Adam Schefter: I expect Sam Darnold to start for the Jets next season

Maxman

I think successive years is going to be hard to find, but Tennessee gets close. The Titans took Conklin at 8 (traded up to get him, too) in 2016 two years after taking Lewan at 11 in 2014. That worked out.

The best high draft pick example isn't following a big draft pick investment, but I don't think the Eagles regret taking Lane Johnson at 4 overall to play RT with an elite Jason Peters on the left side.

44 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Drafting Sewell upgrades multiple positions, in fact it upgrades the whole team

1st you've upgraded 1 of the tackle spots probably LEFT TACKLE

Sewell is a better pass protector than Becton. He's a more premium athlete, a more premium pick. He's an instant pro Bowler with HOF type potential. 

that's the first upgrade

the second upgrade is moving Becton to RIGHT TACKLE

George Fant was terrible by the way. To pay Fant 9 mil and Shell makes 4.5 was an absolute botch job in free agency. But that's neither here nor there

the guard spots which you spend several hundred words talking about no longer need premium or even more draft picks. It's easy to play guard in between Sewell and McGovern or in between McGovern and Becton. Pat Elflein was terrible this year for the Jets, fans thought he was good because he played next to Becton. 

Cam Clark could be a guard in that offense. Conor McDermott could be a guard in that offense. They just upgraded 3 spots, and that's upgrading the entire offensive line. They don't need Thuney on a Sewell Becton line. in fact a guy like that would be hugely expensive, more expensive than rookie contract Sewell. 

with a top 5 offensive line (not a joke), the Jets have upgraded their entire offense with the Sewell pick 

and finally, because most here don't know this player at all, the LEADERSHIP sewell brings replaces/upgrades the Jamal Adams leadership loss. Say what you want about 33, he was the Curtis Martin MVP 2 years running. If you hate Adams, Sewell is a real version of Adams. If you like Adams, Sewell is another legit leader who holds other players accountable during the game. 

Becton is a nice guy he's also a quiet weirdo off the field. Sam is not vocal either. Who leads this team?  

they just upgraded the entire franchise with 1 pick 

Sewell isn't even the top tackle on everyone's board. I tend to listen to Jeremiah who was on a team with Joe Thomas and Jonathan Ogden. I don't know why you think Sewell is that level if he doesn't. Not many scouts can say they were around greatness at the exact position of the player. We need elite players at other positions - trade back, get some assets and fill those needs with high picks. That reminds me of taking all the interior DLineman thinking they would make the whole team better. For the most part it didn't. It also leads to one of them (in our case 2 of them) getting traded. Whoever is moved to RT will most likely want out sooner rather than later. We would have a better line if we sign a top guard and draft a center. That would be an even better line as pressure up the middle is the worst type of pressure for a QB. And in no way, shape or form is Adams a leader. He plays with energy, but does not lead. He was in the locker room in front of his teammates on the phone trying to push his way out. A true leader would never be all about him.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is only true if you keep that failure of a QB around for too long, like the Jets always seem to do.  The Cardinals "failed quickly" with Josh Rosen.  Had they passed on Kyler Murray because of Rosen's presence (like Maccagnan did by passing on Mahomes/Watson because of Hackenberg), THAT would be what truly set the franchise back.  Instead, the Rosen pick didn't really set them back at all.

The Rosen pick actually did set Arizona back. That draft capital could have been used to bring in players that would have had them in the playoffs this season instead of the Rams or Seahawks - in an expanded playoff field no less when the NFC West played the NFC East.

Opportunity cost is real.

Just because Kyler seems like he could be great (jury still is out if you are being objective), but the team has a lot of holes.

That all being said, I don't think for a second they will keep Sam around for "too long". Neither were here when Sam was drafted and if they believe he is the answer - for the immediate future - they are coming at it without bias. I trust them to make the right decision re QB1 - whatever they decide. 

