Adam Schefter: I expect Sam Darnold to start for the Jets next season

Maxman

11 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

6 year contract

Gase had a 4 year contract. 

Having a contract doesn’t mean you have to be here the whole time. Should JD have a losing season he be halfway through with 3 losing seasons under his belt. I don’t think JD wants to be in that position 

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Another quick note:

If this is true, a Draft Trade down may in fact be the best course.

Drop from #2 to somewhere still pretty high (say #5), and gain a few high picks this year (#5, and a 2nd and maybe a 4th) and perhaps next (another 2022 #1 pick would be great, giving us three).

Do that, and we could walk out of this draft, reasonably, with a #1 WR, a #4 WR with upside, a #1 RB, a #1 RT, a third QB to compete with Darnold/Morgan, and a few O-line, Edge and CB prospects in the later rounds.

Sure, we all want the flashy new shiny QB.  But if we don't go that route, we really could pull down a haul that could fundamentally rebuild this team for years to come AND do it without having to get the big flashy FA's OR giving up future Draft Capital (and in fact we'd likely increase it, perhaps having THREE #1 picks in 2022!).

I think this is the route I would support.  Trade down, get as much as is possible.  Then start rebuilding the O high, and the Defense later on.

I think I might have just felt a tingle.

This is most likely what joe D is planning...and the new HC probably approves. He wants talent. This is one way that makes a lot of sense.

The tingle is from actually having football GM know what he is doing. People get mad and blame Macc for not building a team but they want to tell the new GM to do the same old dumb stuff. Let the guy build the team get lotto tickets and cash in. 

Go Joe!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

And if they are not sold on Justin Fields or Zach Wilson?  You would prefer they waste the #2 overall pick on a QB they don't like?  I can see the headlines now calling for JD's head if one of those two QB's don't work out.

This 

It's far more likely that jd loses his job reaching for a qb than he does trading down or taking the greatest lineman in pff history. 

Taking the big swing at qb, that starts his clock and the super bowl window. Missing on Fields or Wilson, they won't give him another chance to make that high qb pick again 

He dances around it for a a few years it buys jd time 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

I tried embedding this but it won't work and now I can't find the ESPN tweet. But Adam Schefter talks about Saleh and then Darnold. Says Douglas loves him, the team wants to see what he can do in this new offense. He expects him to be back and start next season. Mentioned that the Jets will look to trade the # 2 pick or improve the OLine if they stay put.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=30714899

In other words, if Cincy or even Miami want Sewell, trade up and pay up.  If Atlanta wants to be guaranteed the QB of their choice they better move up from #4.

The Jets are hanging a big FOR SALE: NO DISCOUNTS sign on the #2 pick.  And, I love it.

Mind you, they could also just stay there and take Wilson, and none of us would be shocked.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, bitonti said:

This 

It's far more likely that jd loses his job reaching for a qb than he does trading down or taking the greatest lineman in pff history. 

Taking the big swing at qb, that starts his clock and the super bowl window. Missing on Fields or Wilson, they won't give him another chance to make that high qb pick again 

Agreed.  And, if you're JD and Saleh and you roll with Darnold another year and he doesn't improve much then they wouldn't need to remind the Johnsons that Darnold wasn't the pick of either of them.  The Jets go QB shopping in 2022, and it's considered another fresh start with "their guy" ensuring a couple more years to see how he turns out.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Watch for who the Jets hire as QB coach. If it is Josh McCown, or anyone who has some connection to Darnold, than I would bet Sheffty is not just blowing smoke.

Along those lines, the talk last night was that LaFleur will run an offense very similar to the one Bates ran in Sam's first year. Supposedly that was a Shannahan tree type of thing. Sam was actually playing very well towards the end of his first year.

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He’s not but he does dabble in speculation especially in the last few years. If he was reporting it he’d say he was reporting it.

This is the part of our program where qb at 2 diehards attack the source 

Yes its all speculation. Schefty is informed by sources and film. The people on this board who have convinced themselves qb is the only play, yall are engaging not just in speculation but in hope. You are projecting your hopes on to a situation that quite frankly deserves no hope 

The evidence says no fields. There's only so many messengers to shoot 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, rayzor said:

What CJ said after the season about Darnold makes you wonder:

“I’m a huge fan of Sam. I think he’s a great QB,” Johnson said.. “I think he has wonderful talent and drive and leadership. I don’t think the book has been written on Sam. He has a very big future. And I personally hope it’s on this team. That’s what I told him after the game: I hope he is a Jet going forward. But that decision will be made by Joe Douglas and our new coach. That’s about as definitive as I can get on Sam.”

