at 2.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I will likely be in the minority here, but I just have a feeling this thing crashes and burns in Jacksonville.

I agree with you, this is Nick Saban 2.0

Jacksonville blows! Aikman went 1-15. I watched them the last 5 games they made the Jets look good & half our team was out by then. 

This a pay for play league, not a recruiting league. That's why Saban couldn't get it done. This guys the epitome of unhealthy burnout. The NFL is like coaching in a torture chamber, ?. There are Seahawk fans that want Carroll fired, ?

Trevor Lawrence has been christened the next great QB. Good luck trying to live up to Social Media hype. Jaguars have no real die hard fan numbers so that helps but that stadium will be 1/3rd after 1-7 in the 1st half of the season.

Dodged another bullet!

JD has been smart (or lucky) enough to avoid the 2 guys who would have been most toxic to his administration. As long as he picks a coach he believes in, I don't care if its Saleh, Daboll, Smith or any of the remaining options.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Meyer was a great college coach. It will be very interesting to see what he does in the pros. I think he will have success, but I’d worry about him burning out. 

Myer was a great College coach.   College HC job is very different then being an NFL HC.  A few of them have done well in the NFL, most wind up back in NCAA.

IMO Myer is going to wind up like Saban.  A coupleof years, and gone

11 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Do you not think the Jets would be a more attractive destination with the No. 1 overall pick in their possession? 

there is no chance urban meyer would have taken the jets job.  you think he wants to have to deal with the NY media market, let alone coach where he can't golf year round, let alone go to a team that has a GM already established who will be calling the shots?

if you know anything about urban crier, you know the jets were never a desired destination of his.  and to me, that's a good thing.  not sure why we are sure a guy who has never been part of the pro game and who has already "quit" twice citing "medical reasons" when the going got tough, is the guy we want to turn around the jets. 

• Upvote 1