Dan Orlovsky interview just now on ESPN. "This isn't just a good match, it's the perfect fit for Sam Darnold"

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quick interview just now on ESPN with Greeny and Orlovsky.   On why Saleh is a great coach and fit for the Jets... 1) Excellent listener.  Too many coaches talk at players.  He listens.

As frustrated as I was this year, and I know all of you were as well, I don't think it's time to give up on a 23 year old QB with experience under horrific conditions. New regime, new Sam, put somethi

Maybe Darnold isn't ruined... Maybe he just needs a little love and attention...  

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

That’s the gamble. I’m all in on the Zach Wilson bandwagon, but hypothetically if that gamble worked it would be huge. 

If the Jets drafted Wilson, or for that matter, Fields I wouldn't have a problem keeping Darnold.    Going into next season with Darnold as the only realistic QB, even with an improved team, is a good formula for 6-10 -8-8 for the foreseeable future.  

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Saleh is so fiery.  Darnold is very flat.  Saleh seems to enjoy what he does.  Darnold doesn't.

Either Saleh's energy will be a positive infuence on Darnold, or it might not be a good match if Darnold maintains his current dimeanor.

Would you enjoy playing QB on a borderline talentless Offense under Todd Bowles and Adam Gase?

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

Bringing back darnold gives us 2 things;

1- Ability to trade down and accumulate more picks this year.

2- Guarantees will we not be good again next year meaning more high draft picks in next years draft.

If a slow and patient rebuild is what douglas wants to do, bringing darnold back is not the worst idea.  

• Upvote 3
12 minutes ago, Pac said:

Sorry bub you were wrong.. again..

Get behind Sam because hes getting a chance with a real coach and better players.

As I've been trying to tell you for 3 months.

Just like you were right about Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith, right?

I mean the best case scenario in the world is that we already have our QB in Sam Darnold and can use this tremendous draft and salary capital to build around him i.e. don't have to give up  huge assets to find another QB. 

• Upvote 3
Just now, jetstream23 said:

The Draft is coming.  OT Slater and RB Najee Harris wouldn't be a bad start.

Point is, Henry is a once in a generation type back and even then, he cant carry tannehill in the playoffs because he gets hyper focused on and tannehill isnt able to do anything with henry shut down.

If darnolds peak would be tannehill, it still isnt good enough for a SB.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
58 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

I can see them rolling with Sam and grabbing Beatherd or Mullins from SF for a 6th rd pick. If not, then grabbing a west coast QB vet to compete with Darnold.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Beathard is a UFA. Mullins is a RFA so you don't really get to choose the compensation. He was undrafted, and I can't see him getting a 1st round tag, so it'll either be a 2nd rounder or nothing, with SF having the opportunity to match.

Regardless, those are guys you bring in if you draft a QB at #2 overall (whom you envision starting by no later than week 5), or if you already have an unquestioned veteran starter who's earned having no serious competition. Those guys are backups you hope you don't need to start for more than 2-3 weeks, not someone to credibly compete for the starting job all season long. 

If the QB room looks like Darnold - Beathard (or Mullins) - Morgan, then the week 1 QB by default is Darnold and it'll stay that way until his annual injury or benching.

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I mean the best case scenario in the world is that we already have our QB in Sam Darnold and can use this tremendous draft and salary capital to build around him i.e. don't have to give up  huge assets to find another QB. 

It would also be a best case scenario for all the lakes, rivers, and oceans to turn to chocolate.  These two scenarios are about equally likely.  

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Lurker89 said:

It's gonna be hard to get behind another season of Sam ....  I like Sam but he looked so broken this year.

A crappy environment will do that to a 23 year old young man living across the country who has had sh*t for coaching and inferior talent around him, all the while knowing that the rabid fan base that wants success NOW because it has suffered for so long has lost faith in you.  You know, the same guy that basically had a statue built for him because he was the saviour just three years earlier?

Yeay, I can't understand why a 23-year old chill California kid would look so broken.....

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Dan Orlovsky is a prominent Sam Darnold apologist.

