Adam Schefter: I expect Sam Darnold to start for the Jets next season

Maxman

9 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I agree with McCown.  

Two things:

McCown is a good source but his opinion (public at least) will be skewed to see the best in Sam as he views him almost as a son.           

Second, it is almost sad to continually hear analysts talk about his limitations and all a team would need to do to make him successful.  Must have strong running game, must have lots of motion, must be quick read because doesn’t go through progression, shorter routes since doesn’t see whole field, he’s best when plays break down since he can rely on his talent and not his brain.  Time to aim hire my Jet brothers.  We need someone with a chance to be special.   That’s what competes for championships year after year.   Building the perfect team around a limited QB is unsustainable.  Even if you could do it it would be impossible to keep all the pieces together for long.  Was very hopeful Sam was our guy but watching him not see open targets, miss them when he does see them, and lob balls into triple coverage week after week has convinced me he’s not.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

Two things:
McCown is a good source but his opinion (public at least) will be skewed to see the best in Sam as he views him almost as a son.           

Second, it is almost sad to continually hear analysts talk about his limitations and all a team would need to do to make him successful.  Must have strong running game, must have lots of motion, must be quick read because doesn’t go through progression, shorter routes since doesn’t see whole field, he’s best when plays break down since he can rely on his talent and not his brain.  Time to aim hire my Jet brothers.  We need someone with a chance to be special.   That’s what competes for championships year after year.   Building the perfect team around a limited QB is unsustainable.  Even if you could do it it would be impossible to keep all the pieces together for long.  Was very hopeful Sam was our guy but watching him not see open targets, miss them when he does see them, and lob balls into triple coverage week after week has convinced me he’s not.  

All true. Very disappointing. But , I would point out he was seeing the field a lot better early on. He was playing better as a rookie , overall. Maybe/ probably he is a lost cause, but it is not unprecedented to turn it around at this juncture of a career. Some great QBs had disgusting year threes. We all know Tannehill is a better qb , once he left Gase. Like I said earlier, this is Saleh’s call anyway. I think we all can trust his judgement

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

21 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

With all the cynics, skeptics and consipiracy theorists that populate this board--and this thread particular--it's odd that so few people find it suspicious that the Jets seem to be making an extra effort to tell every Tom, Dick and Harry in the media (including Jetnation "insiders," no less) that they are absolutely in love with Darnold. They just adore him! Yet at the same time nobody is saying he will return.

Why is this?

Is Joe Douglas so full of admiration for the NFL's lowest ranked QB that he just can't keep it in?

Or ...

Does he want everyone to think:

1) The Jets are not drafting a QB.

2) The Jets are either sitting tight at #2 or trading down to draft a non-QB.

3) Darnold is a valuable commodity.

Why would he want to do that? Well, aside from the obvious reasons, maybe he wants to trade down a few spots and draft someone like Trey Lance who he can turn to when Darnold falls on his face again. Or maybe he feels he can drop down and still come away with Fields or Wilson.

I don't know what he's going to do, but the narrative coming out of Florham Park points to any number of things that may or may not lead to Darnold staying.

You seem to think this is an original thought :) 

3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

no, taking safeties in the first 2 rounds, or taking a TE in the top 10, or drafting a receiver in the second round who had 19 receptions in college is the Jetsy thing to do. Drafting as many elite offensive tackles as possible given the opportunity is the smart thing to do. The OL is literally the foundation of everything u do on offense, as all Jets fans should know by now.

We all know drafting in the last decade has set this franchise back - I think everyone will agree with that .

The irony is we have many posters here defending Sam and saying if he only had better players around him he would be better. What about the flipside , maybe some of those TE's WR's RB's may have been better if they had a quality QB to play with.  

The whole argument of you don't take X position in a draft IMO is comical. If a player is chosen and he becomes an All Pro stud regardless of position , no one will complain. Its when those players don't pan out that the scrutiny and ridiculous generalizations begin. 

