Article linking LeFluer and Zack Wilson to Jets

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

When did our new HC and GM say that Darnold would be the Jets starting QB next season?  I missed that.  It's C J who is drooling.  The same guy who said Gase was the future of football.  lol

And why are you attempting to make this personal?

Never said Darnold has no skills.   He has NFL size, a fair NFL arm, and is somewhat effective rolling to his right.  

After 3 seasons 

He is very inaccurate on his long ball, 

Terrible pre-snap reads

Terrible field vision, how many times this year have we seen WR's open, and he forces the ball into coverage.  This may be the biggest I'm not sure field vison is fixable.

Makes bad decisions, and turns the ball over.  This was also a big problem at USC.  He hasn't improved at it since.  Not to mention his contract situation

He may turn out as good as Sanchez , and hang around the league for some years, because he does have a bit of talent.

Right now after 3 years he is clearly the worst starting QB in the NFL.  Nice kid, bad QB.  Time to move on, to me this appears to be a decent/good QB draft.  Get one

Im not making it personal. If it sounded that way, i apologize. He was the youngest QB ever to start an NFL game. He had his up's and down's as a rookie. You could see the talent and why he was highly regarded coming out of USC. What happened. Gase happened. It totally stifled his development. I tbink we're going to see a totally different QB, next year. It's hard to say, but we need to disregard the last two years. It was a complete shi.show. And we all know it

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

'Play action' has little to do with the Qb and has everything to do with effectively running the ball.

Bingo! 

That’s what makes Shanahan so effective at it.....They run the ball well first and foremost, then they marry the running and passing game so that Play-Action pass looks exactly like their runs. McVay is also great at that as well. That’s all scheme and coaching. 

14 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Go back and check it out. He’s just not good at it. This is from 2019 but I doubt he got statistically better considering the season he had.

Because Frank Gore is a slow 40 year old RB averaging 3.4 ypc

Play action only works when you have an effective running game

19 hours ago, flgreen said:

"It’s an offensive system that relies on play-action with Jimmy Garoppolo using it on 32.3% of his drop-backs in 2020."

This is the thing I don't understand about people saying Darnold will be a good fit in the Shanahan O.  IMO Darnold is horrible at play action.  Just don't get it.

Jets are trading Sam and drafting a QB at 2.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Play action doesn’t work when you are constantly handing the ball to a 40 year old Frank Gore

The Jets have 1 good lineman in Becton one decent lineman in McGovern and a tire fire at the 3 other spots 

play action doesn't work when you don't invest in the line or have a credible threat to run except behind 1 dude 

the jets offense, whatever there was of it in 2020, was left handed 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Two surgeries at his age can’t be very common, how big of a concern is that? 

(Only experts wanted to reply, you know who you are.)

I've consulted with Doctor Chad Pennington who says it's a normal thing to have happen when athletes from Mid Majors try to get over drafted. Wilson is a very advanced young man he's getting his shoulder rebuilds out of the way early

he has a punchcard like Subway sandwiches and in fact his next torn labrum is free 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I've consulted with Doctor Chad Pennington who says it's a normal thing to have happen when athletes from Mid Majors try to get over drafted. Wilson is a very advanced young man he's getting his shoulder rebuilds out of the way early

he has a punchcard like Subway sandwiches and in fact his next torn labrum is free 

Well then...

DRAFT THIS BEAST!!!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Untouchable said:

This is a fan blog

With the Jets implementing a Shanahan offense that fits Darnold like a glove, I’m not sure why so many are downright pissed about potentially giving him another shot.

The Jets could move down for a haul in exchange for #2.

What if the Jets, just in the 1st round, could walk away with a Smith/Harris/Rousseau trio?

Give Darnold a supporting cast like this with LaFleur calling the plays and he could very well transform into the player we drafted him to be.

QB Sam Darnold 

RB Najee Harris

WR DeVonta Smith

WR Denzel Mims

WR Jamison Crowder

TE Zach Ertz

LT Mekhi Becton

LG Joe Thuney

C Corey Linsley

RG Connor McGovern

RT George Fant

Wow, this has me pumped to go 7-9 and draft in the 10-15 range in a weaker qb class then this years. It's going to be awesome watching this team get blown out by the Bills and Dolphins.

Seriously, do you guys realize what division we're in? In what universe is Darnold going to lead this team to victory over the Bills while Josh Allen is having MVP esque seasons?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

id only take wilson if we trade out of 2 and get more picks. take him in the 8-15 range. i like his moxy but the fact he played at byu and didnt really play that tough of competition hesitates me from thinking he is worth the number 2 pick. but again who the f knows. i am no expert

Yeah, it would be great to move back, get more picks, and still draft him. The only issue is there is no way in hell he lasts past the top 5 picks. BYU has a decent group of QBs that have come out of there if we're judging by school. Steve Young and Jim McMahon both won Super Bowls.

