Robert Saleh Hired: MERGED

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

It is well beyond wishful thinking that LaFleur can fix Darnold.  Borderline delusional and I can't believe people are willing to WASTE another season with him just because it's cap friendly. Sorry.  Not a good enough reason to keep Darnold here.  

I dont think its just keeping darnold.  Its keeping darnold and trading down to acquire more picks to stack the team.

I dont think anyone is asking for darnold and stay at 2 and make the pick there.

Keeping darnold equates to stockpiling draft picks.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't know, my friend.  But I know he seemed to find them his rookie year.  I know he found them during a handful of games at times under Gase.

The thing about LaFleur's system though, Dave, is that you don't need to be a very fast processor post snap.  70% of the work is done pre-snap at the LOS is my understanding.  Gase rarely did simple things like motion his TE's or WR's.  He almost never seemed to move more than 1 player pre-snap to try to tip whether the D was in zone or man.  I also think Gase tried to control Darnold like a robot at times, probably wishing it was Madden and he could just hit the A and B button to throw, etc.

Again, I have no idea whether better coaching, a better system fit and better players will move Darnold from being the 32nd ranked QB to the 30th, or if it will help him make a bigger jump like Jared Goff did when getting out from under Jeff Fisher and to Sean McVay.  At this point, I just have to hope that JD, Saleh and LaFleur are smart enough to know that answer.

Find them?  Not much.  You are seeing things.  His stats don't lie.  Your eyes don't lie when he constantly  overthrows or just misses open guys or just doesn't find them and then it's too late.  Worst QB stats in the league too.  It is NOT going to change.  Keeping Darnold wastes all of our time and that of our new HC.  The kid is as dumb as a rock out there. It's not his fault the brain is slow and it's not fixable with a new coach.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, JiF said:

I legit have no clue how this will work out and really have zero reaction or emotion toward the hire but this is pretty cool.  Hopefully he’s good. 

We can never really know how a HC will work out, so many moving parts, but the one thing I always liked about Saleh was that he seems to be a big time motivator and gets very into the game on the sidelines. Emotional HC's Always seemed to do well here, the key is can they sustain ? Rex Couldn't, Herm couldn't, Parcells Left, now we have Saleh and more in the way of Picks and FA money than we have ever had other than the year of 4 first rounders with Parcells. Should be interesting how Douglas and Saleh build this team ...it will no doubt be a young team and young players respond to this type of HC I can't wait to see how this all plays out Its the most excited I have been in 8 years when you add everything up

HC, GM, FA Money, Draft Picks ... This team should get better very quickly if we make all the right calls something similar to what San Fran Actually did more than once.

42 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Find them?  Not much.  You are seeing things.  His stats don't lie.  Your eyes don't lie when he constantly  overthrows or just misses open guys or just doesn't find them and then it's too late.  Worst QB stats in the league too.  It is NOT going to change.  Keeping Darnold wastes all of our time and that of our new HC.  The kid is as dumb as a rock out there. It's not his fault the brain is slow and it's not fixable with a new coach.

I agree .. I hate to be negative because I'm very excited about the Saleh Hire and the possibilities he may bring as OC and DC but I do feel this team needs to move on from Darnold for numerous reasons. 

• Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Just to be clear...you don't like Darnold, is that what you are saying? 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

My only nagging thought is that the 49ers d was ranked highly with superstar pass rush and sold secondary. As much as I like the characters in d and the model for building of our d, we don't have superstars. Sure we need pass rush and corners.

I am positive however. Seems like the anti bowles interns of personality, and I hope shanahan's offence comes this way too ?

Damn, I knew I shouldn't have gone to sleep!

I really worried he was gone when it didn't get done during the 2nd interview, but I did still have a feeling over the past day he was going to be the guy.

Great job by the Jets - went through their interviews, identified their top target, and then actually went out and got him.

Really impressed at the job JD & co did here.

Welcome, Coach Saleh!

• Sympathy 1

My only nagging thought is that the 49ers d was ranked highly with superstar pass rush and sold secondary. As much as I like the characters in d and the model for building of our d, we don't have superstars. Sure we need pass rush and corners.
I am positive however. Seems like the anti bowles interns of personality, and I hope shanahan's offence comes this way too
Defensive draft coming ... I like this hire from an image standpoint .. guy is intense . Dont really know much about his HC qualifications .. hope you guys educate me a bit ... they had studs on D in SF .. we have Q and Maye. Hoping for the best ... won't upvote or downvote this yet... seems like a jacked Pete Carrol.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, JetHammer said:

I am positive however. Seems like the anti bowles interns of personality, and I hope shanahan's offence comes this way too ?

