Adam Schefter: I expect Sam Darnold to start for the Jets next season

Maxman

11 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Semantics Bit.

Using the 11th pick overall on a franchise LT one year, and then using the #2 overall pick the following year on a franchise LT would be a VERY Jetsy thing to do. 

Remind me the last time we did that?

Oh right that was 2009-2010 back to back AFCGs with 4 first round picks on the OL

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, CT Jets said:

Here’s my point. JD grades either Fields or Wilson as a top-tier QB prospect.

But he passes on him with the number 2 pick and selects someone else. Keeps Sam and he has a average year and the Jets go 6-10

now you are back in purgatory. You HAVE to go QB at 2 if you believe in one of these guys 

This is the most important word in your post.  We don't know what the Jets think of these guys.  IF you don't believe in either one, you can't force it and pray that they work out.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Which Sam would be with an actual nfl roster and competent coaching

It’s very amusing that some say Fields will auto bust because he happened to go to Ohio Statw and yet speak with full confidence that a player who has actually been among the worst at his position in the NFL for three years will be a good player.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Semantics Bit.

Using the 11th pick overall on a franchise LT one year, and then using the #2 overall pick the following year on a franchise LT would be a VERY Jetsy thing to do. 

no, taking safeties in the first 2 rounds, or taking a TE in the top 10, or drafting a receiver in the second round who had 19 receptions in college is the Jetsy thing to do. Drafting as many elite offensive tackles as possible given the opportunity is the smart thing to do. The OL is literally the foundation of everything u do on offense, as all Jets fans should know by now.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, jgb said:

It’s very amusing that some say Fields will auto bust because he happened to go to Ohio Statw and yet speak with full confidence that a player who has actually been among the worst at his position in the NFL for three years will be a good player.

Sam has been all pro compared to the last dozen Ohio State QBs in the nfl

25 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

no, taking safeties in the first 2 rounds, or taking a TE in the top 10, or drafting a receiver in the second round who had 19 receptions in college is the Jetsy thing to do. Drafting as many elite offensive tackles as possible given the opportunity is the smart thing to do. The OL is literally the foundation of everything u do on offense, as all Jets fans should know by now.

91948F13-707C-4B3F-A08B-B7C77151E2A6.jpeg

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Again I'll name that when you go through every bum that was ever drafted at 2 overall to play qb. Not around 2 overall, exactly at 2

By the way I do regret a deal the Jets made but it's not Adams. It was when the Jets passed on Quenton Nelson and 3 2nd Rd picks for Sam Darnold. They could have just stuck at 6. 

Nelson was such a clean prospect. Team leader. Sewell is Quenton Nelson but at tackle. Instant all pro. It's a chance to rebuild the line. It's a chance to build an identity.

And most importantly it's a very low risk pick compared to the qb 

Put it another way. Do you play poker? Fields or Wilson is going all in on a coin flip. AKs vs pocket queens.

Sewell is like AA over 22... He's got the best pff grade in history the only sophomore Outland trophy winner. it would be hitting the two out card if he doesn't pan out 

Much tougher decision between D Smith and Sewell. Can make strong case for either. Either better than QB coin flip.

Any chance Trey Lance is still around for our 2nd first round pick?

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Sam has been all pro compared to the last dozen Ohio State QBs in the nfl

We're all fans so emotion comes into it but deep down you know that if Darnold was a Pat or a Fin you'd be mocking him incessantly for this performance to date. No one here would be worried after what we've seen that Darnold was on the cusp of becoming a good QB. Hell, most of us wrote off Josh Allen after year 1!

• WTF? 1

51 minutes ago, jgb said:

This is pretty amusing.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barton said:

I like Sam but the Jets would be crazy to not consider a QB at #2. 

They need to consider everything absolutely.  I don’t have an issue with them going down that route.  I also don’t have an issue rolling with Sam.  I don’t buy this narrative that some have that he just sucks and was given every opportunity to succeed.  I mean no matter what dude if the fence you are on I think the majority would agree he had the worst coaching and supporting cast around him of anyone the past 3 years 

22 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Much tougher decision between D Smith and Sewell. Can make strong case for either. Either better than QB coin flip.

Any chance Trey Lance is still around for our 2nd first round pick?

Simply put, if the jets do not take a qb at 2, they are trading the pick to a team that wants a qb.  The jets will not stay at 2 and take Sewell because it’s inefficient use of resources.  They won’t stay at 2 and take D. Smith because they may be able to get him at 4 or 5.  Most of this decision will come down to whether or not they love wilson.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

They need to consider everything absolutely.  I don’t have an issue with them going down that route.  I also don’t have an issue rolling with Sam.  I don’t buy this narrative that some have that he just sucks and was given every opportunity to succeed.  I mean no matter what dude if the fence you are on I think the majority would agree he had the worst coaching and supporting cast around him of anyone the past 3 years 

Sam had no help.

What concerns me though is, he doesnt seem to go through his reads fast enough. Just doesnt seem to process what the defense is doing post-snap.

When you watch the better QBs, they know what's going on within a second or two of the snap. I havent seen that from Sam. Bad sign, IMO. 

13 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I think darnold would be ok with the new offense and staff, which would also mean more talent.  I just don’t think he’ll ever be good, only serviceable.  

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Also amusing that there were folks who said Sam would never be good because he came from USC, I guess. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2021 at 4:09 AM, TommyT said:

Sam has earned one thing going into his 4th year, a backup role somewhere. It’s time to sit and earn a starting job instead of being anointed the starter year after year. 

Annointed, get a load, as if the Jets even had an electric football QB piece that could buzz and hum across the field any better. Oh, you said 'somewhere'. That reminds me of when Marian says to Norman Bates that maybe he should put his mother 'some place'. Thanks, Marian.  

