Adam Schefter: I expect Sam Darnold to start for the Jets next season

Maxman

Darnold is or could be - or should be - an expensive veteran QB in 2021 if they stick with him. Not because of his own cap hit of $10MM, but because of the starter-level backup they should have in anticipation of it not working out for a 4th year in a row. There are other Jets players and coaches other than Sam Darnold, and their collective efforts for the year shouldn’t all be deemed worthless just because they gambled poorly on a QB who’s failed 3 of 3 seasons thus far.

If they add a ~$15MM veteran and keep Darnold, then the Jets’ QB positional cost could already be in the $25MM range this coming season. Seems a bit steep for the hope that he’ll be worth keeping at $25MM the following year, on the further hopes he turns into someone worthy of a $35-40MM/yr extension year after that. 

They could also go with Beathard/Mullens (don’t figure SF to re-sign both) and a rookie lower than #2 overall. But I don’t think that’s adequate enough. Going with Darnold - however much we’d all like or hope it to work out being irrelevant - at this point you have to figure carries a below 50/50 chance of panning out. Keeping him requires a serious (even if uninspiring) other option - e.g. Brissett - so Darnold doesn’t always get an undeserved starting nod by default. Also a decent possibility that Garoppolo will be released, but even if so I don’t think he can be had at $16MM or under to hold a clipboard for Darnold. Darnold would be the clipboard holder (at least until Jimmy G goes on IR in October), and I don’t see passing up on present/future day 2 pick(s) for Darnold to be the QB2. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

This is confusing because it hurts the teams long term development sticking with Darnold. Darnold would need to show Josh Allen levels of improvement AND have to out play the QBs taken in the First round for Joe Douglas to justify passing on one. 

So far Joe Douglas has proven to be at least competent, let’s hope he doesn’t Hackenberg us....

Because if they go the stick with Sam one more year, sign a vet route I will just start looking at the 2022 draft class and see who we will be hoping and praying to trade up for ? 

Sure will be fun mortgaging our future a year from now when we could’ve drafted a rookie at the top this year. Joe Douglas you will be on the hot seat and it will be well deserved.

• Upvote 4

I think this is a mistake - but I personally don't think it's a smokescreen. I don't think Schefter says something like this unless he has a pretty good feel for which way the Jets are leaning. He's saying the same stuff that the guys on this board who called Saleh to the Jets have been saying.

I do think plans can change with so much time before the draft, but I definitely think this is what the Jets are currently thinking. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

This is confusing because it hurts the teams long term development sticking with Darnold. Darnold would need to show Josh Allen levels of improvement AND have to out play the QBs taken in the First round for Joe Douglas to justify passing on one. 

So far Joe Douglas has proven to be at least competent, let’s hope he doesn’t Hackenberg us....

Because if they go the stick with Sam one more year, sign a vet route I will just start looking at the 2022 draft class and see who we will be hoping and praying to trade up for ? 

Sure will be fun mortgaging our future a year from now when we could’ve drafted a rookie at the top this year. Joe Douglas you will be on the hot seat and it will be well deserved.

I don’t see it with Darnold either but he doesn’t have to out play the top QBs taken to prove this is the right choice, if the player they take with that pick pans out and Darnold play upticks to more than serviceable, JD will have succeeded so far as to building a winning program, at least in my mind. 

I don’t see it as Darnold vs Fields in terms of evaluation, I see it as player at 2 & Darnold vs QB taken at 2 & mid round pick (darnold compensation). Which side builds a better team. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

You give Sam and if need be James Morgan a shot next year. Draft Sewell, Devonta, or trade down.

It works out with Sam great, you can extend him and I doubt he’d expect top dollar. If not you draft a qb with our 2 firsts next year. 

Tell me the last Ohio State/ BYU QB that worked out? 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

7 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

I don’t see it with Darnold either but he doesn’t have to out play the top QBs taken to prove this is the right choice, if the player they take with that pick pans out and Darnold play upticks to more than serviceable, JD will have succeeded so far as to building a winning program, at least in my mind. 

