Cimini on Status of Sam Darnold

addage

1 hour ago, Pac said:

If the "worst" case scenario is taking a tackle touted as one of the best in a couple decades then we're fine.

Much will depend on FA.  Lets say they get Robinson and Kendrick Bourne in FA to go along with Mims and Crowder.  If that happens then you can justify taking Sewell at 2 (if no trade offers) and a RB with the late first or 2nd.

HUGE upgrades on the offense setting up a no excuse season for Sam.  It could be a dramatic turn around.

A highly respected scout that was around two Hall of Fame tackles doesn't even have him listed as his top tackle. If you are generational you are at least the consensus #1 at your position like Trevor Lawrence is. Also, why would Allen Robinson come here if he just got through playing with Trubisky and other below average QBs - he wants to play with a top QB. Sam was rated lower than Mitch. So, if we keep Sam, we need to draft a #1 weapon for him at receiver since we may not be able to sign a top FA at that position. Trade back a few spots and take Chase or Smith if Chase is gone. The Oline can be fixed by drafting a center, moving McGovern to guard and signing another guard via free agency. Don't be foolish and draft the same position you drafted last year - we have too many holes to fill and our issue was the interior of the line and lack of a true #1 receiver.

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Not really i would rather draft DeVonta Smith or JaMaar Chase a top WR. 

If we keep Sam this is a must. I really don't think a top free agent WR will want to come here with Sam at QB aside from Juju. Sam needs to prove himself first. At least we know Allen Robinson won't go back to Jacksonville. :)  I can't see him wanting to go from Mitch to Sam.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

As Douglas has already said, it's not his decision to make. 

The new coaching staff will have a big say. 

They have to evaluate Sam and compare him to the QBs in this draft. Douglas then has to take that into account along with the financial/contract situation going forward. Long way to go. 

He’s the GM. His job is to fill out the roster.

The coaches job is to turn the roster into wins on the field.

JD has a big vote here 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

He’s the GM. His job is to fill out the roster.

The coaches job is to turn the roster into wins on the field.

JD has a big vote here 

No question. 

I'm just saying that it's a joint decision and Douglas isn't going to saddle his coach with a QB that he doesn't want (whether that is Darnold OR Fields/Wilson/whoever). 

They are going to get everyone on the same page before they make that decision. And they still have so much time to make it. 

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Larz said:

lol cimini has no contacts on the jets 

Yep. Judging by how badly they botched the HC coverage, I’d say the media is just throwing stuff at the wall to see if something sticks. It’s lying season now. If you hear buzz, it’s probably because they want you to hear it. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

This

Hell, the Jets might even be able to entice a team not looking for a QB like the Bengals to move up for Sewell.

That would be just about perfect for me. The Jets drop back 3 spots, pick up an additional 2nd this year and an extra 1st next year and draft a DeVonta Smith or Ja’Marr Chase at #5.

Then you still have 3 additional picks in the Top 40 alone.

And you have 3 1st rounders in your back pocket next year so if Darnold falls flat on his face, you have the ammo to make a move for someone like Howell if need be.

Thank you....

Dear Heavenly Father finally someone thinking!!! :) 

black and white dark GIF

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

The Jets are open minded about how to approach the QB position. The front office and coaching staff are aligned in thinking that Sam Darnold is a legitimate QB who has the potential to be an upper enchelon quarterback
Stopped reading after this

That’s because you’re ignorant

• Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

From all accounts - and the most trusted ones to me are @Mogglez and @football guy JD and the rest of his staff are high on Darnold. HOWEVER, if you were going to trade Sam and were totally done with him - they should be leaking the exact same info. 

They will absolutely be scouting the top QBs in the draft, and at the end of the day if they think Wilson or Fields (or even Lance) are THE guy, they're going to take him. A lot still needs to happen. The scouting department needs to get on the same page as the new coaches (once the staff is up to speed), and then they need to do interviews with players, workouts, etc. 

I have no idea if Sam will be our QB next year. But I am extremely confident no decision has been made. There is a lot of optimism on this board about JD and the new staff. If they ultimately elect to keep Sam, I think people on this board should have faith that guys we can trust are making that decision. Even if most of us (myself included) are hoping they move on....

It’s not leaks. It’s an organizational plan. If a team traded a 1st for Sam they’d probably take it. If not, they’ll keep him. 

4 hours ago, flgreen said:

I never understood the "suck for Sam" thing that sweep the board that draft.  At the time I had Darnold as the #3 QB in the draft.   With that said, I never hated the kid.  He seems to be a very nice person.  His personality some what won me over, and I was really rooting for him to succeed.  As a mater of fact I have several posts from before the season started thinking/hoping  this would be the year he took a step forward.  He didn't

Yes, I know the Jets sucked this year.  It is very difficult for a QB to succeed when the team sucks.  I get it.  But he wasn't so much a victim of the suckage, as he was a major contributor to it. The kid just seems to have horrible field vision.  I'm not sure that is fixable.  Go look at some of the overhead tape where you can see the whole field.  I can't count the times there has been a WR with a step on a CB, or wide open, and Sam doesn't see him, holds the ball to long, then throws it into coverage.  It's madding.  lol

If this was a year that the Jets were picking in the middle of the draft, I'd probably be all right with letting Sam play out the last year of his rookie contract.  That's not the situation.

IMO there might be 3 QB's at 2 who are a big upstep from Darnold .  Jets need to get one.  They may not be in that good of a situation again for a very long time.   They will be an improved team next year with, or without Darnold.     IMO Darnold is going to have a Sanchez like career.  Be good enough to hang around the league for 10 or so years, but never be the guy.

