Do you trust Joe Douglas?

NYJ1

I don't "trust" anyone I don't know personally.

I'm hopeful and cautiously optimistic.  JD has made some good moves, and a few questionable ones, but nothing awful or that does long-term damage.  He has the right plan in place. He needs to draft well and do a bit better job with free agents this season.

• Upvote 1

Hard to ask that question based off of one draft and some FA's.... I'll say that for now, he appears much better then the last 2 or even going back further. For his plan I'm sure that this coach hire was with his plan in mind and I'm sure all players as well as drafting will be bounced off HC, OC and DC. I don't see Douglas just flying off the handle and taking only his picks. I'm sure that position will be highly discussed when it come to both FAgency and the Draft, and for that I'm guess it means that we have no choice but to trust him. Right now I'm going to say I do.

FWIW.  The talking heads seem to respect his pedigree/reputation.  I think Saleh is an excellent choice as a coach.  The key issue for me is the draft.  I know its early to grade his first draft but overall I'd say meh.  He will need to significantly improve to push us toward even the middle of the pack.

5 hours ago, oatmeal said:

For me the draft and what he does with the 2nd overall pick will tell me if I should trust him or not. 

Thus far he seems to have mostly good personnel decisions.  Used his early draft picks well last year on Becton and Mims (although I have concerns about every one of his picks in Rounds 3, 4, 5) and made a very astute trade of Jamal Adams for better-than-expected compensation.

I think he'll maximize the value of that #2 pick.  Sure, he'll probably piss off 45% of the fanbase if he doesn't take a QB, but I think he'll use that valuable pick the right way for the organization.

6 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

We can talk and debate all day about Robert Saleh. In the end, it's all speculation. It certainly appears like he's achieved a lot in the NFL. He's graduated up through the ranks and hasn't had anything given to him. So really, we as fans, know very little about Mr. Saleh other than to quote other NFL coaches and media talking heads.

You need to trust that Joe Douglas had made the right decision. That's what all of this boils down to.

I, for one, do trust the GM. And honestly, in the scheme of things, we don't have a very large sample size on Joe Douglas. We only have one off-season to measure his ability. IMO, that off season was hit and miss. He hit on the draft and for the most part he missed in free agency. 

I'm choosing the optimistic approach to this in believing that Joe Douglas knows how to draft and will get better at acquiring the right players through free agency. I think Mr. Johnson has finally made a good hire in JD. 

We'll see over the long haul, but I ask you, do YOU trust that Joe Douglas has made the right hire? Because I submit to you the following:

I think Robert Saleh is a good HC just like I thought Rex, Bowles, and even Gase were good coaches in their own way. But the most important factor is JOE DOUGLAS. It all starts with JD and his ability to build the talent level on the roster. If he fails, ROBERT SALEH will also inevitably fail as well. If Joe Douglas shows his ability to acquire talent through the draft, Robert Saleh will in turn be successful and possibly get the NYJ their next Superbowl....

I rather hit in draft than not. Love Joe

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

No. He hasnt done anything to gain my trust. Trust is to be earned, not given away.

Let him put together even 1 winning season then we can talk.

So far the jets are 9-23 with him as GM.

What he does at QB will go a long way to informing my opinion. If we stick with Sam and brings in “competition” that sets up another infamous Jets sham QB competition I will lose a lot of hope.

Right now I don’t trust but signs support a healthy amount of optimism.

9 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

We can talk and debate all day about Robert Saleh. In the end, it's all speculation. It certainly appears like he's achieved a lot in the NFL. He's graduated up through the ranks and hasn't had anything given to him. So really, we as fans, know very little about Mr. Saleh other than to quote other NFL coaches and media talking heads.

You need to trust that Joe Douglas had made the right decision. That's what all of this boils down to.

I, for one, do trust the GM. And honestly, in the scheme of things, we don't have a very large sample size on Joe Douglas. We only have one off-season to measure his ability. IMO, that off season was hit and miss. He hit on the draft and for the most part he missed in free agency. 

I'm choosing the optimistic approach to this in believing that Joe Douglas knows how to draft and will get better at acquiring the right players through free agency. I think Mr. Johnson has finally made a good hire in JD. 

