Article linking LeFluer and Zack Wilson to Jets

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ganggreennation.com/platform/amp/2021/1/15/22232467/rumour-saleh-will-hire-mike-lafleur-as-oc

I really don't  want Wilson but if they think they can pull a Kyler Murray kind of transition, may not be a bad idea. 

No real connection at all. Just a draftnick speculating about potential system fits. 

It's going to be a long offseason.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"It’s an offensive system that relies on play-action with Jimmy Garoppolo using it on 32.3% of his drop-backs in 2020."   This is the thing I don't understand about people saying Darnold wil

This is a fan blog With the Jets implementing a Shanahan offense that fits Darnold like a glove, I’m not sure why so many are downright pissed about potentially giving him another shot. The

Play action doesn’t work when you are constantly handing the ball to a 40 year old Frank Gore

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

San Darnold was a top 5 pick. Compared to Darnold, Wilson has a stronger arm, is more accurate and more athletic. Darnold has the better frame. I’m not sure how good Wilson will be, but he’s definitely a top 5 pick. You can compare his traits to other top 5 picks and he’s right there with them.

Agsin not sure he’s the right pick. A lot of that will depend on his character which I have no way of knowing. But he’s not a reach in the top 5.

I mean compare his traits to Lawrence and see how far apart those two are. Arm strength is equal, Wilson has better accuracy, Wilson looks more mobile (tbd on those combine numbers), but Lawrence has the better frame. By all accounts Lawrence is a great leader and there are rumblings Wilson might be a douchebag. If true, I’d pass on Wilson. But again his traits are high end. 

Like I said, every possibility my view will change as I learn more and watch some YouTubes of him playing in the draft leadup or at the combine.

Till then, what is unquestionable is that he's a small school kid who mostly played other nobody-tier small school competition not on par with the big boys. 

And as you note it sounds (from the media, take it with a grain of salt) like he might be a spoiled dick of an immature kid, always a risk factor.

We also don't have equal metrics of testing for him (or anyone else) yet till the combine or it's functional equivalent.  Forgive me if I discount Fan-based "eye" tests. 

And given his stats are almost all against punching bag lesser tier schools, his stats are of lesser value as well.

We'll see.  Long way to go till draft day, plenty of time to get better informed.  I've only watched one game (partial) of his, and it didn;t impress me on the "eye test" we all love, but again, plenty of time.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I have seen just about every snap Darnold has taken for the Jets. You want to talk about poor decision  making, sure, accuracy  on long passes, can't  deny it, throwing across his body and off the wrong foot, at least once a game, but him being bad at PA, I really never noticed this.

Go back and check it out. He’s just not good at it. This is from 2019 but I doubt he got statistically better considering the season he had.

• Upvote 1

Wheres the actual link between LaFleur and Wilson to the Jets?

Just as many, actually more, have said the LaFleur offense would be great for Darnold.

Jeezus. OK. Let me take a stab at this too. Salad will hire LaFleur as his OC. LaFleur runs a system like BYU. Zach Wilson played at BYU. Wilson.. they make footballs. Who is known for football? "Johnny Football". Looks like we are signing Manziel. 

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, flgreen said:

In 2020 Jets were 23rd in rushing O, not good for sure.   In passing they were 31st. 

Who do you think that falls on?

Everyone. The coach. The play calling, the scheme.The offensive line. The QB.The receivers .

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

No real connection at all. Just a draftnick speculating about potential system fits. 

It's going to be a long offseason.

He is mentioned as a good fit and running the same O in BYU but there is no connection.  

dude abides GIF

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

So you think his arm strength, accuracy and mobility changes depending on the opponent?

The injuries are a valid concern (1 shoulder and 1 hand). That and potentially having  character issues are the big concerns.  Doctors and scouts will need to vet all that.

Lets see what he can do when there's pressure in his face on a regular basis, and his receivers aren't open, with no window for error. Does anyone in that conference ever gst drafted into the NFL.

20 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Go back and check it out. He’s just not good at it. This is from 2019 but I doubt he got statistically better considering the season he had.

All of these throws are long downfield passes. I don't think he is missing because of a play action fake, I just think he has never been that accurate downfield passing. 

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

In 2018 The Jets were 10th in the league in PA passing, 26%.  Darnold sucked at it. At USC Darnold also was terrible at PA.  In 2018 Miami PA 23%.    Gase didn't call PA with the Jets because Darnold was horrible at it

Since you seem to know more than people in the league, including our new coach and GM, why was Darnold drafted into the NFL. According to you and other's, he has no skills, that you can hang your hat on

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wheres the actual link between LaFleur and Wilson to the Jets?

Just as many, actually more, have said the LaFleur offense would be great for Darnold.

Well this article said LaFleur will be the OC and that he runs the same O Wilson plays in. That isn't  a connection? I said the article connects him

• Upvote 1
Just now, More Cowbell said:

Well this article said LaFleur will be the OC and that he runs the same O Wilson plays in. That isn't  a connection? I said the article connects him

No, its not a connection when you consider more people are talking that the offense is perfectly suited to Darnold.  

Guess what its perfect for a lot of QBs, thats why its used buy many teams.  Are those QBs who fit in the offense then lined to the Jets?

3 minutes ago, genot said:

Lets see what he can do when there's pressure in his face on a regular basis, and his receivers aren't open, with no window for error. Does anyone in that conference ever gst drafted into the NFL.

11 From BYU alone

25 minutes ago, pointman said:

Jeezus. OK. Let me take a stab at this too. Salad will hire LaFleur as his OC. LaFleur runs a system like BYU. Zach Wilson played at BYU. Wilson.. they make footballs. Who is known for football? "Johnny Football". Looks like we are signing Manziel. 

cast wilson GIF

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

No, its not a connection when you consider more people are talking that the offense is perfectly suited to Darnold.  