It's time to have faith. For the first time in a long time.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

or craft a QB in the top next offseason. If Darnold is back as the "starter", then JD is going to have another accidental "tank" year

See, I don't think Douglas can afford to just make Sam the unquestioned starter, because if Sam sucks again, he is immediately on the hot seat. 

Some of ya'll are talking as if Douglas will get to waltz into the 2022 off-season unscathed, no matter what - I don't think so. And if one of the QBs in this draft class ever had a big rookie year while Sam continued to be Sam? Yikes. 

The Jets have a wonderful opportunity to turn this organization around. We have a highly respected GM loaded with draft picks and money over the next two years. It's exciting. But hitching your wagons to year 4 of Sam is a big gamble that has the potential to mess it all up. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

OK smart guy ;)

Show me a source that reports the Jets love qb at 2

Anyone said that? 

Everything we've heard from Kiper mcshay and Schefter says otherwise 

Shoot even Mogglez says ol or trade down at 2 and he called Saleh hire 

If there's so much fields at 2 buzz or Wilson at 2 buzz, how come no one in the world is reporting it? 

This is 2 pick. Every draft reporter is trying to figure it out because 1 is obvious

The Jets are not flying under the radar so to speak 

Semantics aside the fields/Wilson group has less evidence than anyone 

So without evidence, they attack the sources. 

If the Jets had the #1 pick, I could buy your premise.  The Jets have the #2 pick , There is absolutely no reason on earth why the Jets and JD would share their thought process on their intentions. Ask yourself what do they have to gain by doing so.  This whole line of thought is ridiculous. 

• Sympathy 1

With all the cynics, skeptics and consipiracy theorists that populate this board--and this thread particular--it's odd that so few people find it suspicious that the Jets seem to be making an extra effort to tell every Tom, Dick and Harry in the media (including Jetnation "insiders," no less) that they are absolutely in love with Darnold. They just adore him! Yet at the same time nobody is saying he will return.

Why is this?

Is Joe Douglas so full of admiration for the NFL's lowest ranked QB that he just can't keep it in?

Or ...

Does he want everyone to think:

1) The Jets are not drafting a QB.

2) The Jets are either sitting tight at #2 or trading down to draft a non-QB.

3) Darnold is a valuable commodity.

Why would he want to do that? Well, aside from the obvious reasons, maybe he wants to trade down a few spots and draft someone like Trey Lance who he can turn to when Darnold falls on his face again. Or maybe he feels he can drop down and still come away with Fields or Wilson.

I don't know what he's going to do, but the narrative coming out of Florham Park points to any number of things that may or may not lead to Darnold staying.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Sewell is special. The guys they get in a trade down probably don't add up to one Sewell on game day.  The team lacks a vocal leader, someone to push them toward wins. 

They say a picture is worth 1000 words I keep leaving this one around. the gesture is called dubs down and it has something to do with winning football games

something these losers on the Jets know nothing about 

sewell2.gif.4ecb338f97424a988a3f3e31bea5ea55.gif

Hopefully the coach we just hired is the vocal leader in the locker room. 

And we can all play the gif game...

LSUUTschase.thumb.gif.ec2bc151c57a98f56ec1ed52dc1bd8e4.gif

errrrrbody got their first choice. You do you, I respect the conviction and I wouldn't mind Sewell.

30 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the team Saleh comes from is not a "QB at all costs" type of program. The 49ers built a line, keep investing in it. The Jets need a George Kittle 

Gase's inability to maximize offensive talent was evident with the obvious as well as the obscure. The fact that they have a guy like Wesco who went weeks without even running a route is another example of malpractice. Love to see the new OC does with what we have and just never used correctly.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

With all the cynics, skeptics and consipiracy theorists that populate this board--and this thread particular--it's odd that so few people find it suspicious that the Jets seem to be making an extra effort to tell every Tom, Dick and Harry in the media (including Jetnation "insiders," no less) that they are absolutely in love with Darnold. They just adore him! Yet at the same time nobody is saying he will return.

Why is this?

Is Joe Douglas so full of admiration for the NFL's lowest ranked QB that he just can't keep it in?

Or ...