We'll see over the long haul, but I ask you, do YOU trust that Joe Douglas has made the right hire? Because I submit to you the following:

I think Robert Saleh is a good HC just like I thought Rex, Bowles, and even Gase were good coaches in their own way. But the most important factor is JOE DOUGLAS. It all starts with JD and his ability to build the talent level on the roster. If he fails, ROBERT SALEH will also inevitably fail as well. If Joe Douglas shows his ability to acquire talent through the draft, Robert Saleh will in turn be successful and possibly get the NYJ their next Superbowl....

Very interesting question. I want to trust him, I think he handled the draft really well and I think he is an honest, hard working guy who has earned his stripes.

What bothers me is how this season was handled. They had to know how bad they were going in and yet he left them out to dry. Thats not that crazy accept for the fact that Gase and Darnold both got sacrificed. I dont care about Gase, but that shows no respect for the guy that got you the job or for your QB who you invested a #3 pick on. Maybe it was Johnson calling the shots but if they knew Gase was gone they should have fired him before the season and started over ASAP.

Again Ill say I shed no tears over Gase but how these things are handled speaks to the kind of organization you are and this was an ugly way to get to where we are today. Ill pin it on Johnson, he is an incompetent, idiot but in the end JD is culpable too if he allows the organization to embarrass itself. Lets hope he has control now and the Johnsons stay out of it.  

JD has gotten a lot of passes from this fan base on some real head scratching decisions. Think week 1 2019 bringing in a kicker who never kicked in met life before. Letting Robby walk. Drafting a qb who is in the witness protection program in the 4th etc.

We have some good draft capital this year. No doubt his last draft was a “meh” draft. He needs to hit more in 2021 on picks. With all that said I give him credit for getting Saleh. Now I hope he hits in the draft 

• Upvote 2

I don’t know why people wouldn’t give him the benefit of doubt. Trust is a polarizing word - but the notion of buying into his program - yes, you should. 

he came on in 2019 without having a hand in meaningful FA or draft. Read the tea leaves in 2020 w/ Adam Gase on borrowed time - decided not commit to any major FA spending and worked on getting a LT and starting the rebuild.

now he has his coach, his FULL GM duties and open waters. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

JD has gotten a lot of passes from this fan base on some real head scratching decisions. Think week 1 2019 bringing in a kicker who never kicked in met life before. Letting Robby walk. Drafting a qb who is in the witness protection program in the 4th etc.

Jesus, are some of you guys STILL falling on the sword about a kicker?    LET   IT   GO! 

Mahomes sat his first season as well.....guess that was a head scratcher as well?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Jesus, are some of you guys STILL falling on the sword about a kicker?    LET   IT   GO! 

Mahomes sat his first season as well.....guess that was a head scratcher as well?

1) It cost us a game....yes some people will be salty about that for a while (not just any game but home opener against a division rival)

2) Are you comparing Morgan to Mahomes LMAO!!! HAHHAHAH

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

1) It cost us a game....yes some people will be salty about that for a while (not just any game but home opener against a division rival)

2) Are you comparing Morgan to Mahomes LMAO!!! HAHHAHAH

OH NO!  The kicker from the garbage heap because Mac wouldn't sign the pro-bowler missed a kick.

image.thumb.png.3c48624055090f1384e240104b50250c.pngimage.png.b47611d451a0d214d85b94e88788ce52.png

unless i missed something both saleh and douglas have contracts that will run out the same year.  this is huge.  these guys will be joined at the hip from now into the future.  hard to see even the johnson's making that kind of commitment if there was any concern about them not being the right guys or able to function together.

imo, the jets finally have a good management team now it remains to be seen if they can make some lemonade out of some lemons.  this next draft will be key as will how the free agency period is treated.  top flight guys means the team wants to start winning sooner rather than later.

23 hours ago, SAR I said:

I trust him a lot more today than I did on Wednesday.  

He had a good draft and, clearly, for the hottest HC prospect in the league to have one Zoom call and decide this is the place he wants to bet his entire career on speaks volumes about Douglas.

I'm in.

SAR I

Very logical post SAR. Are you feeling OK? lol just joking....

