Adam Schefter: I expect Sam Darnold to start for the Jets next season

Maxman

If true, I’m going to put my rose colored glasses on and just keep repeating to myself that I didn’t think Josh Allen’s shortcomings were fixable, and then they were fixed. And I’ll mix that with a healthy helping of believing that if there ever was an off-season where Darnold would take his craft seriously and really work, tirelessly work, to fix his weaknesses, this is it. 

Why? Because I’m a Jet fan and it’s just what we do.

I am very anxious to hear who the Jets hire as QB coach. It is, by far, the mist important assistant coach hiring for the jets perhaps ever, regardless of whether they are keeping Darnold or drafting a QB.

• Sympathy 4

The Jets don't think any of the QBs are worth the #2 pick. They have pick #23. Once they select Sewell everyone will think they are OUT of the QB sweepstakes, as players drop teams picking after #23 won't feel the Jets are a QB threat to those players dropping so they won't try to move past the Jets. Then when our pick comes up someone like Mac Jones will be sitting there & BOOM, Jets shock everyone. 

Jets are picking a QB to groom behind Darnold & Morgan. It's just not going to be at #2. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ok.

Then we should take a 2nd tier QB with a later pick, and Sam, Morgan and the pick (say, Trask, just as an example) should have an open competition in camp for the job.

No free jobs.

I’m all for that.  I’ve always believed in that.  

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

The Jets don't think any of the QBs are worth the #2 pick. They have pick #23. Once they select Sewell everyone will think they are OUT of the QB sweepstakes, as players drop teams picking after #23 won't feel the Jets are a QB threat to those players dropping so they won't try to move past the Jets. Then when our pick comes up someone like Mac Jones will be sitting there & BOOM, Jets shock everyone. 

Jets are picking a QB to groom behind Darnold & Morgan. It's just not going to be at #2. 

Honestly if we dont take a QB at 2 then I really want to trade down a few spots.  Might not get this opportunity again to have so many assets over the next two drafts to build this team quickly 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Bart07 said:

Saleh will make the Jets competitive which means they won't be in this position again to draft a franchise QB. You take a QB this year who you can build around over the next 5 years. If Darnold doesn't work out this year Saleh/Douglas will be shooting themselves in the foot and there will be 5 years (If they last that long) of mediocre QB play.

This ... draft Wilson to sit on the bench this year ... if Darnold implodes ... you have insurance for next year ... if he does not implode you trade Wilson for a 1st round pick. Or Lance with the 23rd pick or even the 1st pick of the 2nd round.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

Rumour: Saleh Will Hire Mike LaFleur as OC

By David Wyatt  Jan 15, 2021, 4:01am EST 

Following the news last night that the Jets had hired 49’ers DC Robert Saleh as their new head coach, it was rumoured that the Jets were sold on his leadership, and the staff he was planning to bring with him.

One of the names has been revealed. According to multiple NFL insiders, Saleh will bring 49’ers passing game coordinator Mike LaFleur, brother of Packers head coach Matt LaFleur to New York as his offensive coordinator.

Mike LaFleur comes with an outstanding reputation as an offensive mind and having worked under Kyle Shanahan, he’ll likely bring with him a similar offense.

In his first year as passing game coordinator in 2019, the 49’ers ranked eight in pass offense DVOA and even with Nick Mullens under centre for the majority of 2020 the 49’ers still ranked 12th in passing yards per game with over 250.

If you think about the Shanahan offense, you think of two things. Speed and space. He also prefers lineman who are a little lighter and move horizontally with ease. I would expect the Jets to get a lot quicker on offense over the coming year.

It’s an offensive system that relies on play-action with Jimmy Garoppolo using it on 32.3% of his drop-backs in 2020.

Some commentators like Dane Bruglar have already started to suggest what this could mean for the Jets at the #2 draft position suggesting that Zach Wilson would be a very interesting match with LaFleur.

This could be for a number of reasons. Firstly Shanahan prefers the outside-zone running scheme, which is the exact same system that was run at BYU under Jeff Grimes. Running that system from under centre is preferable, so if you have a QB who’s already used to it, even better.

It could also be because Wilson used play-action last year on 38% of his drop-backs and was highly efficient when doing so. Anyway, that’s a discussion for a different day, but it’s interesting to start thinking about.

Personally I love the Saleh hire, and I love the idea of Mike LaFleur running a Shanahan style offense in New York.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

It’s hard to figure and actually way too early for a decision one way or another. There are some vets that can be had and just maybe the college QBs aren’t as highly rated as people think.  Sure, Lawrence is generational until the rubber meets the road and the bigger issue, at least for the jets, can he start from day one?   We’ll see soon enough which way things go.