Why would he want to do that? Well, aside from the obvious reasons, maybe he wants to trade down a few spots and draft someone like Trey Lance who he can turn to when Darnold falls on his face again. Or maybe he feels he can drop down and still come away with Fields or Wilson.

I don't know what he's going to do, but the narrative coming out of Florham Park points to any number of things that may or may not lead to Darnold staying.

Bingo !

love this post 

25 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

The Rosen pick actually did set Arizona back. That draft capital could have been used to bring in players that would have had them in the playoffs this season instead of the Rams or Seahawks - in an expanded playoff field no less when the NFC West played the NFC East.

Just because Kyler seems like he could be great (jury still is out if you are being objective), but the team has a lot of holes.

That all being said, I don't think for a second they will keep Sam around for "too long". Neither were here when Sam was drafted and if they believe he is the answer - for the immediate future - they are coming at it without bias. I trust them to make the right decision re QB1 - whatever they decide. 

It's time to have faith. For the first time in a long time.

No, it did not.  QB is what matters most in this league, and by allowing themselves to move on from Rosen quickly, they got themselves a real QB one year later. 

Sure, it would have been nice if they'd have taken, say, Minkah Fitzpatrick (pick # 11) instead of Rosen at 10 that year.  But it wouldn't have made much of a dent in the W-L column.  It's not a terrible decision to go after a QB when you need one, because of the upside it presents for your team if it works.  If the pick fails, as long as you move forward quickly from that failure, things can work out quite nicely.  

The bigger fear is holding onto a QB for too long, not drafting a bust.  Most owners understand how hard it is to find one and don't punish their GM's for drafting one who busts.  At any given time only 12 or so guys on the planet can play the position at a high level.  But the unforgivable thing for a GM is if they go years without finding one.  And part of that is drafting them until you're sure you have one.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, bitonti said:

ok right after you list the history of super bowl winners who took their QB at 2 overall 

the Jets offense, whatever it had in 2020 was completely left handed. Imagine being able to run either way, at will. 

and there is evidence that Sewell is a better prospect they played 2019 and he graded better at Oregon than Becton did at Louisville (both graded very well) 

Sewell is special. The guys they get in a trade down probably don't add up to one Sewell on game day.  The team lacks a vocal leader, someone to push them toward wins. 

They say a picture is worth 1000 words I keep leaving this one around. the gesture is called dubs down and it has something to do with winning football games

If you were my scout and you used that video as a reason for drafting a player, I'd immediately kick your ass out of my office and have security dump you off at the nearest PeeWee league.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Why is this?

Or ...

It always amazes me how quickly/frequently fans wind up at “conspiracy” theories, staring every GM ever... especially with regards to “floating false narratives” in order to some tease some team into altering their whole offseason/draft approach. 

It’s insane. 

“Hey, I know. Well tell everyone we love Sam - so they’ll try to trade us for him”

”great idea, Joe”

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, it did not.  QB is what matters most in this league, and by allowing themselves to move on from Rosen quickly, they got themselves a real QB one year later. 

Sure, it would have been nice if they'd have taken, say, Minkah Fitzpatrick (pick # 11) instead of Rosen at 10 that year.  But it wouldn't have made much of a dent in the W-L column.  It's not a terrible decision to go after a QB when you need one, because of the upside it presents for your team if it works.  If the pick fails, as long as you move forward quickly from that failure, things can work out quite nicely.  

The bigger fear is holding onto a QB for too long, not drafting a bust.  Most owners understand how hard it is to find one and don't punish their GM's for drafting one who busts.  At any given time only 12 or so guys on the planet can play the position at a high level.  But the unforgivable thing for a GM is if they go years without finding one.  And part of that is drafting them until you're sure you have one.

They wasted significant capital to take Rosen and basically gave him away.

They absolutely could have used that capital elsewhere and still drafted Kyler.

20 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

If you were my scout and you used that video as a reason for drafting a player, I'd immediately kick your ass out of my office and have security dump you off at the nearest PeeWee league.