That goes for any D in the league. Scheme can only get you so far. Greg Williams is a good DC btw, contrary to some opinions on here. 

we have someone I think the fans and players can gravitate to for once. It’s a good hire

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, choon328 said:

They aren't all going to fit every offense. Offensive coaches will have a preference at the QB position going into the draft. It's not about rankings, it's about fit. 

Wrong no competent coach or organization would force a player into a system, you mold the system to the player. And these are rookie QBs how can anyone say who will work in what system? It’s called projection not fact ?

35 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Wrong no competent coach or organization would force a player into a system, you mold the system to the player. And these are rookie QBs how can anyone say who will work in what system? It’s called projection not fact ?

Everything you just said was wrong and we are all now stupider for reading it

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

All it took was Saleh seeing that sht show in Philly. Perfect. 

Not at all far from the truth. So much for this being the worst landing spot. We may be up there lol, but where he interviewed after us in Philly is clearly worse.

• GM who - at least by reputation - is more of a football guy than a starched shirt
  • GM isn’t on the hot seat (HC candidates like that, so long as the GM doesn’t have a reputation for being a hard-on or a longer history of screwing up repeated drafts and FA periods like Maccagnan)
  • Lots of high draft picks (7 day 1-2 picks over the upcoming 2 drafts, and most of them are 1st rounders)
  • Plenty of cap room - enough to sign anybody - with the ability to clear still more from players they’re seeking to upgrade anyway (parting ways with Fant + Anderson + Lewis would clear another 20, but it’s doubtful they’re cut until their upgrades are rostered. Fant is the only one that requires an early decision.)
  • Reputation among fans aside, the acting owner at least gave the impression he’s staying out of the way, with the GM running the show, and merely wanted to meet with him before an offer is officially made (which is reasonable enough, and frankly it’s expected on any team)

Despite being the deserved butt of so many jokes, the Jets were a relative clean slate. They’ve got a $5MM sunk cost remaining with Darnold even if they part ways; that isn’t much. There is another $15MM sunk dead space from Macc stinker deals T.Johnson, L.Bell, and Enunwa, but they’re all fully off after ‘21; and with the cap dropping, by March it’s unlikely the Jets will still retain their commanding lead in dead cap space for this season).

Only thing that wouldn’t have made it a clean slate - other than the Jets’ crapper reputation - would be if Douglas said any new HC hire will only have Darnold, Morgan, and a low-level FA as his QBs. Unless their top candidate(s) truly believed in Darnold as well, that wouldn’t be much better than arranging a coordinator for the new HC.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Not at all far from the truth. So much for this being the worst landing spot.

• GM who - at least by reputation - is more of a football guy than a starched shirt
  • GM isn’t on the hot seat (HC candidates like that, so long as the GM doesn’t have a reputation for being a hard-on or a longer history of screwing up repeated drafts and FA periods like Maccagnan)
  • Lots of high draft picks (7 day 1-2 picks over the upcoming 2 drafts, and most of them are 1st rounders)
  • Plenty of cap room - enough to sign anybody - with the ability to clear still more from players they’re seeking to upgrade anyway (parting ways with Fant + Anderson + Lewis would clear another 20, but it’s doubtful they’re cut until their upgrades are rostered. Fant is the only one that requires an early decision.)
  • Reputation among fans aside, the acting owner at least gave the impression he’s staying out of the way, with the GM running the show, and merely wanted to meet with him before an offer is officially made (which is reasonable enough, and frankly it’s expected on any team)

Despite being the deserved butt of so many jokes, the Jets were a relative clean slate. They’ve got a $5MM sunk cost remaining with Darnold even if they part ways; that isn’t much. There is another $15MM sunk dead space from Macc stinker deals T.Johnson, L.Bell, and Enunwa, but they’re all fully off after ‘21; and with the cap dropping, by March it’s unlikely the Jets will still retain their commanding lead in dead cap space for this season).

