Good article on possibles for Saleh's staff

jetsons

The somewhat “hush hush” reality is the Jets FO wants a minority coach to be their DC. There’s plenty incentive to (potential future draft picks), but thankfully there are a lot of qualified ones. 

Raheem Morris, Aaron Glenn, Marquand Manuel, Kris Richard, Jerome Henderson are names to keep an eye on. Morris is highly sought after. 

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Who Might Join Robert Saleh's Staff? - Turn On The Jets

Who Might Join Robert Saleh’s Staff?

Stephen Zantz highlights several coaches who might join Robert Saleh’s staff.

cropped-17156334_10155195699213489_87451

It’s an exciting day for the Jets as they have hired Robert Saleh to be their new head coach. Jet fans never thought Saleh was seriously in play prior to the process due to his ties to Detroit and high demand from other teams. Be as it may, Joe Douglas did his magic and locked Saleh up for 5 years. Now that Saleh is in the building, I’ve highlighted a few potential staff additions.

Mike LaFleur (San Francisco 49ers Passing Game Coordinator) – This one seems like a lock based on all media reports, but nothing is set and stone just yet. LaFleur is the younger brother of Matt who currently is the head coach of the Green Bay Packers. Given the success of Matt through 2 seasons, this seems like a slam dunk hire. LaFleur is only 33 years old and has been in the NFL since 2014. He has worked under Kyle Shanahan in each of his roles in the NFL. Kyle is a top 3 play caller in the league in my eyes, so this potential addition is exciting. You can expect LaFleur to adopt the outside zone run scheme and call a ton of QB rollouts/bootlegs in this offense. Matt LaFleur could be the strongest OC the Jets have had in quite some time.

Kris Richard (Formerly Dallas Cowboys Defensive Play Caller/DBs Coach) – Kris Richard spent 2020 out of football after not being retained by Mike McCarthy in Dallas. That probably was a blessing in disguise for Richard as Dallas was a mess this season specifically on defense. Richard is a former NFL DB for 6 seasons before going into coaching in 2008 at USC for 2 seasons. He then followed Pete Carroll to Seattle in 2010 and worked his way up the staff before departing in 2018 for Dallas. Kris was a key figure in the development of the Legion of Boom in Seattle that was one of the strongest units over the last decade. The Jets actually interviewed Richard in 2019 before settling on Adam Gase (ugh). This would be a really strong hire for Saleh as it would allow him to defer to Richard to call the defensive plays while Saleh focuses on managing the entire team. Richard and Saleh overlapped in Seattle which is why this fit makes a ton of sense.

Miles Austin (Formerly San Francisco 49ers Quality Control Coach) – Rich Cimini of ESPN floated the idea that Miles would be a potential staff addition for Saleh. They overlapped last year in SF after Miles was out of football in 2020. Fans may remember Miles Austin from his days of dating Kim Kardashian back in the day. He was a solid receiver in Dallas (2 1000-yard seasons in his 10-year career).  My best guess is that Austin would be a potential fit as the team’s new receivers coach. Austin has ties to the New York area being from Summit, NJ and attending Monmouth University. Given the Jets will probably overhaul the entire offensive staff, it would be a great move to inject the staff with some youth and a former NFL vet the young receivers can learn from. Denzel Mims would benefit greatly from a presence like Austin in his ear.

Nate Carroll (Seattle Seahawks Wide Receivers Coach) – Carroll is a 33-year-old coach who has currently developed one of the best receiving corps in the NFL.  He also is Pete’s son. He may want to get out of his father’s shadow to establish himself within the NFL ranks. He has helped developed DK Metcalf into a star in year 2 while also overseeing the development of Tyler Lockett into a great receiver. Carol has worked exclusively for the Seahawks since he began his coaching career in 2012. It would make a lot of sense for Saleh to compile some of his staff from Pete Carroll given his previous tenure in Seattle. He did overlap with Nolan for 2 seasons before he left for the Jaguars.

