Can't believe it but it was 10 long, long years long ago...

Jet Nut

31 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Was watching SNY last night and JCoakely interviewed Bart and SalPal to reminisce.  Can it really be that long ago, ten long years?  It was so much fun being a Jets fan back then.  Cocky loud mouth HC making promises, the team backing them up.  A real gritty, hard hitting team built around its defense and its coaches style.  It really felt like we were on our way, would only get better, Sanchez had to improve and the Jets with him, right?  

We were playing the big, bad Patriots team a little over a month after they had humiliated the team 45-3 earlier in the season.  Worse that beatdown was in front of a national TV audience on Monday Night Football.  No one gave us a chance and Bart Scott had to stick it to them in his post game interview with SalPal.  A catch phrase for the Jets was born andl follows Bart and the Jets around to this day. 

I cant wait to get this feeling back again.  Mets are close, can the Jets follow? 

I still have Bart Scott's bobblehead that I won from a Game Day scratch off. I was so pumped after the Cheats game, fit to dance on the graves of the homeless dead, I was; but excitement and dread were at war and we know who won that war the following week when the glass of disappointment started tipping over.

I've gone over that's Spittsburgh game so many times trying to analyze why the Jets couldn't/didn't bring the same level of heat after that extreme high. Gassed? Over-confident? Complacent? The Chimp throwing a critical INT that could've and should've been overcome by the defense? The Steelers targeting sh it in his pants Eric Smith because he was such an obvious weak spot? No, no, no, yes, and yes; but the real answer is . . . drumroll . . .  come out inexplicably yet predictably flat in the game of your career 'cause the Jets gonna Jet. That includes you, Bart (much as I like the guy).

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, jetophile said:

but the real answer is . . . drumroll . . .  come out inexplicably yet predictably flat in the game of your career

Exactly.  

Bart and the defense talked a lot after that Patriots game and didn’t get off the bus in Pittsburgh.  And you would think that being in the same position a year prior would have given them the proper level of respect for the opportunity and keep them focused, but no, it was like beating the Pats was enough.  Sickening.   

I’ll hate Bart, Darrelle, and Rex forever for that Pittsburgh game.  I knew it was the end of that regime the moment the game ended.  What a waste.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 4

18 minutes ago, jetophile said:

I still have Bart Scott's bobblehead that I won from a Game Day scratch off. I was so pumped after the Cheats game, fit to dance on the graves of the homeless dead, I was; but excitement and dread were at war and we know who won that war the following week when the glass of disappointment started tipping over.

I've gone over that's Spittsburgh game so many times trying to analyze why the Jets couldn't/didn't bring the same level of heat after that extreme high. Gassed? Over-confident? Complacent? The Chimp throwing a critical INT that could've and should've been overcome by the defense? The Steelers targeting sh it in his pants Eric Smith because he was such an obvious weak spot? No, no, no, yes, and yes; but the real answer is . . . drumroll . . .  come out inexplicably yet predictably flat in the game of your career 'cause the Jets gonna Jet. That includes you, Bart (much as I like the guy).

Have that bobblehead somewhere, time to break it out!

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

’ll hate Bart, Darrelle, and Rex forever for that Pittsburgh game.  I knew it was the end of that regime the moment the game ended.  What a waste.  

Mindless, if it weren't for them there wouldnt have been the Pitt game, the Pats game or the Colts game.

We finally lost to a team that was more talented defending a home field advantage, sucked but no reason to hate.  Winning in Indy and NE wasnt a waste, it was a fun run and what being a fan is all about.  Not crying when it ended.  

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Exactly.  

Bart and the defense talked a lot after that Patriots game and didn’t get off the bus in Pittsburgh.  And you would think that being in the same position a year prior would have given them the proper level of respect for the opportunity and keep them focused, but no, it was like beating the Pats was enough.  Sickening.   

I’ll hate Bart, Darrelle, and Rex forever for that Pittsburgh game.  I knew it was the end of that regime the moment the game ended.  What a waste.  

SAR I

That game was a true kick in the gut. The year before, the Colts were better than us. Not so with Pittsburgh.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Was watching SNY last night and JCoakely interviewed Bart and SalPal to reminisce.  Can it really be that long ago, ten long years?  It was so much fun being a Jets fan back then.  Cocky loud mouth HC making promises, the team backing them up.  A real gritty, hard hitting team built around its defense and its coaches style.  It really felt like we were on our way, would only get better, Sanchez had to improve and the Jets with him, right?  

We were playing the big, bad Patriots team a little over a month after they had humiliated the team 45-3 earlier in the season.  Worse that beatdown was in front of a national TV audience on Monday Night Football.  No one gave us a chance and Bart Scott had to stick it to them in his post game interview with SalPal.  A catch phrase for the Jets was born andl follows Bart and the Jets around to this day. 

45-3 was the worst result for the Patriots. Flukiest result ever, a complete outlier, and very misleading. 

What i loved about that Jets team under Rex was how they'd respond to a defeat. For a while, they almost never played 2 bad games in a row. They weren't the smartest team, but they were tough. 

