Jump to content

Great Video Breakdown by Baldy- 49's running attack


Recommended Posts

That was a great watch.

To go along with the scheme you need some key players to make a lot of that work.  You need a double threat TE, who can scare the other team in the passing game and be a great blocker. (Jets don't have one)  You need a really good fullback (jets don't have one).  You need a Qb who is exceptional at selling the play action pass fake. (jets QB's have not shown the ability to do this.)

This is not to say we can;t get these players and coach them up but a lot of the success of these plays is due to players posing a threat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Definitely agree that once we went the Shanny offense route, we can probably rule out Najee & Etienne.

Day 3 RB's are far more likely. 

Disagree 

If we keep Sam Darnold we will need a viable playmaker RB. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Disagree 

If we keep Sam Darnold we will need a viable playmaker RB. 

I'll reword this and say that if we keep Sam Darnold we will need a viable playmaking running game.  That doesn't necessarily mean a high-end, 1st round RB type.  Who knows, the Jets might be fine adding Wilson from SF as a FA to the group of Perine and Ty Johnson, and building the running game by drafting OLine and TE.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The great thing with this Shannahan running system is that historically, very few of the RBs that thrive in it are high picks or stars. I mean, Jeff Wilson, Raheem Mostert for the 49ers is just a recent example... look back all the way to Mike Shanny’s days. Kubiak. The guys they’ve turned into studs. It’s exciting.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I think this dude could be a nice compliment to Perine and gettable with one of our third round picks. Dude has vision.

 

These mock draft sites are a bit unrealistic about who may or may not be available and trades could happen, but here's what I came up with trading down twice and taking Carter in the early 3rd.  LaFleur gets his "Kittle" with Kyle Pitts.

1800970076_ScreenShot2021-01-16at4_15_49PM.png.ccbde1a75a84d3ed96dbb717f2225ea7.png

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

That was a great watch.

To go along with the scheme you need some key players to make a lot of that work.  You need a double threat TE, who can scare the other team in the passing game and be a great blocker. (Jets don't have one)  You need a really good fullback (jets don't have one).  You need a Qb who is exceptional at selling the play action pass fake. (jets QB's have not shown the ability to do this.)

This is not to say we can;t get these players and coach them up but a lot of the success of these plays is due to players posing a threat.

Is Mims our Debo Samuel? Debo is so physical I hope Mims can be used in the same way. Herndon is not the answer atTE and we don’t have a FB who’s a solid blocker and good getting the tough yards and catching out of the backfield. Qb= NO

In conclusion we are not the 49ers!!

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

These mock draft sites are a bit unrealistic about who may or may not be available and trades could happen, but here's what I came up with trading down twice and taking Carter in the early 3rd.  LaFleur gets his "Kittle" with Kyle Pitts.

1800970076_ScreenShot2021-01-16at4_15_49PM.png.ccbde1a75a84d3ed96dbb717f2225ea7.png

Just read on one of these draft websites that Pitts is a willing and enthusiastic blocker, which I believe would be important for this Shanny offense.

I’m definitely comfortable entertaining a trade down scenario and picking up Pitts in the process. 

Also am happy with Cosmi, Toney, Adebo and of course, Carter. We’re real early in the process, but now that we have a coach, we can start to game out prospects that fit. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

That was a great watch.

To go along with the scheme you need some key players to make a lot of that work.  You need a double threat TE, who can scare the other team in the passing game and be a great blocker. (Jets don't have one)  You need a really good fullback (jets don't have one).  You need a Qb who is exceptional at selling the play action pass fake. (jets QB's have not shown the ability to do this.)

This is not to say we can;t get these players and coach them up but a lot of the success of these plays is due to players posing a threat.

Wesco played a hybrid position in College, I would him give a shot & see how he does.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Definitely agree that once we went the Shanny offense route, we can probably rule out Najee & Etienne.

Day 3 RB's are far more likely. 

The Shanahan tree speaks to this. Shanny Senior was a master at this. Terrell Davis was a 6th round pick and ran for over 2,000 yards. He gets hurt, no problem.  Plug and play.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Alentador31 said:

TY Johnson will have a breakout year in this scheme 

I agree... I'm not sure people noticed how aggressively he was hitting the holes in the game where he replaced Gore, but I couldn't believe why GASE wouldn't have played him more. I believe our 3 RB's are plenty for this offense. We need help in other places much more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jetsons said:

Hopefully Lafleur learned from McDaniels & will implement similar concepts here.

I don't see why not, they basically were both employed for the same 4 years on the 49's.  They are similar in age, and I'm guessing Saleh would have chosen McDaniels instead if he thought Lafleur wasn't up for the challenge. Obviously everyone can fail, but how can he be any worse than GASE.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jetsons said:

Wesco played a hybrid position in College, I would him give a shot & see how he does.

I really like Wesco and feel like he was really under utilized by Gase. The issue is he is 265 lbs whereas Kyle Juszcyk is 235.  I think we can get more from Wesco as a TE and blocker, but im not sure if he has the agility to be a zone type FB.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...