Adam Schefter: I expect Sam Darnold to start for the Jets next season

Maxman

1 minute ago, k-met57 said:

I am a Jets fan my friend. If things came down to brain over heart I’d be gone years ago. Clearly I am betting the underdog at this point (not to say that Darnold was an underdog but the Jets have made him one through sheer incompetence).

If we agree that belief in Sam is based on hope, then we share the sentiment.

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

If we agree that belief in Sam is based on hope, then we share the sentiment.

Yeah the diff is, it doesn’t seem like you and the rest of the Darnold bashers think he was ever any good...so we are hoping from a different vantage point.

• Post of the Week 1

This was the game that threw me out of the Darnold haze. I watched it live and came out realizing that he was far from a sure thing. The worst thing about watching it now is that in that cut up you see the same issues he has now: failure to react to the blitz, bad deep ball, sporadic accuracy. 

10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It is totally different. Totally, completely different.

If you can find a team willing to fork over a top 10 (never mind top 3) draft pick for a player that can be had as a mid-priced FA, then it’d at least be in the ballpark.

You never burn such a high pick on a position you can fill via FA any year, let alone one that’s the only position the team’s already filled. You sign the FA and keep your ultra high pick on a position that can’t be filled as easily (or cheaply) or if a player like Fields is a mistake then trade down & pocket the windfall of high picks in return for someone else’s lack of foresight. 

A large part of the difference is simply age/contract value. Conklin is a top 10 pick who has hit. You're right that he wouldn't demand that value on the market simply because he's older and needs to get paid. Not because he's not good enough on the field.

And a position is not a player. You cannot get a premium Tackle like Sewell in Free Agency, no more than you can get an elite QB. Literally another position you can get premium talent, if anything this is an argument for Sewell as you can get quality WR's or CB's in Free Agency far sooner than you can get an elite tackle. Conklin is probably the very best you can get, and I wanted him. 

You seem really caught up in the difference between right and left tackle, as if right tackle is significantly less valuable. Yes the best tackles generally play on the left to protects predominantly right handed QB's which makes the difference look a lot more striking on the balance sheet than it actually is on the field. Penei Sewell would be a weapon that George Fant simply is not. You wont have the likes of Bosa moving away from Becton to take over the game, you can run effectively to either side, run play action effectively to either side. It would be a serious asset that would make it very easy to put together a dominant line.

And stop with the trade down stuff. It's everyone's favoured option every single year. Always more favourable to our fanbase than the other team's coincidentally. It's not easy to do. I'd prefer we trade for Deshaun Watson if we do anything, but I think it's pretty unlikely. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Yeah the diff is, it doesn’t seem like you and the rest of the Darnold bashers think he was ever any good...so we are hoping from a different vantage point.

Exactly.  Like I said I have no problem with those who want to start fresh.  But done seem to have utter disdain for the kid and blame him for everything not taking into account what he had had to deal with which obviously affected his performance

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Rich Gannon’s unprecedented metamorphosis into an Pro Bowl QB in years 13-17 of his career does not justify continued belief in Darnold.

Stopped reading right here as I never said anything related to Darnold even in the slightest. I’ve already said it’s time to move on multiple times. I simply posted a fact about Rich Gannon because the person I quoted brought up Rich Gannon. That you chose to take it in a different direction because of your incessant need to verbally defecate all over the forums about literally the same topic over and over again is on you. 

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

I've been a big Sam supporter and think what the Jets organization did to him was disgraceful...

But he was awful this year....As bad QB play as I've seen.  He's clearly gotten worse and the Jets are very much to Balme for that.

He deserves an opportunity to start over somewhere else.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Not related to the trade, but I have followed Nelson for a very long time. He grew up a few miles away from me. He went to the same high school as Joe Klecko's son.  A Catholic high school, not the same one my kids go to but the next town over. Nelson made the transition to the next level look as easy as anyone I have ever seen. Kid is going to be a hall of famer.

Some guys are just clean prospects. They say there's no such thing as a sure thing in the draft but some guys get very close. Nelson was essentially a sure thing. Sewell is too. He's a cleaner prospect at tackle than Trevor is at qb 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

Good is a relative term. Perhaps the disagreement is that we don't agree what the definition of "good" is. I define good as better than average considering years of experience. I haven't seen it.

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Stopped reading right here as I never said anything related to Darnold even in the slightest. I’ve already said it’s time to move on multiple times. I simply posted a fact about Rich Gannon because the person I quoted brought up Rich Gannon. That you chose to take it in a different direction because of your incessant need to verbally defecate all over the forums about literally the same topic over and over again is on you. 

Until people stop repeating their faith-based defenses of Sam Darnold, I will continue stating the evidence-based case against him. That's what a discussion forum is all about. Debating with fans about that which we disagree is what makes discussions interesting and fun. If you don't derive enjoyment from that, I guess put me on ignore. This is supposed to be a hobby, don't let it spoil your weekend.

