Cimini on Status of Sam Darnold

Here is what Rich Cimini had to say:

Now that the New York Jets have reached an agreement in principle to have Robert Saleh as their new coach, the focus shifts to quarterback Sam Darnold, whose poor play during the 2020 NFL season has fueled speculation about his future with the team.

Saleh will have a big say in that decision, as he should, but the early indications are Darnold will return. Two candidates who interviewed for the head-coaching vacancy, reached by ESPN, came away with the impression Darnold remains the preference of the team's hierarchy.

"They like him a lot," one candidate told ESPN.

There is plenty of time for their thinking to change.  But assuming they continue this line of thinking, trading down seems the most logical plan.  So the big question is:  what happens if there is no suitable trading partner?  Sewell or Devonta Smith seem the most logical choices right now, a single position player only fills one hole (assuming they get it right).

A trade from 2 to 4 has a point difference of 800.  That suggests an additional 2nd and a 3rd and possibly a bit more.  Some of that point value could be pushed into 2022.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joe Douglas: The Plan Is for Jamal Adams to Be a Jet for Life Feb 25, 2020 at 02:45 PM

Honestly what’s depressing is that in the midst of a new coach hire and hopefully a new hopeful direction for this franchise, we have a number of posters who just cannot help but trash our QB as soon

This is depressing

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, addage said:

Now that the New York Jets have reached an agreement in principle to have Robert Saleh as their new coach, the focus shifts to quarterback Sam Darnold, whose poor play during the 2020 NFL season has fueled speculation about his future with the team.

Saleh will have a big say in that decision, as he should, but the early indications are Darnold will return. Two candidates who interviewed for the head-coaching vacancy, reached by ESPN, came away with the impression Darnold remains the preference of the team's hierarchy.

There is plenty of time for their thinking to change.  But assuming they continue this line of thinking, trading down seems the most logical plan.  So the big question is:  what happens if there is no suitable trading partner?  Sewell or Devonta Smith seem the most logical choices right now, a single position player only fills one hole (assuming they get it right).

A trade from 2 to 4 has a point difference of 800.  That suggests an additional 2nd and a 3rd and possibly a bit more.  Some of that point value could be pushed into 2022.

Usually when there are QB's that are coveted in the draft the compensation is higher. then other years. 

• Upvote 3
Just now, More Cowbell said:

The more I'm hearing this from different sources,  the more legit it sounds. Not everyone would be reporting this if there wasn't a well placed source.

1 legit source hears it and posts it all the others pile on in different variations. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

If they do keep him, they need to put a top team around him and maybe, maybe he can manage the game. Putting it on his shoulders to win a game is basically a guaranteed turnover. You don’t make the dumb mistakes he made in his third year and expect to turn it all around. Not gonna happen. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I can’t imagine this decision will be made until we’re on the clock. You can claim all you want that Darnold has a future here, but if the Jags go mental and take Fields we sure as hell aren’t passing on Lawrence. 

I’ll have faith in whatever decision the new coaching staff decide and get fully behind whoever is QB1. 

• Upvote 2
Just now, British Jet said:

I can’t imagine this decision will be made until we’re on the clock. You can claim all you want that Darnold has a future here, but if the Jags go mental and take Fields we sure as hell aren’t passing on Lawrence. 

I’ll have faith in whatever decision the new coaching staff decide and get fully behind whoever is QB1. 

If they trade darnold it will likely be a few days before the draft.  

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, addage said:

I Highly doubt that will be a problem... certain teams will be clamoring for the #2 pick.

• Upvote 2

I have no doubt that this is the way they are currently leaning, but again, a final decision hasn't been made. 

Let's see where things stand after the new coaching staff carefully combs through the Sam's 3 years of tape and after the Jets have had a chance to thoroughly scout the QBs in this draft. 

• Upvote 4
9 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Losing is depressing. The process of winning will require difficult choices. I trust JD to not take shortcuts and build for sustainable success. If that means Darnold then so be it... I’ll support him all the way as long as we are winning

Boom

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
12 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Remember last offseason where CJ said they wanted Adams a Jet for life. How JD kept saying they will work out a deal for Adams and that he was a valued player.  They said that all the way to up when he wasn't a Jet anymore. 

Bottom line I won't believe anything I hear from the Jets , JD , Saleh or the talking heads about Darnold until after the 2021 draft unfolds. 

Certainly a good point.  But the Cimini article talks about what they said while interviewing HCs.  The PR public statements are different.  There's no expectation that they are telling you what they really believe.  I expect they have to be more realistic about they're thinking when talking to a coaching candidate.

And JD has certainly left himself a lot of wiggle room to go a different direction.

• Upvote 3
5 minutes ago, Yucatan Jetfan said:

Difference being Jamal acted like an ahole

Sent from my SM-J701M using Tapatalk

The driving point is that GM's don't give up their leverage by announcing to the world their intentions. It amazes that fans still fall for the analyst, media, talking head, insider source bull crap.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
4 minutes ago, addage said:

Certainly a good point.  But the Cimini article talks about what they said while interviewing HCs.  The PR public statements are different.  There's no expectation that they are telling you what they really believe.  I expect they have to be more realistic about they're thinking when talking to a coaching candidate.

And JD has certainly left himself a lot of wiggle room to go a different direction.

What who said ? I'm sure no media was present during their interviews. This is all speculation by Cimini. 

21 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

1 legit source hears it and posts it all the others pile on in different variations. 

This is  like when the rumors  of Gase being fired were coming from everyone.  When you keep hearing it over and over, it's  more likely true. 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

Honestly what’s depressing is that in the midst of a new coach hire and hopefully a new hopeful direction for this franchise, we have a number of posters who just cannot help but trash our QB as soon as he’s mentioned (or even when he’s not).  
I don’t mean to single you out flgreen, bc most of your posts I enjoy.  But there’s a contingent of posters that are taking the darnold hate to new levels and the constant derailing of every thread into darnold hate is getting old fast.

RESPECT THE SAFE SPACE PEOPLE

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Columbia Jet Fan said:

From all accounts - and the most trusted ones to me are @Mogglez and @football guy JD and the rest of his staff are high on Darnold. HOWEVER, if you were going to trade Sam and were totally done with him - they should be leaking the exact same info. 

They will absolutely be scouting the top QBs in the draft, and at the end of the day if they think Wilson or Fields (or even Lance) are THE guy, they're going to take him. A lot still needs to happen. The scouting department needs to get on the same page as the new coaches (once the staff is up to speed), and then they need to do interviews with players, workouts, etc. 

I have no idea if Sam will be our QB next year. But I am extremely confident no decision has been made. There is a lot of optimism on this board about JD and the new staff. If they ultimately elect to keep Sam, I think people on this board should have faith that guys we can trust are making that decision. Even if most of us (myself included) are hoping they move on....

And I'm extremely confident that even if a decision has been made, no one in the press is being told about it.  

• Upvote 4
1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

This is  like when the rumors  of Gase being fired were coming from everyone.  When you keep hearing it over and over, it's  more likely true. 

C'mon a blind squirrel could have predicted Gase would be fired. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Yes of course because all the times  @SAR I and @T0mShane defended Adam Gase that worked out well.