I'm not a scout, and despite rumors to the contrary I never aspired to be one 

I'm a writer. I write about football. Some people respond better to visuals. Maybe I'll hire a song writer next. 

The leadership void is real. Sewell is that dude. However you want to discuss it the team lacks an alpha dog and I'm sorry not sorry but fields/Wilson lead by example guys at best 

• Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Hopefully the coach we just hired is the vocal leader in the locker room. 

And we can all play the gif game...

LSUUTschase.thumb.gif.ec2bc151c57a98f56ec1ed52dc1bd8e4.gif

errrrrbody got their first choice. You do you, I respect the conviction and I wouldn't mind Sewell.

I would not mind wr at 2 either fwiw 

The offense needs to be better. However they do it 

Drafting any rookie qb is not necessarily going to make anything better, just by himself. That's the Sam Darnold story writ large. 

• Upvote 1

I'm sure I'm reading into his leaked thoughts, but from the way it seems I like the way Douglas is handling this (and I'm far from a fan of half the things he's done).

Starting with the premise that he's either:

1. not drafting a QB at #2
  2. possibly drafting a QB at #2 but isn't locked in on it, depending on what other offers come in

He's leaking that he'll keep Sam for another year and try to trade down, but if he can't then he'd "look to upgrade the OL" (i.e. draft Sewell). Again, perhaps I'm reading into this but what this does is further:

1. it keeps Darnold's trade value high, should he change his mind on a QB at #2 (or even somewhat after that) after the combine and/or pro days
  2. it doesn't discourage teams from making offers for #2, thinking we're too locked in with Fields or Wilson; that would thereby replace us (as the team to trade up with) with the team right after us. And at that, for some it'd have to wait until draft day to see which one we took.

It's a dance. I'm not a great dancer but I can appreciate others who are. If that fat, bald **** is even dancing lol.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

This is why, we are........who we are.

Only the Jets would keep the worst QB in the league. Passing on other QBs. For me, this off-season is already shaping up to be a disappointment.

It is not about Sam; it is the principal. I want to see that this organization has improved, and learned how to evaluate talent. If the news broke they were moving on from him; I would be optimistic about the Jets.

What this shows me, is our draft will most likely be a bust. We all will be back talking QBs not long from now.......

Happy for the Sam people, but damn......ya'll gonna have to defend your boy all season long when people blast him. Not gonna be blasting him; don't have the energy or motivation for it......

I just want the team to succeed.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I get the first part (the unrealistic fantasy many have of 4-5 rookies from this class starting in 2021) but it's also a bit of an oversimplification to see all the picks as "start him in 2021 or he sucks" as well. There's something to be said for a high-end prospect getting feathered in gradually. Only OL and QB don't do that.  

#2 overall - when there are desirable QB prospects in play at that draft slot - is wayyyyy overkill for a RT, which is where the hole is. And in truth it's a desired upgrade, not an absolute hole, seeing how Fant is under contract if they choose to keep him. 

Just because we have a lot of picks isn't therefore a justification to reach to fill a typically lower-end position with a premium pick. While #2 may not be reaching for Sewell individually, #2 is a reach for a RT. Not only isn't it difficult to fill the RT slot with a much lower pick than #2, it's what playoff and championship teams do >90% of the time. We have plenty of opportunity to upgrade RT more than adequately well after pick #2. Hopefully - and presumably - Douglas sees it that way. The leaks seem to indicate as much.

• FA G
  • FA G/C (McGovern staying at C or sliding to G depending who's signed)
  • draft RT well outside the top 10 overall
  • draft another interior OL for depth and to take over or McGovern if he doesn't bounce back.

FFS well before I'd draft a RT 2nd in the country I'd trade down from #2, then trade that 1st round pick (or our pick at #23) to a cap-needy team short on picks for an established star still in his prime, and pocket the extra trade-down pick(s).

Either draft a QB, or if one isn't deemed worthy of #2 overall then trade down, because upgrading RT isn't worthy of #2 overall either.