Let's hope he's not telling JD he prefers Darnold stays and means the last part about allowing him and the new HC to decide.  But CJ being this positive on Darnold will affect their decision i believe.

Yeah, I saw quote, too.  CJ's words put me way past "wonder" into the realm of psychotic terror.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The board wants this to happen that's not the same as it happening 

I wanted Cindy Crawford to go to my prom. Life is full of disappointment 

Just to summarize schefty, mcshay and Kiper are all saying the same thing here 

The only big name with a qb at 2 is DJ, who likes Zach better than fields. 

There is no reliable source saying that the Jets are going to take fields at 2

There are many sources saying otherwise 

RLLOL.  I had wanted her to "visit" several other places as well. 

6 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

This is most likely what joe D is planning...and the new HC probably approves. He wants talent. This is one way that makes a lot of sense.

The tingle is from actually having football GM know what he is doing

The last time the Jets had a pick this high a football GM named Bill Parcells traded down 

He passed on Orlando pace, Walter Jones for James farrior, Jason Ferguson and 10 bums. Farrior left after year 4 to Pittsburgh where he won a ring 

Trade down is tempting but there's no evidence that jd uses draft picks any better than anyone else. Just take the premium player. A team needs 2 tackles 

Joe Staley and Mike mcglinchy. 

20 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

There is NO WAY that a second year GM and a first year HC are going to hitch their wagons, and in essence, their careers, on a 4th year QB they didn't pick, that hasn't proven he's a franchise QB after 3 years in the league, AND that they are going to have to de-program and re-train after two years of incompetent coaching around him. 

If I were a HC or GM, I would want to go to war MY guy, not someone else's, and I think that's what Douglas and Saleh are going to do.

Going with Darnold in 2021 is not hitching their wagon to him. If he fails, like he likely will, it just buys the GM and HC another year at the rebuild and they can than add a better QB, whether a vet or a rookie, to a more complete team. In the meantime, it placates the owner, who really seems to want to give Sam every opportunity to be successful as a Jet.

Frankly, from a long term employment perspective, going with Sam in 2021 would be a Win Win scenario for the GM and Coach. If Sam does the impossible and succeeds, they win. If Sam fails, they get to bail on him with ownership's blessing and pursue their preferred QB plan, a win as well. The only pitfall would be if JD absolutely loves one of the non-Lawrence QB's available this year, but I have serious doubts that he does.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He’s not but he does dabble in speculation especially in the last few years. If he was reporting it he’d say he was reporting it.

If you listen to the video, he says all this with a lot of conviction.  I don't  think these are off the cuff remarks. Schefter knows something. IMO, he has been told JD is not in love with any of the remaining  QB's but probably is in love with some of the OL he can pick up and what he can get in a trade down.

I don't happen to fully agree with this, I think Darnold is damaged beyond repair, but I am not against rolling with Darnold for another season and them moving on if that is what needs to be done.  

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The last time the Jets had a pick this high a football GM named Bill Parcells traded down 

He passed on Orlando pace, Walter Jones for James farrior, Jason Ferguson and 10 bums. Farrior left after year 4 to Pittsburgh where he won a ring 

Trade down is tempting but there's no evidence that jd uses draft picks any better than anyone else. Just take the premium player. A team needs 2 tackles 

If this is the rationale at least take a player who scores touchdowns.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This 

Jeez Bit, that's cynical.

Is it beyond the scope of your belief that JD and Saleh might really just evaluate Fields/Wilson as being unworthy of the #2 pick for this team in it's current state, and prefer a route of trade-down for more picks in an effort to raise the overall talent level of the team across the board?  With the bonus of increasing 2022 draft capital as well?

Sorry, I don't think "pass on Wilson/Fields at #2" by definition means "cynical grab for more time by GM".

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If you listen to the video, he says all this with a lot of conviction.  I don't  think these are off the cuff remarks. Schefter knows something. IMO, he has been told JD is not in love with any of the remaining  QB's but probably is in love with some of the OL he can pick up and what he can get in a trade down.

I don't happen to fully agree with this, I think Darnold is damaged beyond repair, but I am not against rolling with Darnold for another season and them moving on if that is what needs to be done.  

I watched the video, it was a comment. I don’t think it’s fully out of nowhere but I don’t think it’s worth counting as genuine news. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

Along those lines, the talk last night was that LaFleur will run an offense very similar to the one Bates ran in Sam's first year. Supposedly that was a Shannahan tree type of thing. Sam was actually playing very well towards the end of his first year.

