Jump to content

NFL Coaching & GM Carousel Updates and Predictions


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Notes  Atlanta: hiring Fontenot is an indication that Joe Brady is at the very least the runner up for that job. Arthur Smith is likely their top candidate with Brady coming in second, but may

I'm sorry, but before I consider this post I'll need you to provide @Maxman with two forms of government ID, a tissue sample, a Harrah's Rewards card, your Detla SkyMiles login, and no less than 3 Bed

Ultimately, it's a referendum on Joe Douglas' reputation around the league, and just how good it is. The Jets organization has a league-wide reputation as a career black hole, and rightly so. It'll be

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

still holding out hope that we give brady a second interview.  i forgot the source but someone said he killed the first one. if not saleh would be great if he wants the job. still surprised we haven't heard anything on pedersen

I thought Pederson said he was taking at least a year off to reflect, but maybe that was just a rumor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

If Plan B guys are Brady, Daboll, Wink, Staley, etc....i'm totally fine with that. 

Now if we have to go to the Plan C guys...Marvin Lewis, well then F me.

If that happens, the capricious football gods will be barebacking all of us Jet fans.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

still holding out hope that we give brady a second interview.  i forgot the source but someone said he killed the first one. if not saleh would be great if he wants the job. still surprised we haven't heard anything on pedersen

Was a report that he's taking a year off.  Probaby true or his name surely would have come up somewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

If Plan B guys are Brady, Daboll, Wink, Staley, etc....i'm totally fine with that. 

Now if we have to go to the Plan C guys...Marvin Lewis, well then F me.

Well another team went with plan D and ended up with this bearded f$&khead...

 

C390384C-1C2A-412B-A5AA-76A847B6EFF7.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t see Arthur Smith coming to the Jets. His father founded FedEx.  The Smiths will be able to judge character and competence.  He is from Nashville.  I don’t see him working for the Johnsons in NJ.

Saleh may be from Michigan, but most people who leave there are glad they did.  Saleh is also a package with good Shanahan-trained offensive coaches.  Down the coast in LA coaching Herbert seems like too good of a fit.  He has a young family and will care about the degree they get uprooted.  NJ could also be a big culture shock for them.  

Daboll and Brady seem too wonky and do not exude overall leadership characteristics.  I am not feeling it.

Martindale seems a bit too unkempt for the Johnsons and will remind them of Rex too much.  But he should be Plan C after Saleh and Pederson.  

I think it is more important that the Jets not screw this up than they hire the perfect person.   I would make compelling offers to Saleh and then Pederson.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, football guy said:

Saleh second interview with Chargers certainly worries me. I think it will be Daboll there, but what happens if Daboll decides to go to Houston by the chance of God... what if Chargers don't want to wai.t for him and pounce on someone else... these things all come into play. 

In which case, the Jets will be in a horrific spot. Arthur Smith is going to be deliberate; he will take the job that he feels suits him best. It will be more long-term focused. If he takes Atlanta's job, then Joe Brady will be an option for teams. If he goes elsewhere, Atlanta likely pounces on Brady. 

Saleh has a lot of power because he fits what teams are looking for and the most likely to bring a star OC with him. Jacksonville is out, but now the Chargers are back in play - leaving the Jets in the same position they were before. It's not known who Holmes will want to hire yet, so can't really project that one with certainty either. I think Arthur Smith is in a position to pick his job since there are 3 teams who have him as their clear-cut favorite (ATL, DET, PHI). 

If rumors are true that Staley will hesitate - and he does - with Saleh choosing to go to say Detroit or LA... the Jets will be left looking at plan B guys. Maybe that includes Daboll? Maybe Brady? Maybe Pederson? Either way it's a bad look and a tough development for the team.

 

Prepare for an interesting 48-72 hours Jets fans. 

Since they both went to the same high school and only 1-2 yrs apart, just how close are Daboll and Telesco?

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing we have to remember, is while we are looking at it from the Jets side.  Meaning this is the first time they're meeting someone like Saleh in person, it's also the first time Saleh is meeting the Jets.  Yes, in the past a second interview usually meant an offer was coming but, this year these candidates don't have the luxury of touring the facility and meeting staffs the first time around.  So the second interview becomes less of a formality and more of a chance for the candidate to really get introduced to the facility, the area they would be moving to etc...  I think this is important just to remind ourselves that a candidate not signing after that second interview doesn't mean it's not happening, it just means that they also want to do their due diligence. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Since they both went to the same high school and only 1-2 yrs apart, just how close are Daboll and Telesco?

I don't even know that it's a matter of being close while in high school, but it's the familiarity. Telesco still pays close attention to the Bills as an outsider and remains connected with the team (part of the reason for hiring Anthony Lynn in the first place). They are looking for a coaching staff who will continue to develop Herbert and have placed less emphasis on the type of coach and more on what's best for Herbert. They have a talent-rich team with guys who are "young veterans" that hold themselves accountable and have grown into leadership roles. Lynn left them in a good spot culturally. Daboll just seems to be a natural fit, especially considering what he's done with Josh Allen. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, football guy said:

Relevant

Jets have to be feeling the pressure to get this done soon.  Especially like you said with everyone vying for the same candidate.. They need to make extremely competitive offers soon in order to get what they want. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Jets have to be feeling the pressure to get this done soon.  Especially like you said with everyone vying for the same candidate.. They need to make extremely competitive offers soon in order to get what they want. 

