Cimini on Status of Sam Darnold

addage

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

What who said ? I'm sure no media was present during their interviews. This is all speculation by Cimini. 

“Two candidates who interviewed for the head-coaching vacancy, reached by ESPN, came away with the impression Darnold remains the preference of the team's hierarchy”

• Upvote 2

This is hard to hear.  He has done nothing but get lots of people traded or fired.  He is somehow immune to the mistakes he continues to make game after game.  His canned response of "I need to look at film and fix it" is the exact same response Sanchez used to give.  The fan base has grown tired of him.  He will be heavy criticized next season if we keep him.  If he plays poorly early in the season, the new coach is going to have his hands full with fans and media and we will have shelled out 25 million for that privilege.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

It isn't the 8th pick this time, it's the 2nd.  2nd is alot easier to trade than where we've been 

Looking at the history of the draft, it's actually quite rare to trade up all the way to 2 (or 1). It happens maybe twice a decade and the team at 2 has to have a credible case to make that player isn't getting to 3

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

The only thing that would piss me off is if we stay at 2 and take the LT with our first pick just like we did last year. Trade back a few spots and pick Chase or Smith if you don't grab Wilson at 2 and with the picks you acquire grab a PR, center, corner and possibly and elite RB. If you keep Sam you have to give him an elite weapon - or go in another direction.

If the "worst" case scenario is taking a tackle touted as one of the best in a couple decades then we're fine.

Much will depend on FA.  Lets say they get Robinson and Kendrick Bourne in FA to go along with Mims and Crowder.  If that happens then you can justify taking Sewell at 2 (if no trade offers) and a RB with the late first or 2nd.

HUGE upgrades on the offense setting up a no excuse season for Sam.  It could be a dramatic turn around.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

I still say a new HC with a high draft pick and legitimate QB's available would rather develop THAT QB rather than try to reclaim a QB that has regressed. Darnold looked MUCH better at the end of 2019 than at any time in 2020. The fact that Gase wouldn't allow him to change plays shows that Gase didn't trust Darnold to make the right decision. I trust JD and will try to put a positive spin on whatever decision he and Salah make.

To put stock into the notion Gase didn't  allow Darnold to audible woukd assume Gase was actually competent at his job.

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Looking at the history of the draft, it's actually quite rare to trade up all the way to 2 (or 1). It happens maybe twice a decade and the team at 2 has to have a credible case to make that player isn't getting to 3

Sewell, Miami and Cincinnati.

Any QB two teams really want.

Both could happen.

Nothing is a sure thing, but again, with T.L. a near-100% pick at #1, we control this Draft thereafter.  If we're smart.

11 minutes ago, NamathToCaster said:

This is hard to hear.  He has done nothing but get lots of people traded or fired.  He is somehow immune to the mistakes he continues to make game after game.  His canned response of "I need to look at film and fix it" is the exact same response Sanchez used to give.  The fan base has grown tired of him.  He will be heavy criticized season if we keep him.  If he plays poorly early in the season, the new coach is going to have his hands full with fans and media and we will have shelled out 25 million for that privilege.

He's still on his rookie contract and only costs them $10M or so.  2022 year is the year that the mess starts with his contract.  The contract situation is one of the BIG reasons he should be moved this year.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

It was reported by Schefter before Saleh was hired.  

He repeated that it would be Darnold the night Saleh was hired.

Somehow I dont believe that a source reported that Saleh and JD wanted to keep Sam an hour or so after Saleh was hired.

I'd bet the house that is a well played guess.  Sam has played in a form of this offense in his rookie year and showed a lot of promise and it would be beneficial to the Jets to use every draft asset on players not another QB.

Funny to @joewilly12s post.  Cimini on the year ending SNY Jet Nation show said that Sam was gone, wouldnt be back and would be traded.  Now his ESPN buddy says something else and Cimini jumps on board.

If Schefter says it and says like he knows it as he did in that video, I give it a lot of weight. The fact that others are jumping on board just means they agree with him because of his solid record  on this stuff. 

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sewell, Miami and Cincinnati.

Any QB two teams really want.

Both could happen.

Nothing is a sure thing, but again, with T.L. a near-100% pick at #1, we control this Draft thereafter.  If we're smart.