I don’t see it as Darnold vs Fields in terms of evaluation, I see it as player at 2 & Darnold vs QB taken at 2 & mid round pick (darnold compensation). Which side builds a better team. 

Well that’s you but me and fans like me and the media will roast Joe Douglas and the Jets for keeping a below average QB when we could’ve gotten the next Herbert. If Joe Douglas passes on a QB this year that is basically saying Sam is better than any alternative that can be had at 2. So if that’s the case Sam needs to show Josh Allen levels of improvement and outplay every first round QB or his talent evaluation skills will always be questioned.

Just like we all kill Macc for passing on Watson and Mahomes because we had Hackenberg this will be no different and nor should it be. Darnold has proven to be a bottom QB 3 seasons in a row, these rookies are blank canvases and Joe Douglas has a opportunity to select his pick of the liter.

If he gets cute and settles for a mediocre QB in Darnold that’s on HIM. Arizona already laid the blueprint on how to handle this situation no excuses I’m sorry 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

I tried embedding this but it won't work and now I can't find the ESPN tweet. But Adam Schefter talks about Saleh and then Darnold. Says Douglas loves him, the team wants to see what he can do in this new offense. He expects him to be back and start next season. Mentioned that the Jets will look to trade the # 2 pick or improve the OLine if they stay put.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=30714899

I don't buy it, not because I wouldn't want Darnold to return, but because based on the timelines of the Douglas contract and the Saleh contract, it would seem logical that they would want someone  also new at the QB position

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I don't expect Saleh and Douglas to hitch their jobs to a 4th year guy who has been bottom 5 for three straight years, and is from two regimes ago.

If Darnold looks anything like the Darnold we've seen thus far, it puts both of them on the hot seat. If Fields and/or Wilson play lights out, it puts them on the hot seat. If both of those happen, they get canned pretty quickly.

Drafting a QB resets the clock and is more likely to secure your job for the long run seeing as Darnold hasn't ever been consistently good.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Grandy said:

I don't expect Saleh and Douglas to hitch their jobs to a 4th year guy who has been bottom 5 for three straight years, and is from two regimes ago.

If Darnold looks anything like the Darnold we've seen thus far, it puts both of them on the hot seat. If Fields and/or Wilson play lights out, it puts them on the hot seat. If both of those happen, they get canned pretty quickly.

Drafting a QB resets the clock and is more likely to secure your job for the long run seeing as Darnold hasn't ever been consistently good.

Maybe this is how they are feeling as of today and after combine and workouts their options will change. We don’t know what will happen when the Jets meet with Zach,Justin and Trey. From what I’m hearing from Connor, Robert Saleh wasn’t the highest on the Jets list until they actually met him. Maybe they fall in love with one of these kids 

Hopefully things will change leading up to draft time, God I would hate for us to get Hackenberg’ed again ???

If it’s up to me, I’m keeping Sam if it ain’t for a 2nd. Period. He did have a winning record in 2019

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

Just now, More Cowbell said:

I'm not so sure. Schefter is almost always  right about this stuff. 

This stuff, no. He didn’t mention sources. He’s gotten more into analysis recently and this wasn’t something he put out as fact just as opinion. I’m sure he’s heard things but since he didn’t tweet its probably little more than early rumblings.

10 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

This stuff, no. He didn’t mention sources. He’s gotten more into analysis recently and this wasn’t something he put out as fact just as opinion. I’m sure he’s heard things but since he didn’t tweet its probably little more than early rumblings.

Schefter isn't  a hack. He doesn't  say things unless he has it on good authority 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

4 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Trade bait. Let's see if anyone is willing to offer stupid value for the pick. It's possible. 

Im happy for Sam, I'd like to see how he looks with a different coaching staff.  

If the new regime improves (and strengthens) the team in other areas, there won't be as much pressure on him to deliver. He can relax a bit and be himself. 

Agreed 

• Sympathy 1