Adam Schefter: I expect Sam Darnold to start for the Jets next season

Maxman

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Maybe Jax will want to work a trade?  Move the 1st overall pick for a couple of 1sts +?  Urban isnt the lets wait for the QB to develop type of HC.  They could take the picks and go after Watson, the perfect Meyer QB?

Would make @Defense Wins Championships head explode!

Na. The whole lure about Trevor for me was having all of our draft capital in order to build around him. 

Trading the farm away for him regardless of how great he could become would be setting up the kid for failure. 

12 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Disagree.  The odds that the Jets will ever have a QB as good as Mahomes, Watson, Rodgers or Wilson is almost zero.  We ain't getting the next Tom Brady or Drew Brees either.  It's like winning the lottery you can't plan it.  The 49ers win the SB if Garrapollo makes one or two more plays.  

Football at it's basic level is blocking and tackling.  Really good teams win doing those two things.  You get your chances you got a shot to win one.  We got to 2 division finals with Mark Sanchez.  Sanchez wasn't a good game manager.  He was a big play or bust QB.  

1000% disagree ?‍♂️

• Upvote 2

Just now, oatmeal said:

1000% disagree ?‍♂️

I would love to have a great QB.  The reality is we didn't draft one when they were available.  Josh Allen is likely to be the best QB in our division for the next 10 years regardless of who we draft.  We ain't winning a SB by drafting the best QB in the league.  

While I don't think Darnold is good enough to be a quality game manager we can get one in FA.   We might even have one in Morgan?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Here is the thing though this is not the first time we have had a ton of cap space and it hasn’t worked out well for us overpaying first guys to come here.  I’m not against FA at all but you can’t rely on it to be your major tool for building the roster 

Joe Douglas is different. He's a football guy & he obviously speaks these guys language if he was able to land Saleh. 

You have recruit free agents & when you bring them in they at least have to be part of something that your building, a plan. 

With Douglas & now Saleh things are falling into place. This is one of the best free agent classes in years! Last year we signed Perriman. There just was nothing out there! At WR this year, you have Juju, Robinson, Godwin, TY Hilton, Cory Davis, John Ross, Will Fuller, Demarcus Robinson, Zay Jones, Reshard Higgins. 

Our recruiters went from Mike Maccagnan & Adam Gase to Joe Douglas & Robert Saleh. Big, big difference. Very exciting. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Na. The whole lure about Trevor for me was having all of our draft capital in order to build around him. 

Trading the farm away for him regardless of how great he could become would be setting up the kid for failure. 

Would you have traded a pile of picks for Manning, Brady, Mahomes and what they would bring to your team?  

I would, nice to go into games for the next 10 years years knowing you have the best player on the field 99.99% of the time

44 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I think after Trevor Wilson these QBs are a complete crapshoot & you could throw them all in a bag & pick one out. That's why none of them are worthy of the #2 pick. Now at #23 as they drop? That's a different story. 

the thing too is it's hard to give up so quickly on a qb that has 3 seasons of nfl experience.  i get the part about darnold being limited but he also has had some success that a college qb just won't have.  that counts for something and i suspect saleh and douglas will be doing an in depth study of darnold to see if it's all him or a problem with the team.  i think if they could take a generational qb they should and then replace darnold but that assessment can be more my expectations of what a generational guy is as opposed to another's.  at this point, who knows if morgan or even white will be given a shot to start in training camp.  i think darnold shouldn't auomatically be given the job right now.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

I would love to have a great QB.  The reality is we didn't draft one when they were available.  Josh Allen is likely to be the best QB in our division for the next 10 years regardless of who we draft.  We ain't winning a SB by drafting the best QB in the league.  

While I don't think Darnold is good enough to be a quality game manager we can get one in FA.   We might even have one in Morgan?

Overthinking it

These QBs are great but you seem to forget the impact of how much rule changes watered down football.

This is a new era in which rookies are coming into the league lighting it up EVERY YEAR, where the heck have you been??????

