Adam Schefter: I expect Sam Darnold to start for the Jets next season

Maxman

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Gase had a 4 year contract. 

Having a contract doesn’t mean you have to be here the whole time. Should JD have a losing season he be halfway through with 3 losing seasons under his belt. I don’t think JD wants to be in that position 

Yeah, keep dreaming.  Gase was the coach.  JD was hired to right this ship.  Sorry it didn't happen in the first season.  We MIGHT not have a losing season next season, but expect one.  Depending on what he does with that 2nd overall pick, we won't be having a losing season in 2022.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

I tried embedding this but it won't work and now I can't find the ESPN tweet. But Adam Schefter talks about Saleh and then Darnold. Says Douglas loves him, the team wants to see what he can do in this new offense. He expects him to be back and start next season. Mentioned that the Jets will look to trade the # 2 pick or improve the OLine if they stay put.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=30714899

BS. There is literally no possible way the Jets have made that decision. Whether it is true or not the Jets will talk up Darnold incessantly to drive trade value and not sour Darnold before he even meets the new coaching staff. Once they get deep into the process of evaluating the QBs the decision will be mad then. Darnold in 4th year with 3rd offensive system is simply a worse situation for a new HC then a hand picked guy on a rookie contract. We WILL draft a QB in RD1 and it would be completely shocking if it is not at #2

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yeah, keep dreaming.  Gase was the coach.  JD was hired to right this ship.  Sorry it didn't happen in the first season.  We MIGHT not have a losing season next season, but expect one.  Depending on what he does with that 2nd overall pick, we won't be having a losing season in 2022.

Next year is his 3rd season

3 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

EXACTLY.  He passed on a QB based on terrible scouting, poor judgement, and incompetence, and instead remained beholden to the stiff he had drafted the year before, relying on only scouting and his "expertise, " which, of course, lead to a catastrophically bad decision. 

Fast forwarding to the present, the Jets have THREE years of NFL game film to tell them that Darnold is not a franchise QB.  If they ignore it, they will prove once again that they are a mickey mouse organization, forever doomed to failure under the Johnson's.

More than one way to build a mousetrap.

If you look at the QBs who made the playoffs this year, you'l noticed the ones picked the highest are not the best.

Next year they will have another draft and the draftnicks will in love with a new group of QBs like they do every year. 

• Post of the Week 1

43 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Say no to those that embrace the “great man theory of quarterback-ing”. Nearly every good quarterback in recent memory has been developed on a roster that already had a healthy amount of offensive talent. 

This isn’t about Sam Darnold anymore.

Build the roster... the quarterback will come. 

Call me skeptical.  Jets have had a few good teams over the years, the last good QB that came was in 1965

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

If as a GM and scout you have evaluated Fields and Wilson or even Lance for that matter and love the guy and think he will be a franchise QB you draft him at 2 end of story.

If you have any doubts at all you pass and stick with Darnold one more year.

If you do not draft a Qb at #2 you do everything in your power to trade down.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

I tried embedding this but it won't work and now I can't find the ESPN tweet. But Adam Schefter talks about Saleh and then Darnold. Says Douglas loves him, the team wants to see what he can do in this new offense. He expects him to be back and start next season. Mentioned that the Jets will look to trade the # 2 pick or improve the OLine if they stay put.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=30714899

FAKE NEWS

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

"we like Sam a lot and feel he has a future with the Jets"

"future with the jets" is essentially a commitment. 

"we like sam and believe he has a bright future" says they are not decided. 

Big difference. 

7 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

“There is none so blind as they who will not see”

Top sports reporter on the planet (Shefter), longest tenured beat writer (Cimini) and someone with proven inside sources (@footballguy) all saying the same thing. Darnold is going to be the starter next year. 

Unpalatable truths are hard to swallow but you are right imo. They want to build around Sam and that’s been made abundantly clear. I don’t personally agree with that approach, but that doesn’t make it any less true. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Unpalatable truths are hard to swallow but you are right imo. They want to build around Sam and that’s been made abundantly clear. I don’t personally agree with that approach, but that doesn’t make it any less true. 