I hope there's a trade up market, i don't suspect there is one, except for Sewell or maybe Smith

the internetz are higher on Fields/Wilson than the scouts are 

Miami taking Sewell makes zero sense, even less than the Jets. Cinci getting him at 5 also makes zero sense. Atlanta is sticking with Matt Ryan for another year at least. 

the Jets can trade sewell but it feels like Orlando Pace all over again 

I’m sure JD does like Sam a lot, and I’m sure he has a total score and value placed on Sam. I am sure he probably likes Fields too and has a score and value on him. JD is going to probably test the market on Sam as well as the value of the #2 pick and decide whether he keeps Sam and trades down or trades Sam and drafts Fields. Chances are it’ll be one or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I hope there's a trade up market, i don't suspect there is one, except for Sewell or maybe Smith

the internetz are higher on Fields/Wilson than the scouts are 

Miami taking Sewell makes zero sense, even less than the Jets. Cinci getting him at 5 also makes zero sense. Atlanta is sticking with Matt Ryan for another year at least. 

the Jets can trade sewell but it feels like Orlando Pace all over again 

/shrug

Guess we'll see.  

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Joe Douglas: The Plan Is for Jamal Adams to Be a Jet for Life

Feb 25, 2020 at 02:45 PM

Bingo!

I say this all the time. Teams routinely leak out BS to reporters to get teams like the Seahawks to give up more in a trade or to get teams lower in the draft to think the Jets may go Sewell or Smith when they are likely interested in Wilson or Fields. Why? Perhaps to get a team like the Bengals or Falcons to trade up with the Jets and we are still in position to get Wilson or Fields at 4/5.

I am not saying it's impossible for the Jets to still like Darnold. They may, in the same way Mcvay liked Goff, a limited QB, who can be a winning QB in the right environment. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Kiper says the Jets like Darnold  and Cinci will have to trade up to 2 to take Sewell or the Jets will take him 

"WHAT DOES HE KNOW. HE'S JUST A HAIR HELMET" 

McShay says his old college football teammate Joe Douglas likes Darnold more than most and they are looking seriously at Sewell. Puts Fields at 15 in his mock. 

"WHAT DOES HE KNOW? TV SCOUT, HAIR...CUT" 

Schefter says Jets want to make a big trade deal and he expects Darnold to start there in 2021

"HEY DUDE NICE BOOKSHELF ON ZOOM! ONLY LOSERS READ BOOKS"  

Cimini says two guys who didn't get the coaching job told him the Jets really still like Darnold 

"HES JUST REPEATING THE OTHER GUYS"

Someone else says Saleh wants to run a playaction heavy offense

"YEAH THATS WHY THEY NEED TO DRAFT A QB WHO KNOWS HOW TO MAKE THAT FUNNY LITTLE HAND MOTION THAT TOTALLY FOOLS DEFENSES"

at what point do the QB at 2 crowd look at the facts and say, hey, maybe what I want and what's going to happen aren't the same thing? 

given recent events, i'm guessing never 

or maybe a month after they draft someone else 

Look I respect others opinions.  If they want to draft A QB at 2 I respect their opinion.  In the end that may very well happen. My only issue is that they seem to have a lot of venom toward Sam or say”He sucks and will never be a legit QB” without taking into account the fact that he had had easily the worst head coaching and worst rosters in the NFL for 3 years 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, NamathToCaster said:

This is hard to hear.  He has done nothing but get lots of people traded or fired.  He is somehow immune to the mistakes he continues to make game after game.  His canned response of "I need to look at film and fix it" is the exact same response Sanchez used to give.  The fan base has grown tired of him.  He will be heavy criticized season if we keep him.  If he plays poorly early in the season, the new coach is going to have his hands full with fans and media and we will have shelled out 25 million for that privilege.

Gase has a horrible track record of developing qb’s. Actually he has a horrible track record of utilizing talented players. I know a ton of guys want to draft a new QB but the only guy that is a total upgrade in this draft is Trevor Lawrence. We watched that ship sail. The other two hot prospects are just as risky as keeping Sam. While I’m not sure if Sam can pull off a Tannenhill turn around, guys like him, drake, devonte Parker and etc. show that gase was absolutely horrible when It came to putting his talented players into position to succeed. This organization wants to build a winner and while having a good to great qb is def important, you aren’t winning 3 games in a row in January with just a good QB. You need talent everywhere. Look at most of the teams that made the playoffs this year. There are no Peyton manning / Colts type teams where the QB is putting their entire team on his back. The teams that are left are stacked. Building this roster up is a much smarter play than the GM and new coach risking everything on another qb at this stage.