I know being realistic about the Jets is unpopular... until it isn't.

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Until people stop repeating their faith-based defenses of Sam Darnold,

There you go again. If you want to quote me and talk about me taking my money out of my 401k to “invest” in a powerball ticket, then you need to explain to me why you keep talking about Darnold when I posted a simple statement of fact about Rich Gannon. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Sometimes being right has to be its own reward.

How many times will you keep telling yourself this before you believe it and stop posting it? You probably average 5 posts a day with just this line in it. Woe is you that you can’t get validation from the interwebz so you need to resort to self helping yourself...on the interwebz - after attacking posts and posters for literally no reason.

Btw, you’re not a savant. Most people were right there with you about Sanchez and Geno - including myself. I’m on record with the ACM back in the JI days too. It’s nothing to write home about that you keep “being right” about the Jets failures. Not exactly a difficult position to take. It’s like being a bitcoin expert over the last 10 months. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I've been a big Sam supporter and think what the Jets organization did to him was disgraceful...

But he was awful this year....As bad QB play as I've seen.  He's clearly gotten worse and the Jets are very much to Blame for that.

He deserves an opportunity to start over somewhere else.

My thinking on Sam evolves almost daily.  Currently my thought are:

1.  If Sam improves with our new CS then it PROVES how awful Gase was, and would give some vindication to our 2019-2020 rosters.

2. If Sam improves it's going to be a long haul, not an overnight.  Regardless, with Sam on the roster we would spend our assets elsewhere possibly bringing about marked upgrades.       

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Some guys are just clean prospects. They say there's no such thing as a sure thing in the draft but some guys get very close. Nelson was essentially a sure thing. Sewell is too. He's a cleaner prospect at tackle than Trevor is at qb 

But what will never change is if he becomes the next great tackle or guard and the QB becomes top half of the league, the QB is the more important player and the better draft pick

On 1/15/2021 at 3:08 PM, Rhg1084 said:

I like Sam as a person, but I honestly can't understand why they would be considering moving forward with him with out having a rookie to fill in when he continues this.  This is from a clean pocket.

I understand that the Jets were bad this year, and had weak WR's.............................but still that's horrible

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, juxsta said:

Hoping this is true. 

LaFleur and Salah are the new guys in the building, if they come through the door hyping up Darnold, the outside will view that as more credible than anything Joe Douglas could sell at this point. If you look at the optics; Darnolds contract, Darnolds poor play, Darnold injury history etc - I think many GM’s see this as a no brainer how everything plays out and would only offer a second day pick.

The way I think Joe Douglas sees it is, after Wilson, Fields and Lance, Darnold to many teams would likey be a more appealing option so he probably is hoping to pull anything from a late 1st to a 2nd for Darnold which I think is possible because of the illusion that we will keep Darnold will likey sucker a desperate team. 

I know many might disagree but I think it’s a 90% chance Darnold is gone, the only way he stays imo if Joe Douglas gets some crazy trade offer for the #2 pick. Even then, I could see him trading back up into the first to get a guy like Lance or who ever may fall and still trade Darnold. 

this is just my opinion tho ?

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I'd give them 3 of the next 4 1sts for Watson including #2 overall.

He's that good. A franchise changer.

Especially since we have four first rounders over the next 2 years. 

We would basically be able to keep our normal allotment of picks (minus 1 pick or so) and get Watson. That would be the dream. 

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

How many times will you keep telling yourself this before you believe it and stop posting it? You probably average 5 posts a day with just this line in it. Woe is you that you can’t get validation from the interwebz so you need to resort to self helping yourself...on the interwebz - after attacking posts and posters for literally no reason.

Btw, you’re not a savant. Most people were right there with you about Sanchez and Geno - including myself. I’m on record with the ACM back in the JI days too. It’s nothing to write home about that you keep “being right” about the Jets failures. Not exactly a difficult position to take. It’s like being a bitcoin expert over the last 10 months. 

I'm sorry I upset you. Go Jets.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

My thinking on Sam evolves almost daily.  Currently my thought are:

1.  If Sam improves with our new CS then it PROVES how awful Gase was, and would give some vindication to our 2019-2020 rosters.

2. If Sam improves it's going to be a long haul, not an overnight.  Regardless, with Sam on the roster we would spend our assets elsewhere possibly bringing about marked upgrades.       

He would be proving how bad Bowles and Gase were and that Flacco is still elite since he outplayed him despite this terrible situation that "no one can succeed in."

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Especially since we have four first rounders over the next 2 years. 

We would basically be able to keep our normal allotment of picks (minus 1 pick or so) and get Watson. That would be the dream. 

But if we use picks on a QB that leaves us with only a normal amount of picks! Bare cupboard!