NFL Coaching & GM Carousel Updates and Predictions

Should be interesting to see if the Jets make an official offer to one of the two finalist sometime this afternoon/tonight. Due to playoff restrictions, they cant follow up with Daboll or Staley till next week, I think. Also, I think Daboll is a lock for the Chargers job and Staley may stay put or go to Detroit.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

25 minutes ago, football guy said:

image.png.3fc4c08dd173c6b49543b11cb9f11792.png

Notes 

• Atlanta: hiring Fontenot is an indication that Joe Brady is at the very least the runner up for that job. Arthur Smith is likely their top candidate with Brady coming in second, but may strike on Brady to avoid risk. 
  • Detroit: Brad Holmes is the favorite for the GM job, but if they hire Ed Dodds, the likelihood Saleh goes there increases. Assuming its Holmes, there's a number of ways the HC could shake out. Arthur Smith, Marvin Lewis, even Todd Bowles could be in the cards, as well as opening up the search to include Brandon Staley. 
  • Houston: They will probably be the last team to hire a coach. It's not a desirable situation, and I ultimately think they'll be forced to settle on someone. However, they requested Brandon Staley which is significant... he's part of that John Carroll University tree (so is Caserio) and I think the Texans will try their hardest to convince him to take the job if he chooses to entertain it. 
  • Los Angeles: it's Daboll's to lose. I think that one is all but official. If Daboll were to turn it down for whatever reason, they may open it back up but I think it would be Staley. 
  • New York: the Jets are Saleh, Smith, Staley. There's rumor of a 4th candidate, potentially from college ranks, but I haven't figured out who it is. There's also rumor Staley is a bit hesitant to take the job (any job for that matter) which I think could turn off the Jets/force them to act more quickly. As far as I know, the rest of the guys who have been mentioned aren't among their top 4 preferred candidates. 
  • Philadelphia: No idea what's going on here. I don't know how desirable that job is considering their cap situation/aging roster, and Jeff Lurie gets the hype of being a great owner but I know for sure agents don't appreciate his meddling. 

My Predictions

image.png.98b042238786ee9be5ea562e529168ab.png

• I think Atlanta will add Joe Brady when Arthur Smith decides to take the Detroit job. Smith is the top candidate for many jobs, but I think he'll prefer to have his choice of QB (I believe he will want to work with Stafford) and will get a 5-year deal to align himself with Brad Holmes (I realize Holmes just landed the job as I was writing this) in an organization that has had a lot of tolerance and patience. 
  • I think the Jets will land Saleh once the chips fall into place. He's a finalist for the job and fits the profile of coach they're looking for. 
  • I have no idea what to think about Houston and Philadelphia... I'm expecting outside-the-box hires. I think Staley will be their top candidate but he might not take it, and ultimately, they promote Tim Kelly (kind of how Cleveland did). Kelly has a good relationship with Watson so while not Bieniemy, it could get his trust back, and if he sinks, they can worry about a HC next year when things calm down there. 
  • New York: the Jets are Saleh, Smith, Staley. There's rumor of a 4th candidate, potentially from college ranks, but I haven't figured out who it is. There's also rumor Staley is a bit hesitant to take the job (any job for that matter) which I think could turn off the Jets/force them to act more quickly. As far as I know, the rest of the guys who have been mentioned aren't among their top 4 preferred candidates. 

GUY HAS OPTIONS

27 minutes ago, football guy said:

Notes 

• Atlanta: hiring Fontenot is an indication that Joe Brady is at the very least the runner up for that job. Arthur Smith is likely their top candidate with Brady coming in second, but may strike on Brady to avoid risk. 
  • Detroit: Brad Holmes is the favorite for the GM job, but if they hire Ed Dodds, the likelihood Saleh goes there increases. Assuming its Holmes, there's a number of ways the HC could shake out. Arthur Smith, Marvin Lewis, even Todd Bowles could be in the cards, as well as opening up the search to include Brandon Staley. 
  • Houston: They will probably be the last team to hire a coach. It's not a desirable situation, and I ultimately think they'll be forced to settle on someone. However, they requested Brandon Staley which is significant... he's part of that John Carroll University tree (so is Caserio) and I think the Texans will try their hardest to convince him to take the job if he chooses to entertain it. 
  • Los Angeles: it's Daboll's to lose. I think that one is all but official. If Daboll were to turn it down for whatever reason, they may open it back up but I think it would be Staley. 
  • Philadelphia: No idea what's going on here. I don't know how desirable that job is considering their cap situation/aging roster, and Jeff Lurie gets the hype of being a great owner but I know for sure agents don't appreciate his meddling. 

My Predictions

• I think Atlanta will add Joe Brady when Arthur Smith decides to take the Detroit job. Smith is the top candidate for many jobs, but I think he'll prefer to have his choice of QB (I believe he will want to work with Stafford) and will get a 5-year deal to align himself with Brad Holmes (I realize Holmes just landed the job as I was writing this) in an organization that has had a lot of tolerance and patience. 
  • I think the Jets will land Saleh once the chips fall into place. He's a finalist for the job and fits the profile of coach they're looking for. 
  • I have no idea what to think about Houston and Philadelphia... I'm expecting outside-the-box hires. I think Staley will be their top candidate but he might not take it, and ultimately, they promote Tim Kelly (kind of how Cleveland did). Kelly has a good relationship with Watson so while not Bieniemy, it could get his trust back, and if he sinks, they can worry about a HC next year when things calm down there. 

thanks for this.

