Cimini on Status of Sam Darnold

addage

2 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

From all accounts - and the most trusted ones to me are @Mogglez and @football guy JD and the rest of his staff are high on Darnold. HOWEVER, if you were going to trade Sam and were totally done with him - they should be leaking the exact same info. 

They will absolutely be scouting the top QBs in the draft, and at the end of the day if they think Wilson or Fields (or even Lance) are THE guy, they're going to take him. A lot still needs to happen. The scouting department needs to get on the same page as the new coaches (once the staff is up to speed), and then they need to do interviews with players, workouts, etc. 

I have no idea if Sam will be our QB next year. But I am extremely confident no decision has been made. There is a lot of optimism on this board about JD and the new staff. If they ultimately elect to keep Sam, I think people on this board should have faith that guys we can trust are making that decision. Even if most of us (myself included) are hoping they move on....

Sam being kept and improving to the point he is legit would be the best thing but it is going to be one Hell of turnaround for that to happen. It isn't  impossible  but it's  more unlikely to happen. I think JD and perhaps  Saleh just are not that impressed with Fields, Wilson, Lance, etc.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Drums said:

If they do keep him, they need to put a top team around him and maybe, maybe he can manage the game. Putting it on his shoulders to win a game is basically a guaranteed turnover. You don’t make the dumb mistakes he made in his third year and expect to turn it all around. Not gonna happen. 

Well, sounds a while lot like they’re banking on him turning it all around. 

I like Saleh, but to enter a search with the lens of already having decided what to do with the qb and judging candidates who buy into that is so messed up. 

At best, they’re banking on a large amount of risk with blind faith that his work ethic and drive with better coaching and talent around him will help turn things around. It’s hugely risky and if he falls anywhere short of being a franchise quarterback at the end of it, it is a flat out mistake if the goal is to win a championship. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Listen, JD Has had 2 seasons to evaluate Sam up front and live. He knows what he has in Sam. 

Whatever decision he makes on Sam it’s a well Informed one. As you all tell me “in jd you trust”

As Douglas has already said, it's not his decision to make. 

The new coaching staff will have a big say. 

They have to evaluate Sam and compare him to the QBs in this draft. Douglas then has to take that into account along with the financial/contract situation going forward. Long way to go. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Listen, JD Has had 2 seasons to evaluate Sam up front and live. He knows what he has in Sam. 

Whatever decision he makes on Sam it’s a well Informed one. As you all tell me “in jd you trust”

I am a JD supporter but well informed isn't the same as smart or right.

Time will tell.

43 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The more I'm hearing this from different sources,  the more legit it sounds. Not everyone would be reporting this if there wasn't a well placed source.

I still say a new HC with a high draft pick and legitimate QB's available would rather develop THAT QB rather than try to reclaim a QB that has regressed. Darnold looked MUCH better at the end of 2019 than at any time in 2020. The fact that Gase wouldn't allow him to change plays shows that Gase didn't trust Darnold to make the right decision. I trust JD and will try to put a positive spin on whatever decision he and Salah make.

• Upvote 1

This is not Saleh's decision.

JD has said he wants the coach to participate in the decision and that he is a consensus builder.  All well and good.  But this is his decision and he needs to be held accountable for how it goes.

You can do whatever you want Joe so long as you are right in what you choose!

4 minutes ago, QB1 said:

You sky is falling chicken littles need to realize that keeping Sam means 3-4 additional premium pick players on this team.

Keeping Sam lets the Jets trade down to acquire at least an extra 2nd this year and 1st next year. Plus it lets us use our first pick in a blue chip player like Pitts, Smith, etc.

Its not the end of the world

Honestly The only QB I was comfortable taking with the top 2 picks was obviously Lawrence.  Plus the opportunity to trade down a get a nice haul is very tough to pass up and with all the holes we have can rebuild this team much quicker 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

There WILL be a trade partner because someone will fall in love with 1. Fields, 2. Wilson or 3. Sewell.

It isn't the 8th pick this time, it's the 2nd.  2nd is alot easier to trade than where we've been in the past.

Worst case we get an all-world O-lineman prospect to play opposite Becton (regardless of who plays which side, not the big stinky issue detractors like to think it is) OR a world-class WR prospect to pair with Mims and Crowder and whomever else we draft/sign.  

Oh no, the humanity.

LOL.

For once, draft wise, WE'RE sitting in the catbird seat.

Absolutely.  We are in a great position 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Alentador31 said:

It is not out of the realm of possibility that we keep Darnold, trade back, AND draft a QB we like. 

It's a definite possibility we keep Sam and draft a QB.  Where we draft that QB is the question.  It could still be at 2 or lower on a trade down.  And it would depend on which QB would be available.  Ideally, we trade down to get some extra draft capital and are still able to grab someone like Wilson.

• Upvote 3

If JD's philosophy is to build a roster then get the franchise qb, then it makes sense to trade down this year, stack the roster and address the qb in next years draft.

Darnold returning next year would purely be as a placeholder for one more year.  No matter what darnold does next year, there is no way joe D is signing him to a long term contract.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Remember last offseason where CJ said they wanted Adams a Jet for life. How JD kept saying they will work out a deal for Adams and that he was a valued player.  They said that all the way to up when he wasn't a Jet anymore. 

Bottom line I won't believe anything I hear from the Jets , JD , Saleh or the talking heads about Darnold until after the 2021 draft unfolds. 

