Adam Schefter: I expect Sam Darnold to start for the Jets next season

Maxman

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

#2 overall - when there are desirable QB prospects in play at that draft slot - is wayyyyy overkill for a RT, which is where the hole i 

Drafting Sewell upgrades multiple positions, in fact it upgrades the whole team

1st you've upgraded 1 of the tackle spots probably LEFT TACKLE

Sewell is a better pass protector than Becton. He's a more premium athlete, a more premium pick. He's an instant pro Bowler with HOF type potential. 

that's the first upgrade

the second upgrade is moving Becton to RIGHT TACKLE

George Fant was terrible by the way. To pay Fant 9 mil and Shell makes 4.5 was an absolute botch job in free agency. But that's neither here nor there

the guard spots which you spend several hundred words talking about no longer need premium or even more draft picks. It's easy to play guard in between Sewell and McGovern or in between McGovern and Becton. Pat Elflein was terrible this year for the Jets, fans thought he was good because he played next to Becton. 

Cam Clark could be a guard in that offense. Conor McDermott could be a guard in that offense. They just upgraded 3 spots, and that's upgrading the entire offensive line. They don't need Thuney on a Sewell Becton line. in fact a guy like that would be hugely expensive, more expensive than rookie contract Sewell. 

with a top 5 offensive line (not a joke), the Jets have upgraded their entire offense with the Sewell pick 

and finally, because most here don't know this player at all, the LEADERSHIP sewell brings replaces/upgrades the Jamal Adams leadership loss. Say what you want about 33, he was the Curtis Martin MVP 2 years running. If you hate Adams, Sewell is a real version of Adams. If you like Adams, Sewell is another legit leader who holds other players accountable during the game. 

Becton is a nice guy he's also a quiet weirdo off the field. Sam is not vocal either. Who leads this team?  

they just upgraded the entire franchise with 1 pick 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There are several quality QB prospects in this draft.  Grab one and add a veteran option while you're at it.  There is no circumstance where Sam Darnold should be the unquestioned starter in 2021.  That alone would be a fireable offense for Joe Douglas.

If Darnold is back, I guarantee they will either bring in a legit veteran to compete or draft a QB at 23

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, slats said:

They won’t take him because taking OTs high in the first round in back-to-back drafts is poor team building. If the best non-QB this year was an Edge, that player would be very much in play and maybe too good to pass on. They’ll pass on the OT because they already have a really good young cheap one. 

And JD likes moar picks. We know that from just one draft and the Adams deal. If they don’t love a QB, they’ll take the best offer to move down. 

Robert Saleh came from a team that drafted Joe Staley in rd 1, paid him all Pro money, then drafted Mike McGlinchey top 10, then replaced Staley with Trent Williams

a team needs 2 tackles

drafting Becton solves half the problem. 

moving down is an option it's not the sure thing everyone says it is. They are essentially limited to trading down within the top 10 because to get teams outside the top 10 requires ricky williams type multiple first haul. Which would be a hopeful outcome. 

but again if you want to make a trade down market and the Jets are absolutely NOT going to take that player, why would anyone trade up to 2 for that player? They'd trade up to 3 or whatever. The Jets have to be interested in Sewell or there is no trade down market 

speaking of 3 the Dolphins took 3 offensive linemen last draft, Austin Jackson in 1, Robert Hunt in 2 and Solomon Kindley in 4. All three players hit, plus Ereck Flowers, Jesse Davis. Their Center is Ted Karras and that's an upgradable position but THATS a team that doesn't need Sewell.  they have like 7 starters for only 5 positions and shuffle their lineup all the time. Adding Sewell to Miami makes zero sense but everyone mocks that no problem. 

The Jets have Becton and no one - they still need this player. They need any reliable player. This year it just happens to be the tackle. I agree they would rather it be a Myles Garrett or a Calvin Johnson. That's not how the draft works...you take what it gives... you don't make demands based on need 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Robert Saleh came from a team that drafted Joe Staley in rd 1, paid him all Pro money, then drafted Mike McGlinchey top 10, then replaced Staley with Trent Williams

a team needs 2 tackles

moving down is an option it's not the sure thing everyone says it is. They are essentially limited to trading down within the top 10 because to get teams outside the top 10 requires ricky williams type multiple first haul. Which would be a hopeful outcome. 

but again if you want to make a trade down market and the Jets are absolutely NOT going to take that player, why would anyone trade up to 2 for that player? They'd trade up to 3 or whatever. The Jets have to be interested in Sewell or there is no trade down market 

speaking of 3 the Dolphins took 3 offensive linemen last draft, Austin Jackson in 1, Robert Hunt in 2 and Solomon Kindley in 4. All three players hit, plus Ereck Flowers, Jesse Davis. Their Center is Ted Karras and that's an upgradable position but THATS a team that doesn't need Sewell. 

