the Offense Line question

doitny

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

All of those teams BOUGHT lineman in free agency. Buffalo? Morse, KC? Fisher, Pittsburgh? Pouncy, LA? Whitworth, Browns? Conklin. 

Baltimore? Running QB (fastest in the league) helps Oline tremendously & oh by the way, they didn't do a very good job last night did they? How about that Center? And Green Bay has Aaron Rogers who outside of Tom Brady who also helped his Oline by being the GOAT are both outliers. 

I don't understand what any of this has to do with wanting the Jets to try to build the best Oline in the league? We have plenty of money & picks for skill position offensive players! 

thanks for mentioning the 1st rd OL of those teams cause there the only ones.  the rest came in later rds or FA. 

now we have one ( Becton ). we dont need 2. do like they did and get the rest another way. those good teams who are always in the playoffs do it this way.

another thing to consider, if we pick Sewell he will want top dollar after his rookie contract ends in 4-5 yrs. Becton will want top dollar a year before him. your going to pay BOTH of these guy what 25-30 mil each on the line? i doubt those other teams have 2 max contract guys on there line. so then we let one go? 

i would love to have the best OL too. just saying those teams can do it without drafting 2 guys in the 1st rd. we can do it too. 

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

After 20 years of massive, failed, over investment in Defense.......let’s make sure we don’t forget to skip Offense and draft more DEFENSE! That the idea eh?

Some folks never learn.

cant ignore the defense. did you see who we started in the secondary? we cant get to the QB. 

if you do like i said and draft a WR with the 1st pick, the later 1st rd pick could go defense and we helped both sides. if we go OL with that 1st pick your going to feel you didnt do anything with the offense. 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I am not in favour of picking and oline at #2

I am in favour of trading down and picking oline at 23, or 34 or any 2nd or 3rd rounders we get in a trade down deal.

DBrick at 6 and Mangold at 30 was perhaps the jets best 1st round ever and set up the team for 10 years on the oline

Everyone who says trade down should be reminded that it's not an automatic option - takes two to tango and if there's no trade partner Sewell is BPA and a position of need.

You have to pull that trigger

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Robinson is not coming to the Jets.  He has spent his entire career with bad QBs - Bortles and Trubisky. He's going to use free agency to pick a team with a good established QB.  He's not going to use his one chance to pick where he goes to come to another team with QB issues and uncertainty- and that includes keeping Darnold or drafting a QB.  He'll get his money from some team with a good QB.  

Show him the Quan, or sign Godwin or even Schuster. Draft Smith. Do those two things and, even if I would prefer IOL at 23, I'm ok with CB or Edge.

As Beerfish is fond of saying WEAPONZZ!

36 minutes ago, peebag said:

Everyone who says trade down should be reminded that it's not an automatic option - takes two to tango and if there's no trade partner Sewell is BPA and a position of need.

You have to pull that trigger

Same excuses we hear year after year with mccagnan, oh we tried to trade own.  Every year there are trade ups and trade downs in the 1st round and the jets always fail.

My bigger beef is that Sewel is not even seen as the top olineman by some and we have no film on him this year.

Oline is a position of need,, another tackle not as much imo

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Same excuses we hear year after year with mccagnan, oh we tried to trade own.  Every year there are trade ups and trade downs in the 1st round and the jets always fail.

My bigger beef is that Sewel is not even seen as the top olineman by some and we have no film on him this year.

Oline is a position of need,, another tackle not as much imo

I think some of that has to be recency bias- it’s hard to imagine a LT who received heisman votes not being the best at his position

Just now, cant wait said:

I think some of that has to be recency bias- it’s hard to imagine a LT who received heisman votes not being the best at his position

Sure there is recency bias as there should be to some extent.  Player A I have watched had a monster year and shows why he is so damn good, better than I thought he was before the season.

Player B sits out a year.

13 hours ago, doitny said:

there is a lot of talk here about drafting Penei Sewell with the 2nd pick. now i for one dont think we should waste that high a pick on another LT. and im guessing since Saleh is a defensive guy and we need serious help at CB one of our 1st rders would go there. or and edge rushers. cant see Saleh ignoring the defense with both 1st rd picks when we need help over there too.

anyway i did some research i think you guys should see. that some of the best teams in the league dont keep drafting OL with there 1st rd picks

Buffalo- 0-4 last 5 yrs ..... 0-8 last 10 yrs that they have drafted a OL in the 1st rd. there heading to the AFCCC next week.

Pittsburgh- 0-4 ....... 1-9..... one of the best run teams in the NFL. 

Baltimore- 1-6....... 1-10.... 

Cleveland- 1-7...... 2-15.... even with 15 1st rd picks in 10 years they only took 2 OL in them.

KC- 0-2....... 1-7...... best team in AFC

LA Rams-0-1...1-8.... cant believe they had one pick in the 1st rd in the last 5 years. 

Green Bay- 0-4...... 1-9... 

now to be fair there are some who are doing good by drafting more than 1 OL. yet one didnt make the playoffs and the other 2 got eliminated on opening weekend. maybe if they took one of those OL picks and drafted a different position they would still be playing.

Miami..2-7....3-12

Tenn... 2-6....4-11

Ind... 2-3.....3-7

point is , we dont have to waste another high 1st rd pick on a OL. btw most of these 1st rd OL were after 10.

if those top teams can get a good OL without wasting 2 1st rders on them, so can we.

oh and 2 of the worst teams

Cin.... 2-5......3-10 and

Detroit...2-5.....4-10

What do the numbers mean?

“0-4 last 5 years”

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Sure there is recency bias as there should be to some extent.  Player A I have watched had a monster year and shows why he is so damn good, better than I thought he was before the season.

Player B sits out a year.

It’s true in the case of Devonta Smith and Jamarr Chase, but Smith outplayed him and won the Heisman. I’m just saying I don’t see what OL stood out that much to put above Sewell after the season he had

3 hours ago, doitny said:

cant ignore the defense. did you see who we started in the secondary? we cant get to the QB. 

if you do like i said and draft a WR with the 1st pick, the later 1st rd pick could go defense and we helped both sides. if we go OL with that 1st pick your going to feel you didnt do anything with the offense. 

I don't feel we need to "help both sides" equally.  They're not equally weak, and they're not equally vital to winning.

With Mosely back and some mid-rounders, the Defense is perfectly adequate.

The Offense, on the other hand, needs a massive infusion of higher-end talent almost everywhere.

On 1/17/2021 at 8:58 AM, Irish Jet said:

The Jets neglected the line for 15 years. That’s how you end up consistently producing bottom 5 offences. 

Sewell is the best player in this draft. The Jets need elite players and you can never have enough of them on the offensive line.

Build that wall. Dominate.

Possibly but more likely you end up with bottom 5 offenses by not having a quality QB.