Dan Orlovsky interview just now on ESPN. "This isn't just a good match, it's the perfect fit for Sam Darnold"

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

How does it look that way?

Because some talking heads are creating hot topics?  They don't get fired if they are wrong, Douglas does.

Hey believe what you want..  this doesn't look like a complicated puzzle to me.

If I'm wrong ill blame Mogglez 

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Any speculation or rumors from the media on Sam staying are competely useless. We will not know the Jets plan, and anyone that says he does is full of it like Schefter until

1. He is traded

2. We skip QB in RD1

If the Jets plan is to draft Wilson they will talk up Darnold every chance they get to raise trade value.

I mean what would we get if Saleh or JD said, our plan is to draft a new QB

Remember even with KKs previous statement they denied picking QB and called Rosen the starter right up to the draft

Apparently you are not understanding something here.

There are guys in the journalistic world who have cred.....Like, real cred.  Not Incarcerated Bob, but REAL cred.  Adam Schefter is one of them.  If he says its a possibility, its a possibility.  

Journalists are not the actual people making the decisions for the team....we know that!  So, of COURSE they could be wrong.  But if Adam Schefter is saying it is possible, it is.  Not because he said it, but rather he knows someone working for the Jets who is privy to the right conversations who said it is being discussed.

11 minutes ago, Pac said:

Hey believe what you want..  this doesn't look like a complicated puzzle to me.

If I'm wrong ill blame Mogglez 

LOL

Yeah @Mogglez nailed this whole thing.  First the Saleh prediction, then he said the Jets have offered Saleh a contract, which looked wrong when Saleh walked out, then he came back and hesitantly said his person said it was far from over.  If I were him I'd be running victory laps. lol

The one thing he said about Darnold coming back really scared me.  I'm hoping it's water cooler talk in the building planted by Joe to throw people off.

It really sounds like the Jets' FO are a bunch of chatter Box's lol

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

You all saying “We trust in JD”

All signs are pointing to JD giving Darnold another shot next year 

Like others have said it’s still a bit early to tell what they will do I’m sure they are t decided at this point.  I do think Douglas has said that They didn’t do nearly enough to help Sam which is true.  When you look at the bills,Braves,chiefs they all have tons of talent and great coaching.  Whereas the Jets have had easily the worst roster and coaching these past few years 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Saleh is so fiery.  Darnold is very flat.  Saleh seems to enjoy what he does.  Darnold doesn't.

Either Saleh's energy will be a positive infuence on Darnold, or it might not be a good match if Darnold maintains his current dimeanor.

To be fair, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who would enjoy being the quarterback of the NY Jets the past 2 seasons.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I for one will not be surprised if Darnold does well with a different coaching staff. The previous CS was obviously incompetent.

How great would it be for the Jets if they're able to trade down, pick up a bunch of draft capital, build the team and then find out they actually do have a good QB?

That's not to say Darnold has looked good here, he hasn't. Coaching matters.

Worst case, they have a better landing spot for some other QB.

Absolutely.  Look I respect others opinions  who want to take a QB and start over.  I get it and I’m on board with it if HD wants to go down that route.  But I don’t buy this theory that Sam sucks with or without talent or decent coaching going around him

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Saleh is so fiery.  Darnold is very flat.  Saleh seems to enjoy what he does.  Darnold doesn't.

Either Saleh's energy will be a positive infuence on Darnold, or it might not be a good match if Darnold maintains his current dimeanor.

Always with Pros and cons it also has to be considered Darnold's impending contract situation and if Jets wait even for 1 year if not 2 we would have lost the chance to get either Fields or Wilson now and have to likely trade a good amount of draft assets in just a short time of a year or 2 to get up to pick a blue chip QB prospect. JD and Saleh really have to be sure/certain the new offense and working with Sam can fix him like 97% sure or best to move on now since the only cost really is if he lights it up somewhere else. 

Comparing Sam to Josh Rosen, Josh Rosen really never looked good as a pro.

Sam wobbled as a rookie but was much better when he came back from his injury.  He struggled to return from mono and looked better down the stretch in 2019.   In 2020, he was a mess with a bad coach and a bad team.

I just don't see the Johnsons wanting to give up on their investment.  I could even see him getting the 5th year option.  

I don't see the Jets investing the 2 pick on Wilson either.  Maybe 10.  They are not drafting Fields with a Shanahan system.

I could see JD trading down more.  Building the team, and giving Darnold another chance.

Its less than 50/50 it works. 

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

And if Darnold continues doing what he's been doing for 3 years, then what?  Yeah I know just go get a franchise QB while picking #12 in the draft

Sure. Great QBs are picked in the middle and late first rounds as often as they picked in the Top 5. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I get the skepticism about Darnold. He probably isn't the guy.

But Sam has had one of the worst rosters I can remember as a Jets fan. Jamison Crowder is our best player. Was Darnold supposed to play like A Rodge in year 5 with this crew of flunkies? 

No.  He wasn't supposed to play like Aaron Rodgers.  But, it would have been good if he didn't play like the worst QB in the NFL.  There are options between best and worst.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

You all saying “We trust in JD”

All signs are pointing to JD giving Darnold another shot next year 

THAT really is the thing.

If you don't like Darnold but you like JD, then who does that person change his mind about if JD keeps Sam?

"I like JD and he kept Darnold so I think Darnold does deserve a chance here and can possibly turn it around" or do they say, "Darnold is a horrible QB and JD kept him so obviously I was wrong about JD"?

