Lombardi: Meyer to Jaguars

dbatesman

29 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Do you not think the Jets would be a more attractive destination with the No. 1 overall pick in their possession? 

The Jets are at least as attractive as Jax.  They have Lawrence and no other advantage.

Plus who says we ever wanted him?  We didnt request an interview

What are the Jags thinking? 

This has a Gruden type deal written all over it. A huge waste of money based off hype. 

He is clearly not in good health. His "headaches" were rumored to have really been panic attacks. 

He has NEVER held an NFL job even as an assistant. He will see coaching pros is dif then kids who think you are a god. 

My prediction, he has a very Saban NFL career lasts a few years, loses alot, maybe gets to 8-8 in a few years, and leaves. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, HessStation said:

There was a tier 1 of Harbaugh, Meyer and Cowher. Like many said the #1 pick would net one of these guys based on Lawrence. 

glad we got that win tho

perhaps you think "many said" that the #1 pick would have netted one of those coaches.

but there is absolutely zero indication that this is reality.  harbaugh did not want to leave michigan, cowher has no interest in returning to coaching, and meyer was never going to come to NY (and that is a good thing)

but i'm glad many jets fans have yet another thing to bitch and complain about, even if it's not actually rooted in reality

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, QB1 said:

No, Fields is on another galaxy with Geno smith, no comparison other than their ethnicity. 

Trevor will be the #1 pick, but Fields is a prospect of the same tier. 

Going back to high school, Trevor and Fields were both 1/1a as the two highest ranked QB prospects ever. 

In their last two years starting Fields and Trevor have nearly identical production across the board- freaky similar... Even though Fields has faced tougher competition. 

Fields put up the greatest performance in CFP history vs. Trevor Lawrence. 

Fields performance Monday was no worse than Trevors performance vs. LSU - and Fields was injured. 

Fields is an elite athlete, 6"3, 230, 4.4 speed. Cannon arm, most accurate deep thrower in college football. 

Also.....Geno played in the Dana Holgersen ‘air-raid’ offence....Ryan Day is running much more of what would be called a pro-style offence at OSU

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, SAR I said:

So we're clear:  You are saying that Fields is better than Lawrence and either a) you expect him to be taken #1 by the Jags or b) you believe he is the franchise quarterback we've been waiting for since Namath?

SAR I

a) Doubtful

b) Possibly

2 hours ago, HessStation said:

There was a tier 1 of Harbaugh, Meyer and Cowher. Like many said the #1 pick would net one of these guys based on Lawrence. 

glad we got that win tho

So why didnt the Jags add Harbaugh and Cowher to their interview list? 

No matter how many times Cowher says he doesnt want to coach again, no matter how many times Harbaugh says hes staying at Michigan we're still thinking that we could have had one of them, why?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

Now that that's official... would the jets wait until the 1st pick is taken before trading down or do they make a trade before the draft... I HIGHLY Doubt Meyers drafts fields... but... you never know,.. Personally, I believe JD waits.

There should be NO WAY the Jets trade the pick until they see who Jax picked and we are on the clock..

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No matter how many times Cowher says he doesnt was to coach again, no matter how many times Harbaugh says hes staying at Michigan we're still thinking that we could have had one of them

I’m just giving what was consensus top 3

...and that it’s of no coincidence that the #1 pick is the one team that got one of them. 

pretty simple. We can branch off on theories all day which is pretty irrelevant 

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Jaguars should get a head start on their 2024 head coaching search now.  After three 5-11 and 7-9 type seasons Urban will have another “heart condition” that will force him to quit.   

possible, but no coincidence that he's choosing to land in a spot with cash and Lawrence. Wouldn't surprise to see him flash for a few seasons before, like you said, burn out with excuses he has to scheme to hide lack of talent

7 minutes ago, HessStation said:

...and that it’s of no coincidence that the #1 pick is the one team that got one of them. 

Urban Meyer was never coming here, though. Lol. And doesn't look like JD wanted him either seeing as the Jets didn't even request an interview with him.

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No matter how many times Cowher says he doesnt was to coach again, no matter how many times Harbaugh says hes staying at Michigan we're still thinking that we could have had one of them

People say lots of things. Hayden Christianson said he was done with Star Wars and yet here we are, Darth Vader is on his way back. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, HessStation said:

No one should have a retired HC and a college HC who just signed an extension at the top of their list

12 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

People say lots of things. Hayden Christianson said he was done with Star Wars and yet here we are, Darth Vader is on his way back. 

The HC line is cute but has nothing to do with Cowher has claimed for 10 years now that hes staying retired and this is the same thing people say when there is no indication that things have changed.  Hes retired.  Hes not a coaching candidate no matter how much people want him to be

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

Nobody thought the Patriots were going to be one either. Meyer will attract FAs and with capital and picks l, (not to mention TL, which almost every JN'er cried for) it is very possible.

Could say the same thing about us then as we are in the same boat as the Jags boatload of $$$ Draft capital decent building blocks on both sides of the ball. Just because one player and a coach go somewhere does not mean anything. The whole concept of Football is working as a total unit not as individuals.

47 minutes ago, HessStation said:

it's also no coincidence the team located in florida who has no GM in place got meyer

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

That's great news.  Now the dominoes for the other openings can commence.  We should have our new coach by the weekend.

SAR I

Teams may be waiting on the losers from this weekend.  I would expect in-person interviews to resume on Sunday and intensify on Monday with candidates from the 4 losing teams traveling around.  Staley, Daboll etc.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Meyer does nothing long term. Interesting choice.

Its Jacksonville.  That city is too tired and hung over after SEC Saturday's to care about crappy pro football on Sunday's.  They'll be happy to have Meyer as long as he's there because he's a college name they recognize. 

Pair him with Trevor Lawrence and it'll energize things for a year or so and then they'll go back to focusing on LSU-Florida games.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm still sad we missed out on the # 1 pick.  Having control of the board would have been nice regardless.  But I'm not sad to miss out on Urban Meyer. 

I imagine Meyer would have still preferred Jacksonville even if they ended up with the # 2 pick.  

You’ll be more excited about any current interviews over Meyer ? Really?

i think he’s weird too but there is no way