Saleh and Douglas both have both 5 years left on their respective contracts.  The Jets have holes all over the roster.  The quickest way to cut those 5 years short is by taking a QB at 2 and missing.

I get being fed up with Darnold.  I am fed up with him too and don't believe he can be fixed.  That doesn't mean bringing him back for 1 year and using a lot of your resources to fill the many other holes is a bad strategy for the next 5 years.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Honestly if we dont take a QB at 2 then I really want to trade down a few spots.  Might not get this opportunity again to have so many assets over the next two drafts to build this team quickly 

What do you think the Jets are going to do with close to 100 million in free agency & only one guy (Maye) that deserves a new market contract? You fans wanting more & more draft picks make it seem like you could have 7/8 rookies starting next year from this draft class & that just isn't happening. 

If all 3 of our top picks start & play well I'll be happy. #2, #23, #34. I've said this before, I only see 2 teams that might trade up with the Jets & that's Cincy or the Falcons for Sewell.  Miami isn't taking a QB, Atlanta? Who knows what they'll do but Matt Ryan still played well this year, then you have Cincy. 

I'd trade back with Cincy or Atlanta I just don't think with the cap being low teams will be willing to give up draft capital for Fields, Wilson or Sewell. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

It’s hard to figure and actually way too early for a decision one way or another. There are some vets that can be had and just maybe the college QBs aren’t as highly rated as people think.  Sure, Lawrence is generational until the rubber meets the road and the bigger issue, at least for the jets, can he start from day one?   We’ll see soon enough which way things go.

I think after Trevor Wilson these QBs are a complete crapshoot & you could throw them all in a bag & pick one out. That's why none of them are worthy of the #2 pick. Now at #23 as they drop? That's a different story. 

I think we keep Darnold and still draft a QB. I can see Darnold getting a shot while they groom Wilson/Fields/Lance. If Darnold plays well then we are in a great position to trade him. If he plays bad....well his trade value can't be any lower than it is now. Either way, I can't see us walking away from the draft without picking a QB.

We have the cap space flexibility to give Darnold another shot - even if its just to raise his trade value. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Alentador31 said:

I think we keep Darnold and still draft a QB. I can see Darnold getting a shot while they groom Wilson/Fields/Lance. If Darnold plays well then we are in a great position to trade him. If he plays bad....well his trade value can't be any lower than it is now. Either way, I can't see us walking away from the draft without picking a QB.

We have the cap space flexibility to give Darnold another shot - even if its just to raise his trade value. 

Agreed! This has been my opinion on it. I’m not against taking a Qb at 2, but doesn’t mean we have to trade Sam. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If true, I’m going to put my rose colored glasses on and just keep repeating to myself that I didn’t think Josh Allen’s shortcomings were fixable, and then they were fixed. And I’ll mix that with a healthy helping of believing that if there ever was an off-season where Darnold would take his craft seriously and really work, tirelessly work, to fix his weaknesses, this is it. 

Why? Because I’m a Jet fan and it’s just what we do.

I am very anxious to here who the Jets hire as QB coach. It is, by far, the mist important assistant coach hiring for the jets perhaps ever, regardless of whether they are keeping Darnold or drafting a QB.

If only Darnold had an arm line Josh Allen. Unfortunately he can't throw the ball over 20 yards. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Zone runs and D.  The QB is less relevant.  The question becomes is Darnold smart enough to be turned from a college playmaker with bad mechanics to a smart game manager?  

^^^^
aka turn the jets into Minnesota, Philly, Chicago lite 🤢🤢🤢🤢 

Can we catch up to the modern day nfl? That’s all I’m asking. Didn’t we see directly with Sanchez how this story ends? 😢

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bart07 said:

Saleh will make the Jets competitive which means they won't be in this position again to draft a franchise QB. You take a QB this year who you can build around over the next 5 years. If Darnold doesn't work out this year Saleh/Douglas will be shooting themselves in the foot and there will be 5 years (If they last that long) of mediocre QB play.

You only take a QB this year if the QB you take this year is someone you believe is a better prospect than Darnold.  That's for the new coach and Gm to decide.  Whatever side of this debate you're on there are legit points.  I would be happy with both scenarios.  Move on I'm good.  Keep I'm good.  My personal rationale is I believe Gase is that toxic and that terrible that Darnold instantly got better by him leaving.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Schefter supposed contribution to ESPN is as an insider.  But here hes just giving his opinion.  JD has already said that the ultimate decision will be made by the HC and himself.  So given theres no way the Jets would leak out any truthful info and even if they did, doubtful any real info came out of Florham Park late night, within hours of the pick.

Schefter been saying this for months, this isnt post Saleh. 