I'm getting your drift but in 2018 the 49ers drafted Mclinchey RT at #9 in the 1st round. Now this tells me that in the 49ers running scheme, RT is important. The Browns are in the playoffs this year on the strength of their running game helping Baker Mayfield out. Who was the Browns #1 free agent in 2019? Jack Conklin (who may I remind you made the Pro Bowl). 

I've made this point before, and I'll make it again, Pennei Sewell is a LT, Mekhi Becton played RT in college. Becton is a HUGE UPGRADE moving from Left to Right for the Jets new running game scheme. 

Not only are you upgrading your LT spot by drafting Sewell, you've upgraded your RT spot in both Pass blocking & Run blocking. And the Jets can TRADE Fant (always teams looking for experienced tackles) or they could cut him & use the 8 million you gain to UPGRADE another position (Maybe Lindsey at Center- Move McGovern to RG). 

So with 1 draft pick, for a generational LT, you could have literally in this one off year the best Oline in the entire league with Sewell- Thuney- Lindsey- McGovern- Becton and still have #23 & #34 to either trade back or stay put & add 2 more stud New York Jets! 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

ok right after you list the history of super bowl winners who took their QB at 2 overall 

the Jets offense, whatever it had in 2020 was completely left handed. Imagine being able to run either way, at will. 

and there is evidence that Sewell is a better prospect they played 2019 and he graded better at Oregon than Becton did at Louisville (both graded very well) 

Not literally at #2. At about #2. The only one who qualifies is Philadelphia, and it came with so many conditions to lead up to that point:

• Their LT was already in his 30s, and Johnson would presumably have slid over to the blind side when Peters started to show his age (we only know now that he was still an outstanding LT into his late 30s). 
  • There was no demand for teams to trade up to their slot to grab a QB. The only one I recall who was ever discussed as a top 5 pick that year was Geno, and he turned off so many teams with his singular charm and maturity that he slid down to the 2nd round outright.

Neither of these conditions hold true for the 2021 Jets, let alone both conditions.

And picture, shmicture. Maybe I should post that picture of gestures everyone on the Jets s***ty defense (except Jenkins) all dancing around on the field because they were coming within a game of .500 (before dropping 6 of their last 7, with the lone win gifted due to an impossible sequence of unsportsmanlike penalties from KC). No gesture on a player's part makes it worth a 10-hole roster filling a single RT hole with the #2 overall pick. 

A far higher percentage of the top 20-ish QB starters were taken in round 1 than the top 20 RT starters. 

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm sure I'm reading into his leaked thoughts, but from the way it seems I like the way Douglas is handling this (and I'm far from a fan of half the things he's done).

Starting with the premise that he's either:

1. not drafting a QB at #2
  2. possibly drafting a QB at #2 but isn't THAT gung-ho on it, depending on what other offers come in

He's leaking that he'll keep Sam for another year and try to trade down, but if he can't then he'd "look to upgrade the OL" (i.e. draft Sewell). Again, perhaps I'm reading into this but what this does is further:

1. keeps Darnold's trade value high, should he change his mind on a QB at #2 (or even somewhat after that) after the combine and/or pro days
  2. it doesn't discourage teams from making offers for #2, thinking we're too locked in with Fields or Wilson; that would thereby replace us (as the team to trade up with) with the team right after us. And at that, for some it'd have to wait until draft day to see which one we took.

It's a dance. I'm not a great dancer but I can appreciate others who are. If that fat, bald **** is even dancing lol.

The Jets have traditionally been the worst poker player at the table, telegraphing intentions or just plain holding the hand that they are dealt, only because it was the one they were dealt.

Whether people like it, Darnold is an asset, and as such the Jets should not denigrate his value. Nor should they openly telegraph intentions in the #2 slot, and just play it coy. They don't need to be the guy at the bar on the first date with the raging boner. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I'm getting your drift but in 2018 the 49ers drafted Mclinchey RT at #9 in the 1st round. Now this tells me that in the 49ers running scheme, RT is important. The Browns are in the playoffs this year on the strength of their running game helping Baker Mayfield out. Who was the Browns #1 free agent in 2019? Jack Conklin (who may I remind you made the Pro Bowl). 