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2021 at 4:22 PM, genot said:

You have to run the ball. Jet's couldn't. Is that Darnolds fault too. All i hear is Darnold sucks, Darnold can't do this, or do that. Those no nothings are going to bring back a QB who can't play.  Or they're going to trade him to the. Half a dozen organizations who are too stupid to see what people here see. 

It's not like they'd be getting premium draft picks for him. You're talking about a late 2nd/early 3rd for him at most. That's not compensation that says he's a franchise QB. 

On 1/15/2021 at 4:29 PM, genot said:

The best team Wilson played was Coastal Carolina. Give me a break. Has also had his shoulder operated on twice. Move on people. 

Scouts don't grade you based on who you play, they grade you on projection, arm talent and football knowledge. 

On 1/15/2021 at 3:49 PM, flgreen said:

"It’s an offensive system that relies on play-action with Jimmy Garoppolo using it on 32.3% of his drop-backs in 2020."

This is the thing I don't understand about people saying Darnold will be a good fit in the Shanahan O.  IMO Darnold is horrible at play action.  Just don't get it.

He's horrible at everything.  No system will make Darnold look good.  It's maddening when people try to argue otherwise.  There's not one thing he does well.  Supposedly throwing on the run and improvising were his strengths, but he made horrible plays in both categories all season.  

My preference is still Fields but if Wilson is deemed to be the guy, I'm down.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2021 at 4:51 PM, Jet Nut said:

Wheres the actual link between LaFleur and Wilson to the Jets?

Just as many, actually more, have said the LaFleur offense would be great for Darnold.

The Shanahan offense schemes players open so a lot of the plays don't depend on the QB reading the field as much. And since Darnold has terrible on field awareness and struggles mightily getting passed his 2nd read this offense would help him in that regard. 

That being said it would help any QB that has his issues. Rookies can thrive in a system like this as well and since Wilson already has experience in a similar offense it won't be such a big leap for him. 

On 1/15/2021 at 5:12 PM, genot said:

Lets see what he can do when there's pressure in his face on a regular basis, and his receivers aren't open, with no window for error. Does anyone in that conference ever gst drafted into the NFL.

Lol,  did you watch games this year? 

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2021 at 5:58 PM, genot said:

Im not making it personal. If it sounded that way, i apologize. He was the youngest QB ever to start an NFL game. He had his up's and down's as a rookie. You could see the talent and why he was highly regarded coming out of USC. What happened. Gase happened. It totally stifled his development. I tbink we're going to see a totally different QB, next year. It's hard to say, but we need to disregard the last two years. It was a complete shi.show. And we all know it

Bad decision making isn't on Gase. Sorry, but you can't blame him for everything. Darnold has to take most ownership on struggling to read defense on the fly and being an awful passer 20+ yards down the field. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Because Frank Gore is a slow 40 year old RB averaging 3.4 ypc

Play action only works when you have an effective running game

The 49ers averaged .2 yards more per carry and 8 yards total rushing yards more per game. Stop with the excuses

38 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The Shanahan offense schemes players open so a lot of the plays don't depend on the QB reading the field as much. And since Darnold has terrible on field awareness and struggles mightily getting passed his 2nd read this offense would help him in that regard. 

That being said it would help any QB that has his issues. Rookies can thrive in a system like this as well and since Wilson already has experience in a similar offense it won't be such a big leap for him. 

And I know all of this.  But it's not a link.  Wilson would work with a number of teams that run the Shanahan based WCO.  

44 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's horrible at everything.  No system will make Darnold look good.  It's maddening when people try to argue otherwise.  There's not one thing he does well.  Supposedly throwing on the run and improvising were his strengths, but he made horrible plays in both categories all season.  

My preference is still Fields but if Wilson is deemed to be the guy, I'm down.  

Its actually maddening when you keep saying the same things over and over again as if that makes it fact.  Hes been horrible with horrible players around him and horrible coaching.  Most people are saying lets see.  Thats maddening to you for some ungodly reason.

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Jets have 1 good lineman in Becton one decent lineman in McGovern and a tire fire at the 3 other spots 

play action doesn't work when you don't invest in the line or have a credible threat to run except behind 1 dude 

the jets offense, whatever there was of it in 2020, was left handed 

And with a OC who relies on play action, lots of cap space and draft picks, I would assume we will be watching a vastly different OL next season

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And I know all of this.  But it's not a link.  Wilson would work with a number of teams that run the Shanahan based WCO.  

I'm explaining why people think it's a good fit for Darnold. Less complicated offenses are better for Darnold bc he struggles with field awareness. Also, the point is that Wilson would succeed just as much, if not more, than Darnold in this offense. The biggest difference is the contract.