24 minutes ago, Jetster said:

What do you think the Jets are going to do with close to 100 million in free agency & only one guy (Maye) that deserves a new market contract? You fans wanting more & more draft picks make it seem like you could have 7/8 rookies starting next year from this draft class & that just isn't happening. 

If all 3 of our top picks start & play well I'll be happy. #2, #23, #34. I've said this before, I only see 2 teams that might trade up with the Jets & that's Cincy or the Falcons for Sewell.  Miami isn't taking a QB, Atlanta? Who knows what they'll do but Matt Ryan still played well this year, then you have Cincy. 

I'd trade back with Cincy or Atlanta I just don't think with the cap being low teams will be willing to give up draft capital for Fields, Wilson or Sewell. 

Here is the thing though this is not the first time we have had a ton of cap space and it hasn’t worked out well for us overpaying first guys to come here.  I’m not against FA at all but you can’t rely on it to be your major tool for building the roster 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Schefter supposed contribution to ESPN is as an insider.  But here hes just giving his opinion.  JD has already said that the ultimate decision will be made by the HC and himself.  So given theres no way the Jets would leak out any truthful info and even if they did, doubtful any real info came out of Florham Park late night, within hours of the pick.

Schefter been saying this for months, this isnt post Saleh. 

Exactly.  None of us know what is going to happen. Douglas hold his cards pretty close to the vest 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Year 4 of the worst QB in the league- yeah Jets! Never change!

Yup.  We're STILL mired in the "let's see if Sam can elevate his game" mode.   He can't.

Keeping Darnold on this team--especially as a starter--immediately sh*t cans Saleh and JD's careers with the Jets.  His presence here will get them both fired.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

^^^^
aka turn the jets into Minnesota, Philly, Chicago lite 🤢🤢🤢🤢 

Can we catch up to the modern day nfl? That’s all I’m asking. Didn’t we see directly with Sanchez how this story ends? 😢

Disagree.  The odds that the Jets will ever have a QB as good as Mahomes, Watson, Rodgers or Wilson is almost zero.  We ain't getting the next Tom Brady or Drew Brees either.  It's like winning the lottery you can't plan it.  The 49ers win the SB if Garrapollo makes one or two more plays.  

Football at it's basic level is blocking and tackling.  Really good teams win doing those two things.  You get your chances you got a shot to win one.  We got to 2 division finals with Mark Sanchez.  Sanchez wasn't a good game manager.  He was a big play or bust QB.  

4 hours ago, oatmeal said:

This is confusing because it hurts the teams long term development sticking with Darnold. Darnold would need to show Josh Allen levels of improvement AND have to out play the QBs taken in the First round for Joe Douglas to justify passing on one

So far Joe Douglas has proven to be at least competent, let’s hope he doesn’t Hackenberg us....

Because if they go the stick with Sam one more year, sign a vet route I will just start looking at the 2022 draft class and see who we will be hoping and praying to trade up for 🙄 

Sure will be fun mortgaging our future a year from now when we could’ve drafted a rookie at the top this year. Joe Douglas you will be on the hot seat and it will be well deserved.

In fairness, Darnold only needs to outplay them unless they're all flops. In that scenario, at least Darnold would be a flop whom the team is free & clear of in 2022, where a #2 pick Fields or Wilson flop is a multi-year investment through at least 2023.

It's the only way I agree with passing on a QB at #2. If he doesn't believe in either of those two - in which case he'd better be right lol - then yes it's even worse to get into bed with the next Darnold after the past 3 years of this one. 

It's also possible he takes one later than #2 overall - we do have plenty of picks - and that guy pans out. It's harder to nail those picks, but it happens; plus they're errors one can walk away from without pressure to start for at least 2-3 years no matter the results. Yeah a good result is usually Glennon or McCoy who bounces around the league for a decade, but sometimes it's Cousins or Prescott. Rarely, it's Wilson or even Brady. 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Yup.  We're STILL mired in the "let's see if Sam can elevate his game" mode.   He can't.

Keeping Darnold on this team--especially as a starter--immediately sh*t cans Saleh and JD's careers with the Jets.  His presence here will get them both fired.

I really really hope this was not the owner making this a parameter of the job.

• Sympathy 1

I still think the Jets will draft a QB at #2, but that doesn't mean Sam is gone in 2021 either.

If the Jets draft Fields//Wilson (or other), they would still need to go out and get a vet QB to compete. Why can't that be Sam for 2021 since he is already under contract for 10 million? If no one is offering more than a 3rd for Sam, the Jets can just settle for the compensatory pick in 2022 should they not bring him back. The 5th year option is 25 million, and realistically at this point, Sam's not getting that on the open market in 2022 (barring a major tunraround).