The Jets have Becton and no one - they still need this player. 

Let's say JD drafts Sewell, what's the QB plan?

• Draft one at #23, still trade Darnold
  • Draft one at #23, keep Darnold
  • Bring in a vet, still trade Darnold
  • Bring in a vet, keep Darnold

This is another reason I don't see Jets trading Darnold before draft -- telegraphs a lot.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

No chance to take a QB at 2?

Hmmm. Maybe.

I think when you use an asset as valuable as the #2 overall pick on a QB, you are basically 100% committing to moving on from Sam - so why not just trade Sam before (or right after) making that pick? 

but it’s not impossible 

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Sewell is a better pass protector than Becton. He's a more premium athlete, a more premium pick. He's an instant pro Bowler with HOF type potential. 

that's the first upgrade

George Fant was terrible by the way. To pay Fant 9 mil and Shell makes 4.5 was an absolute botch job in free agency. But that's neither here nor there

the guard spots which you spend several hundred words talking about no longer need premium or even more draft picks. It's easy to play guard in between Sewell and McGovern or in between McGovern and Becton. Pat Elflein was terrible this year for the Jets, fans thought he was good because he played next to Becton. 

Cam Clark could be a guard in that offense. Conor McDermott could be a guard in that offense. They just upgraded 3 spots, and that's upgrading the entire offensive line. They don't need Thuney on a Sewell Becton line. in fact a guy like that would be hugely expensive, more expensive than rookie contract Sewell. 

with a top 5 offensive line (not a joke), the Jets have upgraded their entire offense with the Sewell pick 

and finally, because most here don't know this player at all, the LEADERSHIP sewell brings replaces/upgrades the Jamal Adams leadership loss. Say what you want about 33, he was the Curtis Martin MVP 2 years running. If you hate Adams, Sewell is a real version of Adams. If you like Adams, Sewell is another legit leader who holds other players accountable during the game. 

Becton is a nice guy he's also a quiet weirdo off the field. Sam is not vocal either. Who leads this team?  

I am more of a trade down guy, but imagine if they drafted Sewell, move Becton to RT, and sign Linsley and move McGovern to guard.  Upgrades 4 positions.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

that's the first upgrade

It really doesn't upgrade the whole team. It upgrades RT.

It's a guess and a desire that he'll be as good or better than Becton, including in pass protection. It's based on 2 things: what he was before sitting out and not playing for a year; and Becton's play on the Jets, blocking for a QB who holds the ball too long, with a lot of suspect play at LG, after a covid-abbreviated summer.

What would upgrade more is using some of this glorious cap room on 2-3 starters instead of RT, and create a pipeline to take over for them if/when needed, while also upgrading 2 other positions.

List the history of superbowl winners that already had its LT of the future from last year's draft and then used the #2 overall pick on any OL position (which would presumably only be a T anyway). 

2 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

I am more of a trade down guy, but imagine if they drafted Sewell, move Becton to RT, and sign Linsley and move McGovern to guard.  Upgrades 4 positions.  

I’m also on the trade down bandwagon but I wouldn’t be upset with Sewell.  Him and Becton would be monsters for the next decade 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

that's the first upgrade

Damn bro, I agree with you on the grand strategy of this draft:

• build the roster first before you try to develop another QB
  • don't take the leftovers at quarterback in the TL draft

But you're pounding the table hard for Sewell @ 2. I respect the conviction, and I'm happy to take another tackle in the first round this year... but we've got to do everything we can to make this pick into more picks. The best use of this resource right now is a trade down, no?

• Upvote 2

Just now, Butterfield said:

McGovern would be happier at guard that's true. Finding a center is another multiple upgrade move.

I don't know if it's a vet like Linsley or whoever else but the last time this team had any success it had a real offensive line. these teams in the playoffs, they all have offensive line builds to protect their QBs and run against nickel type fronts 

the team Saleh comes from is not a "QB at all costs" type of program. The 49ers built a line, keep investing in it. The Jets need a George Kittle 

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Hmmm. Maybe.

I think when you use an asset as valuable as the #2 overall pick on a QB, you are basically 100% committing to moving on from Sam - so why not just trade Sam before (or right after) making that pick? 

but it’s not impossible 

I still think >50% Darnold gets traded

• Upvote 2

Assuming we stick with Darnold and trade down, what are some realistic ideas? I’m not asking whether we should trade down or not, simply ideas on the value we’d get back if we do.