I've made this point before, and I'll make it again, Pennei Sewell is a LT, Mekhi Becton played RT in college. Becton is a HUGE UPGRADE moving from Left to Right for the Jets new running game scheme. 

Not only are you upgrading your LT spot by drafting Sewell, you've upgraded your RT spot in both Pass blocking & Run blocking. And the Jets can TRADE Fant (always teams looking for experienced tackles) or they could cut him & use the 8 million you gain to UPGRADE another position (Maybe Lindsey at Center- Move McGovern to RG). 

So with 1 draft pick, for a generational LT, you could have literally in this one off year the best Oline in the entire league with Sewell- Thuney- Lindsey- McGovern- Becton and still have #23 & #34 to either trade back or stay put & add 2 more stud New York Jets! 

Not to stay at RT. McGlinchey was a LT prospect with a LT prospect's build. As I mentioned to @bitonti where they saw McGlinchey's value after drafting him isn't the same. 

In their case, they decided they're better off keeping him at RT for a couple more years and throwing a couple bucks at Trent Williams.

What they did not do was draft McGlinchey at RT at #9, the very draft after drafting an excellent young T who does fit at LT, let alone do that way up at #2 overall (they didn't trade up for McG and forgo all the capital it would've taken to bridge that spread). If the Jets first trade down to #9, and Sewell is still there after pocketing yet another 1st round pick, that is a different scenario because now you're not using a top 10 pick AND another 1st round pick to upgrade the RT. 

Couple of thoughts.  First, all the comments that Schechter is speculating just restating the obvious.  He and we are all speculating.  Until the event happens, that's all there is.  Schechter has a good reputation as a speculator, but it's still just a guess.

More importantly, many posters talk in terms of absolutes.  Draft a QB with #2, trade down, choose a position player other than QB.  I don't think that's what it's really like.

GMing is about building roster quality and avoiding risk.  Failures and errors are inherent in what a GM does.  You measure GM success by how few they make relative to their peers.

You don't draft a star QB,  You luck into one.  Brady and Wilson are testament to that.  The GM's job is to not be stupid.  How would you like to have the GM who traded Drew Brees and kept Philip Rivers?  And if you draft a QB who is not a star, then it's the rest of the team that determines his success.  So you have to build the whole roster, not fortify one position.

So I am all for giving JD and Saleh the freedom to make their choices.  And I am with them win or tie.

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Jets have traditionally been the worst poker player at the table, telegraphing intentions or just plain holding the hand that they are dealt, only because it was the one they were dealt.

Whether people like it, Darnold is an asset, and as such the Jets should not denigrate his value. Nor should they openly telegraph intentions in the #2 slot, and just play it coy. They don't need to be the guy at the bar on the first date with the raging boner. 

Yep. Again, while I'm probably projecting to some degree, but I do think this is what he's doing. Smart & dumb people both can get lucky and unlucky with picks and decisions; dumb people don't typically behave intelligently by luck.

Even when he's made moves I haven't loved, he wasn't being the Rexy braggart along his journey, like returning shots to engage in a Twitter war with Jamal Adams. Here, if he lets it leak that he LOVES one of the QBs at #2, it indirectly screws up the offers he'll receive for #2 as well as the offers he'll get for Darnold.

Even if he does believe in Darnold more than a lot of the fans, his actions aren't the equivalent of closing his eyes & sticking his fingers in his ears, to ensure the offers are low enough that they indirectly make these decisions for him.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

They wasted significant capital to take Rosen and basically gave him away.

They absolutely could have used that capital elsewhere and still drafted Kyler.

And say they drafted a RB instead of Rosen that also busted - would you feel the same.  The whole concept of missing on draft picks setting teams back is overblown, partially because it happens quite frequently. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yep. Again, while I'm probably projecting to some degree, but I do think this is what he's doing. Smart & dumb people both can get lucky and unlucky with picks and decisions; dumb people don't typically behave intelligently by luck.