Based on those comments, sounds like Darnold’s people speak to Orlovsky a bit. To ask him where he should go if the Jets move on from him is a big ask. He probably refrains from saying anything bad to maintain these relationships.

With that said, I don’t doubt he believes the Shanaham systems is ideal for Sam. And whether he stays or goes is up to Saleh and Joe D.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Just like you were right about Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith, right?

I forget what it is I supposedly said about them.

In reality what I said is the same as what I'm now saying about Darnold.  You can't completely judge a qb given such little to work with.  JD started last year with Becton and Mims..  between FA and the draft we are about to get an influx of talent to pair with competent offensive coaching. 

If Sam doesn't make a pretty significant leap next year then dump his ass and get a QB in 22' with what could very well be 3 1st rounders.

That is the much less risky proposition than drafting a fragile trust fund baby who will have hissy fits when pressed by the NY media.

Any speculation or rumors from the media on Sam staying are competely useless. We will not know the Jets plan, and anyone that says he does is full of it like Schefter until

1. He is traded

2. We skip QB in RD1

If the Jets plan is to draft Wilson they will talk up Darnold every chance they get to raise trade value.

I mean what would we get if Saleh or JD said, our plan is to draft a new QB

Remember even with KKs previous statement they denied picking QB and called Rosen the starter right up to the draft

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
8 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

A crappy environment will do that to a 23 year old young man living across the country who has had sh*t for coaching and inferior talent around him, all the while knowing that the rabid fan base that wants success NOW because it has suffered for so long has lost faith in you.  You know, the same guy that basically had a statue built for him because he was the saviour just three years earlier?

Yeay, I can't understand why a 23-year old chill California kid would look so broken.....

Paid millions to do so cry me a River 

image.jpeg.db9310b9249329caad556ecf83bb5f28.jpeg

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I can't be the only one that is extremely disappointed this moment has already shifted to being about Darnold both on this board and in the media.

The excitement for the hire is already overshadowed by the QB discussion.  Bums me out.  Not blaming anyone or saying it doesn't deserve threads etc, but the good feeling of the hire lasted about 2 hours before it turned.

It’s the tv media’s job to speculate and espn is gonna try to throw some hot takes around bc that’s what they do.  I appreciate this thread and the one talking about Schefter’s comments though bc I think they’re newsworthy. 
But to your point regarding this board, I wholeheartedly agree.  I think maybe it took to page 5-6 of the Saleh got hired thread for ppl to start complaining what this might mean for bringing back Sam.  This is a happy moment and hopefully a turning point for the organization, but many folks can’t turn off the hate for the QB, and it’s disappointing.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Lurker89 said:

Agreed the only way I really think he should be here next year is if it is in open competition with the #2 pick and Morgan.

No one should be handed the job. Sam needs to have some fight in him.... You don't see much moxy from him these days. Honestly every time I see Sam speak I see Mark Sanchez ...

Same demeanor as Mark saying all of the technically correct things, holding himself accountable while simultaneously seeming like he's never going to do anything to change it.

I see a lot of Sanchez in Sam too. 

Entitled demeanor, repeating the same mistakes, bad reads, coaches shrinking the play book, coaches calling conservative plays so the QB doesn't vomit the lead, and if you fall behind early, the game snowballs to a blowout.

Sam's stats in his wins are very similar to Sanchez's.  Like 20-30 throws.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
6 minutes ago, Pac said:

In reality what I said is the same as what I'm now saying about Darnold.  You can't completely judge a qb given such little to work with.  JD started last year with Becton and Mims..  between FA and the draft we are about to get an influx of talent to pair with competent offensive coaching. 

If Sam doesn't make a pretty significant leap next year then dump his ass and get a QB in 22' with what could very well be 3 1st rounders.

That is the much less risky proposition than drafting a fragile trust fund baby who will have hissy fits when pressed by the NY media.

Darnold has put nothing on tape to show me that he is the answer for the Jets at QB. His best stretch of play was the final month of his rookie season. That's when he looked like the real deal. Since the Patriots disaster last year on Monday night, he's never resembled a good QB outside of a game here and a game there. Never any consistent play where he turned the corner. 

