Eric Bieniemy?

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Bieniemy doesn’t even have the full coordinator experience 

Biennemy may want to take a college HC position to prove his chops. Obviously those in the NFL think he’s a clipboard holder. Take on a team at an underperforming Power 5 program and turn it around. Then you’ll be a hot commodity 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Seriously.

He isn't the play caller, isn't the offense's architect, and is further propped up by both a dedicated running game coordinator and a dedicated passing coordinator (as well as someone else holding the title of Asst HC, for whatever that's worth). Oh yeah, and they've got Mahomes. And Hill. And Kelce. 

It can easily paint a picture of Bieniemy as someone incapable of - certainly unproven at - successfully standing on his own two feet: that of a valued assistant to an obviously competent HC, but an assistant nonetheless. He runs the offense's meetings at the practice facility, and Reid values his input. Meh.

Outside of the endorsement from Reid - and the league has been littered with fired HCs who came with HOF'er endorsements - I still can't figure out why specifically Bieniemy has this strong of a reputation of a guy who must be hired as someone's HC. I get that minority candidates are / have been snubbed, but there are others - including Saleh - that have demonstrated being better qualified, as they succeeded without someone else being the obvious brains behind the operation, yet didn't get 1/10 the attention EB has received. 

Is there anyone alive who thinks the Chiefs' offense would be anything other than elite if Bieniemy was hired away as someone else's HC? Therein lies his problem, despite a job title of OC of the NFL's #1 Offense: right or wrong, the outside impression is a Reid-Mahomes Chiefs would have enjoyed these elite results no matter who officially held the OC title.

Yup, guy could still be a big success as a HC, who knows but one has to question -- if Reid endorses him so strongly as a HC that is responsible for all facets of the game, why does he not hand over more responsibility to him in his current role?

Bieniemy may well need to "get out from under Reid" if he wants to prove his chops.  Frankly, I am surprised that Reid hasn't worked harder to reverse the perception that Bieniemy isn't a game day coach. Maybe give him playcalling responsibility with Reid retaining veto, or responsibility outside of the 2-minute drill. In fact, I expect Reid to do something like that next year to help his guy out if Bieniemy doesn't get hired this cycle.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, #90 said:

Brian Daboll?

We couldnt have waited?

5 year contract... No HC experience.

UGH.

I get it 90.  But this is a good one. When you dig in a research these guys you can sort of tell who should get the promotion. Traditionally the Jets have had idiots running things so they couldn't identify that. Saleh and/or Daboll were the only 2 qualified imo. Seriously. 

The Jets usually would have gone for Joe Brady or Arthur Smith and we would be sitting here in 2 years calling for change.  The OC he brought with him is really good too. He's the next wave of impressive young coaches.  This is a good day. 

47 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yup, guy could still be a big success as a HC, who knows but one has to question -- if Reid endorses him so strongly as a HC that is responsible for all facets of the game, why does he not hand over more responsibility to him in his current role?

Bieniemy may well need to "get out from under Reid" if he wants to prove his chops.  Frankly, I am surprised that Reid hasn't worked harder to reverse the perception that Bieniemy isn't a game day coach. Maybe give him playcalling responsibility with Reid retaining veto, or responsibility outside of the 2-minute drill. In fact, I expect Reid to do something like that next year to help his guy out if Bieniemy doesn't get hired this cycle.

He should do just that. He turned down a college HC job in 2020, but he must realize his star isn't going to rise any higher than it is right now in his current role. So either be a college HC or an OC for a different team, or have these accomplishments questioned.

His lack of landing an NFL HC gig suggests everyone thinks the results in KC would be the same without him, and - again, right or wrong - that he doesn't so clearly bring enough to the table to gamble on him as a HC.

• Upvote 1

He should do just that. He turned down a college HC job in 2020, but he must realize his star isn't going to rise any higher than it is right now in his current role. So either be a college HC or an OC for a different team, or have these accomplishments questioned.

His lack of landing an NFL HC gig suggests everyone thinks the results in KC would be the same without him, and - again, right or wrong - that he doesn't so clearly bring enough to the table to gamble on him as a HC.

Was just wondering, who is the last Jets coordinator to get interviewed for a HC position while he was still with Jets? Honestly can't remember. Unless Belichick got an interview under Parcells, the answer might be none in the last 25 years. 

It's a valid concern whether Bieniemy can duplicate the Reid offense on his own.  When Pederson was Reid's OC, he clearly stated that Reid called all the plays.  His job was to relay it to the QB.  No authority to make any changes.  He said this again when asked about Reich's role.  He called all the plays to Reich, who relayed them to the QB.  

29 minutes ago, jgb said:

Was just wondering, who is the last Jets coordinator to get interviewed for a HC position while he was still with Jets? Honestly can't remember. Unless Belichick got an interview under Parcells, the answer might be none in the last 25 years. 

Schottenheimer with Miami? I don't know if he actually interviewed - he may have turned them down - but they did request it, so that's good enough to qualify.

Pettine with Cleveland, after he left for Buffalo, but it's pretty close (he was interviewed because of the Jets' top-ranked defenses not the one-year Bills PA column improving slightly, from 27ppg to 24ppg). But that'd still get a * next to it since he was a year removed from the same coordinator position (under the same HC) on the Jets.

Lynn was just a RBC here and then, after 2 years in Buffalo with Rex, San Diego made him their HC. 

Herm was HC with the Jets when he got a HC interview with the Chiefs. Technically so was Belichick, in terms of formal permission, but the request was obvious.

Maybe I'm forgetting someone since 2000/Belichick, but no one's coming to mind.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, pointman said:

HC experience is that important? There is a reason they were a head coach and aren't anymore. I don't know about Salehd, but I am ok with it.

Exactly.  Last 3 HCs we hired with experience were Gase, Parcells and Kotite.  Parcells was already a HOFer when we hired him, so he was kind of a no-brainer.  And the other two presided over the worst Jet teams in history.

• Upvote 1

Schottenheimer with Miami? I don't know if he actually interviewed - he may have turned them down - but they did request it, so that's good enough to qualify.

Pettine with Cleveland, after he left for Buffalo, but it's pretty close (he was interviewed because of the Jets' top-ranked defenses not the one-year Bills PA column improving slightly, from 27ppg to 24ppg). But that'd still get a * next to it since he was a year removed from the same coordinator position (under the same HC) on the Jets.

Lynn was just a RBC here and then, after 2 years in Buffalo with Rex, San Diego made him their HC. 

Herm was HC with the Jets when he got a HC interview with the Chiefs. Technically so was Belichick, in terms of formal permission, but the request was obvious.

Maybe I'm forgetting someone since 2000/Belichick, but no one's coming to mind.

Wow nice memory. Pretty embarrassing track record lol. Since 1999, Belichick and Schotty. That's it.

29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

As I said in another thread, the league and the media talking heads will go absolutely batshi* crazy if Bienamy  does not get one of the HC gigs this time around.

I dont think so.  Hes only gotten a couple of interviews there isnt outrage.  There seems to be more questions on why Martindale hasnt been requested for an interview.  Also there are a few questionable issues in his past that would have to be discussed

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2021 at 6:43 AM, 32EBoozer said:

Biennemy may want to take a college HC position to prove his chops. Obviously those in the NFL think he’s a clipboard holder. Take on a team at an underperforming Power 5 program and turn it around. Then you’ll be a hot commodity 

Yeah, Biennemy is a mystery.  Teams  must have some attraction to him, he keeps on getting interviews. but no hires.  Under current NFL rules, it would be somewhat advantageous for a team to hire him.

Only thing I can think is he just isn't interviewing well for some reason.