Jump to content

Article linking LeFluer and Zack Wilson to Jets


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"It’s an offensive system that relies on play-action with Jimmy Garoppolo using it on 32.3% of his drop-backs in 2020."   This is the thing I don't understand about people saying Darnold wil

This is a fan blog With the Jets implementing a Shanahan offense that fits Darnold like a glove, I’m not sure why so many are downright pissed about potentially giving him another shot. The

Play action doesn’t work when you are constantly handing the ball to a 40 year old Frank Gore

Posted Images

Rumour: Saleh Will Hire Mike LaFleur as OC

By David Wyatt  Jan 15, 2021, 4:01am EST 
 

Green Bay Packers v San Francisco 49erPhoto by Michael Zagaris/San Francisco 49ers/Getty Images

Following the news last night that the Jets had hired 49’ers DC Robert Saleh as their new head coach, it was rumoured that the Jets were sold on his leadership, and the staff he was planning to bring with him.

One of the names has been revealed. According to multiple NFL insiders, Saleh will bring 49’ers passing game coordinator Mike LaFleur, brother of Packers head coach Matt LaFleur to New York as his offensive coordinator.

Mike LaFleur comes with an outstanding reputation as an offensive mind and having worked under Kyle Shanahan, he’ll likely bring with him a similar offense.

In his first year as passing game coordinator in 2019, the 49’ers ranked eight in pass offense DVOA and even with Nick Mullens under centre for the majority of 2020 the 49’ers still ranked 12th in passing yards per game with over 250.

If you think about the Shanahan offense, you think of two things. Speed and space. He also prefers lineman who are a little lighter and move horizontally with ease. I would expect the Jets to get a lot quicker on offense over the coming year.

 

It’s an offensive system that relies on play-action with Jimmy Garoppolo using it on 32.3% of his drop-backs in 2020.

Some commentators like Dane Bruglar have already started to suggest what this could mean for the Jets at the #2 draft position suggesting that Zach Wilson would be a very interesting match with LaFleur.

This could be for a number of reasons. Firstly Shanahan prefers the outside-zone running scheme, which is the exact same system that was run at BYU under Jeff Grimes. Running that system from under centre is preferable, so if you have a QB who’s already used to it, even better.

It could also be because Wilson used play-action last year on 38% of his drop-backs and was highly efficient when doing so. Anyway, that’s a discussion for a different day, but it’s interesting to start thinking about.

Personally I love the Saleh hire, and I love the idea of Mike LaFleur running a Shanahan style offense in New York.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, flgreen said:

"It’s an offensive system that relies on play-action with Jimmy Garoppolo using it on 32.3% of his drop-backs in 2020."

 

This is the thing I don't understand about people saying Darnold will be a good fit in the Shanahan O.  IMO Darnold is horrible at play action.  Just don't get it.

They’re drafting a QB

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

"It’s an offensive system that relies on play-action with Jimmy Garoppolo using it on 32.3% of his drop-backs in 2020."

 

This is the thing I don't understand about people saying Darnold will be a good fit in the Shanahan O.  IMO Darnold is horrible at play action.  Just don't get it.

Lol. The Jets We're 29 in the league in play action passing. Gase never did it. It's not his system. One of a half dozen reasons why Darnold got the short end of the stick with the Gase hire

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, static14 said:

They’re drafting a QB

Especially considering Jimmy G is being run out of town, Robert freshly removed from that situation, comes to coach a worst QB? Highly doubt it 

Then when you add this morning on GMFB, Pete basically saying other coaching candidates wanted to move on from Darnold. I think it’s clear what’s happening but just like Rosen a few years ago, we won’t know until draft day 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

My feelings may change in time, and with more knowledge of course, but drafting Wilson at #2 feels like a major reach. 

Not impressed with Wilson at all from what I've seen, read and heard so far.  

Note:  For anyone planning to respond, remember, just because small school played-nobodies QB X might have worked out in the NFL, doesn't mean Wilson will work out in the NFL.  If you want to bash me, fine, but do it without this tired old "But X was good, so Wilson will be good" trope.

 

🤣🤣🤣

LMAO

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

My feelings may change in time, and with more knowledge of course, but drafting Wilson at #2 feels like a major reach. 

Not impressed with Wilson at all from what I've seen, read and heard so far.  

Note:  For anyone planning to respond, remember, just because small school played-nobodies QB X might have worked out in the NFL, doesn't mean Wilson will work out in the NFL.  If you want to bash me, fine, but do it without this tired old "But X was good, so Wilson will be good" trope.

 

San Darnold was a top 5 pick. Compared to Darnold, Wilson has a stronger arm, is more accurate and more athletic. Darnold has the better frame. I’m not sure how good Wilson will be, but he’s definitely a top 5 pick. You can compare his traits to other top 5 picks and he’s right there with them.

Agsin not sure he’s the right pick. A lot of that will depend on his character which I have no way of knowing. But he’s not a reach in the top 5.

I mean compare his traits to Lawrence and see how far apart those two are. Arm strength is equal, Wilson has better accuracy, Wilson looks more mobile (tbd on those combine numbers), but Lawrence has the better frame. By all accounts Lawrence is a great leader and there are rumblings Wilson might be a douchebag. If true, I’d pass on Wilson. But again his traits are high end. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, genot said:

Lol. The Jets We're 29 in the league in play action passing. Gase never did it. It's not his system. One of a half dozen reasons why Darnold got the short end of the stick with the Gase hire

In 2018 The Jets were 10th in the league in PA passing, 26%.  Darnold sucked at it. At USC Darnold also was terrible at PA.  In 2018 Miami PA 23%.    Gase didn't call PA with the Jets because Darnold was horrible at it

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

This is a fan blog

With the Jets implementing a Shanahan offense that fits Darnold like a glove, I’m not sure why so many are downright pissed about potentially giving him another shot.

