Watson Wanted Saleh or Bienemy

SR24

7 hours ago, bgivs21 said:

Posters here think we're in some Madden simulation. I've been saying from the beginning that it'll cost us more than 2 1st and Sam. And that if we did trade all 4 1st rd picks we're just becoming the east coast Texans. 

Lol. I'll take 2 playoff appearances in the last 3 years and 2 double digit regular season win totals in the last 3 years. Sign me up.  For some reason you guys think the Texans have been bad with Watson. That's just not the case.  They've been badly run,  not bad. 

And the Texans traded all of their premium draft capital for a LT, not a top 5 QB. And in this scenario the Jets would still have their 2nd round picks and beyond. That's a big difference. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, heymangold said:

I think if Bieniemy was as bad as everyone makes him out to be, he’d be fired by now.  Word around the league is he’s well liked by players and well respected by coaches.

like I’ve said, if Watson was the qb last year, we’d be 7-9,8-8.  JD would be silly not to call.

Houston had more talent and went 4-12.  I love Watson, I'd give up a lot for him but to say we'd have won 7-8 games last year with him is ridiculous.

9 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Ok, what does he actually do? Kafka does the game plans and Reid calls the plays. Looking forward to your solving the mystery. 

from what i've heard bieniemy does the run game planning and calls "some" plays.  i'm tired of the argument with EB.  i didn't want him to be the HC here but to use the example that Watson wanted him as his HC means Watson is some sort of dunce is stupid.  Mahomes reccommended him to Watson.  it's as simple as that.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Lol. I'll take 2 playoff appearances in the last 3 years and 2 double digit regular season win totals in the last 3 years. Sign me up.  For some reason you guys think the Texans have been bad with Watson. That's just not the case.  They've been badly run,  not bad. 

And the Texans traded all of their premium draft capital for a LT, not a top 5 QB. And in this scenario the Jets would still have their 2nd round picks and beyond. That's a big difference. 

Lol. You forgot that they also had DeAndre Hopkins, Will Fuller and an excellent defense in those 2 winning years you want to point out. What happened this year when they had none of that!? A QB can only do so much and Watson led them to only 4 wins. 

And what instills you with any confidence that we can fill out the roster with talent from 2nd rounders and later?

The hard truth that you, and others, are hiding from is that taking Watson from the Texans and placing him on the Jets, assuming we have to trade all 4 1st round picks, will be putting him in the same situation. We have a LT, just like the Texans, and sparse talent on the offensive side outside of that position, just like the Texans. Our defense has depth along the DL but is not really any good, just like the Texans.

But we'll somehow make it work with Watson with out any premier picks for 2 years and Watson now taking up a huge chunk of our cap, limiting the talent we can bring via FA

• Upvote 1

I agree, it isn’t.
So why would the Texans trade a 25 year old, borderline Top 5 QB to us for roughy the same package that we got for a 210 lb EDGE?
Answer: They won’t
If the Jets want Watson, you’re probably talking about giving up all 4 of our 1st round picks over the next 2 years.
And then you’re sticking him into a spot really no different than the one that he’s trying to shoot his way out of. I don’t buy that having Robert Saleh is going to smooth all of that over.

Thank you

3 number ones is not getting it done

And then we gotta be here for the next decade letting him make the call on who is hired. GTFO

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

If Douglas and Saleh are great at their jobs Watson leading the team on the field is a no brainer.  I would give up draft picks in a heartbeat for a great HC or QB.  Watson is great and he’s a high character leader.  It’s clear Houston is rotten above the neck.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

No we dont. They have 3 and 18 and also 2 second rounders. 

We have the second pick. Thats worth significantly more than the 3rd pick. It would take a 2nd rounder for them to move up one pick for example. But also if the Texans are drafting a QB they would likely want to have their pick of Wilson or Fields. 

We also have Two first next year and are projected to draft much higher than Miami next year. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, heymangold said:

I think if Bieniemy was as bad as everyone makes him out to be, he’d be fired by now.  Word around the league is he’s well liked by players and well respected by coaches.

like I’ve said, if Watson was the qb last year, we’d be 7-9,8-8.  JD would be silly not to call.

As talented as he is, there are no excuses for him to not succeed with the Texans. Yeah they trade his best reciever in Hopkins but replaced him with Cooks. He also comes with a huge price tag. I rather just take a WR at #2 if we feel we need a QB. 

12 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I agree, it isn’t.

So why would the Texans trade a 25 year old, borderline Top 5 QB to us for roughy the same package that we got for a 210 lb EDGE?

Answer: They won’t

If the Jets want Watson, you’re probably talking about giving up all 4 of our 1st round picks over the next 2 years.

And then you’re sticking him into a spot really no different than the one that he’s trying to shoot his way out of. I don’t buy that having Robert Saleh is going to smooth all of that over.

Disagree. Allen Robinson would be easier to get and we can sign a guard as well as still having 2 seconds (trade Sam), 2 thirds to fill in gaps in the first two days of the draft. You think we would be the same team with Watson, Robinson, Mims, Crowder, Herndon and say Thuney than we are this year?! Not even close.

48 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

In fairness to the Texans.

A 25 year old kid shouldn't be making HC choices for a billion dollar organization.