Also, why does everyone think that a QB must be drafted this year? Why can’t we draft a new QB next year? There are more QB’s starting in the league that were drafted around pick 10 or later than their are qb’s picked inside the top 5. We sent 3 number 2’s and the 6th overall pick to Indy to get Sam, might as well give him a shot in an offense that has proven to work. If he falls short, if we trade out especially, we’ll have plenty of amo in the 2022 draft to find our guy.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There doesn't need to be more than "just" Sewell or Smith. How often are there 5 guys teams want to trade up for at 2? We are actually lucky that Sewell is available. The whole thesis behind the trade up has been centered on a team like the Bengals REALLY wanting Sewell. And it's also possible another team falls more in love with Fields than we are. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, addage said:

Here is what Rich Cimini had to say:

Now that the New York Jets have reached an agreement in principle to have Robert Saleh as their new coach, the focus shifts to quarterback Sam Darnold, whose poor play during the 2020 NFL season has fueled speculation about his future with the team.

Saleh will have a big say in that decision, as he should, but the early indications are Darnold will return. Two candidates who interviewed for the head-coaching vacancy, reached by ESPN, came away with the impression Darnold remains the preference of the team's hierarchy.

"They like him a lot," one candidate told ESPN.

There is plenty of time for their thinking to change.  But assuming they continue this line of thinking, trading down seems the most logical plan.  So the big question is:  what happens if there is no suitable trading partner?  Sewell or Devonta Smith seem the most logical choices right now, a single position player only fills one hole (assuming they get it right).

A trade from 2 to 4 has a point difference of 800.  That suggests an additional 2nd and a 3rd and possibly a bit more.  Some of that point value could be pushed into 2022.

I said it before that the fact that Darnold was a person of character within the building matters.

To me, the fact that Darnold never once pointed a finger at managment in a year when Jamal Adams shot his way off the Jets by attacking the coaching staff and the organization would be a factor in whether or not Sam returns.

Now whether it should be considered by the Jets is one thing that is certainly debatable, but it will be considered.

Human Relationships matter......

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Kiper says the Jets like Darnold  and Cinci will have to trade up to 2 to take Sewell or the Jets will take him 

"WHAT DOES HE KNOW. HE'S JUST A HAIR HELMET" 

McShay says his old college football teammate Joe Douglas likes Darnold more than most and they are looking seriously at Sewell. Puts Fields at 15 in his mock. 

"WHAT DOES HE KNOW? TV SCOUT, HAIR...CUT" 

Schefter says Jets want to make a big trade deal and he expects Darnold to start there in 2021

"HEY DUDE NICE BOOKSHELF ON ZOOM! ONLY LOSERS READ BOOKS"  

Cimini says two guys who didn't get the coaching job told him the Jets really still like Darnold 

"HES JUST REPEATING THE OTHER GUYS"

Someone else says Saleh wants to run a playaction heavy offense

"YEAH THATS WHY THEY NEED TO DRAFT A QB WHO KNOWS HOW TO MAKE THAT FUNNY LITTLE HAND MOTION THAT TOTALLY FOOLS DEFENSES"

at what point do the QB at 2 crowd look at the facts and say, hey, maybe what I want and what's going to happen aren't the same thing? 

given recent events, i'm guessing never 

or maybe a month after they draft someone else 

All valid points and anyone that is 100pct convinced the Jets are taking a QB at 2 is setting themselves up for disappointment especially if the Jets don't love Fields/Wilson. But I still think it's foolish to listen to all the noise before the draft when history also tells us that teams lie ALL the time leading up to the draft. Especially when we are dealing with a guy like Joe Douglas who tried to convince us how much he loved Adams and wanted him here for life only to turn around and trade him a few days later.  