Here are some thoughts I had:

SF I think would want Wilson:

Jets send #2

Jets receive: #12, Mike McGlinchey, #43

Carolina is another team that might want to jump for a QB:

Jets send #2

Jets receive: #8, #39, 2022 1st, 2022 3rd

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Damn bro, I agree with you on the grand strategy of this draft:

• build the roster first before you try to develop another QB
  • don't take the leftovers at quarterback in the TL draft

But you're pounding the table hard for Sewell @ 2. I respect the conviction, and I'm happy to take another tackle in the first round this year... but we've got to do everything we can to make this pick into more picks. The best use of our resources right now is a trade down, no?

My first choice is to trade down.  This is one of those rare opportunities where you are in a great spot to add more assets on top of the two extra first rounders we already have.  You can build this team very quickly within two years instead of spending a ton of cap on 2-3 players like we have done in the past 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

that's the first upgrade

Good stuff. Compelling post.

Someone may need to dig deep but I'd be curious as to any examples of teams that were considered bad on offense who then went back-to-back in the Draft with 1st round OTs in consecutive years.  Without a QB change, how much did those teams improve?

And let me add this.  The Jets went something like 3 consecutive years spending 1st round picks on the D Line.  They spent 50% of their 1st round picks in a decade on D Line.... guys like Wilkerson, Richardson, Quinton Coples, Leo Williams, Quinnen Williams.

So, why would it be outlandish to spend consecutive 1st round picks in two years on the second most premium offensive position?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

McGovern would be happier at guard that's true. Finding a center is another multiple upgrade move.

I don't know if it's a vet like Linsley or whoever else but the last time this team had any success it had a real offensive line. these teams in the playoffs, they all have offensive line builds to protect their QBs and run against nickel type fronts 

the team Saleh comes from is not a "QB at all costs" type of program. The 49ers built a line, keep investing in it. The Jets need a George Kittle 

I agree.  Linsley is rated just about as good as it gets.  I think it would be good to have a veteran at center, making sure the younger guys are set.  Linsley, having experience with a LaFluer in GB, would be ready to go in this offense.  I personally think the McGovern signing was a mistake, but he would be better at guard, hopefully.  

A George Kittle is definitely required.  Pitts could be an option in a trade down.  There are a few other interesting players in the draft, and guys like Jonnu Smith and Everett in free agency.  

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

I still think >50% Darnold gets traded

I hope you are right. 

And, the thing is, regardless of what the Jets are thinking on 01/15/2021, people need to remember that the decision hasn't been made yet. 

One of the big things the new coaching staff is going to do is thoroughly study Sam's game tape over the past 3 seasons. He has a LOT of bad game tape. The other thing the Jets are going to do is thoroughly scout the the QBs in this draft. It's very plausible that they fall in love with one of these QBs OR just lose confidence in Sam as they evaluate him more closely. 

A lot can happen between now and April. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Butterfield said:

I agree.  Linsley is rated just about as good as it gets.  I think it would be good to have a veteran at center, making sure the younger guys are set.  Linsley, having experience with a LaFluer in GB, would be ready to go in this offense.  I personally think the McGovern signing was a mistake, but he would be better at guard, hopefully.  

A George Kittle is definitely required.  Pitts could be an option in a trade down.  There are a few other interesting players in the draft, and guys like Jonnu Smith and Everett in free agency.  

What about Ohio St TE Jeremy Ruckert in the later rounds if he decides to enter the NFL Draft. 

8 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Assuming we stick with Darnold and trade down, what are some realistic ideas? I’m not asking whether we should trade down or not, simply ideas on the value we’d get back if we do.

Here are some thoughts I had:

SF I think would want Wilson:

Jets send #2

Jets receive: #12, Mike McGlinchey, #43

Carolina is another team that might want to jump for a QB:

Jets send #2

Jets receive: #8, #39, 2022 1st, 2022 3rd

Hell no he’s hated in San Francisco and is always the butt of the jokes. No ty 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

I hope you are right. 

And, the thing is, regardless of what the Jets are thinking on 01/15/2021, people need to remember that the decision hasn't been made yet. 

One of the big things the new coaching staff is going to do is thoroughly study Sam's game tape over the past 3 seasons. He has a LOT of bad game tape. The other thing the Jets are going to do is thoroughly scout the the QBs in this draft. It's very plausible that they fall in love with one of these QBs OR just lose confidence in Sam as they evaluate him more closely. 

A lot can happen between now and April. 

