Do you trust Joe Douglas?

NYJ1

We can talk and debate all day about Robert Saleh. In the end, it's all speculation. It certainly appears like he's achieved a lot in the NFL. He's graduated up through the ranks and hasn't had anything given to him. So really, we as fans, know very little about Mr. Saleh other than to quote other NFL coaches and media talking heads.

You need to trust that Joe Douglas had made the right decision. That's what all of this boils down to.

I, for one, do trust the GM. And honestly, in the scheme of things, we don't have a very large sample size on Joe Douglas. We only have one off-season to measure his ability. IMO, that off season was hit and miss. He hit on the draft and for the most part he missed in free agency. 

I'm choosing the optimistic approach to this in believing that Joe Douglas knows how to draft and will get better at acquiring the right players through free agency. I think Mr. Johnson has finally made a good hire in JD. 

We'll see over the long haul, but I ask you, do YOU trust that Joe Douglas has made the right hire? Because I submit to you the following:

I think Robert Saleh is a good HC just like I thought Rex, Bowles, and even Gase were good coaches in their own way. But the most important factor is JOE DOUGLAS. It all starts with JD and his ability to build the talent level on the roster. If he fails, ROBERT SALEH will also inevitably fail as well. If Joe Douglas shows his ability to acquire talent through the draft, Robert Saleh will in turn be successful and possibly get the NYJ their next Superbowl....

• Upvote 1

He appears to be a competent professional. And should get more time. On the other hand the record under his watch has been a lot worse than other GMs. And he was a Gase guy actually chosen by Gase (we think) to work with him. You can’t separate Douglas from Gase. They were supposed to be a tandem. 

I think I do.  I thought he could have done better last year in free agency.  The 2020 draft the jury is still out.

He did a wonderful job in getting us Salah.  He got his first choice in a coach.  When was the last time the Jets got their first choice.

This is a big off season for the Jets.  I think players want to come here and play for Salah.  There will be no extra premium to play for the Jets this year.   We have the cap space to fill a need or two. I think Maye will be reinvigorated to resign with the Jets.   We have the draft picks the next two years.  We can trade down and get a haul or we can draft a QB.  These decisions will dictate if JD is the man

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

No the ownership did. Look I'm not for firing Douglas. But he was Gase's guy. 

Same ownership that called Gase "the future of football" when he was 0-9?  The Jets actually improved after that.  We won't know for awhile, but I'd bet Douglas pulled the trigger on Gase. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I trust him a lot more today than I did on Wednesday.  

He had a good draft and, clearly, for the hottest HC prospect in the league to have one Zoom call and decide this is the place he wants to bet his entire career on speaks volumes about Douglas.

I'm in.

SAR I

Agree. Many more stories of failure from coaching here than Pete Carroll’s. 

• Upvote 1

I've seen too many GM's fail here to trust any rookie GM.  JD could end up good or end up being another Macc.

His first year was mixed.  Crappy draft, nice trades, bad draft trade down, bad FA, no depth.  Turned us into a two win team.

It'll take 3 or 4 years to fully evaluate him.  I hope he pulls us out of this tailspin.  We'll see.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

I trust him and will be patient along the way. We just have to worry about the spoiled front runner, allbirds wearing, Yankees fans, who live vicariously through their favorite sports teams amongst us at JetNation.

My guess is he was never a real  true NY Yankees fan he probably jumped on the bandwagon somewhere along the way. 

I don't think "trust" is the right word.  But yes, I am optimistic.  (Always am until it goes off the rails which the Jets do with stunning frequency).

If you look at 2020, he did some good things and more bad things.  His roster is worse than the one he started the year with.  So making a negative case about JD isn't hard.

OTOH, he didn't have many tools to work with.  There was little chance the Jets were going to be a contender under any circumstances.  He has cut a lot of dead wood.  He has built draft capital.  He has managed the cap well.  He has a much stronger position going into 2021 than he had going into 2020.

He led the HC hiring process really well.  He got Robert Saleh who is well regarded and at a point in the process where other teams were chasing him.  Builds some confidence in his leadership.

So we start 2021 with reasonable grounds to be optimistic.  Time will tell.

And never forget, he's the only game in town.  Think where we were with Macc and Gase.

In 2019 there was not much to do or not do. 

The two big decisions he made were flops-he failed to extend RA when he had the leverage, and he gave Kalil $9mm that we could spend next year as opposed to giving Johnathon Harrison a chance.

in 2020 he was ok.  He got a great price for Adams.  Becton could be great or ok.  If he ends up moving to RT, he probably was better with a more durable Wirfs.  that is probably the reason he does not draft Sewell.  Mims will always be compared to Claypool, Van Jefferson, Dobbins and Akers.   The 3rd and 4th rounds need big improvements next year.  Hall and the punter were good.   McGovern was a B addition.  Perriman was a waste of money for 1 year, and GVR was ok.   He think he made the same mistake with Conklin as he did RA-he was fixated on value.  We should have outbid Cleveland, if Conklin would have taken it. 

He is light years ahead of Maccagnan.  

Interesting on that picture of Mims and his new dog-his legs are way too small.  I think Saleh gets this team on a better S and C program and there is a big difference.  The 49ers are known for having a good program there.  Lynch is no dummy.  

We are stuck with Saleh and JD for the next four years.  We should enjoy it.