And how about this....    So, I'd bet dollars to donuts that Mike Lafleur has already sought out Bates to pump him for info on Darnold. Shockingly, Bates' views on Darnold may be the primary factor in deciding whether to ride with Darnold in 2021. I wonder if Bates will be a candidate for QB coach?

Jeremy Bates: [Matt] LaFleur and Bates both coach high school quarterbacks in the offseason for the QB Collective, a pro-style evaluation and development program. Bates has spent the past two seasons with the New York Jets after a five-year coaching hiatus, where he hiked the 2,900-mile Continental Divide Trail from Mexico to Canada by himself. He is the son of former Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates.

https://thepowersweep.com/blog/matt-lafleur-packers-assistants-special-teams-zac-taylor

9 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Going with Darnold in 2021 is not hitching their wagon to him. If he fails, like he likely will, it just buys the GM and HC another year at the rebuild and they can than add a better QB, whether a vet or a rookie, to a more complete team. In the meantime, it placates the owner, who really seems to want to give Sam every opportunity to be successful as a Jet.

Frankly, from a long term employment perspective, going with Sam in 2021 would be a Win Win scenario for the GM and Coach. If Sam does the impossible and succeeds, they win. If Sam fails, they get to bail on him with ownership's blessing and pursue their preferred QB plan, a win as well. The only pitfall would be if JD absolutely loves one of the non-Lawrence QB's available this year, but I have serious doubts that he does.

I hear what you are saying, but Darnold has provided very little to no reason to believe he will magically transform from a bad QB to a good QB after 3 years in the league. This just doesn't happen in the modern NFL and it would be folly for the Jets to close their eyes, cross their fingers, and hope this happens, while wasting another year in the process IMO  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The evidence is the draft. Reoetive to prior years. He drafted contributors. His drafted players are much better than prior year inside just one year. What are you talking about? Never mind. No need to respond. I'm sure your totally right lol

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I hear what you are saying, but Darnold has provided very little to no reason to believe he will magically transform from a bad QB to a good QB after 3 years in the league. This just doesn't happen in the modern NFL and it would be folly for the Jets to close their eyes, cross their fingers, and hope this happens, while wasting another year in the process IMO  

Adam Gase.

• Sympathy 1

This us all just silly.

you need a qb to be successful. They are in a rare position to snag one. The only decision, imo, is which one. And im ok with a qb later in the first via trade but we need one. 

any qb can bust. Even trevor. Its almost a duty to take a swing on one versus a decision

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

And how about this....    So, I'd bet dollars to donuts that Mike Lafleur has already sought out Bates to pump him for info on Darnold. Shockingly, Bates' views on Darnold may be the primary factor in deciding whether to ride with Darnold in 2021. I wonder if Bates will be a candidate for QB coach?

Not crazy. This board would implode, but that's normal.? Question is, would they need a GPS to find Bates?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I agree, but that doesn't remove the reality that the GM and HC will not have to suffer any consequences if Sam fails. All they will do is make their owner happy that they gave Sam the chance and buy themselves another year to have a more complete team to insert a QB into.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If this is the rationale at least take a player who scores touchdowns.

Smith at 2 is more likely than the qb and in fact more likely than a trade down as well 

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Jeez Bit, that's cynical.

Is it beyond the scope of your belief that JD and Saleh might really just evaluate Fields/Wilson as being unworthy of the #2 pick for this team in it's current state, and prefer a route of trade-down for more picks in an effort to raise the overall talent level of the team across the board?  With the bonus of increasing 2022 draft capital as well?

Sorry, I don't think "pass on Wilson/Fields at #2" by definition means "cynical grab for more time by GM".

Gee I wonder what could have made me so cynical 

The NFL stands for not for long. The last Jets gm proves unemployable. Everybody gets fired, no one walks away from the game they are all carried away and that includes the front office. Jd is going to be fired one day that's a fact of life. His decisions determine when that is and his performance determines if he gets to do it again with another team 

2 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Schefter is just guessing. He doesn't know more than anyone else what they're going to do. My "educated guess" is that they draft Zach Wilson. He's the guy that the 49ers have been rumored to be chomping at the bit to draft this year. 