Absolutely.  Nobody knows for certain.  I think any view you have if what they should is a viable option.  But like you said they still have time and a lot of work to do before they can make a decision 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

a team needs 2 tackles

speaking of 3 the Dolphins took 3 offensive linemen last draft, Austin Jackson in 1, Robert Hunt in 2 and Solomon Kindley in 4. All three players hit, plus Ereck Flowers, Jesse Davis. Their Center is Ted Karras and that's an upgradable position but THATS a team that doesn't need Sewell. 

The Jets have Becton and no one - they still need this player. 

Saleh came from a team that drafted Joe Staley at the bottom of round 1 after trading with the Pats, in exchange for the following year's unknown 1st rounder iirc -- not at #2 overall. He played RT as a rookie - as tackles often do - and then was a staple at LT for a decade. 

You are highlighting an example of a team that did NOT burn two high 1st round picks in back-to-back seasons on OTs. 

McGlinchey was drafted to ideally be their LT eventually, as Staley was already 34 when they drafted McG. If they later decide he's just better suited for RT that's a separate evaluation made only after having him.

That's not the Jets' situation with Becton, though, who did more than a passable job at LT for a rookie with only a covid-limited rookie summer. Never mind that even in that case, signing T.Williams to play LT for another year or two until Becton's ready for that side still isn't the same thing because the Jets in that case would still have their #2 pick to use or trade. 

Nobody does that. Even at #9 overall, where they took McGlinchey, you didn't see SF trade up to #2 to draft him and forgo all the picks it'd take to close that 7-slot span. If they trade down to around #9 and Sewell is still there after pocketing another 1st rounder for moving down, then that would be different.

• Upvote 1

I normally disagree with @bitonti on just about everything but he couldn’t be any more on the money about Sewell. Barring a great trade offer he has to be the pick, especially if we’re not into the QB’s. He’s simply levels above the other options and the Jets cannot pass in such elite talents at premium positions.

Putting him and Becton on the same line would be almost unfair. Strengthening the most important unit in the game. This is why the comparisons to repeatedly drafting interior linemen simply don’t hold. I know @slats and @Sperm Edwards have mentioned this. The value of having an elite interior defensive front just isn’t close to the same as having an elite offensive line. It’s not close. Nor does it setup the situation for the young QB the way building this line would. Whoever we end up with at QB this season or the next is likely going to overperform as a result. The way Tannehill and Mayfield have this year.

The best lines in the league nearly all made the playoffs, with Cleveland’s basically carrying them there. They invested in Wills and Conklin, we should follow suit with Becton and Sewell.

I think a quality guard in free agency combined with Sewell makes this easily a top 10 unit, and potentially the best in terms of outside protection. The possibilities once you’ve got that force in place are endless. We’d have two of the most athletic tackles in the league.

It is the safest option, the surest option and by far and away the best option. Sewell is the guy. Build that wall. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Saleh came from a team that drafted Joe Staley at the bottom of round 1 after trading with the Pats, in exchange for the following year's unknown 1st rounder iirc -- not at #2 overall. He played RT as a rookie - as tackles often do - and then was a staple at LT for a decade. 

You are highlighting an example of a team that did NOT burn two high 1st round picks in back-to-back seasons on OTs. 

McGlinchey was drafted to ideally be their LT eventually, as Staley was already 34 when they drafted McG. If they later decide he's just better suited for RT that's a separate evaluation made only after having him.

That's not the Jets' situation with Becton, though, who did more than a passable job at LT for a rookie with only a covid-limited rookie summer. Never mind that even in that case, signing T.Williams to play LT for another year or two until Becton's ready for that side still isn't the same thing because the Jets in that case would still have their #2 pick to use or trade. 

Nobody does that. Even at #9 overall, where they took McGlinchey, you didn't see SF trade up to #2 to draft him and forgo all the picks it'd take to close that 7-slot span. If they trade down to around #9 and Sewell is still there after pocketing another 1st rounder for moving down, then that would be different.

? drop 

• Haha 1

Just now, Irish Jet said:

I normally disagree with @bitonti on just about everything but he couldn’t be any more on the money about Sewell. Barring a great trade offer he has to be the pick, especially if we’re not into the QB’s.

Putting him and Becton on the same line would be almost unfair. Strengthening the most important unit in the game. This is why the comparisons to repeatedly drafting interior linemen simply don’t hold. I know @slats and @Sperm Edwards have mentioned this. The value of having an elite interior defensive front just isn’t close to the same as having an elite offensive line. It’s not close. Nor does it setup the situation for the young QB the way building this line would. Whoever we end up with at QB this season or the next is likely going to overperform as a result. The way Tannehill and Mayfield have this year.