I mean to say that when we still haven’t even finished the playoffs is kind of a stretch, wouldn’t you agree? 

To the "But Schefter is just speculating!" crowd...

Adam is like Adrian Wojnarowski. Basically their speculations aren't coming from thin air, it's based off the information they've been given in private. They don't speculate just for the sake of speculating.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

The board wants this to happen that's not the same as it happening 

I wanted Cindy Crawford to go to my prom. Life is full of disappointment 

Just to summarize schefty, mcshay and Kiper are all saying the same thing here 

The only big name with a qb at 2 is DJ, who likes Zach better than fields. 

There is no reliable source saying that the Jets are going to take fields at 2

There are many sources saying otherwise 

Logic is the reliable source here.  

They will trade Sam and take a QB at 2.  

Which QB they take or what they get for Sam are the two things we should be discussing.  

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

More than one way to build a mousetrap.

If you look at the QBs who made the playoffs this year, you'l noticed the ones picked the highest are not the best.

Next year they will have another draft and the draftnicks will in love with a new group of QBs like they do every year. 

Absolutely true, but when a team needs a QB, they NEVER pass on one, especially when they have the #2 pick. If the Jets braintrust has a 1st round grade on any QB in this draft, it's a slam dunk that they will draft him.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Honestly we don’t know what their plan is yet.  They may be undecided.  There are a lot of factors like the combine and what kind of offers they get for 2.  Also the most important is how Saleh views Sam.  But I agree with you it’s obvious they still value Sam.  Even if they do draft a QB they aren’t giving away Sam for peanuts 

Having to use the #2 pick on another QB just sounds awful especially if the QB's available aren't the ones you want. 

So we choose to keep Sam Darnold hopefully with a decent backup and on a very short leash. 

We draft nothing but offensive playmakers with the top 3 picks and we surround Sam Darnold with some talent. 

I think this is what's going to happen. 

Or keeping Sam Darnold is just talk to up his value and JD likes one of the QB's in the draft at #2. 

Who are the decent free agent QB's available. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I mean, I hope i’m not right and it’s just smoke, but I don’t really see what would materially would change between now and April now that the HC has been hired. 

They haven’t sat down with those QBs yet, they know Sam and currently have access to him. Workouts and Wonderlic test etc. If they impress things will naturally change imo 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Lith said:

On the other hand, the Bengals are a rebuilding team with plenty of holes.  Might they be ok with a guy like Darrisaw at 5, keep their 2 and next year's 1 to continue to build around Burrow.  When is the last time a team traded up to top 5 for a non-QB.  Only guys I can think of were the BIlls and Sammy Watkins and the Phins getting Dion Jordan.  7 - 8 years ago.  

Atlanta for Julio.

• Thumb Down 1

21 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Next year is his 3rd season

He came in after free agency and the draft was over.  He got to pick a few guys off the trash.  He had NO say in season one.  What he did do was access the situation, then blew it up and picked up a bunch of one year guys.  See who was worth signing, knowing he didn't want to tie himself down to long-term contracts going into a season that a) might not be complete because of COVID and b) have a following season where the cap would drop.

Now, we have two firsts this year, with six total picks in the top 100.  We also have two first's next year, and some of the most cap space going into a season where the New Orleans Saints are going into the 2021 season $95 million OVER the cap.  MANY players are going to shake loose from teams and have to take discounts, because most teams caps are low.  

This is chess, not checkers, and he isn't on the hot seat.  If we don't have a winning season by 2022, then the neck tie better get loosened a little. 

3 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Honestly we don’t know what their plan is yet.  They may be undecided.  There are a lot of factors like the combine and what kind of offers they get for 2.  Also the most important is how Saleh views Sam.  But I agree with you it’s obvious they still value Sam.  Even if they do draft a QB they aren’t giving away Sam for peanuts 

My feeling is that the major deciding factor in figuring out whether they want to keep Sam or not comes down to what Saleh wants to do. These reports coming after he's hired just leaves me to believe that Saleh also feels similarly. JD is a draft guy through and through, I have to think that he sees the poor talent in this roster and wants to go after accumulating draft picks to help build out that roster. I don't disagree with that aspect of the philosophy, I just disagree with passing on a QB prospect because they have some faith in Sam to turn this around.