Put it this way, JD has had a front row seat to Sam Darnold for two full seasons now.  He KNOWS Darnold from a self-scouting standpoint better than anyone.  If JD decides that even with Wilson and Fields on the board, and with Sam's approaching cost increase that he wants to keep Sam I'd have to think that it's a well-informed decision.  Doesn't mean it's the right decision but it will be one based on careful consideration, that's for sure.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No system or coach can help a QB who misses open receivers, is a slow processor, is a bit weak-minded, and is injury prone.  

Regardless of who we were going to hire at HC, Darnold was never going to be the answer.  And I'll question Saleh's judgment if he doesn't see that very quickly.  Darnold already contributed to getting some people fired here.  How many more people want to join that list?

The book was written on Sam Darnold when he stood there with his thumb up his ass at the combine while Mayfield, Allen, and Rosen all threw.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Morrissey said:

12 months from tom we'll be thinking about drafting a QB in middle of next years draft and wondering how much it would cost to trade up trade up.

You can keep Darnold and draft a QB this year. There is zero trade market for Darnold so it makes since to let him try to win the job with a draft pick. If he wins it and resurrects his career he can be traded or the drafted QB can be developed and traded.  We are in a great position.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, DJF71 said:

You can keep Darnold and draft a QB this year. There is zero trade market for Darnold so it makes since to let him try to win the job with a draft pick. If he wins it and resurrects his career he can be traded or the drafted QB can be developed and traded.  We are in a great position.

I love this thinking

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

Comparing Sam to Josh Rosen, Josh Rosen really never looked good as a pro.

Sam wobbled as a rookie but was much better when he came back from his injury.  He struggled to return from mono and looked better down the stretch in 2019.   In 2020, he was a mess with a bad coach and a bad team.

I just don't see the Johnsons wanting to give up on their investment.  I could even see him getting the 5th year option.  

I don't see the Jets investing the 2 pick on Wilson either.  Maybe 10.  They are not drafting Fields with a Shanahan system.

I could see JD trading down more.  Building the team, and giving Darnold another chance.

Its less than 50/50 it works. 

That begs yet another question. Do we know for a fact what system Lafleur will want to run. Everyone assumes because he was part of the Shanahan tree he will want to run his system. Maybe Lafleur wants to run his own system and not be labeled a Shanahan guy. Often times guys will take pieces of what they learn and add in their own twists. Saying Fields won't fit in Shanahan's system doesn't necessarily mean he won't fit in Lafleur's system.

I look at Joe Brady who took pieces of what he learned under Payton and Franklin at Penn St and morphed them into the concepts he used at LSU and Carolina.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I can't be the only one that is extremely disappointed this moment has already shifted to being about Darnold both on this board and in the media.

The excitement for the hire is already overshadowed by the QB discussion.  Bums me out.  Not blaming anyone or saying it doesn't deserve threads etc, but the good feeling of the hire lasted about 2 hours before it turned.

Speaks to the fact that despite many wanting to believe Gase was the biggest problem on the team, it's obvious who that is.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

No.  He wasn't supposed to play like Aaron Rodgers.  But, it would have been good if he didn't play like the worst QB in the NFL.  There are options between best and worst.

It would've been cool if he wasn't playing with the worst roster in the league and for two terrible head coaches.

But I can't argue that the dude clearly regressed this year, and he might genuinely be finished in this league. 

Just now, DetroitRed said:

The early indications are the new coach wants to keep Sam.  I love that , especially if we aren’t getting better than a third for him.  You can still get a Qb, and have a competition 

If Jets keep him, I don't see how they don't bring in competition. And I'm not talking about Mark Burnell, Joe Flacco, Josh McCown.

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Darnold has put nothing on tape to show me that he is the answer for the Jets at QB. His best stretch of play was the final month of his rookie season. That's when he looked like the real deal. Since the Patriots disaster last year on Monday night, he's never resembled a good QB outside of a game here and a game there. Never any consistent play where he turned the corner. 

If the Jets weren't picking 2nd overall, I think you can make an argument for giving Sam 1 more year under a 3rd coaching staff. But given where the Jets are picking, a GM who didn't draft him, and a HC who has no connection to him, I think it's time to move on.

People should really watch his full final month of his rookie year.  Not just two games of it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Please see Baker Mayfield vs Jets when his team was decimated for reference as to what Sam has had to play with here. I want to move on as well from him but let’s not pretend for a minute that players like Josh Allen or Mayfield would be much better had they landed here under these circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate your honesty!!

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

It would've been cool if he wasn't playing with the worst roster in the league and for two terrible head coaches.

But I can't argue that the dude clearly regressed this year, and he might genuinely be finished in this league. 

He's a big part of the reason it's the worst roster in the NFL.  League average QB play, and we were a 5-7 win team.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Well Sam left so much to be desired, this season especially was terrible. If these guys think they can fix him all I will say is I will be rooting for them to be right. Turning things around gets a lot easier if they could pull this off.

that's pretty much the point.  much as there's a whole lot of clamor to replace darnold with a rookie it's hard to overlook the three years of nfl experience that darnold should have gotten.  maybe if the drafted qb was generational talent you can make the argument to launch darnold (and that still might happen) but that's tough to evaluate until training camp.   imo what they need to do is not simply hand the job to darnold..  get some competition in there.

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

smh

• Haha 2