The best lines in the league nearly all made the playoffs, with Cleveland’s basically carrying them there. They invested in Wills and Conklin, we should follow suit with Becton and Sewell.

I think a quality guard in free agency combined with Sewell makes this easily a top 10 unit, and potentially the best in terms of outside protection. The possibilities once you’ve got that force in place are endless. We’d have two of the most athletic tackles in the league.

It is the safest option, the surest option and by far and away the best option. Sewell is the guy. Build that wall. 

List all the playoff teams that used their 2 high 1st round draft picks on their OL (in successive years, no less). I'll stay on the line. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Hell no he’s hated in San Francisco and is always the butt of the jokes. No ty 

Hmm. I don’t watch SF much, but I was under the impression he was living up to his draft slot. If this is the case, then SF is likely too far back to be a realistic trade partner unless they have another young player we can use. 

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

List the history of superbowl winners that already had its LT of the future from last year's draft and then used the #2 overall pick on any OL position (which would presumably only be a T anyway). 

ok right after you list the history of super bowl winners who took their QB at 2 overall 

the Jets offense, whatever it had in 2020 was completely left handed. Imagine being able to run either way, at will. 

and there is evidence that Sewell is a better prospect they played 2019 and he graded better at Oregon than Becton did at Louisville (both graded very well) 

15 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

But you're pounding the table hard for Sewell @ 2. I respect the conviction, and I'm happy to take another tackle in the first round this year... but we've got to do everything we can to make this pick into more picks. The best use of this resource right now is a trade down, no?

Sewell is special. The guys they get in a trade down probably don't add up to one Sewell on game day.  The team lacks a vocal leader, someone to push them toward wins. 

They say a picture is worth 1000 words I keep leaving this one around. the gesture is called dubs down and it has something to do with winning football games

something these losers on the Jets know nothing about 

sewell2.gif.4ecb338f97424a988a3f3e31bea5ea55.gif

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

List all the playoff teams that used their 2 high 1st round draft picks on their OL (in successive years, no less). I'll stay on the line. 

Stats are deceptive. 5 of 6 teams with highest paid QBs made playoffs this year. 6 of 6 in last two years. 16 of last 20 SBs champs had a HOF or HOF-bound QB. 19 of 20 had a QB who made at least 1 pro bowl before winning the SB. 

Argument could easily be made that without a good-to-very QB you have almost no chance.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Someone may need to dig deep but I'd be curious as to any examples of teams that were considered bad on offense who then went back-to-back in the Draft with 1st round OTs in consecutive years.  Without a QB change, how much did those teams improve?

it's not identical (same class) put i keep coming back to Brick & Nick

one guy is not enough to build a good line 

saying we have becton is like saying we have one slice of bread it's a sandwich now 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

He came in after free agency and the draft was over.  He got to pick a few guys off the trash.  He had NO say in season one.  What he did do was access the situation, then blew it up and picked up a bunch of one year guys.  See who was worth signing, knowing he didn't want to tie himself down to long-term contracts going into a season that a) might not be complete because of COVID and b) have a following season where the cap would drop.

Now, we have two firsts this year, with six total picks in the top 100.  We also have two first's next year, and some of the most cap space going into a season where the New Orleans Saints are going into the 2021 season $95 million OVER the cap.  MANY players are going to shake loose from teams and have to take discounts, because most teams caps are low.  

This is chess, not checkers, and he isn't on the hot seat.  If we don't have a winning season by 2022, then the neck tie better get loosened a little. 

No one said he is on the hot seat but trust me. If we are a losing team next year you are why your record says you are. 3 straight losing seasons. Let’s see what happens 

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

This 

It's far more likely that jd loses his job reaching for a qb than he does trading down or taking the greatest lineman in pff history. 

Taking the big swing at qb, that starts his clock and the super bowl window. Missing on Fields or Wilson, they won't give him another chance to make that high qb pick again 

He dances around it for a a few years it buys jd time 

I partly agree with you. I would just add that taking a player that plays the same position as arguably your best player is extremely questionable. Especially when we need interior lineman to keep Sam from getting pressure up the middle, which is why he throws off his back foot way too much. Also, we need a legit #1 receiver that we most likely won't be able to get in free agency. If you were Allen Robinson and playing with Trubisky would you want to come here and play with Sam? No. That's why I think we should draft a receiver after trading back only a few spots. Chase or Smith and Sam will have his Stefon Diggs to get better with. 

The crazy thing is that if Sam even showed just a little bit of potential in these first 3 years we’d be in a very advantageous position to trade down and accumulate a ton of picks. But the fact that’s he been so bad makes you think they really got to take the QB @2