Who will be new DC?

MadMikeyG

4 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Maybe he keeps Frank Bush around.  Bush was the DC in Houston when Saleh was there.  

Another up and coming assistant coach with Saleh connections is Marquand Manuel, former Falcons DC and currently the DB coach with the Eagles.  He may be looking for a new job soon.  Saleh and Manuel spent time together on the Seahawk's staff.

Aaron Glenn would be a good option.  Came in to interview for the HC job.

Kris Richard would be a good option too but he has also been out for a couple years.  Spent a few years with Saleh in Seattle.

Wade Phillips recently un-retired.  Could mentor Saleh the way he mentored McVay.  Similar to Kris Richard, has been out for a couple years.

Jim Leonhard current DC of Wisconsin and former Jet.  One of college football's brightest, young coordinators in charge of a perennial top defense.

Richard was only out for 1 yr- 2020

Wade Phillips interests me... the guy is just a Defensive Architect 

• Upvote 2

Richard/Morris/Glenn

either of those 3 would be fine with most of us.  The notion that Saleh will be running the D is absurd. He will input to all 3 phases, but if he calls plays, then I will lose respect. He can override a play, however I don't want him involved in calling the D plays... He was brought in here to be the HC... Most of us want to see him do that job.

16 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

If you believe what has been said in pressers that is the literal opposite of what is going to happen. They made it clear they wanted a head coach to be a head coach and not a lopsided coordinator

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

That doesn't  mean it won't  be the defense he has been running. That defense will be in stalled by someone else is all. 

3 hours ago, jetsons said:

Richard was only out for 1 yr- 2020

Wade Phillips interests me... the guy is just a Defensive Architect 

Wade runs a 3-4, Salah runs a 4-3, so I don't know if the fit is there.

Wade is a brilliant DC, no arguing that.   Too nice a guy to be a HC, but his defenses always perform

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Maybe he keeps Frank Bush around.  Bush was the DC in Houston when Saleh was there.  

Another up and coming assistant coach with Saleh connections is Marquand Manuel, former Falcons DC and currently the DB coach with the Eagles.  He may be looking for a new job soon.  Saleh and Manuel spent time together on the Seahawk's staff.

Aaron Glenn would be a good option.  Came in to interview for the HC job.

Kris Richard would be a good option too but he has also been out for a couple years.  Spent a few years with Saleh in Seattle.

Wade Phillips recently un-retired.  Could mentor Saleh the way he mentored McVay.  Similar to Kris Richard, has been out for a couple years.

Jim Leonhard current DC of Wisconsin and former Jet.  One of college football's brightest, young coordinators in charge of a perennial top defense.

Great list, good job

Manuel seems perfect.  Would love to see Glenn

10 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Wade runs a 3-4, Salah runs a 4-3, so I don't know if the fit is there.

Wade is a brilliant DC, no arguing that.   Too nice a guy to be a HC, but his defenses always perform

Interesting that 9's were mentioned with Wade Phillips just last week.. Does Wade Phillips have interest in being the 49ers defensive coordinator? - Niners Nation

Does Wade Phillips have interest in being the 49ers defensive coordinator?

A tweet he sent this week got me thinking...

By Rob Guerrera  Jan 7, 2021, 12:00pm PST 

Arizona Cardinals v Los Angeles RamsPhoto by Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images

There has been no shortage of news when it comes to the 49ers and the defensive coordinator position. While most of it revolves around the teams interested in hiring Robert Saleh to be their head coach, I saw something this week that caught my eye about who could possibly replace Mr. Saleh on the sidelines next season:

Horrible spacing aside, the tweet is interesting from Phillips. He isn’t just throwing that out there for no reason, especially given this story about teams potentially being interested.

Assuming the 49ers would be one of those interested teams, what do we think of the fit given the team’s current personnel? Levin Black and I tackled that idea on today’s Niners Nation Gold Standard Podcast.

“That tweet is a little misleading because it doesn’t mean every single roster out there can make the change,” Black said, “The problem for the Niners, if you look at their defensive line, they don’t have the personnel to do it. What are you going to do with Bosa, Armstead, and Kinlaw? All three of those have to be DEs in that system. None of them are big enough to be a nose tackle in a 3-4 defense.”

While running a by-the-book 3-4 defense might be difficult from that standpoint, I disagreed with Levin because a coach with as much experience as Phillips would be able to cook up a scheme that would work with the amount of talent the 49ers have on defense.

Take a listen to today’s episode and decide for yourself if you think Wade would work in San Francisco.