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

JD helping Sam: Let his best WR walk for nothing and signed a FHoF in Perriman. Rebuilt the OL via dollar store. 

Picked up Frank the Tank. Not a single good FA pickup. His draftees spend more time with the doctor than their coaches. Tanked in 2020 but wasn’t able to get Morgan in the game to complete the tank job and now we are in a terrible spot of picking a QB not worthy of that spot or drafting a position a team like the Jets shouldn’t using such high draft capital on (Penei, when u have Mekhi).

Give him credit for the Jamal Adams trade and Mekhi Becton pick. Besides that, JD hasn't done anything significant. This draft and off season will tell us exactly who JD is. 

5 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

JD helping Sam: Let his best WR walk for nothing and signed a FHoF in Perriman. Rebuilt the OL via dollar store. 

Picked up Frank the Tank. Not a single good FA pickup. His draftees spend more time with the doctor than their coaches. Tanked in 2020 but wasn’t able to get Morgan in the game to complete the tank job and now we are in a terrible spot of picking a QB not worthy of that spot or drafting a position a team like the Jets shouldn’t using such high draft capital on (Penei, when u have Mekhi).

Give him credit for the Jamal Adams trade and Mekhi Becton pick. Besides that, JD hasn't done anything significant. This draft and off season will tell us exactly who JD is. 

Of course you're wrong.  Joe Douglas did not spend "big long term" contracts on free agents and mortgage the future the way Mac did.  He signed players to 1 year "prove it" deals, so that the Jets are in great shape to get involved in free agency this year and upgrade the roster.

In addition, Saleh said he wanted the Jets job because of Joe Douglas.  That speaks volumes, and allows us to finally get a legitimate head coach that other teams wanted.

I do have criticism regarding what Joe did by moving down in the second round, and the jury is still out on Mims, Zuniga, our offensive guard in the fourth round, Morgan and our safety pick in the 3rd round.

All of these picks will be better judged next year, and then we can criticize Joe Douglas or not.

12 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

We have some good draft capital this year. No doubt his last draft was a “meh” draft. He needs to hit more in 2021 on picks. With all that said I give him credit for getting Saleh. Now I hope he hits in the draft 

His hands were tied on the kicker to my knowledge? I could be wrong but I thought Mac only brought ONE kicker into camp that was contemplating retirement. Joe Douglas signed that kicker because there were no more attractive options when he took over.

2 hours ago, Alka said:

Of course you're wrong.  Joe Douglas did not spend "big long term" contracts on free agents and mortgage the future the way Mac did.  He signed players to 1 year "prove it" deals, so that the Jets are in great shape to get involved in free agency this year and upgrade the roster.

Like I said, JD spent time in the bargain section. That’s fine, but you still need to put a competent team out there. The goal wasn’t to tank until maybe mid way through the season and then JD started trading away half decent players. It was a rebuild year, not a tank year initially. 

JD needed couple of good FA pickups. We weren’t in bad shape cap wise. He didn’t. 

2 hours ago, Alka said:

In addition, Saleh said he wanted the Jets job because of Joe Douglas.  That speaks volumes, and allows us to finally get a legitimate head coach that other teams wanted.

And JD said he wanted to make Jamal Adams a Jet for life. Saleh was interviewed by most teams needing a HC, save for Watson’s Soon to be ex team Texans. Let’s not try to sugarcoat it, no one else hired him. We did. All we know is 31 other NFL teams don’t have Saleh on their payroll. I’m happy with the signing but I’m not gonna act like we struck gold. We picked a good candidate With potential and that’s all.

And of course Saleh wanted the Jets job cuz of JD. JD was interviewing. 

2 hours ago, Alka said:

I do have criticism regarding what Joe did by moving down in the second round, and the jury is still out on Mims, Zuniga, our offensive guard in the fourth round, Morgan and our safety pick in the 3rd round.

All of these picks will be better judged next year, and then we can criticize Joe Douglas or not.

Agree here. 2020 draft is still inconclusive. If the players can shake off the injury tag, I think it’ll be our best draft in a while but only cuz Mac n Idzik ran the last several drafts. Hitting on your high first rounder isn’t an accomplishment. Where it matters is getting good players in mid rounds and beyond.