On To Free Agency!

BettyBoop

12 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Wouldnt be the worst thing in the world but WHY?   We have plenty of cap money and there are a lot of FA WRs.  Why squander high draft picks when you dont need to?

I think Gallup is very solid and will only cost $1.2mm in 2021.  And I think Douglas can find another good WR at #44.  If he doesn’t spend $20mm on ARob there will be a better chance to sign Thuney and Matt Judon or Bud Dupree.  After we re-sign Maye, Poole and others we won’t have nearly as much cap space as many think.  

2 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I think Gallup is very solid and will only cost $1.2mm in 2021.  And I think Douglas can find another good WR at #44.  If he doesn’t spend $20mm on ARob there will be a better chance to sign Thuney and Matt Judon or Bud Dupree.  After we re-sign Maye, Poole and others we won’t have nearly as much cap space as many think.  

Isnt Gallup in the last year of his rookie contract?  So you think its worth a first rd pick to save the money for a year?

15 minutes ago, rangerous said:

not so sure rt is the critical need for the oline.  i think it's the interior.  this is where clark really starts coming into play.  wasn't he a tackle in college?  maybe he's being groomed to replace fant.

Fant will likely be a cap casualty so matter how you slice it, the Jets will likely need a RT.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Robinson will be resigned by the bears.

With what money?  They're currently over the projected cap. 

Khalil Mack ($26.6M), Kyle Fuller ($20M), Robert Quinn ($14.7M), Akiem Hicks ($12M), Eddie Jackson ($11.5M) Charles Leno ($11.3M), Jimmy Graham ($10M), Cody Whitehair ($9.6M) and Bobby Massie ($9.3M) all have substantial cap figures in 2021.  Because their roster is so top-heavy in cap usage, they'd have to cut a LOT of people to make room for Robinson.

The only easily cuttable players on the above list would be Hicks and Graham, who would save $10.5M and $7M in cap space, respectively, with minimal dead cap hits.  That's not enough to bring back Robinson AND address other needs AND sign their draft picks.  Robinson wants a contract that will exceed the $20M per year that Keenan Allen got over 4 years.

So people actually think that 

1.  JD is going to sign Jameis Winston, a walking turnover, who couldnt play ahead of taysom hill.

2.   Going to sign a center when McGovern graded out as top 10 in the league over the second half of the season with replacement level guards next to him and is on a reasonable contract.  Unreal.  The guy needed time to gel with a new team/offense and no offseason. Once that happened he played very well.  He certainly doesnt need to be replaced.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

So people actually think that 

1.  JD is going to sign Jameis Winston, a walking turnover, who couldnt play ahead of taysom hill.

2.   Going to sign a center when McGovern graded out as top 10 in the league over the second half of the season with replacement level guards next to him and is on a reasonable contract.  Unreal.  The guy needed time to gel with a new team/offense and no offseason. Once that happened he played very well.  He certainly doesnt need to be replaced.

McGovern would slide to Guard in this instance.  McGovern is going nowhere.  The financials in his contract ensures he gets at least 1 more year here.  

And Winston would be a fine veteran option/bridge QB.  If Douglas really doesn't like Winston, however, there are other options.  Tyrod Taylor, Andy Dalton and Ryan Fitzpatrick are among the other options scheduled to hit free agency.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, rangerous said:

not so sure rt is the critical need for the oline.  i think it's the interior.  this is where clark really starts coming into play.  wasn't he a tackle in college?  maybe he's being groomed to replace fant.

Seems like they want him to battle for a G spot. Believe many teams projected him as a G leading into draft.

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

With what money?  They're currently over the projected cap. 

Khalil Mack ($26.6M), Kyle Fuller ($20M), Robert Quinn ($14.7M), Akiem Hicks ($12M), Eddie Jackson ($11.5M) Charles Leno ($11.3M), Jimmy Graham ($10M), Cody Whitehair ($9.6M) and Bobby Massie ($9.3M) all have substantial cap figures in 2021.  Because their roster is so top-heavy in cap usage, they'd have to cut a LOT of people to make room for Robinson.