• Upvote 2

Or — JD is as good as we all hope and used candidates to get the message out that the team is high on Darnold to increase trade value and lay a smokescreen about draft plans to ensure maximum flexibility. Also good to put candidates on notice sticking with Sam is an option to set expectations with your new HC. Smart.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Joe Douglas: The Plan Is for Jamal Adams to Be a Jet for Life

Feb 25, 2020 at 02:45 PM

People are overcomplicating this.  The situation with Sam is not a lot different than it was with Jamal.  If Seattle didn't drop a treasure chest on JD's desk, Jamal WOULD LIKELY STILL BE A JET.  So if SF, or Pittsburgh or Chicago or some team in the QB market likes Sam and drops a bag of gold on JD's desk, welcome Zack Wilson.  If they value Sam the way many on this site do, and offer JD a bag of d***ks, get ready for Year #4 of the Darnold experiment...

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

All valid points and anyone that is 100pct convinced the Jets are taking a QB at 2 is setting themselves up for disappointment especially if the Jets don't love Fields/Wilson. But I still think it's foolish to listen to all the noise before the draft when history also tells us that teams lie ALL the time leading up to the draft. Especially when we are dealing with a guy like Joe Douglas who tried to convince us how much he loved Adams and wanted him here for life only to turn around and trade him a few days later.  

not against a QB or predicting they wont take one ever again

the QB value at 2 is concerning. JD wants to maximize value. 

maybe they take Sewell and trade back into the rd to get Fields, if that's their dude

proving Darnold stinks is not the same as proving there's a QB at 2 worth that pick 

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Or — JD is as good as we all hope and used candidates to get the message out that the team is high on Darnold to increase trade value and lay a smokescreen about draft plans to ensure maximum flexibility. Also good to put candidates on notice sticking with Sam is an option to set expectations with your new HC. Smart.

Or maybe they still do like Sam or don’t value fields or Wilson ad high as Some do.  The fact of the matter is nobody knows what they are thinking or if they have even made a decision yet.  Most likely they still aren’t sure yet.  It’s way too early 

I don't get the freak out on this point. Saleh and Douglas both have 5 years to turn around the franchise and know that the QB position is a vital piece of that and Sam's contract is another. They have EVERY incentive to get this right and scrutinize this deeply - nothing about the methodical way Douglas has played his time at the team would make you think different. 

If they stick with Darnold, with Saleh, Douglas and Lafleur having evaluated him, Fields and Wilson (who supposedly comes in with mastery of Lafleurs offense from BYU already) when doing so comes at a higher hard financial cost it's cause they'll believe the combination of Darnold in Lafleur's offense with a better line and receivers works out best for us. 

Even as someone who thinks Darnold has had a raw deal I find it unlikely that's what ultimately happens because of the financial flexibility that would come from restarting the qb contract clock. The reality is that they need to keep their options open while they get to the combine and building credibility that they feel great about Sam is the best way to do so. 

I expect Saleh to say this week that he and JD and Lafleur will be thorough in their QB decision but will need to meet with and workout all options prior to making a call. Anything else restricts their options in all directions. 

Stream hit it perfectly though - if they go Darnold route after a trade down they will probably have three 1s next year and be able to fix it then, with the confidence that they kicked the tires on Wilson and Fields before making their call. 

Which begs the question: can Saleh and Lafleur meet with Darnold during the off-season? Or is that one of those forbidden things in the cba?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

In sports teams win because they have high end talent on the roster not because of the the coach/Manager. Yanks are in playoffs every year and Mets are not. Its the Yanks high end roster not Boone, Gerardi or Torre. The Met's have been unsuccessful because of poor talent not the merry go round of managers. The Jets last year had arguably worst talent in the league. It has been reported by many that only 5 players on their roster would start on any other team. No coach or manager can succeed with poor talent. Yet in sports when a team loses the heat always falls on the manager/coach. Prognosticators before season said Jets had no talent and were a 3-6 win team. Gase gets crushed for not winning with no talent when Belichick, Lombardi , and Shula all coaching the team at the same time would not win more than 3 games. No coach can motivate,  game plan or establish that mythical, nonsensical "winning Culture" and turn a team with bad talent into into a winning team. Organizations that win are said to have established a "winning culture" which they are anointed with after they win. News flash, all winning teams have high end talent which is why they win not because of any nonsensical  "winning culture". Unless the Jets materially upgrade the talent the new flavor of the month coach will lose and suffer the same fate as Gase, Bowles, etc. and the fans, sports radio and the press who should know better will crush him and management for not winning. If the Jets don't win it will be because Douglas failed to up grade the talent and not because of the coach.   

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2