Grade the hire of Robert Saleh as Jets HC

Hiring Robert Saleh  

209 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give the Jets hiring of Robert Saleh?

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D
    • F

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Solid B+ today, with upside for the future.

Solid guy (it seems), great sideline passion and attitude (reportedly, I don't watch the 49'ers much), knowledgeable and well regarded (I'm told/read), and with a resume of documented success (taken from the Stats and rankings).  And he supposedly can build a 'culture', which we desperately need right now.

Hard to object to him on the face of this decision:  He was a well regarded, in-demand candidate this cycle, that a number of teams pursued, and no one seemed to think "wasn't ready" for a Head Coach job, and with no previous record of drastic failures as a D-Co. 

If there was something to complain about, I'd find it.  Doesn't seem to be the case.

About the only concern is him being yet another First-Time-D-Co-as-Head Coach, concerning me that the Offense (which has been historically bad for over 20 years now) will not get the attention it so desperately requires, but I think it's only fair to see what/how Saleh/Douglas move forward BEFORE we start worrying about that.

I support the hire.  No complaints.

This is weird.

I voted B+ too.

It's like we're in each other's heads man.

the dude your opinion GIF

Voted A. He appears to have qualities of a good leader. The only thing that concerns me is the ability to maintain continuity on offense. It appears to me that the defensive coaches in the league do have up and down offenses due to personnel constantly being poached from them. On defense you can hire the Wade Phillips’s of the world and get away with no one hiring them away. Still quite happy. 

5 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Who is giving it a B+ and why?

Because he’s competent and a guy players will want to play for

he did a good job last season with the 49ers with injuries galore and would have won the Super Bowl the year before if Shanahan had decided to run it in the second half 

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

B+ he was a premium coach on that list and should have gotten a HC job last year

You're probably right.  But I actually like the fact the Jets got him not after his Super Bowl year, but after a year in which the team hit hard times, lost players to injury, yet was resilient and that D performed really well.

If anything, this past year should give us more confidence and confirmation that this guy isn't just riding a high and a Super Bowl run, that when times get tough he shows he's tougher.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Because he’s competent and a guy players will want to play for

he did a good job last season with the 49ers with injuries galore and would have won the Super Bowl the year before if Shanahan had decided to run it in the second half 

best news in 10+ years from this sh*t franchise

if this ain't an A+, I don't know what is...

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

A+ 

done deal.

Can't find a SINGLE PERSON of any note or any stature saying anything other than, "this hire is a home run"...paraphrasing.

That is a very.. interesting metric given many said what a good coach Gase was and it was a "underrated" hire. 

On paper it looks perfect, hopefully a few years from now we look back and today's feeling is validated.  I'm really excited about him and Lafleur.  It's time for Joe to get to work with all these picks and cap room and I believe we'll at least be a playoff contender this year.

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

B. If they bring in the right OC it would get higher. I’m not as happy as when they hired Rex but 1000 times happier then when they hire Gase and Dolittle. It has a good upside 

SO grading Saleh hire is dependent on who he hires? ANd you ref Rex who had a crappy OC as better?

That doesnt make sense to me, it be one thing to say thejury is out if you are waiting the OC thing, but just on his hire, it was an A plus, perfect score for getting what oyu want

I gave it a B+. Folks would find a way to criticize Andy Reid if he was looking for a coaching job. No one is perfect.

Plus, if it doesn't work out, Saleh is only five letters, and hiring a plane with a banner to fly around the stadium will be cheaper than if if last name was "Harbaugh" or "Morningwhig" or something like that ... ;) 

• Upvote 1