The only easily cuttable players on the above list would be Hicks and Graham, who would save $10.5M and $7M in cap space, respectively, with minimal dead cap hits.  That's not enough to bring back Robinson AND address other needs AND sign their draft picks.  Robinson wants a contract that will exceed the $20M per year that Keenan Allen got over 4 years.

Teams that want to keep their best players find ways to keep their best players.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Teams that want to keep their best players find ways to keep their best players.

And I'm telling you that they don't have a path to make this work.  Did you look at what I wrote?  They.  Don't.  Have.  Space.  They already paid a lot of their "best players" handsomely.  Most notably Mack and Kyle Fuller.

If they wanted Robinson back at the heavy price he's looking for, they would have paid him already.  Having failed to do so to this point, their only options are the franchise tag (at which point they'd have to cut/trade a TON of people) or letting him walk.  He's not getting a new contract with the Bears.  He'd have to accept a discount rate and that isn't happening.

3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Douglas got his guy.  He exudes CEO vibes and is quite charismatic.  That helps with ‘recruiting’ free agents.  Saleh won’t be Gaze and forget about one side of the ball.  My choice and guess on free agents are as follows:

• WR: Juju Smith-Schuster, WR
  • Joe Thuney, G
  • Corey Linsley, C
  • Leonard Floyd, Edge
  • MacKensie Alexander, CB

With two free agent OL signings I don’t think Douglas will draft an OL until round three or later.  I do think Douglas will try to trade out of #2 but he just won’t get the kind of haul some posters are dreaming about.  Going down to #9 with the Panthers it would be reasonable to get their second (#39) this year and next year.  That could land us:

• #9:  Kyle Pitts, TE
  • #23 Tyson Campbell, CB
  • # 34 Kadarius Toney, WR
  • # 39 Jaelen Phillips, Edge

Those nine players could make quite a difference to the team next year.

For the posters who want to respond, “No way in hell is he there at #XX!!!”.  Just don’t.

If Jets to give up a top ranked QB at #2 to go down to 9 with Panthers, in addition to the 2 numbers 2's we should not do that deal unless it would also include their RB Maccfrey. Getting a QB in the top 2 has to pay a high price.

3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

I wouldn’t hate trading #23 to the Cowboys for #44 (and another late rounder) and Michael Gallop whose cap hit is $1.2mm this year.

Michael Gallup is one of the best kept secrets in the league. He may not be as physically gifted as Amari Cooper but I think you get a better consistent product out of MG over 4 quarters. 

he’s worth trading for.  

gallup>>Robinson all day

FA game is a lot tougher than the draft.  FA's have a lot on their minds besides the $.  If it's all about the $ you end up with Leveon Bell.  Ugh.

Some of the best are looking to go out a winner, so they bend their contract needs to be with a contender.  That's not the Jets.

I think we are going to do fine.  I think we will pass the sniff test in terms of the front office and coaching staff.  But it's still going to be a slog in the trenches for another year or 2.  So the win now set will turn down our offers.  JD needs to set his contract timetable so that he is in strong position to sign top tier fa's in 2023.

Not what we want to hear, but I think it's the case.

5 hours ago, Jethead said:

Trey Hendrickson is a free agent. Saints in real cap jam. Merits strong look.

New Orleans got:

Marshon Lattimore

Ryan Ramcyzk

Marcus Williams

Alvin Kamara

Alex Anzalone

Trey Hendrickson

all in  the same draft, just amazing essentially rebuilt their team with one draft.

Joe Douglas recruited Robert Saleh. 

Now both of these guys will recruit free agents.

I love our chances with the guys they target. 

Guys getting a call from these 2 will be a compliment. Come help us turn this soft team into a kick azz tough football team.