But again, just a conjecture, not saying it's fact.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

“There is none so blind as they who will not see”

Top sports reporter on the planet (Shefter), longest tenured beat writer (Cimini) and someone with proven inside sources (@footballguy) all saying the same thing. Darnold is going to be the starter next year. 

None of those three people said any such thing, but go ahead, gin up the fake news.

4 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

My feeling is that the major deciding factor in figuring out whether they want to keep Sam or not comes down to what Saleh wants to do. These reports coming after he's hired just leaves me to believe that Saleh also feels similarly. JD is a draft guy through and through, I have to think that he sees the poor talent in this roster and wants to go after accumulating draft picks to help build out that roster. I don't disagree with that aspect of the philosophy, I just disagree with passing on a QB prospect because they have some faith in Sam to turn this around.

But again, just a conjecture, not saying it's fact.

I agree.  Jets have a ton of holes.  This might be the best opportunity Douglas has to really rebuild this team quick these next two years having a ton of 1st 2nd and 3rd round picks 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

If only Darnold had an arm line Josh Allen. Unfortunately he can't throw the ball over 20 yards. 

The one thing he better learn is better play action ball handling! Gase let him get lazy with that sh*t & because no one was afraid the of 37 year old Frank Gore no one even payed attention to it! A lot more stretch runs & stuff, and Sam has sneaky speed, I could see some more planned boot legs & keepers near the goal line. Douglas & Saleh are going to build a nasty, nasty Oline! JD coming from Philly & Baltimore & Saleh coming from the Niners? 
One of the Niners drafts was Mike Mclinchey RT. Sewell is a BEAST and the Jets brass wants to run the ball & protect the QB! See below boys! 2018 Draft. Mike McLinchey #9 overall! 
This guy isn’t even in the same stratosphere of Pennei Sewell. 

Position
Offensive tackle
College
Notre Dame
NFL Draft
2018 / Round: 1 / Pick: 9
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Going with Darnold in 2021 is not hitching their wagon to him. If he fails, like he likely will, it just buys the GM and HC another year at the rebuild and they can than add a better QB, whether a vet or a rookie, to a more complete team. In the meantime, it placates the owner, who really seems to want to give Sam every opportunity to be successful as a Jet.

Frankly, from a long term employment perspective, going with Sam in 2021 would be a Win Win scenario for the GM and Coach. If Sam does the impossible and succeeds, they win. If Sam fails, they get to bail on him with ownership's blessing and pursue their preferred QB plan, a win as well. The only pitfall would be if JD absolutely loves one of the non-Lawrence QB's available this year, but I have serious doubts that he does.

This...............................

Bravissimo Bravissima Bravissimi Brava Bravo Bravi Leonardo DiCaprio GIF -  Bravissimo Bravissima Bravissimi - Discover & Share GIFs

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

The one thing he better learn is better play action ball handling! Gase let him get lazy with that sh*t & because no one was afraid the of 37 year old Frank Gore no one even payed attention to it! A lot more stretch runs & stuff, and Sam has sneaky speed, I could see some more planned boot legs & keepers near the goal line. Douglas & Saleh are going to build a nasty, nasty Oline! JD coming from Philly & Baltimore & Saleh coming from the Niners? 
One of the Niners drafts was Mike Mclinchey RT. Sewell is a BEAST and the Jets brass wants to run the ball & protect the QB! See below boys! 2018 Draft. Mike McLinchey #9 overall! 
This guy isn’t even in the same stratosphere of Pennei Sewell. 

Position
Offensive tackle
College
Notre Dame
NFL Draft
2018 / Round: 1 / Pick: 9

That’s an interesting pick I like it.  I liked Wyatt Davis at 23 potentially but I like McLinchey too