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

the thing too is it's hard to give up so quickly on a qb that has 3 seasons of nfl experience.  i get the part about darnold being limited but he also has had some success that a college qb just won't have.  that counts for something and i suspect saleh and douglas will be doing an in depth study of darnold to see if it's all him or a problem with the team.  i think if they could take a generational qb they should and then replace darnold but that assessment can be more my expectations of what a generational guy is as opposed to another's.  at this point, who knows if morgan or even white will be given a shot to start in training camp.  i think darnold shouldn't auomatically be given the job right now.

If we stick with Darnold and don’t draft a QB then that means we’d very likely pick up his $25m 5th year option. So we’d essentially be committing to Sam for two years. I wonder if a first time HC and JD would do it. 

Maybe they think an experienced game manager who would allow them to trade back in the draft would pay quick dividends. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

The Jets don't think any of the QBs are worth the #2 pick. They have pick #23. Once they select Sewell everyone will think they are OUT of the QB sweepstakes, as players drop teams picking after #23 won't feel the Jets are a QB threat to those players dropping so they won't try to move past the Jets. Then when our pick comes up someone like Mac Jones will be sitting there & BOOM, Jets shock everyone. 

Jets are picking a QB to groom behind Darnold & Morgan. It's just not going to be at #2. 

This feels like what Baltimore would do - maybe Lance instead of Jones - and Douglas spent a lot of time there....

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

If we stick with Darnold and don’t draft a QB then that means we’d very likely pick up his $25m 5th year option. So we’d essentially be committing to Sam for two years. I wonder if a first time HC and JD would do it. 

Maybe they think an experienced game manager who would allow them to trade back in the draft would pay quick dividends. 

GkTCVJY.gif

• Haha 2

There is NO WAY that a second year GM and a first year HC are going to hitch their wagons, and in essence, their careers, on a 4th year QB they didn't pick, that hasn't proven he's a franchise QB after 3 years in the league, AND that they are going to have to de-program and re-train after two years of incompetent coaching around him. 

If I were a HC or GM, I would want to go to war MY guy, not someone else's, and I think that's what Douglas and Saleh are going to do.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

If only Darnold had an arm line Josh Allen. Unfortunately he can't throw the ball over 20 yards. 

I'm with you on the idea that I'd rather ride with a different QB than Darnold in 2021, but this is just silly. Allen likely has the strongest arm in the entire NFL and arm strength has never been a a Darnold weakness. I doubt that there is even one college or pro scouting scouting report on Darnold that espouses the view that he has a weak arm.

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sweet!  Hire a rah rah D coordinator with no HC'ing experience and saddle him with the worst starter in the league.  What could go wrong?

Saleh can talk and Im sure interviewed really well. Didnt expect this pairing tbh...Darnold cannot start next season though. I'd rather sit through a season of Andy Dalton.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

they can also trade for one.  stafford is reportedly available.  but that also means they don't exercise darnold's fifth year option.

5 hours ago, usanyj said:

Still can’t see a guy who didn’t draft Sam and a coach who didn’t pick him wanting to roll with Sam rather than get their guy.

I say again, JD got off pretty easy after a 2-14 year. If the Jets come out flat again and darnold doesn’t look good, why would he not be on the hot seat. A new qb resets the clock for a big contract and it also buys you time to keep building. Running it back does none of this.

6 year contract

59 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I really really hope this was not the owner making this a parameter of the job.

57 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'll add another 12 "really's".  Saddling Saleh with Darnold will not end well.  But would be completely in line with Johnson's "(defective) mentality".

What CJ said after the season about Darnold makes you wonder:

“I’m a huge fan of Sam. I think he’s a great QB,” Johnson said.. “I think he has wonderful talent and drive and leadership. I don’t think the book has been written on Sam. He has a very big future. And I personally hope it’s on this team. That’s what I told him after the game: I hope he is a Jet going forward. But that decision will be made by Joe Douglas and our new coach. That’s about as definitive as I can get on Sam.”

Let's hope he's not telling JD he prefers Darnold stays and means the last part about allowing him and the new HC to decide.  But CJ being this positive on Darnold will affect their decision i believe.

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Why do some of us see this and so many others are completely oblivious to it?

Because there is nothing to see yet. We have no idea what Douglas and Saleh are actually planning. I agree with you and JiF: it would be a nightmare to pass on a QB and trot out Darnold for year four. But the draft is still 3.5 months away.

