Why Is This Hiring Different From All Other Hirings?

BettyBoop

20 hours ago, section314 said:

Because we finally allowed the GM, who is a football guy, who has numerous contacts and relationships in the league, and is highly respected in league circles, make the most important decision a team has to make. 

I agree but that truly is the only difference.  Todd Bowles was once the hot up and coming in demand coordinator too....all the same pros and cons basically.  That said, JD never met Saleh before this meeting so I dont think JD's reputation and circle had any impact on the hire.  Which is strange but I guess also somewhat commendable since he didnt just go with a relationship.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

I agree but that truly is the only difference.  Todd Bowles was once the hot up and coming in demand coordinator too....all the same pros and cons basically.  That said, JD never met Saleh before this meeting so I dont think JD's reputation and circle had any impact on the hire.  Which is strange but I guess also somewhat commendable since he didnt just go with a relationship.

Maybe, but you could also argue that Saleh, who by all accounts was high on everyone's radar, did his research on JD through his contacts throughout the league, probably John Lynch included, and was impressed enough to want to pursue the Jets. The bigger picture, though, is that ownership finally allowed a football guy to hire the coach.      P.S......I don't think it's a coincidence that about 10 seconds after we hired Saleh, the Falcons hired Arthur Smith.?

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

We’ve all been down this road before.  Old coach out/new coach in.  Not sure which one of those actually made us happier.  Let’s face it, with the exception of Gaze all of the new head coaches in the past had us all giddy at their introduction presser.  Bowles looked like the no-nonsense polar opposite of Rex.  Rex brought life into the program after Mangini, who appeared to be on his own little island for two years. Mangini was going to turn us into the Patriots after Herm lost his appeal.  And then there was Gaze.  Let’s admit it, we all looked at that introduction press conference and were wondering what the hell was happening.

So why is this hiring different from all other hirings.  It’s because all of the previous coaches were selected by the gut of the Johnson brothers.  While there were a few folks whispering in their ear(s), the final decision was what Fredo and Woody thought was best.  They were borne out of Fredo or Woody’s “vision” of the team.  And once the decision was made, the ear whisperers were like cockroaches when the light turned on.  Nowhere to be found.  The vision was left to Fredo to carry out.  As a result, 2-14 and a laughing stock.

This time we have a football guy making the call.  A seasoned NFLer who indeed has a plausible plan and will be here to see it through.  Thanks for your help Fredo, now you can go back to sea and leave the rest to the guy.

Reading the title of this gave me flash backs to my families  last Passover Sedaris. 

19 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

The antithesis of what the previous guy was.

Personnel changes, across various industries, are always insanely reactive. 

It makes me very hopeful for Saleh ... I can't think of a single thing Gase did well, so if we get the opposite of that, we're in a good place!!

The best analogy I gave for this coach hire is when a kid is learning to drive. If you’re near the left edge of the lane steer hard right. If you’re on the right side, steer hard left. Both are mistakes. The correct action is to steer toward the lane far ahead and not the dashed line immediately to your left or right.

Eisen’s summary is spot on that we’ve suffered through decades of reactionary hires based on where we are rather than where we’re going. Several indicators point toward a longer term vision coming from our front office presently.

First JD is on a pretty long term contract for a first time GM. While none of us know how the deal was reached it is plausible that this reflects a mindset focused on the longer term.

The recent choices in free agency seem to reflect longer term vision as we’ve not tied up huge fractions of money on players and have significant number of positions locked in.

Third, the recent fire sale indicates that we’re more focused on an unrestricted path forward than on where we are now.

The result of all this is that we have tremendous flexibility in choosing our direction because we’re untethered from where we are now as the driving concern.

The simple fact the we pulled a coach from the defense side of the game indicates that we’re not being completely driven by where we are.

While the front office mindset must remain pure speculation on the part of us fans, we can demonstrate that the known facts taken as a whole are consistent with what one would expect from a stable well-run organization with a clear long term vision. THAT is why the coach hire makes me excited: it appears by all measures to be the logical step for a well run organization. This makes it very different from the most recent coaching hires.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app