Even when he's made moves I haven't loved, he wasn't being the Rexy braggart along his journey, like returning shots to engage in a Twitter war with Jamal Adams. Here, if he lets it leak that he LOVES one of the QBs at #2, it indirectly screws up the offers he'll receive for #2 as well as the offers he'll get for Darnold.

Even if he does believe in Darnold more than a lot of the fans, his actions aren't the equivalent of closing his eyes & sticking his fingers in his ears, to ensure the offers are low enough that they indirectly make these decisions for him.

I am just excited having grown-ups in the room. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

And say they drafted a RB instead of Rosen that also busted - would you feel the same.  The whole concept of missing on draft picks setting teams back is overblown, partially because it happens quite frequently. 

Guys get fired quite frequently as well 

It's hard to build a program hitting the reset button every 2 to 5 years 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Show me 1 GM that consistently hits on draft picks. We all know the draft is an educated crap shoot even though we have draft pundits here touting can't miss prospects , there is no such thing. 

I have read a lot of comments to the effect that Josh Allen is a great QB and what a good job Buffalo did "developing" him.  With all due respect, that's crazy talk.

Allen is a solid starting QB playing with a very strong NFL team.  That team allows him to use his best strengths effectively and he does.  But he is not a guy who DC's stay up nights worrying about.  Watch Rogers or Wilson, you can game plan all you want.  It doesn't mean you are going to stop them.  Rogers is the best long ball thrower in the league and he will complete some of those.  And Wilson is Wilson.  He runs, the dodges, he buys time for his receivers and he wears out the opposing D.

Allen is fine and I would be happy to have him.  But I don't think he would take our current roster and make it into a playoff contender.  To be honest, I don't think he would be all that much better than Sam but I know some of you will get all emotional because I argue that.

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It's hard to get a quarterback when you never really try. Tannenbaum and Maccagnan sat around forever and had to make panic moves in year four. Mangini and Idzik sat around forever and got fired. Why do you think kicking the can is a good idea now when it has always failed in the past?

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not to stay at RT. McGlinchey was a LT prospect with a LT prospect's build. As I mentioned to @bitonti where they saw McGlinchey's value after drafting him isn't the same. 

In their case, they decided they're better off keeping him at RT for a couple more years and throwing a couple bucks at Trent Williams.

What they did not do was draft McGlinchey at RT at #9, the very draft after drafting an excellent young T who does fit at LT, let alone do that way up at #2 overall (they didn't trade up for McG and forgo all the capital it would've taken to bridge that spread). If the Jets first trade down to #9, and Sewell is still there after pocketing yet another 1st round pick, that is a different scenario because now you're not using a top 10 pick AND another 1st round pick to upgrade the RT. 

Hey, we just disagree on how you build a top offense in this league without having a top 5 QBs. Baker Mayfield is now the product of a better Oline after targeting Conklin in free agency. Obviously they thought RT was pretty damn important & it showed in their running game & their record. 
We have the money for a stud WR after picking Mims last year. We have the money for a stud guard after drafting Clark. We have 2 thirds for a tough RB (Sermon?), and we have #23 & #34 too. So if the Jets are not in the QB market at #2 than Pennei Sewell will by FAR improve the Jets more than any other player they could take at that draft pick. 
Here are the WRs that might be there at #23- Rashod Bateman- Terrace Marshal- Chris Olave- Kadarius Toney- Amon-Ra St.Brown- Seth Williams-Sage Surratt- Tylan Wallace- Marlon Williams- Anthony Schwartz. 

Having #34 and that list above tells me JD will move back from #23, stay & pick a CB (Jaycee Horn or Asante Samuel Jr) or Edge (Carlos Basham or Joseph Ossai). And then trade out of #34 for some more value picks already having 2 numbers 3s. 
Joe D has plenty of assets to take what could be a HOF come along every 10 years, Orlando Pace, Walter Jones type LT. 

• Upvote 1