The Jets could move down for a haul in exchange for #2.

What if the Jets, just in the 1st round, could walk away with a Smith/Harris/Rousseau trio?

Give Darnold a supporting cast like this with LaFleur calling the plays and he could very well transform into the player we drafted him to be.

 

QB Sam Darnold 

 

RB Najee Harris

 

WR DeVonta Smith

WR Denzel Mims

WR Jamison Crowder

 

TE Zach Ertz

 

LT Mekhi Becton

LG Joe Thuney

C Corey Linsley

RG Connor McGovern

RT George Fant

 

Yes because we should all be happy our bottom tier qb has a system that fits him and not the fact a potential upgrade QB is staring at us at 2 🙄

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

In 2018 The Jets were 10th in the league in PA passing, 26%.  Darnold sucked at it.  At USC Darnold also was terrible at PA.

 

You have to run the ball. Jet's couldn't. Is that Darnolds fault too. All i hear is Darnold sucks, Darnold can't do this, or do that. Those no nothings are going to bring back a QB who can't play.  Or they're going to trade him to the. Half a dozen organizations who are too stupid to see what people here see. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This is a fan blog

With the Jets implementing a Shanahan offense that fits Darnold like a glove, I’m not sure why so many are downright pissed about potentially giving him another shot.

The Jets could move down for a haul in exchange for #2.

What if the Jets, just in the 1st round, could walk away with a Smith/Harris/Rousseau trio?

Give Darnold a supporting cast like this with LaFleur calling the plays and he could very well transform into the player we drafted him to be.

 

QB Sam Darnold 

 

RB Najee Harris

 

WR DeVonta Smith

WR Denzel Mims

WR Jamison Crowder

 

TE Zach Ertz

 

LT Mekhi Becton

LG Joe Thuney

C Corey Linsley

RG Connor McGovern

RT George Fant

 

I'm good either way, but if you read the previous posts, it looks like the system is more tailored to Zach Wilson than Darnold. If Darnold was good in play action, don't you think he would have lobbied for it? I agree with the players you plugged in - would be very happy with that. I think Chase is better than Smith and will be the first receiver off the board. He's bigger and stronger, just as fast, and had the same Championship game showing as Smith. He just didn't play this year due to Covid19. Smith's body type scares me a bit. I could see him being out of a lot of games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

San Darnold was a top 5 pick. Compared to Darnold, Wilson has a stronger arm, is more accurate and more athletic. Darnold has the better frame. I’m not sure how good Wilson will be, but he’s definitely a top 5 pick. You can compare his traits to other top 5 picks and he’s right there with them.

Agsin not sure he’s the right pick. A lot of that will depend on his character which I have no way of knowing. But he’s not a reach in the top 5.

I mean compare his traits to Lawrence and see how far apart those two are. Arm strength is equal, Wilson has better accuracy, Wilson looks more mobile (tbd on those combine numbers), but Lawrence has the better frame. By all accounts Lawrence is a great leader and there are rumblings Wilson might be a douchebag. If true, I’d pass on Wilson. But again his traits are high end. 

The best team Wilson played was Coastal Carolina. Give me a break. Has also had his shoulder operated on twice. Move on people. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, genot said:

The best team Wilson played was Coastal Carolina. Give me a break. Has also had his shoulder operated on twice.

Which is why I think he makes it to 23

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, genot said:

The best team Wilson played was Coastal Carolina. Give me a break. Has also had his shoulder operated on twice. Move on people. 

This is why I don't  want Wilson but if we run an O he will succeed in, there is no denying the arm talent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, flgreen said:

"It’s an offensive system that relies on play-action with Jimmy Garoppolo using it on 32.3% of his drop-backs in 2020."

 

This is the thing I don't understand about people saying Darnold will be a good fit in the Shanahan O.  IMO Darnold is horrible at play action.  Just don't get it.

That’s not an opinion. Darnold is demonstrably bad at play action.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Which is why I think he makes it to 23

We' re too needy in other areas. We'll sign a backup in FA, that's more of a threat ro Darnold than Flacco was. I really think a lot of people on this board are blind as to how harmful Gase was to Darnold's development

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, genot said:

You have to run the ball. Jet's couldn't. Is that Darnolds fault too. All i hear is Darnold sucks, Darnold can't do this, or do that. Those no nothings are going to bring back a QB who can't play.  Or they're going to trade him to the. Half a dozen organizations who are too stupid to see what people here see. 

In 2020 Jets were 23rd in rushing O, not good for sure.   In passing they were 31st. 

Who do you think that falls on?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, genot said:

The best team Wilson played was Coastal Carolina. Give me a break. Has also had his shoulder operated on twice. Move on people. 

Coastal Carolina was ranked 12th at the time.  wound up 9th.  Pretty good team

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

That’s not an opinion. Darnold is demonstrably bad at play action.

I have seen just about every snap Darnold has taken for the Jets. You want to talk about poor decision  making, sure, accuracy  on long passes, can't  deny it, throwing across his body and off the wrong foot, at least once a game, but him being bad at PA, I really never noticed this.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, genot said:

The best team Wilson played was Coastal Carolina. Give me a break. Has also had his shoulder operated on twice. Move on people. 

So you think his arm strength, accuracy and mobility changes depending on the opponent?

The injuries are a valid concern (1 shoulder and 1 hand). That and potentially having  character issues are the big concerns.  Doctors and scouts will need to vet all that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

This is why I don't  want Wilson but if we run an O he will succeed in, there is no denying the arm talent. 

Even we would have destroyed, humiliated Coastal Carolina last year. There are dock workers with great arms, doesn't mean they can star in the NFL.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...