Only thing that wouldn’t have made it a clean slate - other than the Jets’ crapper reputation - would be if Douglas said any new HC hire will only have Darnold, Morgan, and a low-level FA as his QBs. Unless their top candidate(s) truly believed in Darnold as well, that wouldn’t be much better than arranging a coordinator for the new HC.

Douglas has critics on this board, but I think the main thing those folks underestimate is how well respected he is around the league (look at some of the baller trades he has made) - you combine that reputation with all of the draft capital he has, and you easily have a top 3 destination (only behind Jax and SD) 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

It doesn’t sound like he had anything to do with the hire 

Like I posted in the meltdown thread: no offer for a serious job has ever been extended that had an acceptance window that closes when the interview ends. This isn't a dishwasher job at IHOP.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It doesn’t sound like he had anything to do with the hire 

Agree. Last time he put his thumb on the scale was extending Bowles/Maccagnan, and then a year later retaining Maccagnan until he was Gase’d). But that stems more from him admittedly not knowing which guy(s) to hire in their places than anything else.

I’ve got a low opinion of both Johnson brothers, but the micro-managing reputation is and has been way overblown. So far as I can tell, there isn’t a single ex-employee going back 20 years who’s even let such a sentiment leak anonymously. The only really obvious time one of them stepped in over the GM was Woody firing Mangini over a decade ago, and even that’s probably because Tannenbaum was so tight with the HC. Even this one I can’t imagine Douglas wasn’t fully aware Gase had to go & was behind it as well, even if he was allowed the leeway to play good cop privately & say this command came from above.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, jgb said:

Like I posted in the meltdown thread: no offer for a serious job has ever been extended that had an acceptance window that closes when the interview ends. This isn't a dishwasher job at IHOP.

I never feared that he would choose philly over this job - that Philly job is a tough gig.

Your team is over the cap and  has an owner who fires winning coaches. Consider that Lurie has now fired:

1) Andy Reid (one of the winningest coaches of all time) after 14 seasons of almost nothing but winning because of one bad year. 

2) Doug Pederson after a Super Bowl title and 3 playoff appearances in 4 years because of one bad year. According to Aikman, it was because Lurie wanted to stick with Wentz and Pederson wanted to go with Hurts moving forward. But Lurie even publicly admitted that Pederson didn’t deserve to fired, but that he chose to do it anyway. Why would anyone want to work for that guy?

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree. Last time he put his thumb on the scale was extending Bowles/Maccagnan, and then a year later retaining Maccagnan until he was Gase’d). But that stems more from him admittedly not knowing which guy(s) to hire in their places than anything else.

I’ve got a low opinion of both Johnson brothers, but the micro-managing reputation is and has been way overblown. So far as I can tell, there isn’t a single ex-employee going back 20 years who’s even let such a sentiment leak anonymously. The only really obvious time one of them stepped in over the GM was Woody firing Mangini over a decade ago, and even that’s probably because Tannenbaum was so tight with the HC. Even this one I can’t imagine Douglas wasn’t fully aware Gase had to go & was behind it as well, even if he was allowed the leeway to play good cop privately & say this command came from above.  

Yep and Mangini was a special case because he had such a brutal late season collapse with a team that people thought could go to the Super Bowl and I just think Woody flipped out. 

I also heard a rumor that Mangini said some pretty harsh things to Woody that contributed to his firing, but no idea if that is true or not. 

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I never feared that he would choose philly over this job - that Philly job is a tough gig.

Your team is over the cap and  has an owner who fires winning coaches. Consider that Lurie has now fired:

1) Andy Reid (one of the winningest coaches of all time) after 14 seasons of almost nothing but winning because of one bad year. 

2) Doug Pederson after a Super Bowl title and 3 playoff appearances in 4 years because of one bad year. According to Aikman, it was because Lurie wanted to stick with Wentz and Pederson wanted to go with Hurts moving forward. But Lurie even publicly admitted that Pederson didn’t deserve to fired, but that he chose to do it anyway. Why would anyone want to work for that guy?

He probably was nearly certain he wanted the job when he left NJ. Just needed to discuss with wife and make Jets sweat a little. And the Jets did the same with the perfectly timed announcement that Smith was coming in later that same day. Just a bit of gamesmanship.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Huh????????  The west coast offense requires a smart, accurate qb who can diagnose the d and make quick decisions.  Darnold is awful at all of those aspects.  Its literally the worst offense for him.

I’m curious. Do you know anything about Shanahan’s offense?