On To Free Agency!

BettyBoop

Douglas got his guy.  He exudes CEO vibes and is quite charismatic.  That helps with ‘recruiting’ free agents.  Saleh won’t be Gaze and forget about one side of the ball.  My choice and guess on free agents are as follows:

• WR: Juju Smith-Schuster, WR
  • Joe Thuney, G
  • Corey Linsley, C
  • Leonard Floyd, Edge
  • MacKensie Alexander, CB

With two free agent OL signings I don’t think Douglas will draft an OL until round three or later.  I do think Douglas will try to trade out of #2 but he just won’t get the kind of haul some posters are dreaming about.  Going down to #9 with the Panthers it would be reasonable to get their second (#39) this year and next year.  That could land us:

• #9:  Kyle Pitts, TE
  • #23 Tyson Campbell, CB
  • # 34 Kadarius Toney, WR
  • # 39 Jaelen Phillips, Edge

Those nine players could make quite a difference to the team next year.

For the posters who want to respond, “No way in hell is he there at #XX!!!”.  Just don’t.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

I would target 

qb winston-I dont think jets are drafting a qb and sam needs competition 

godwin then arob either works-dont want juju at all

rb I would target gus edwards or Jeff wilson  and Phillip Lindsay 

te-throw lots of money at hunter henry

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, prime21 said:

The only way Carolina makes that move is for a QB and that will have to cost them their #1 next year in any deal.

It took us three 2nds to move from 6 to 3 so yeah getting just two 2nds would be unacceptable. Especially in an arguably better QB class. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, kmnj said:

I would target 

Good post.  

Agree on Winston.  I would love ARob but I don’t think we will get him.  I’m a big fan of Gus Edwards and would love to have him.  A little worried about Henry’s injury history.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

I'm good with everyone there except Juju. There's too many good WRs available to settle for Juju.

agree totally

I am not a juju guy at all

I think he is actually the third best wr on his own team

we need a legit stud arob or godwin fit the bill

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Tranquilo said:

I'm good with everyone there except Juju. There's too many good WRs available to settle for Juju.

Was gonna say the same thing, I think Juju turned off a lot of teams with his locker room theatrics. My guess is he will be blacklisted from a lot of organizations unless he comes at a steep discount. That's the only way I see him in a Jets uniform next season. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, BettyBoop said:

Good post.  

Agree on Winston.  I would love ARob but I don’t think we will get him.  I’m a big fan of Gus Edwards and would love to have him.  A little worried about Henry’s injury history.

tight ends out there are mostly old guys -henry is by far the best option-he can be our modern day mickey shuler

11 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Douglas got his guy.  He exudes CEO vibes and is quite charismatic.  That helps with ‘recruiting’ free agents.  Saleh won’t be Gaze and forget about one side of the ball.  My choice and guess on free agents are as follows:

• Joe Thuney, G
  • Corey Linsley, C
  • Leonard Floyd, Edge

With two free agent OL signings I don’t think Douglas will draft an OL until round three or later.  I do think Douglas will try to trade out of #2 but he just won’t get the kind of haul some posters are dreaming about.  Going down to #9 with the Panthers it would be reasonable to get their second (#39) this year and next year.  That could land us:

• #23 Tyson Campbell, CB

For the posters who want to respond, “No way in hell is he there at #XX!!!”.  Just don’t.

2 to 9 gets more than just two second round draft picks.

Macc (overpaid) but gave  up 3 seconds to go from 6 to 3

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, JXN_JET said:

Was gonna say the same thing, I think Juju turned off a lot of teams with his locker room theatrics. My guess is he will be blacklisted from a lot of organizations unless he comes at a steep discount. That's the only way I see him in a Jets uniform next season. 

glad us arm chair gms mostly seem to be against juju

I think on his own team dj and clay are better 

• Upvote 2

I do think the Shanahan style offense should be a good selling point to WR FA’s. The lead guy gets peppered with targets. Hopefully they can land Robinson, Godwin, or Golladay. That plus a guard (Thuney, Scherff), a cheap vet RB who fits the scheme, and a couple miscellaneous guys from SF to install the culture and bridge the defensive scheme change and you’re off and running.