If the Jets weren't picking 2nd overall, I think you can make an argument for giving Sam 1 more year under a 3rd coaching staff. But given where the Jets are picking, a GM who didn't draft him, and a HC who has no connection to him, I think it's time to move on.

• Upvote 3
Just now, dcJet said:

I see a lot of Sanchez in Sam too. 

Entitled demeanor, repeating the same mistakes, bad reads, coaches shrinking the play book, coaches calling conservative plays so the QB doesn't vomit the lead, and if you fall behind early, the game snowballs to a blowout.

Sam's stats in his wins are very similar to Sanchez's.  Like 20-30 throws.

exactly.  both have terribly slow processing chips in their brains and myopic field vision too.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Darnold has put nothing on tape to show me that he is the answer for the Jets at QB. His best stretch of play was the final month of his rookie season. That's when he looked like the real deal. Since the Patriots disaster last year on Monday night, he's never resembled a good QB outside of a game here and a game there. Never any consistent play where he turned the corner. 

If the Jets weren't picking 2nd overall, I think you can make an argument for giving Sam 1 more year under a 3rd coaching staff. But given where the Jets are picking, a GM who didn't draft him, and a HC who has no connection to him, I think it's time to move on.

Fair points but it looks like JD, Saleh, and Lafleur are going to disagree.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Beathard is a UFA. Mullins is a RFA so you don't really get to choose the compensation. He was undrafted, and I can't see him getting a 1st round tag, so it'll either be a 2nd rounder or nothing, with SF having the opportunity to match.

Regardless, those are guys you bring in if you draft a QB at #2 overall (whom you envision starting by no later than week 5), or if you already have an unquestioned veteran starter who's earned having no serious competition. Those guys are backups you hope you don't need to start for more than 2-3 weeks, not someone to credibly compete for the starting job all season long. 

If the QB room looks like Darnold - Beathard (or Mullins) - Morgan, then the week 1 QB by default is Darnold and it'll stay that way until his annual injury or benching.

If that's the group coming into camp, Morgan is your starter.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I mean, your dear Ol’ Ape has been saying this for 3 years.

What remains to be seen now is if Sam can be untrained in all the bad coaching, mechanical tendencies and mental mush-mosh he’s developed. 

I don't have much confidence it works, but what I do know is that the Jets can't Dowell Loggains him again. Get a real ******* QB coach. Get an offensive quality control guy.

21 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I agree that's the best case scenario but unlikely to happen.  

We might not be giving up huge assets to find another QB.  If there's no trade offer, we give up just one asset - Sewell to swing at a QB.

If we get a significant trade offer however,  that's different math altogether.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

exactly.  both have terribly slow processing chips in their brains and myopic field vision too.

Yep and also, both Sanchez and Sam are streaky (inconsistent) , they can flash for a month.

9 minutes ago, Pac said:

Fair points but it looks like JD, Saleh, and Lafleur are going to disagree.

How does it look that way?

Because some talking heads are creating hot topics?  They don't get fired if they are wrong, Douglas does.

I watched Sam Darnold in the Rose Bowl and was wowed!  I kept trying catch more USC games and never really saw anything great from Sam again.  I never really thought he’d become a Jet but was happy when they drafted him.  
Obviously, I never saw him fulfill his potential and wasn’t sure if he just fooled me with one great performance or he was just Jetified.  

Now all this talk about fixing him.  I don’t expect anything.  Just gonna wait and see what happens.  
I really like Saleh, though.  Good hire!!

• Upvote 3
25 minutes ago, Pac said:

What you "supposedly said".  Lmao.  For years you defended those 2, even after they'd left the Jets.  It's amazing the things you choose to forget.

The point is this:  If the surrounding circumstances were the biggest problems for Sanchez and Geno Smith, why didn't they succeed elsewhere, as you predicted they would do so?

And that argument fails further with Darnold, because 35-year old, wishing he'd retired Joe Flacco had a 6/3 TD:INT ratio under center in the same set of circumstances.  For the most part, he looked competent.  Darnold did not.

Sam Darnold sucks.