Saleh second interview with Chargers certainly worries me. I think it will be Daboll there, but what happens if Daboll decides to go to Houston by the chance of God... what if Chargers don't want to wai.t for him and pounce on someone else... these things all come into play. 

In which case, the Jets will be in a horrific spot. Arthur Smith is going to be deliberate; he will take the job that he feels suits him best. It will be more long-term focused. If he takes Atlanta's job, then Joe Brady will be an option for teams. If he goes elsewhere, Atlanta likely pounces on Brady. 

Saleh has a lot of power because he fits what teams are looking for and the most likely to bring a star OC with him. Jacksonville is out, but now the Chargers are back in play - leaving the Jets in the same position they were before. It's not known who Holmes will want to hire yet, so can't really project that one with certainty either. I think Arthur Smith is in a position to pick his job since there are 3 teams who have him as their clear-cut favorite (ATL, DET, PHI). 

If rumors are true that Staley will hesitate - and he does - with Saleh choosing to go to say Detroit or LA... the Jets will be left looking at plan B guys. Maybe that includes Daboll? Maybe Brady? Maybe Pederson? Either way it's a bad look and a tough development for the team.

Prepare for an interesting 48-72 hours Jets fans. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Should be interesting to see if the Jets make an official offer to one of the two finalist sometime this afternoon/tonight. Due to playoff restrictions, they cant follow up with Daboll or Staley till next week, I think. Also, I think Daboll is a lock for the Chargers job and Staley may stay put or go to Detroit.

I'm sure they've already talked money and terms. We won't get an announcement of an offer, we'll get one when an offer has been agreed to. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I don't understand how folks can believe that Saleh spends the night in ny, has the steak, leaves and comes back 

He's gone you guys 

He's not really going out for a pack of smokes 

Joe Douglas, himself, walked out the door and came back. It happens all the time. It's negotiation. 

I'm not saying he's going to be the guy, but I am saying he's definitely not out of it. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, slats said:

Joe Douglas, himself, walked out the door and came back. It happens all the time. It's negotiation. 

I'm not saying he's going to be the guy, but I am saying he's definitely not out of it. 

normally i'd chalk all this up to negotiating and posturing.  but with the jets, there's such a history of not getting their guy and people avoiding the team that it's easy to interpret any hesitation as a negative.  i'm still guessing saleh takes another gig.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

46 minutes ago, football guy said:

Notes 

My Predictions

Good job, thanks for putting it all down in one place

Just now, slats said:

Ultimately, it's a referendum on Joe Douglas' reputation around the league, and just how good it is. The Jets organization has a league-wide reputation as a career black hole, and rightly so. It'll be up to JD to convince his top candidate(s) that he has this team moving in the right direction, and that the Jets are the place to be. Not an easy sell. The draft picks and cap room help. 

douglas can only do so much.  trading adams for that haul helped.  douglas has also made it clear that they're not married to darnold.  he had a good draft.  it takes the right minded coach to want to be the guy to finally turn the team around.  huge reputational upside here to the guy who can do it.

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

The Jets can make an offer at any time. Let's say Arthur Smith and Robert Saleh say you know what, I want ATL and DET. Jets don't have to go through another interview if they were convinced they want Staley. They can make him an offer. If they're not convinced, or Staley doesn't really want it/explores other options, they can turn around and offer Daboll the job. The problem with all of this is that these guys have options... it's not like it ends with the Jets. If we were the last team standing yeah maybe they accept, but we're not. 

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

normally i'd chalk all this up to negotiating and posturing.  but with the jets, there's such a history of not getting their guy and people avoiding the team that it's easy to interpret any hesitation as a negative.  i'm still guessing saleh takes another gig.

How many HC's that the Jets wanted walked out?  Who? And not Ruhle who never was given an offer 

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

Saleh second interview with Chargers certainly worries me. I think it will be Daboll there, but what happens if Daboll decides to go to Houston by the chance of God... what if Chargers don't want to wai.t for him and pounce on someone else... these things all come into play. 

In which case, the Jets will be in a horrific spot. Arthur Smith is going to be deliberate; he will take the job that he feels suits him best. It will be more long-term focused. If he takes Atlanta's job, then Joe Brady will be an option for teams. If he goes elsewhere, Atlanta likely pounces on Brady. 

Saleh has a lot of power because he fits what teams are looking for and the most likely to bring a star OC with him. Jacksonville is out, but now the Chargers are back in play - leaving the Jets in the same position they were before. It's not known who Holmes will want to hire yet, so can't really project that one with certainty either. I think Arthur Smith is in a position to pick his job since there are 3 teams who have him as their clear-cut favorite (ATL, DET, PHI). 

If rumors are true that Staley will hesitate - and he does - with Saleh choosing to go to say Detroit or LA... the Jets will be left looking at plan B guys. Maybe that includes Daboll? Maybe Brady? Maybe Pederson? Either way it's a bad look and a tough development for the team.

Deja Vu

32 minutes ago, football guy said:

The optimistic take away of the bold is that if you believe experience matters this is a position the Jets have been in a lot 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, football guy said:

Is there a possibility that it could be David Shaw?  Luke Fickell was another college candidate linked to the Eagles.  

• Upvote 1