Robert Saleh Hired: MERGED

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Douglas has critics on this board, but I think the main thing those folks underestimate is how well respected he is around the league (look at some of the baller trades he has made) - you combine that reputation with all of the draft capital he has, and you easily have a top 3 destination (only behind Jax and SD) 

Guilty as charged. 

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, HessStation said:

I can’t remember the last time if any the Jets had REAL football guys at both HC and GM. This is kind of exciting 

This. It’s probably been since the Parcells era (and Parcells was the HC and GM) that the Jets had a GM/HC combo (not to mention LaFleur at OC) that was so widely respected around the league and in NFL circles. Doesn’t guarantee anything, but it’s as confident as I’ve felt about the overall organizational structure since at least the early Rex years, and probably even longer since that was highly combustible from the start, Tannenbaum wasn’t a personnel guy, and Schotty was meh.

5 minutes ago, Marshmello said:

HYPED. 

All I want now is in his press conference de is to him to look directly into the camera and talk to us-the fans with a passionate speech about what he plans to bring out of his guys. 

already ready to run through a wall for this dude. 

hopefully this leads to some good FA signings as well, and signals change to players now, and not just the fans. 

Things are looking up!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, rillo said:

Can't say I know anything about the guy but I wish him the best. Indifferent to the hire.

Thanks for this.  Exactly how I feel.   In all seriousness, why am I not excited about Saleh's hire.

Let's hope he works out and is on board with getting Darnold as far from this franchise as possible.

8 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Ad hominem. What is he saying that is wrong?

The Jets have finished in last place 4 of the last 5 seasons in their division(except last year when they finished 3rd).

The Jets have the longest playoff drought in the NFL by far - 10 seasons, second closest is the Cardinals with 5 years.

The less said about the Johnsons, the better.

You have the worst QB in the NFL as your QB1 along with some of the worst offensive skill players in the league.

This is a horrible, horrible job and it will take a miracle worker to figure it out.

What are you? My Dad? Jesus...

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, JetHammer said:

My only nagging thought is that the 49ers d was ranked highly with superstar pass rush and sold secondary. As much as I like the characters in d and the model for building of our d, we don't have superstars. Sure we need pass rush and corners.

I am positive however. Seems like the anti bowles interns of personality, and I hope shanahan's offence comes this way too ?

Look at their injuries this year past year...

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Marshmello said:

Happy we got our guy but that it pure PR spin coming straight from the Jets. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the deal came together once the Lions decided not to hire Ed Dodds as GM (reports being that he was a duo with Saleh). Regardless, I’m pleased. Hope we hear of a good DC hire since I do not want Saleh running the D.

High risk move both the HC and the OC have very thin resumes.   I lived in AZ the last 6 years. (Just moved back to the NE).  AZ hired Steve Wilks because he had great leadership abilities.  He was a fantastic person but he was in way over his head.  

On the plus side, I love Shanahan and the SF organization.  I think he's the smartest HC in the league.  He's very high on Saleh and hopefully Saleh unlike Wilks is ready.  

seems like a really good hire.  i'm not always that keen on newbies but he seems to have some fire that was missing from gase and bowles.  coaches need to have the fire and the desire to win.  hopefully he'll hire good coordinators and not try to run one side of the ball or the other.

• Upvote 1

A big thanks to Christopher Johnson for allowing his GM to do his job. You really shouldn't be getting credit for doing the right thing, but based on how poorly you handled this organization for the past 4 years, this is encouraging. You also get credit for bringing in Joe Douglas. While JD hasn't been perfect, I still see enough to be optimistic about the future.

Saleh all the way to big things in New York. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

They have to pick up his 5th year contract by May 3.

I can't see any team in the NFL picking up Sam Darnold's fifth year option. Clearly Darnold has not played not even close to good enough to guarantee him 25M for year 5. 

Whether he remains on the Jets or is traded, Sam will be playing out his forth year and that will be that.

If he suddenly shocks the world and plays lights out in year four...whatever team Sam is playing for at that time will either sign him to a new deal or franchise tag him for that fifth year.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

We’ve seen this movie before. We hire the hot coordinator, over and over again.

I hope this all works out don’t get me wrong but I ain’t holding my breath. 

your options are generally hire a coordinator with no HC experience or a retread who more than likely got fired from him last job.  we've gone both routes in the past and it's not exactly like there was a "bill parcells" available (and of course we had to trade for parcells).

saleh at least seems to be at the top of the "hot" candidate list this time.  not sure bowles had 7 teams looking to bring him in.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

Owner hires GM. GM hires head coach.  Hopefully head coach hires his own team around him.   What a novel idea

Yeah got to give credit where it was due. Chris met the coach before he left jsut to make sure the fit was right. Well done Joe D. Time will tell but this def seems like a great move, unlike every coach since rex, which never seemed like good moves.

43 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

your options are generally hire a coordinator with no HC experience or a retread who more than likely got fired from him last job.  we've gone both routes in the past and it's not exactly like there was a "bill parcells" available (and of course we had to trade for parcells).

saleh at least seems to be at the top of the "hot" candidate list this time.  not sure bowles had 7 teams looking to bring him in.  

no, Bowles and Dan Quinn were the hot candidates then