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Marshmello said:

This reeks of Rosen, Arizona, Kingsbury imo. This is a clear attempt to step over the Sheff report. Regardless Joe Douglas admitted 90% of the scouting on the rookie class was done and at the same time showed no commitment to Darnold....

• Upvote 1

I'd stick with Darnold unless they have a chance to draft Lawrence. They still have Morgan if they don't think he can play they could try to PS him and expose him to being picked up by another team. The Jets also have the Seattle first round pick and either use that pick to take a Qb or use it for a trade up if someone they like is still on the board. Also if we trade down with the overall #2 it could put us in a position to draft another Qb. We also have Seattle's first round pick for 2022. So if me I go with our Qb room from last year, Darnold, Flacco, Morgan, White. And give Darnold and the defense better tools esp in the secondary. 

24 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Basically he's saying what we have been saying, he can't read defenses and needs the game dumbed down so he can make plays w/o thinking . Sounds like a quality FQB to build behind. 

So would this apply to Rodgers too?  Matt LaFluer runs a variation of the Shanahan system?  

If the system is so easy and dumbed down why does it have so much success?

Wasn’t that a criticism of Gase? He forces his system on his players whether it fits their strengths or not? 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, C Mart said:

So would this apply to Rodgers too?  Matt LaFluer runs a variation of the Shanahan system?  

Wasn’t that a criticism of Gase? He forces his system on his players whether it fits their strengths or not? 

Rodgers is a mobile QB and is probably one of the better Qb's in the NFL at play action that system suits his strengths.  In addition Rodgers is very adept at making in game adjustments and diagnosing blitzes, something Sam can't do. 

Everyone says it fits Sam's style, because nothing else does. 

11 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Thank you......

People just parrot talking points that they have heard and act as if those talking points are true!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you......

People just parrot talking points that they have heard and act as if those talking points are true!

Can Sam read a defense and pickup blitzes. Is Sam good at play action?  .

The only reason this system may fit his style is because he's only effective when he freelances and doesn't have to think - McCown basically confirmed what we all knew.  

• WTF? 1

18 hours ago, usanyj said:

Agree to disagree I guess.

i just don’t see the logic in waiting if you think fields or Wilson is a franchise guy. Essentially what you’re saying is pass on a guy we view as a franchise guy because the team isn’t ready to win. Qb is the hardest position to fill and the most important position in sports, if you think you can get your guy you get him, especially if you don’t have to give up capital.

I was a big darnold guy, but you can’t say the Jets refused to get rid of bad coaches and signed up for one more year of them, then endorse keeping Sam, because he’s been bad, like, worst in the league bad, yet you want to hitch him to two guys who had no say in picking him? It just doesn’t add up to me. I’ll trust JD AND RS but I think it would be a mistake to run it back with Sam.

Yeah agree to disagree but at the same time I'm with you in trusting the coaches...and JD I think they agree with me but we will know come draft time. Anyway it goes does we are all onboard. 

But it just doesn't make sense to waste a qb or the pick on one if the doesn't have chance to succeed

It a long way off IMO on making the decision on Sam.  His strengths and weaknesses are well known to JD and Saleh but now.  Whether they believe in Sam and that he was hurt by the lack of talent and by Gase is not a given.  If they dont then the combine, the combine interviews etc will be really important for Wilson or as a late pick, Lance.  

Without knowing what the GM & HC think about Sam and without seeing Wilson and Lance up against Fields, no one knows

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Rodgers is a mobile QB and is probably one of the better Qb's in the NFL at play action that system suits his strengths.  In addition Rodgers is very adept at making in game adjustments and diagnosing blitzes, something Sam can't do. 

Everyone says it fits Sam's style, because nothing else does. 

Aaron Rodgers is a smart QB with a big accurate arm. 

9 minutes ago, FlightBoyz said:

Gase destroyed his confidence

I knew Gase was a joke during the so called "Ghost" game!