Other Names To Watch Out For Courtesy of James Kuntz (@fuegojetstakes):

49ers Assistant DL Aaron Whitecotton

Jets OL Coach Frank Pollack

Falcons Interim HC Raheem Morris

Falcons OL Coach Chris Morgan

Packers Asst. OL Coach Luke Butkus

Packers Offensive QC Kevin Koger

Packers Offensive QC Connor Lewis

Packers Walsh Fellow Ruvell Martin

Arizona Wildcats DBs Coach DeWayne Walker

Michigan St. Defensive Coordinator Scottie Hazelton Cowboys

Eagles DB Coach Marquand Manuel

giphy.gif?resize=476%2C254&ssl=1

31 minutes ago, football guy said:

The somewhat “hush hush” reality is the Jets FO wants a minority coach to be their DC. There’s plenty incentive to (potential future draft picks), but thankfully there are a lot of qualified ones. 

Raheem Morris, Aaron Glenn, Marquand Manuel, Kris Richard, Jerome Henderson are names to keep an eye on. Morris is highly sought after. 

Isn’t the head coach a minority?

plus these guys are all so young.  Feel a bit of age discrimination 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Kris Richard was suprisingly out of football in 2020. He did a good job with the Dallas D and actually interviewed for the Jets HC job when Gase was hired. I think he worked with Saleh in Seattle also

25 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Kris Richard is a Pete Carroll disciple as was Saleh, he was also on the staff that developed the Legion of Boom... For this reason I think he'll get Serious Consideration... he's also a high energy guy like Saleh.

Did you guys not read the article? lol 

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, football guy said:

Aaron Glenn 

get it done. Loved him as a player 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I really like the hire of Saleh and it’s an exciting and positive development to get the guy who was largely considered the No1 available candidate but with him being a young first time coach I think it’s vital he surrounds himself with some legit experience.
A lot of those names bouncing around are youngsters and while that’s exciting too I hope Saleh can persuade a guy like Raheem Morris or Marvin Lewis or maybe even Frank Bush to join his staff, on the offensive side someone like Bill Callahan or Jim Caldwell could be useful mentors for a younger OC. That wise old head that’s been there and done it before is vital in any work environment.
It will be so important that he surrounds himself with a blend of innovative and exciting youngsters and experienced veterans with a track record of success. We need him to be a proper head coach across the whole team while his coordinators flourish under his overall command

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Would love to see Marco Columbo as O Line coach. He was involved in making the Dallas line pretty dominant both as an assistant and head coach of that unit 

Is he the one that was fired from giants this season for the ex-jet coach that loved wayne hunter?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

I really like the hire of Saleh and it’s an exciting and positive development to get the guy who was largely considered the No1 available candidate but with him being a young first time coach I think it’s vital he surrounds himself with some legit experience.
A lot of those names bouncing around are youngsters and while that’s exciting too I hope Saleh can persuade a guy like Raheem Morris or Marvin Lewis or maybe even Frank Bush to join his staff, on the offensive side someone like Bill Callahan or Jim Caldwell could be useful mentors for a younger OC. That wise old head that’s been there and done it before is vital in any work environment.
It will be so important that he surrounds himself with a blend of innovative and exciting youngsters and experienced veterans with a track record of success. We need him to be a proper head coach across the whole team while his coordinators flourish under his overall command

Callahan is the Browns OL coach 

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

I want ZERO to do with Lewis... he was a DC decades ago & failed as a HC... Morris SAME... Bush doesn't have the HC experience... But a guy like Wade Phillips who was mediocre as a HC (82-61 record) but IS A Superstar as a DC would intrigue me Much More.... I would take Callahan in a Heartbeat, Proven Teacher of ALL blocking schemes not just zone blocking, I would offer him the OL Coach/Assst HC Title... Jim Caldwell- meh, No Thx.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

No mention of DeMeco Ryans?  I had heard him as a potential before the hire.  I know there was talk of the Niners promomting him.  Is that a done deal?

I think so, think hes been blocked from being poached 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Isn’t the head coach a minority?

plus these guys are all so young.  Feel a bit of age discrimination 

The incentive to have minority assistant coaches is if they go on and get promoted to head coaches elsewhere, the Jets would receive a couple of 3rd round compensatory draft picks.  

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The incentive to have minority assistant coaches is if they go on and get promoted to head coaches elsewhere, the Jets would receive a couple of 3rd round compensatory draft picks.  

I could care LESS... I Just Want the BEST... I'm Color Blind when it comes to that.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, football guy said:

Even if those guys were yellow with pink polka dot skin colored I’d be psyched for Raheem, Glenn, or Richard.