• Upvote 1

Would of been the most storied and legendary road to the super bowl a team has ever had. Winning a Super Bowl by knocking out 4 HOF QB’s all on the road(Peyton, Brady, Big Ben & Rodgers)

i was younger back then. I was foolish. I didn’t know we would spiral out of control for 11 straight years but I do remember those days being the best days of my life as a sports fan. No years rival the 2009 & 2010 season’s to me. 

3 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

Peaked one week too early that year, such a shame.

Will neve get over Rashard fricking jag Mendenhall running us out of the building.

He wasnt a jag in 2010, he was a 1,300 yard rusher who scored 13 TDs.  

Tall order to go on the road and beat prime Manning Brady and Big Ben

to get to/win the super bowl you need luck and an easier road

Bills squeeked by the corpse of Phillip rivers and a QB that can’t throw, finally they will face a real QB and get run out of the stadium 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Mindless, if it weren't for them there wouldnt have been the Pitt game, the Pats game or the Colts game.

Doesn't matter.  Losing back to back AFC Championship Games and to a team that you had beaten in their building a few weeks earlier because you partied too hard after beating the Patriots is an inexcusable sin.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

We finally lost to a team that was more talented defending a home field advantage, sucked but no reason to hate.  Winning in Indy and NE wasnt a waste, it was a fun run and what being a fan is all about.  Not crying when it ended.  

We were better than the Steelers and we were playing better than they were.  The D didn't get off the bus, we fell in a huge hole early, D'Bust blew the biggest block of his life, and the game was over before you drank your first beer.

Rex, Bart, and Darrelle should have had the team spitting blood getting off the bus that day.  They had a lead in the prior year's AFCCG, they had just dominated the Patriots, and they had beaten the Steelers in Heinz just a few weeks prior.  This was our chance, the one we waited 40 years for, and they blew it. 

Arrogance and laziness.  The hallmarks of a Rex Ryan defense.

SAR I

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Doesn't matter.  Losing back to back AFC Championship Games and to a team that you had beaten in their building a few weeks earlier because you partied too hard after beating the Patriots is an inexcusable sin.

It does matter.  The pointless excuses matter even less.

We were better than the Steelers and we were playing better than they were.  The D didn't get off the bus, we fell in a huge hole early, D'Bust blew the biggest block of his life, and the game was over before you drank your first beer.

The Steelers were 12-4.  They were a division winner.  The Jets were 11-5.  Second place team.  Dont know the definition of we were better.  They also had home field and earned a first week bye.   Your MarkyMark doesnt fumble for a Steeler TD and we would have won the game

Arrogance and laziness.  The hallmarks of a Rex Ryan defense.

LOL, sometimes you lose to a better team or to a team that plays better that day.  Watch sports and take it in and you'll learn this.  Or not

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It does matter.  The pointless excuses matter even less.

They aren't excuses.  They are reasons.  Bart himself has said "we didn't get off the bus in Pittsburgh" numerous times on radio.  We should have won that game.  Bart knows that he and the rest of the D let us down.  It's a 40 year mistake.  It's not something to sweep under the rug.

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The Steelers were 12-4.  They were a division winner.  The Jets were 11-5.  Second place team.  Dont know the definition of we were better. 

We beat them four weeks earlier at Heinz Field.  We also beat the Patriots, something they couldn't do that season either.

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Your MarkyMark doesnt fumble for a Steeler TD and we would have won the game

D'Brickashaw Ferguson blew his assignment and Ike Taylor strip sacked his quarterback in the blink of an eye.  That wasn't on Mark who was the best Jet on the field that day.

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

LOL, sometimes you lose to a better team or to a team that plays better that day.  Watch sports and take it in and you'll learn this.  Or not

The Jets were the better team but were too full of themselves to prepare like professionals.  Bart admits this.  You should too.  We were robbed of a Super Bowl appearance.  Canonizing a stupid player phrase to a reporter as if its some legendary moment is so Jetsy considering what happened the very next week.  "Can't Tackle!" would have been more appropriate.

SAR I

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I cant wait to get this feeling back again.  Mets are close, can the Jets follow? 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I love Bart Scott

• Sympathy 1

"Can't wait" was great at the time.  I loved the brash confidence, swagger and attitude of that team.  But it became nothing more thana frustrating footnote in our history the next week when we lost.  And when we continued to lose for the next few seasons. 

Would have meant a lot more to me had we won the damn game the next week.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FlightBoyz said:

FB_IMG_1610901551410.jpg.f9971d73af994900822bff3adcd45331.jpg

Was in Pittsburgh that day. Still hurts?

I was there too.  I am glad that I went but it was an awful evening.  I was also in Indy the year before, not as painful as I knew it was a longshot that we would win.  This one, I thought we were the better team.

Promised myself that I would be there the next time we got to the AFCCG.  Never thought another 10 years would pass without a return trip to the playoffs, much less a Championship game appearance.

• Upvote 1