Look at the tape; Darnold goes over to Gase says in effect "I'm seeing Ghosts" and Gase instead of identifying what Darnold is doing wrong and explaining  what to do.  Gase looks at him and says "you know what to do"........

Well, guess what? 

DARNOLD, DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! That is why he asked!  He didn't know what to do!

And a player --- any player can lose their way! 

That is why you have coaches and telling a player who is young and confused they know what to do when they tell you don't.....

This is Madness!

Gase is a joke!

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

Again I'll name that when you go through every bum that was ever drafted at 2 overall to play qb. Not around 2 overall, exactly at 2

By the way I do regret a deal the Jets made but it's not Adams. It was when the Jets passed on Quenton Nelson and 3 2nd Rd picks for Sam Darnold. They could have just stuck at 6. 

Nelson was such a clean prospect. Team leader. Sewell is Quenton Nelson but at tackle. Instant all pro. It's a chance to rebuild the line. It's a chance to build an identity.

And most importantly it's a very low risk pick compared to the qb 

Put it another way. Do you play poker? Fields or Wilson is going all in on a coin flip. AKs vs pocket queens.

Sewell is like AA over 22... He's got the best pff grade in history the only sophomore Outland trophy winner. it would be hitting the two out card if he doesn't pan out 

AA - wins you a small pot as 22 folds after the flop - think Indy with Nelson.

AK - hit the flop and we're the Bills.  

Sewell doesn't move the bar much for a number 2 in our situation.   Cincy yes.  Chargers yes.

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

Look at the tape; Darnold goes over to Gase says in effect "I'm seeing Ghosts" and Gase instead of identifying what Darnold is doing wrong and explaining  what to do.  Gase looks at him and says "you know what to do"........

Well, guess what? 

DARNOLD, DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! That is why he asked!  He didn't know what to do!

That is why you have coaches and telling a player who is young and confused they know what to do when they tell you don't.....

This is Madness!

Gase is a joke!

He's an NFL QB , the onus is on him to master his craft , so he should know what he's doing in all situations. Did Gase give him the best condition to work under , probably not. But we have no idea how much time Gase and staff spent with Sam each week preparing him for the upcoming games . At some point Sam needs to put on the big boy pants and stop relying on others for excuses.  IMO Sam's always relied on his athleticism and natural instincts to carry him along . I question if he's just another above average athlete with no passion for the game. 

• Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Well, guess what? 

This is Madness!

Gase is a joke!

Absolutely.  I never wanted Gase here but gave him a chance and he was worse than advertised.  He even admitted he screwed up Sam which is something he normally never does is take responsibility 

13 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Can Sam read a defense and pickup blitzes. Is Sam good at play action?  .

The only reason this system may fit his style is because he's only effective when he freelances and doesn't have to think - McCown basically confirmed what we all knew.  

IMO Sam Darnold was progressing in his rookie season under Jermey Bates and I see the Green Bay as my evidence.  Played great that game.

When Darnold was drafted he was raw and NOT READY for the NFL!

NOT READY!!!!  

THAT IS WHY I DIDN'T WANT SAM DARNOLD DRAFTED!!!

I knew that the Jets suck at developing anyone at the QB position..... so I said No!

Think they had no skill players, No OL and in Jermey Bates a coach who had been out of the NFL for years as thier OC!

So for people to say Darnold's College tape wasn't perfect, they are right! But how could it be when he was a PROJECT!!!

So Sam plays well at times, for example look at what he did with the Rams this year.  And before people respond with silliness look at HOF bound QB Russell Wilson did aaginst the same team and defense. And that was only one game!  Sam was in fact awful for most of the season to me but the Jets STUNK this year putting Darnold aside.

So at this point it might be time to move on from Darnold, and I'm fine with that--- but at the end of the day I will accept and go with whatever JD and Selah decide.

• Upvote 1