Jets make history, hiring Robert Saleh to become NFL's first Muslim head coach

NYJets8

3 hours ago, NYJets8 said:

Saleh, whose family traces its roots to Lebanon, will be third Arab American NFL head coach, following in the footsteps of Abe Gibran and Rich Kotite, who are both of Lebanese descent, according to 

Image: David K. LiDavid K. Li

David K. Li is a breaking news reporter for NBC News.

Super psyched for this hire!  Just don’t like him being mentioned in the same sentence as Rich Kotite!

• Upvote 1

That’s awesome he and the Jets together broke a barrier and  are showing a beacon for change in this league, and with my next statement I don’t want to have that seem like I’m downplaying the importance of  such a first:

I don’t want him to be thought of as the first Muslim coach. I want him to be judged, applauded, recognized, and (hopefully never) criticized on his own merits as a man and a coach. Hopefully he wants that too. 

very happy with this hire and hopefully the future success he finds like we all believe he can, will normalize potential minority hires so we don’t have to beg teams to do it by giving them compensatory draft picks. 

that’s how this league and hopefully the country move forward. 

Go Jets!

• Upvote 1

I thought he was just an American? 

Did the media announce the 1st Polish coach? Irish? They wonder why this country is so damn divided! It's this identity politics. 

Can a guy just get hired anymore without this sh*t? Not one Jet fan including myself gives two f*cks about this guys ethnicity. 

I only care whether this dude can coach...that's it! 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Did the media announce the 1st Polish coach? Irish? They wonder why this country is so damn divided! It's this identity politics. 

Can a guy just get hired anymore without this sh*t? Not one Jet fan including myself gives two f*cks about this guys ethnicity. 

If it makes you feel better he also identifies as an earthling.  

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

So defensive...

• Upvote 2