Guess what its perfect for a lot of QBs, thats why its used buy many teams.  Are those QBs who fit in the offense then lined to the Jets?

Honestly, I haven't  seen one article that said this. Can you share?

2 minutes ago, genot said:

Since you seem to know more than people in the league, including our new coach and GM, why was Darnold drafted into the NFL. According to you and other's, he has no skills, that you can hang your hat on

Hmmmm, seems like some one is mad that their boy sucks.

Darnold was drafted at #3 after being passed over by 2 QB needy teams because the Jets GM wasn't very smart and passed on 3 QB's who are better then him.

I have to assume you didn't watch Darnold play last year. 

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

All of these throws are long downfield passes. I don't think he is missing because of a play action fake, I just think he has never been that accurate downfield passing. 

Play action generally functions to open up downfield passing. That’s it’s primary function. Also no one bites because Sam doesn’t sell it well. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Play action generally functions to open up downfield passing. That’s it’s primary function. Also no one bites because Sam doesn’t sell it well. 

No one bites because we have Gore as a RB

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, flgreen said:

This is the thing I don't understand about people saying Darnold will be a good fit in the Shanahan O.  IMO Darnold is horrible at play action.  Just don't get it.

I always thought that, in his first two years, play action was where Darnold excelled. Year 3 he sucked at just about everything.

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I see no evidence he is bad at it. What I see is a guy missing a bunch of long passes to WR that aren't  getting much separation.  

So 3 seasons of being bad at it statistically, various commentators noting it, and Sam Darnold being bad at literally every aspect of being a QB isn’t enough evidence for you?

59 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

That’s not an opinion. Darnold is demonstrably bad at play action.

Okay, two people I like are saying it, so it must be true.

12 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Hmmmm, seems like some one is mad that their boy sucks.

Darnold was drafted at #3 after being passed over by 2 QB needy teams because the Jets GM wasn't very smart and passed on 3 QB's who are better then him.

I have to assume you didn't watch Darnold play last year. 

His not my boy. Apparently, Douglas and that idiot Saleh are hitching they're wagon to Sam. T he year of that draft this board was talking about sucking for Sam. At the end of last year it was get more weapons for Sam. Now. He's a career backup. When he entered that draft. Everyone considered him or Mayfield the best QB's in that draft. Well. A vast majority did. Let me back up a little on that.

Wilson is very underrated on this board.  From what I have seen, he has a good arm with an excellent release, he goes through progressions well, he makes aggressive decisions, he takes care of the football, his ball placement is top notch, he regularly takes snaps from under center, and he is a decent mobile threat.  He isn't a one read quarterback, he isn't a statue in the pocket, and he isn't a check down master who racked up inflated stats due to YAC.  Everything I have seen from him translates very well to the NFL.

He may be a bit of a reach at #2, but if Joe Douglas' evaluation concludes that he can be a franchise quarterback you can build a team around, I am all for the pick.  If you find your guy, you make the pick, "value" be damned.  Does it really matter if he is drafted #2 or #7 if he proves to be your long term solution at quarterback?

I think Wilson is going to end up being a better pro quarterback than Fields.

• Post of the Week 1
5 minutes ago, genot said:

His not my boy. Apparently, Douglas and that idiot Saleh are hitching they're wagon to Sam. T he year of that draft this board was talking about sucking for Sam. At the end of last year it was get more weapons for Sam. Now. He's a career backup. When he entered that draft. Everyone considered him or Mayfield the best QB's in that draft. Well. A vast majority did. Let me back up a little on that.

This is even more premature than the board melting down about Saleh leaving One Jets Drive without a signed contract.

26 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Honestly, I haven't  seen one article that said this. Can you share?

Scheduler has said it. Orlovsky has said it,  everyone on TV this morning said it.  It’s an extreme QB friendly system. It favors QBs who can move around and play action

12 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

So 3 seasons of being bad at it statistically, various commentators noting it, and Sam Darnold being bad at literally every aspect of being a QB isn’t enough evidence for you?

You presented something that isn't  proof, I also have not heard or read this until now. What I see is something we have discussed here,  Sam being inaccurate  on long throws. 

I'll give JD and Saleh the benefit of the doubt no matter what they do at QB, but passing on a QB at #2 just to watch them succeed with another team while Darnold continues to bust will quickly put them both on my sh*t list.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Scheduler has said it. Orlovsky has said it,  everyone on TV this morning said it.  It’s an extreme QB friendly system. It favors QBs who can move around and play action

I gotta stay home more I guess. 

14 minutes ago, genot said:

When did our new HC and GM say that Darnold would be the Jets starting QB next season?  I missed that.  It's C J who is drooling.  The same guy who said Gase was the future of football.  lol

And why are you attempting to make this personal?

Never said Darnold has no skills.   He has NFL size, a fair NFL arm, and is somewhat effective rolling to his right.  

After 3 seasons 

He is very inaccurate on his long ball, 

Terrible pre-snap reads

Terrible field vision, how many times this year have we seen WR's open, and he forces the ball into coverage.  This may be the biggest I'm not sure field vison is fixable.

Makes bad decisions, and turns the ball over.  This was also a big problem at USC.  He hasn't improved at it since.  Not to mention his contract situation

He may turn out as good as Sanchez , and hang around the league for some years, because he does have a bit of talent.

Right now after 3 years he is clearly the worst starting QB in the NFL.  Nice kid, bad QB.  Time to move on, to me this appears to be a decent/good QB draft.  Get one

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1