That strategy ultimately worked in the Jets and JD’s favor. His insistence that Jamal would be a forever Jet increased his value. More likely, by crowning Jamal as the best safety since Ronnie Lott, JD was just able to sucker a rival GM.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

black and white woman GIF by xavieralopez

As with the coach search less than a week ago, the situation is fluid. 

Most if not all of the most emphatic strongly held beliefs shared right here on this board are conjecture.

Right now based on multiple reports, some from two posters almost all of us trust... it appears the Jet's FO are leaning towards Sam Darnold getting one more last bite at the cherry.

While unlikely, it's possible that our front office direction may change 180 degrees; with free agency, as yet unknown trade  offers, a certain unhappy QB trying to force his way out of town, or simply more information accumulated  post combine, pre-draft etc.

Not one of us knows for certain. I imagine Joe Douglas has a strong feelings about where he is steering the franchise but situations change; there are 105 days or so to the draft.

Let's enjoy the unknown...

• Upvote 1

the thing is it's going to be awfully tough to move on from a guy who has had some success for 3 seasons playing in the nfl who's still on his rookie deal.  unless they draft a qb that can step right in there isn't much advantage to cutting darnold loose, at least just yet.  things may change if there's a good vet that wants a trade or even a current back up that's deemed better than darnold.  the thing too is that no matter what qb is playing they will need the same oline and skil player upgrades that darnold does.  the rest of the team doesn't stop because of who the qb is.

• Upvote 2

I will say this- we can’t under any circumstances pick a non QB at 2. I’d rather draft a QB and start Darnold. It’s trade down for a haul or take a QB. Im sure JD sees it the same way. The fact that the jets are non commital on Darnold tells you everything you need to know. Right now JD is waiting for two things 

1) see what trade offers are out there for #2 

2) see if he falls in love with a QB in this draft 

Until JD has clarity on those two things nothing will be decided 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If JD's philosophy is to build a roster then get the franchise qb, then it makes sense to trade down this year, stack the roster and address the qb in next years draft.

Darnold returning next year would purely be as a placeholder for one more year.  No matter what darnold does next year, there is no way joe D is signing him to a long term contract.

I wouldn't say it doesn't matter what Darnold does next year.  If he miraculously becomes a top QB in the new system, they certainly would considerate it.  But there's no way they exercise that 5th year option on him before the season starts.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Gangrene said:

black and white woman GIF by xavieralopez

As with the coach search less than a week ago, the situation is fluid. 

Most if not all of the most emphatic strongly held beliefs shared right here on this board are conjecture.

Right now based on multiple reports, some from two posters almost all of us trust... it appears the Jet's FO are leaning towards Sam Darnold getting one more last bite at the cherry.

While unlikely, it's possible that our front office direction may change 180 degrees; with free agency, as yet unknown trade  offers, a certain unhappy QB trying to force his way out of town, or simply more information accumulated  post combine, pre-draft etc.

Not one of us knows for certain. I imagine Joe Douglas has a strong feelings about where he is steering the franchise but situations change; there are 105 days or so to the draft.

Let's enjoy the unknown...

Absolutely.  None of us know what the end result will be.  Like I’ve said many times I’m on board with either decision.  I admit I really want to trade down I feel it’s a rare opportunity to build this team very quick without ha big to spend a ton of money on 2-3 players like in years past.  I agree I do think they still have belief in Sam.  They have all acknowledged that Sam was put in a dreadful situation.  Now that doesn’t mean Sam doesn’t have issues he needs to fix I am the first to admit that.  But this idea that he sucks and the situation holds no bearing on his struggles is a bit silly when you look at the type of roster and coaches we have had these past 2 years ? 

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

What is douglas supposed to say to HC candidates, that darnold obviously sucks and that they intend to trade him?  

He will say what he will say: ‘Sam’s the future of our franchise. We believe in Sam. He’s a great kid’.

Jets trade Darnold for 2nd rounder:

JD: We really liked Sam. We had high hopes and wanted to move forward with him. But we just felt it was in the best interest of the team to start fresh and we got a really good offer for him. We wish him the best in his career’. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

I wouldn't say it doesn't matter what Darnold does next year.  If he miraculously becomes a top QB in the new system, they certainly would considerate it.  But there's no way they exercise that 5th year option on him before the season starts.

I disagree.  I dont want to be the tennesse titans who fell for the tannehill charade and are not stuck with the guy who cant win a big game.

Guys like tannehill, cousins etc have played well enough to get teams to buy in.  Thats darnolds ceiling.  I dont care if he throws 35 tds next year.  We will not win any big games with him.

Joe D is too smart to fall for that.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, QB1 said:

I will say this- we can’t under any circumstances pick a non QB at 2. I’d rather draft a QB and start Darnold. It’s trade down for a haul or take a QB. Im sure JD sees it the same way. The fact that the jets are non commital on Darnold tells you everything you need to know. Right now JD is waiting for two things 

1) see what trade offers are out there for #2 

2) see if he falls in love with a QB in this draft 

Until JD has clarity on those two things nothing will be decided 

Me personally the only QB I would ha retaken in the top 2 is Lawrence that’s just me.  But like I said if JD did go QB at 2 I’m ready to roll with it.  My first preference is to trade down though unless the offers aren’t enticing enough