10 minutes ago, Barton said:

Sam had no help.

What concerns me though is, he doesnt seem to go through his reads fast enough. Just doesnt seem to process what the defense is doing post-snap.

When you watch the better QBs, they know what's going on within a second or two of the snap. I havent seen that from Sam. Bad sign, IMO. 

That’s fair.  Although I think he lost confidence and was shell shocked because the lack of help and coaching.  Those are fixable.  In year 1 we saw the talent even with Bowles so the kid has talent and potential still 

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think darnold would be ok with the new offense and staff, which would also mean more talent.  I just don’t think he’ll ever be good, only serviceable.  

That’s fine.  We all have our opinions.  I don’t think he will ever be a superstar or anything but I think he still can be a very good QB.  It’s tough to evaluate when you literally have no weapons, protection, and two of the worst coaches you can have ? 

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Sam had no help.

Sam is more talented then football smart unfortunately. He can be very good in the right hands...but u need to move him around...get him on the run...scheme for him to succeed. He just isnt going to be payton manning, but thats ok...he could still be Rich Gannon who has some great years.

1 minute ago, k-met57 said:

Sam is more talented then football smart unfortunately. He can be very good in the right hands...but u need to move him around...get him on the run...scheme for him to succeed. He just isnt going to be payton manning, but thats ok...he could still be Rich Gannon who has some great years.

Rich Gannon won a MVP. I can say with a lot of certainty that Darnold will never win a MVP. Processes the game too slowly, is too inaccurate, is too injury prone/misses too many game.

14 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

I think the kid has smarts but yeah he is never going to be Manning I think we all agree on that ?.  It’s so tough to evaluate given the horrible situation he has been in 

• Post of the Week 1

Josh McCown, who played with Darnold in 2018 and remains close to him, believes Darnold could flourish in LaFleur’s offense. LaFleur is expected to run a version of the Kyle Shanahan offense that is used in San Francisco and has become popular around the league.

“I think where Sam is in his development and to kind of reset and take stock in what he did in the last three years, but grow and move forward, I think it’s the perfect system to do that in,” McCown said Friday. “You take a little bit of pressure off the quarterback to be a great decision-maker in the dropback game. It’s a heavy run game and play action and play-action football, it’s good and easy football because you fake and then it’s a 1-2-3 type of thing typically. There’s not full-field reads in play-action football necessarily. You can keep the eyes of the quarterback in one place and limit his options and help him play better football.”

The Shanahan offense dates back to Kyle’s father, Mike, who popularized it with the Broncos from 1995-2008. It relies heavily on zone runs and play-action passes off the running game. The Shanahan offense also features more rollouts and plays to get the quarterback out of the pocket. The Jets actually ran a version of it in Darnold’s rookie season when Jeremy Bates was their offensive coordinator.

“[Darnold] makes some great plays, but he also makes some poor decisions,” McCown said. “I think when it’s more of a scheduled outside of the pocket, when it’s the movement game, what they do so well, I think that will kind of rein in some of that decision making. It will give him better options. I think that will be better for him.”

McCown, who finished the season on the Texans, said he watched a lot of Jets games this year and saw Darnold struggle.

“I think he was pressing and trying to win every game with one throw,” McCown said. “You could just see the frustration. You hate that for him. I think the circumstances with the pressure that was on the coaching situation and everything I think forced him into some bad football. The best thing about Sam is he takes ownership of it and he’ll work to improve.”

McCown said the Jets should not give up on Darnold.

“I think given his talent level and the type of kid he is,” McCown said, “letting him have a go with a new offense would be wise just from the standpoint of how much you believe in the guys you hired.”

https://nypost.com/2021/01/16/robert-salehs-likely-first-jets-hire-could-help-sam-darnold/

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Josh McCown, who played with Darnold in 2018 and remains close to him, believes Darnold could flourish in LaFleur’s offense. LaFleur is expected to run a version of the Kyle Shanahan offense that is used in San Francisco and has become popular around the league.

“I think where Sam is in his development and to kind of reset and take stock in what he did in the last three years, but grow and move forward, I think it’s the perfect system to do that in,” McCown said Friday. “You take a little bit of pressure off the quarterback to be a great decision-maker in the dropback game. It’s a heavy run game and play action and play-action football, it’s good and easy football because you fake and then it’s a 1-2-3 type of thing typically. There’s not full-field reads in play-action football necessarily. You can keep the eyes of the quarterback in one place and limit his options and help him play better football.”

The Shanahan offense dates back to Kyle’s father, Mike, who popularized it with the Broncos from 1995-2008. It relies heavily on zone runs and play-action passes off the running game. The Shanahan offense also features more rollouts and plays to get the quarterback out of the pocket. The Jets actually ran a version of it in Darnold’s rookie season when Jeremy Bates was their offensive coordinator.

“[Darnold] makes some great plays, but he also makes some poor decisions,” McCown said. “I think when it’s more of a scheduled outside of the pocket, when it’s the movement game, what they do so well, I think that will kind of rein in some of that decision making. It will give him better options. I think that will be better for him.”

McCown, who finished the season on the Texans, said he watched a lot of Jets games this year and saw Darnold struggle.

“I think he was pressing and trying to win every game with one throw,” McCown said. “You could just see the frustration. You hate that for him. I think the circumstances with the pressure that was on the coaching situation and everything I think forced him into some bad football. The best thing about Sam is he takes ownership of it and he’ll work to improve.”

McCown said the Jets should not give up on Darnold.

“I think given his talent level and the type of kid he is,” McCown said, “letting him have a go with a new offense would be wise just from the standpoint of how much you believe in the guys you hired.”

https://nypost.com/2021/01/16/robert-salehs-likely-first-jets-hire-could-help-sam-darnold/

I agree with McCown.