Grade the hire of Robert Saleh as Jets HC

Hiring Robert Saleh  

209 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give the Jets hiring of Robert Saleh?

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D
    • F

B.

Highly regarded coordinator, seems to be bringing in a knowledgeable OC, has the 'leader of men' tag. 

Little concerned about him having to learn on the job but it is what it is. Hopefully he's a skilled tactical mind, those 'rah rah' guys(Tomlin, Carroll) routinely get outcoached tactically.

Cautiously optimistic.

• Upvote 2

I give it an A-.  Saleh was in my top 3.  Two of them (Matt Campbell and PJ FLek) did not interview.  It is what this franchise needs right now and is the right fit because his defenses are based on strong DL's which we have.  He will need a strong OC and while either LaFleur or Mcdaniel are his choices that does not necessarily mean its in the books.  Joe now needs to hit on Free Agency and the draft.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Thread created for the sole purpose of bumping it in three years to make half the site look foolish?  Although, come to think of it, half the site does that on a daily basis right now.

I gave it a "B".  None of us know how he will adapt to the HC role, but I really like the fact that we got the guy we wanted.  Based on reports, he was in demand from other teams, yet he was our first offer and he acccepted despite interest from other teams.  Much happier today than I was two years ago after the Gase hire.

Edit: So I gave him a "B" and I am (at least as of now) one of the three most pessimsitic posters in the poll.  JN Loves this guy.  Now, I am scared.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Thread created for the sole purpose of bumping it in three years to make half the site look foolish?  Although, come to think of it, half the site does that on a daily basis right now.

I gave it a "B".  None of us know how he will adapt to the HC role, but I really like the fact that we got the guy we wanted.  Based on reports, he was in demand from other teams, yet he was our first offer and he acccepted despite interest from other teams.  Much happier today than I was two years ago after the Gase hire.

Never a problem to have first impressions/evaluations on the record. 

It's also nice to see the vast bulk of us seemingly excited and positive about the hire, first time in quite a number of years that seems to be the case.

Given how often some folks claim to be right, when they were usually dead wrong at the time, it's a useful tool once in a while.

Only trouble is on JN you can only search back as far as 1 year, sorta limiting the usefulness of threads like these for future mocking/congratulating folks on being wrong/right.

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I went with a B+.  We can't pretend he's a totally perfect candidate, but those are like freakin' unicorns when it comes to coaching hires, as an already proven highly success HC just doesn't become available.  Of the candidates that came out, he was always one of the higher guys on my list, and Gase did enough to prove that your history of what side of the ball you coached has no connection to your future success as a head coach.  Besides, the rest of the division seem to be doing just fine for themselves with defensive coaches.  From there, we just have to hope that LaFleur is the right guy, assuming of course the rumors are true.

I also can't help but be thrilled that neither Marvin Lewis nor Brian Daboll came anywhere close to getting this job after getting interviewed in the first round, as they were by far my two greatest fears of guys I wanted nothing to do with.

Now of course it becomes a wait and see situation, but it's certainly a good place to start.

I do not understand the love for Daboll.  An excellent year after multiple horrible ones doesn't excite me really.

• Upvote 2

You mean what grade do you give Saleh for taking the job as Jets HC ??? I'd give him a big red "F".

He just voluntarily agreed to be an NFL HC under the owner & management that needlessly gave away Trevor Lawrence.

Saleh's professional grave as NFL HC has just been dug.  He just doesn't know it yet. 

• Thumb Down 4
  • WTF? 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, THE BARON said:

You mean what grade do you give Saleh for taking the job as Jets HC ??? I'd give him a big red "F".

He just voluntarily agreed to be an NFL HC under the owner & management that needlessly gave away Trevor Lawrence.

Saleh's professional grave as NFL HC has just been dug.  He just doesn't know it yet. 

Damn.

And people call me a downer cynic.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's also nice to see the vast bulk of us seemingly excited and positive about the hire, first time in quite a number of years that seems to be the case.

Given how often some folks claim to be right, when they were usually dead wrong at the time, it's a useful tool once in a while.

Only trouble is on JN you can only search back as far as 1 year, sorta limiting the usefulness of threads like these for future mocking/congratulating folks on being wrong/right.

I did not mean it to be critical of the thread -- made the comment as more of a joke.  But it seems in this case either we are all going to be right or we are all going to be wrong.

• Upvote 3

I give an A, looks and behaves like a football coach, will bring energy to sideline replacing previous two holograms, gets raves from players, supposedly well versed on both sides of the ball, and i like the fact contract length matches JD's, these guys are in it together

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Well if we're going to be using this for future record-keeping purposes, then I want it to be known right now that once we're likely ready to fire him in about 3-4 years from now, I'm the first one who came up with the phrase that it's time to "Toss the Saleh".

• Haha 2

Everything this guy has said and accomplished proves he is an incredibly smart and motivated man. He seems to have great rapport with his players without seeming to be “easy” to work for. He checks all the “leader of men” boxes. What remains ungraded is his overall philosophy, game planning, and in game adjustments. I’m very enthusiastic but it’s a B until we see more.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

I gave it a B 

Think the hire is solid. Has a lot of quality characteristics including a top performing unit at his previous job, fiery energy, and the "leader of men" Tag. Like the fact that he has experience as a TE coach. I couldn't give it an A because while its all promising, he's still yet another Rookie HC and will have to learn a lot on the job. 

Good hire tho. Great job JD!

A if we're grading the hire.

He was my first choice. Assuming he was theirs, thats an A.

To me, if you graded less than an A, who was your A hire? Who did they miss out on? I mean if we're going on record here...

If we're grading based on his performance as HC, then my grade is LOLJetsFans.

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Damn.

And people call me a downer cynic.

Ha !  One bright spot.   If he brings in an OC that runs a system similar to what the 49'ers are running now (Kyle Shanahan) it will be a windfall for Sam Darnold.  No BS there.  That type of offence is exactly what I have been saying they need to run with Sam.  It would be a perfect fit.