Jets have a rare opportunity to get a good QB to build around, do it.

That’s your opinion though. Most people would disagree with you. Wilson/Fields are the 4th-6th QBs in that draft... honestly. It was a once-a-decade class. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

I hope there's a trade up market, i don't suspect there is one, except for Sewell or maybe Smith

the internetz are higher on Fields/Wilson than the scouts are 

Miami taking Sewell makes zero sense, even less than the Jets. Cinci getting him at 5 also makes zero sense. Atlanta is sticking with Matt Ryan for another year at least. 

the Jets can trade sewell but it feels like Orlando Pace all over again 

So what's worse Orlando Pace or Deshaun Watson/Mahomes ? No one but you even brings up Pace , most Jet fans point out missing on the Qb's - Why ?    Because its the most important position on the field. 

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Again if he's highly touted , he'll be out of reach for the Jets next year unless they want to part with multiple assets. 

That’s fine

If Darnold sh*ts his pants with a much improved supporting cast, then go get the QB that you want in 2022.

At least you won’t be marching him into a meat grinder and smashing his confidence from the get-go.

I’m sure in addition to Howell, Rattler, etc there will also be yet another QB that comes out of the blue, elevates himeself from 3rd round pick to Top 10 pick and makes people go googoo gaga just like Mayfield, Zach Wilson, and so on.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

That’s fine

If Darnold sh*ts his pants with a much improved supporting cast, then go get the QB that you want in 2022.

At least you won’t be marching him into a meat grinder and smashing his confidence from the get-go.

No instead you'll be giving away precious draft picks that would help continue to build the team. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

No instead you'll be giving away precious draft picks that would help continue to build the team. 

You could receive multiple additional assets both present and future by trading down from #2 and taking a DeVonta Smith or Ja’Marr Chase thus solving the #1 WR dilemma that we’ve had for decades.

Neither Fields nor Wilson are some kind of can’t miss, generational talents at the position.

Dudes like this roll down the pike damn near every year.

• Upvote 1

That’s fine

And that's why the Jets might consider keeping Darnold (can't be much trade value for the 32nd QB in the league) and still take a QB at 2.   Let him face the meat grinder while the team matures, and starts playing together.  

• Post of the Week 2

6 minutes ago, flgreen said:

And that's why the Jets might consider keeping Darnold (can't be much trade value for the 32nd QB in the league) and still take a QB at 2.   Let him face the meat grinder while the team matures, and starts playing together.  

It’s possible, but I highly doubt it.

I still say the Jets are either A.) Rolling with Darnold and trading down or B.) Taking Wilson/Fields at #2 and trading Darnold to the highest bidder.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

BING GO!!Indeed this is what the Jets should have done with Geno Smith and Sanchez for example.  While Smith proved not to the answer, the Jets ruined any chance Smith had by throwing him out there too soon with a terrible OL, skill players etc. before you had a chance to develop him in any way........... Not derailing the thread! :) 

Just showing how the Jets continued to make silly moves in the past.

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

You could receive multiple additional assets both present and future by trading down from #2 and taking a DeVonta Smith or Ja’Marr Chase thus solving the #1 WR dilemma that we’ve had for decades.

Neither Fields nor Wilson are some kind of can’t miss, generational talents at the position.

Dudes like this roll down the pike damn near every year.

Disagree , way too many people are using the fact that the Jets missed out on Lawrence to dump on the other QB's in this class.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Disagree , way too many people are using the fact that the Jets missed out on Lawrence to dump on the other QB's in this class.

Zach Wilson was considered to be a 3rd round pick until a couple of months ago and has since shot up draft boards.

Identical to Mayfield during his last season at Oklahoma.

Fields has always been considered big time, but if those games against Indiana and Northwestern (as well as the Natty, despite being banged up) didn’t leave a bad taste in your mouth, well, I don’t know what to tell you.

Some of you guys just seem so desperate to move on from Darnold that you’ll seemingly buy into nearly any of these guys as the franchise savior.

There is even a contingent that wants Trey Lance for Christ sake. A dude with less than 20 starts for a Div II powerhouse. And unless you live in Fargo, I doubt anyone has seen much if anything of the kid outside of YouTube highlights.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

It’s possible, but I highly doubt it.

I still say the Jets are either A.) Rolling with Darnold and trading down or B.) Taking Wilson/Fields at #2 and trading Darnold to the highest bidder.

As you said  posible.

I'm going to guess that Douglas is going to take the same tact he did with Adams.  Put an unreasonably high price on Darnold (perhaps a 1, or it's equivalent) and perhaps the #2 pick.  If someone steps up and pays the ransome, he'll trade.  

31 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I think this is more of a possibility than people are thinking. Darnold's value is at an all time low right now. There is an argument to be made to not pick up his 5th year option, take a QB at 2 and let Darnold start next year while the rookie sits and learns for a year (like Mahomes did). If Darnold plays well next year, they can still tag him and then trade either him or the rookie for multiple 1st rounders. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, derp said:

Hopefully Douglas is putting on his poker face regarding the quarterback situation. No benefit to saying they don’t like Darnold. If there are pre-draft visits those should be telling.

Telling how?

I fully expect the Jets to have pre-draft visits with Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, etc regardless of whether they’re sticking with Darnold or not.

Telling how?

I fully expect the Jets to have pre-draft visits with Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, etc regardless of whether they’re sticking with Darnold or not.

Pre-draft visits have historically been limited to 30 so that would be a monumental waste of an important resource if they’re not planning on taking a quarterback, particularly since they have draft capital spread around.

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Telling how?

If pre-draft visits will be permitted. 

• Upvote 1