Najee Harris

nycdan

The big question of whether a RB is ever worth a 1st round pick is fair.  

But just to throw some data on the fire, here are Harris' stats compared to Barkley's (college).

Barkley:

image.png

Harris:

image.png

The career stats are remarkably similar.  And when looking at the last two seasons for each, when both were getting maximum reps, they are still almost mirror images.

So while I absolutely question whether #2 was a good place to pick Barkley, if you assume it was in the ballpark, then how can you not love Harris at #23?

BTW, Harris had similar or better numbers vs. Fournette (#4), Elliot (#4) and Gurley (#10).

I honestly don't see how he gets down to #23 but if he did, I think he's an easy pick there.  They only question is, are you getting Elliot/Gurley type production or Barkley/Fournette?  It's a risk I'm much happier taking at #23 than in the top 10.

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

But just to throw some data on the fire, here are Harris' stats compared to Barkley's (college).

Barkley:

image.png

Harris:

image.png

The career stats are remarkably similar.  And when looking at the last two seasons for each, when both were getting maximum reps, they are still almost mirror images.

So while I absolutely question whether #2 was a good place to pick Barkley, if you assume it was in the ballpark, then how can you not love Harris at #23?

BTW, Harris had similar or better numbers vs. Fournette (#4), Elliot (#4) and Gurley (#10).

I honestly don't see how he gets down to #23 but if he did, I think he's an easy pick there.  They only question is, are you getting Elliot/Gurley type production or Barkley/Fournette?  It's a risk I'm much happier taking at #23 than in the top 10.

Not that similar when you consider Harris was on an offense with the Heisman Trophy winner at WR, and and OL that will send 3 players to the NFL in the top 3 rounds.

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Barkley:

image.png

Harris:

image.png

Good post, solid point.  I think you will see Harris get drafted in the mid 20 range.  That said, I hope it's not the Jets.  I love the player but I'm just strongly against taking RB's in the 1st RD.  Especially a team talent deprived like the Jets.  Fournette and Gurley are shot and other teams, Elliot is shot and Barkley has been good but nowhere near worth then #2 overall pick.  While they've all been productive, I dont think any of them were worth the pick and each team could have taken a much more impactful player at the selection....maybe not Gurley...but definitely in the case of Elliot/Fournette/Barkley.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Not that similar when you consider Harris was on an offense with the Heisman Trophy winner at WR, and and OL that will send 3 players to the NFL in the top 3 rounds.

True but it's not like Barkley didnt have incredible talent on that team.  McSorley was on the Heisman ballot, Chris Godwin, Miles Sanders, Mike Geisecki, McGovern, DaeSean Hamilton...a bunch of pros,....not Bama's offense but it's not like he was doing it all alone.  

The 53 yard hurdle play that didn’t even end up being a touchdown was the longest play of Harris’ career.

If I’m a fan of the Packers, Steelers, Chiefs, Saints...any team with a good offense in place, I’m thrilled about the prospect of adding Harris. Even the Ravens.

He comes to the Jets with no quarterback or big play receiver and teams are going to stack boxes without any worry of him or anyone else creating a big play and largely neutralize him.

I dont' really rate RB prospects strictly on college production.  There are plenty of other factors I think are more important.  OTOH, I think that late first is where you get your RB.  Locks them up for 5 years which gives you time for a succession plan and you want plug and play guys.  No reason to risk a highish pick on a guy that you need to develop.   I'm not that worried about teams stacking the box.  First of all, if they are able to do that beyond next season our new coach sucks.  Second, if they do we can throw it over the top to our speed WRs.  Our guys are not that great, but they are fast, even if we lose Perriman.  If I am the QB I say "Stack away, mother****ers!" 

On 1/14/2021 at 12:53 PM, JiF said:

Good post, solid point.  I think you will see Harris get drafted in the mid 20 range.  That said, I hope it's not the Jets.  I love the player but I'm just strongly against taking RB's in the 1st RD.  Especially a team talent deprived like the Jets.  Fournette and Gurley are shot and other teams, Elliot is shot and Barkley has been good but nowhere near worth then #2 overall pick.  While they've all been productive, I dont think any of them were worth the pick and each team could have taken a much more impactful player at the selection....maybe not Gurley...but definitely in the case of Elliot/Fournette/Barkley.

Just to play devils advocate, because overall I agree with you, but those RB's mentioned were all top 10 picks, most top 5. 23 is very different imo.

Top 10 RB prob not on board, at 23 depends on WR's available and what we did at #2, but definitely would have to consider it.