If things go according to plan the Jets will have a HC by Monday. If they don't then we know the process went yolo

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve seen Martindale’s name floated around. Could he be the mystery candidate? Assuming your hunch of it bring a college guy is incorrect. If it’s a college guy, maybe it’s Shaw since he and Douglas know each other.

In the event we miss out on our other 3 guys, got to imagine he comes into play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

If Plan B guys are Brady, Daboll, Wink, Staley, etc....i'm totally fine with that. 

Now if we have to go to the Plan C guys...Marvin Lewis, well then F me.

Call me crazy, I think Marvin Lewis would do a good job here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

We’ve seen Martindale’s name floated around. Could he be the mystery candidate?

In the event we miss out on our other 3 guys, got to imagine he comes into play.

If only it were possible for the Bills and Ravens to lose. Need the Rams to lose as well.

I use the word mystery loosely. I think its a college coach that doesn't want the word to get out that he's talking to the NFL because if it did, the university will deal with a sh*tstorm of parents and recruits calling and demanding answers

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, football guy said:

I use the word mystery loosely. I think its a college coach that doesn't want the word to get out that he's talking to the NFL because if it did, the university will deal with a sh*tstorm of parents and recruits calling and demanding answers

I wonder which one . . . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, football guy said:

I use the word mystery loosely. I think its a college coach that doesn't want the word to get out that he's talking to the NFL because if it did, the university will deal with a sh*tstorm of parents and recruits calling and demanding answers

I agree, theres no reason to keep Martindale's name secret if thats their late candidate

Im sorta taking the quietness surrounding the Jets to mean they interviewed their two picks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, football guy said:

David Shaw, Dan Mullen, Luke Fickell, PJ Fleck are the most realistic names

Matt Campbell said no. 

Pat Fitzgerald (probably) said no. 

 

David Shaw would be pretty intriguing to me. 

Don't have a big opinion on the other guys. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, football guy said:

I use the word mystery loosely. I think its a college coach that doesn't want the word to get out that he's talking to the NFL because if it did, the university will deal with a sh*tstorm of parents and recruits calling and demanding answers

Got it.

Then David Shaw would be my guess. He and Douglas crossed paths in Baltimore. That would be a homerun hire in my book.

Thanks for the info. This coaching search has been entertaining.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, football guy said:

David Shaw, Dan Mullen, Luke Fickell, PJ Fleck are the most realistic names

Matt Campbell said no. 

Pat Fitzgerald (probably) said no. 

 

I'll bet it's Fitzgerald. Only one that makes sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, football guy said:

David Shaw, Dan Mullen, Luke Fickell, PJ Fleck are the most realistic names

Matt Campbell said no. 

Pat Fitzgerald (probably) said no. 

 

Besides the idea that they could bring in the mystery college candidate for an interview and we wouldn’t know about it, are you hearing anything about what the Jets plans are for the next couple of days?  Smith has interviews into the weekend, and Saleh has at least one (Chargers) and may be in a holding pattern to see what the Chargers and Lions (and Jags/Meyer) decide before coming back to us.  Staley and Daboll can’t be interviewed until their games are completed this weekend.  Will the Jets just sit tight and wait for now, or might they bring in a Plan B/C candidate or two (Brady, Eberflus, Lewis) for 2nd interviews to line up contingencies?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, varjet said:

I don’t see Arthur Smith coming to the Jets. His father founded FedEx.  The Smiths will be able to judge character and competence.  He is from Nashville.  I don’t see him working for the Johnsons in NJ.

Saleh may be from Michigan, but most people who leave there are glad they did.  Saleh is also a package with good Shanahan-trained offensive coaches.  Down the coast in LA coaching Herbert seems like too good of a fit.  He has a young family and will care about the degree they get uprooted.  NJ could also be a big culture shock for them.  

Daboll and Brady seem too wonky and do not exude overall leadership characteristics.  I am not feeling it.

Martindale seems a bit too unkempt for the Johnsons and will remind them of Rex too much.  But he should be Plan C after Saleh and Pederson.  

I think it is more important that the Jets not screw this up than they hire the perfect person.   I would make compelling offers to Saleh and then Pederson.  

NJ is not a huge culture shock from the SF area.  LA is nothing like SF.  I live in Morris County and it is suburban and semi-rural out here. And housing prices will be affordable in comparison to the SF area.  LA and SF are two different worlds and are 6 hours apart  - about as far as Rochester from NYC. California is not homogenous.  Now Saleh may be more intrigued by the Chargers as an opportunity, but I don't think geography will matter.  And with the money he will be making, he can live in the most desirable towns wherever he goes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...