Right because they’ve shown to be making excellent organizational decisions on their own. Also he asked that they be interviewed. There is plenty of sourced information saying he merely wanted some people considered and wanted to be involved in the conversation. That’s not a crazy request. Young or not. That place is a mess culture wise

14 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Guys there’s absolutely no way that JD is trading 2 firsts away. No way

I want to agree with you but he set himself up nicely if he wanted Watson. Plenty of cap space and we would still have a 1st this year and next so it would not really hurt us that much. I wouldn't be upset, draft picks don't always hit and Watson would turn our franchise around immediately. 

• Upvote 2

The irony of Miami having Houston's 1st round pick this year (#3) and the ability to trade that pick + Tua (on a rookie deal) for Watson is kind of amazing.  Who knows, they might even be able to keep their second pick in Round 1 (#18) and just have to throw in something else like a 2nd rounder.

Miam's #3 + Tua is much better than the Jets offering the #2 + Darnold.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

In fairness to the Texans.

A 25 year old kid shouldn't be making HC choices for a billion dollar organization.

I agree with your statement 100%.  But let me ask, is he really asking to make the choice or was he saying "Please interview these guys"?

It's not unfair for your franchise QB to say, "Hey, I'm buddies with Mahomes.  He loves Bieniemy.  Can you talk to the guy?"

If he's asking to choose then I agree with you.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

How much is Quinnen Williams worth?

Becton and QW are borderline untouchable IMO unless you're talking about taking the #2 pick off the table.

QW, Darnold and the #23 would work, but I think QW has started to validate his draft position.  Not saying whether he's worth being #3 overall, #7 or #2, but the guy has shown he was taken in the right area IMO.

15 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Guys there’s absolutely no way that JD is trading 2 firsts away. No way

From what we know of JD so far I think you're right.  But let me frame it this way....

- The Jets could be willing to take a prospect like Zach Wilson with the #2 pick.  Great upside, but he's an unknown and has bust risk because he's never taken a NFL snap.

- If you could take Zach Wilson at #2 and then someone said, "I will GUARANTEE that Zach Wilson becomes an elite Top 5 NFL QB if you give me your late 1st round pick at #23," would you do that?

That's what the #2 and #23 do for the Jets, the #2 gets you a QB and the #23 guarantees that not only wouldn't he be a bust, he'd be elite, because that's what Watson has proven he is.

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Becton and QW are borderline untouchable IMO unless you're talking about taking the #2 pick off the table.

QW, Darnold and the #23 would work, but I think QW has started to validate his draft position.  Not saying whether he's worth being #3 overall, #7 or #2, but the guy has shown he was taken in the right area IMO.

We're talking about trading for a legit franchise QB who is just entering his prime. Nobody is untouchable when you're trading for that caliber of player at that position.

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Jameis Winston was the league leader last year with 350 more yards than Watson this year.  Why not get that beast?

When Winston came out, like Josh Allen, I thought he was going to be a great one.  Thought he would mature in the NFL.

I would love to get a QB with Winston's physical talent. Guys a boderline pyscho.   At this point have to take a hard pass.  

• Upvote 1

Not sure why people are saying his cap will be an issue. His average salary over the remaining contract is only 29.7. That’s great.

Getting Watson puts us in play for 1 of the top WR. We’d be able afford one (say Godwin) plus a OL player like Thuney.

Our team would still be missing a RB, TE, CB, and Edge. Plus depth players in a few areas.

Id trade #2, #23, #86, Darnold and 2022 Seattle 1st. We’d still have all our picks in 2022 and 6 picks in 2021. RB and TE can be addressed on day 2. CB and Edge will have to wait for 2022. But there’s a path to being playoff caliber in 2021 and legit by 2022.

This is the max I’d offer if I were Douglas. Id say no to 4 1st.

Deshaun Watson has a no trade clause in his contract that lists the teams he will accept a trade to. 

Shocker but the NYJ are not on the list 

This thread is obsessed with what it would cost but breezes right by whether Watson would say OK 

Because he's already said No with the clause. 

He wanted Saleh? OK the team is still 2-14 and a total rebuild. The jets offensive line doesn't protect any better than the Texans offensive line. The jets don't have a will fuller or even a David Johnson

In short, these Watson trade threads are a day dream. Watson wants to be traded to a winning program. He's not shooting his way out of town for a trip to Florham Park 

5 hours ago, heymangold said:

from what i've heard bieniemy does the run game planning and calls "some" plays.  i'm tired of the argument with EB.  i didn't want him to be the HC here but to use the example that Watson wanted him as his HC means Watson is some sort of dunce is stupid.  Mahomes reccommended him to Watson.  it's as simple as that.

Source. 

15 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

We're talking about trading for a legit franchise QB who is just entering his prime. Nobody is untouchable when you're trading for that caliber of player at that position.

I agree, but there's a tradeoff when you're talking about something like a #2 and #23 Draft pick.  It's hard to throw an elite player into the mix with those premium picks as well.  I think we've confirmed that both Becton and QW have very high floors, they're not busts and they're above average NFL starters.  But there is still some unknown to their upsides.  BOTH of those guys have the potential to be truly elite.  It's too early and not fair to throw around names like Jonathan Ogden and Aaron Donald as comps but what I will say is this....those two names have not yet been taken off the list of potential upsides for our two young players.