As I said in a different thread, Douglas kept playing the “Jamal will be a Jet for life” card last year and then dealt him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Robert Saleh is here to succeed. If he honestly feels that Sam Darnold gives the team the best chance to win, he will discuss with Joe Douglas and they will make a decision on what two football minds feel is best. If they decide to roll with Darnold, I will be happy. If they decide to go in a different direction, I will be happy. 

MaccBowles did not inspire feelings of confidence. Douglas and Saleh gives me tightness in the trousers, AND I think that they will make a good team as a GM/HC combo. 

• Upvote 1

Another quick note:

If this is true, a Draft Trade down may in fact be the best course.

Drop from #2 to somewhere still pretty high (say #5), and gain a few high picks this year (#5, and a 2nd and maybe a 4th) and perhaps next (another 2022 #1 pick would be great, giving us three).

Do that, and we could walk out of this draft, reasonably, with a #1 WR, a #4 WR with upside, a #1 RB, a #1 RT, a third QB to compete with Darnold/Morgan, and a few O-line, Edge and CB prospects in the later rounds.

Sure, we all want the flashy new shiny QB.  But if we don't go that route, we really could pull down a haul that could fundamentally rebuild this team for years to come AND do it without having to get the big flashy FA's OR giving up future Draft Capital (and in fact we'd likely increase it, perhaps having THREE #1 picks in 2022!).

I think this is the route I would support.  Trade down, get as much as is possible.  Then start rebuilding the O high, and the Defense later on.

I think I might have just felt a tingle.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, oatmeal said:

This is confusing because it hurts the teams long term development sticking with Darnold. Darnold would need to show Josh Allen levels of improvement AND have to out play the QBs taken in the First round for Joe Douglas to justify passing on one. 

So far Joe Douglas has proven to be at least competent, let’s hope he doesn’t Hackenberg us....

Because if they go the stick with Sam one more year, sign a vet route I will just start looking at the 2022 draft class and see who we will be hoping and praying to trade up for ? 

Sure will be fun mortgaging our future a year from now when we could’ve drafted a rookie at the top this year. Joe Douglas you will be on the hot seat and it will be well deserved.

And if they are not sold on Justin Fields or Zach Wilson?  You would prefer they waste the #2 overall pick on a QB they don't like?  I can see the headlines now calling for JD's head if one of those two QB's don't work out.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

Not necessarily.  He could be treated like Trubisky.  Bears opted out of his 5th year option.  He played well this season and now have to consider re-signing him.  But it would certainly be for much less than the $25M owed on the option.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Zone runs and D.  The QB is less relevant.  The question becomes is Darnold smart enough to be turned from a college playmaker with bad mechanics to a smart game manager?  

We traded 3 #2 picks and will pony up 25 mill in a year for a game manager. Awesome.

5 hours ago, usanyj said:

Still can’t see a guy who didn’t draft Sam and a coach who didn’t pick him wanting to roll with Sam rather than get their guy.

I say again, JD got off pretty easy after a 2-14 year. If the Jets come out flat again and darnold doesn’t look good, why would he not be on the hot seat. A new qb resets the clock for a big contract and it also buys you time to keep building. Running it back does none of this.

Because it was obvious to anyone with eyes that game plan and coaching was the issue while Darnold and some players performance is not an easy to rule out. We have no idea if darnold can actually play at a high level consistently. The tape tells a complex story. Joe D understands this is need to get verification from some who knows how to coach. Gase and his crew right now think they did an great job, can't really take thier word as gospel.

The good news is Sam can prove it next season while we build the team, and if he doesn't show promise we draft a kid. It's pretty much the only reasonable plan going forward.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Sam is gone, Jets are taking a QB at 2....

The board wants this to happen that's not the same as it happening 

I wanted Cindy Crawford to go to my prom. Life is full of disappointment 

Just to summarize schefty, mcshay and Kiper are all saying the same thing here 

The only big name with a qb at 2 is DJ, who likes Zach better than fields. 

There is no reliable source saying that the Jets are going to take fields at 2

There are many sources saying otherwise 

• Haha 1