20 minutes ago, kmnj said:

I would target 

IMO if they bring in someone to compete with Sam it will be someone who is familiar with the new offensive system

Juju is the youngest & toughest WR available. This team needs tough guys & again, are we looking for choir boys? Juju knows Sam, Saleh knows how to keep players in line. 

Mims & Juju, blocking on the edges in that stretch running game? Sign me up! The other Free agents will be 1 expensive (Thuney- He was targeted last year & the Pats franchised him-  doubt he wanted to go to the Jets anyway but Joe Douglas & Saleh will convince him based on building an extroidinary Oline here). 

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

• Joe Thuney, G
  • Corey Linsley, C
  • Leonard Floyd, Edge

• #23 Tyson Campbell, CB

Correct me if I am wrong.. But isn't JuJu a slot receiver? I am fine with Crowder in that position. I like..

- WR Allen Robinson or WR Corey Davis 

- WR Curtis Samuel 

- G Joe Thuney 

- DE Yannick Ngakoue

Draft

#2 - Zach Wilson

#23 - Wyatt Davis / Creed Humphry

#34 - Najee Harris / Travis Etienne

• Joe Thuney, G
  • Corey Linsley, C
  • Leonard Floyd, Edge

• #23 Tyson Campbell, CB

Based on his actions late in the season , there is zero chance JD will bring Juju anywhere near this team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

I would target 

Winston isn't leaving his current job

• Upvote 1

I wouldn’t hate trading #23 to the Cowboys for #44 (and another late rounder) and Michael Gallop whose cap hit is $1.2mm this year.

Wouldnt be the worst thing in the world but WHY?   We have plenty of cap money and there are a lot of FA WRs.  Why squander high draft picks when you dont need to?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

Robinson would be my top priority but he will cost a ton especially to come here. Thuney is also high on my list.  If we do trade down I don’t want to drop too far

Only way Robinson and Thuney come here is if we offer both to be the highest paid players at their respective positions 

1 hour ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Teams will fall in love with either Fields or Wilson and Douglas will easily be able to trade out. Keep an eye on the Falcons. They pick 4 and I’m sure Smith and new GM have there eyes on the future with a QB pick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Falcons aren't the only ones... I see Falcons, Cincy, Lions or Panthers, Every one of those teams picks before 10 which is good enough for me. I think we could get some very good extra draft picks.

• Joe Thuney, G
  • Corey Linsley, C
  • Leonard Floyd, Edge

• #23 Tyson Campbell, CB

JMO:

We're not signing JuJu.  Or Robinson either.

We might try to sign Thuney, we probably won't get him (alot of competition).

We're not drafting a TE in the first round.  

We're not drafting Defense at all in the first round (unless we are stupid).

I expect mid-level FA's, not the "big flashy names" types.  Lunchbucket type guys.

I expect a trade down in the draft from #2, and no 1st Round QB.

I expect a #1 WR early, a #1 RB and two starter-quality O-lineman in the first few rounds, and a mid-tier QB prospect (Jones, Trask) if one falls to an advantageous spot or we get enough picks in 2021 in the trade down.

I expect Defense picks starting in the mid-rounds and for much of the late rounds.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Still need a RT

Saints are very possibly going to be so cap-crunched they can't extend both Lattimore and Ramczyk.  I would toss them one of our 3rd rounders and maybe take on another bad contract to get either of them.  Ramczyk solves the RT problem with extreme prejudice :)

• Upvote 1

For the most part, I think this is fairly realistic.  

Linsley and Thuney would be perfect.  Move McGovern to guard and that is a more than serviceable line.  I could see Juju, if he comes at a cheaper than expected price.  The jets can’t sign the top guy at every position and he has history with Darnold.  I see the Jets signing either Sherman or Verrett at CB.  Need a few guys familiar with the system.  Getting an edge guy will be needed.  Floyd isn’t my top guy, but he would be a huge upgrade.  Another couple guys to keep your eye on are Jonnu Smith and Gerald Everett at tight end.  They are going to run multiple tight ends and these guys are great at move tight end.

If the Jets move down, I think they have their eye on Pitts or Gregory Rousseau.  Edge at tight end are both plus positions on the ravens, eagles and 49ers.  We should expect resources to be used on those positions.