This is a perfect example of qb at 2 thinking 

Attack the source 

Disregard the evidence

Double down on hope 

Good luck with that 

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

This us all just silly.

you need a qb to be successful. They are in a rare position to snag one. The only decision, imo, is which one. And im ok with a qb later in the first via trade but we need one. 

any qb can bust. Even trevor. Its almost a duty to take a swing on one versus a decision

If you were the gm high bish, maybe this would all be relevant 

Too many people around here confuse being a Jets fan with getting what we want 

That's not how this works. That's not how it ever worked 

4 hours ago, Bart07 said:

Saleh will make the Jets competitive which means they won't be in this position again to draft a franchise QB. You take a QB this year who you can build around over the next 5 years. If Darnold doesn't work out this year Saleh/Douglas will be shooting themselves in the foot and there will be 5 years (If they last that long) of mediocre QB play.

Like the Chiefs, Bills and Ravens were not in position to draft a franchise QB? 

Please.

8 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I agree, but that doesn't remove the reality that the GM and HC will not have to suffer any consequences if Sam fails. All they will do is make their owner happy that they gave Sam the chance and buy themselves another year to have a more complete team to insert a QB into.

Sam is free money. Why start the clock when you don't have to?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

In other words, if Cincy or even Miami want Sewell, trade up and pay up.  If Atlanta wants to be guaranteed the QB of their choice they better move up from #4.

The Jets are hanging a big FOR SALE: NO DISCOUNTS sign on the #2 pick.  And, I love it.

Mind you, they could also just stay there and take Wilson, and none of us would be shocked.

Exactly, at this point in the process, you do two things, pump up Darnolds  value, and the value of the #2  pick. That will begin to determine what your real options are. As far as Wilson and the draft, that will come when Saleh , Jd, and the oc pour through Wilson film in detail, go through combine/ pro days, interview Wilson multiple times etc. 100 percent sure no decisions made there yet. Adam is not going out on much of a limb here, because its at least a 50% chance. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Schefter isn't  a hack. He doesn't  say things unless he has it on good authority 

He's not a hack, true.  But this post of his is pure speculation. 

I'm fairly confident that neither JD nor Saleh has relayed ANY plans for Sam Darnold to anyone other than Jets brass.  As of this point in time, I think Schefter is speculating as are we all.  Likely that no decisions have been made yet and of course the mission is to bestow trade value on Darnold by talking him up persistently.  It does not mean they want to keep him.  Really.... why would any newbie HC want that garbage QB in his first year?  Nauseating thought.  Guaranteed terrible 1st year can't be too appealing to Saleh.  Darnold is awful and no way can they be confident he can be fixed.

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Saleh and Douglas both have both 5 years left on their respective contracts.  The Jets have holes all over the roster.  The quickest way to cut those 5 years short is by taking a QB at 2 and missing.

I get being fed up with Darnold.  I am fed up with him too and don't believe he can be fixed.  That doesn't mean bringing him back for 1 year and using a lot of your resources to fill the many other holes is a bad strategy for the next 5 years.

I completely agree, people talk about how it would be a bad move to keep darnold because it shortens the leash Saleh would have as a new coach if Darnold fails... I dont see that, if anything it just prolongs his tenure to me.  If he fails, well he was going to fail no matter what then so you move on and you have another 3 years or whenever you draft a kid to see what happens.  

Personally i believe its better to have the team as a whole ready to compete and then a QB on a rookie deal THEN, rather than a QB on a rookie deal and trying to build a team around that.  Everyone will be up for contracts around the same time and it'll be harder to add talent. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Joe Douglas is different. He's a football guy & he obviously speaks these guys language if he was able to land Saleh. 

You have recruit free agents & when you bring them in they at least have to be part of something that your building, a plan. 

With Douglas & now Saleh things are falling into place. This is one of the best free agent classes in years! Last year we signed Perriman. There just was nothing out there! At WR this year, you have Juju, Robinson, Godwin, TY Hilton, Cory Davis, John Ross, Will Fuller, Demarcus Robinson, Zay Jones, Reshard Higgins. 

Our recruiters went from Mike Maccagnan & Adam Gase to Joe Douglas & Robert Saleh. Big, big difference. Very exciting. 

I agree Douglas is very different so I know he won’t do what Macc did. However I’m still not opposed to trading down with more assets and I don’t think Joe is either 

55 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

There is NO WAY that a second year GM and a first year HC are going to hitch their wagons, and in essence, their careers, on a 4th year QB they didn't pick, that hasn't proven he's a franchise QB after 3 years in the league, AND that they are going to have to de-program and re-train after two years of incompetent coaching around him. 

If I were a HC or GM, I would want to go to war MY guy, not someone else's, and I think that's what Douglas and Saleh are going to do.

How many interviews did YOU get?

• Sympathy 1