Interesting point that might affect potential draft day partners

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Stay put at #2 and pick a sure thing immediate impact playmaker. 

You need to score points to win. 

This is the kind of thinking that gets teams in trouble. It is the Macc way of thinking early in the draft. It is along the lines of, "I am at #6, I am going to pick at #6, and I will pick the best consensus player at that spot".

I hope our player evaluators are better than that and maybe see value in the draft later that MAYBE can parlayed into several good picks. 

NEVR lock yourself into one option.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, QB1 said:

We can trade down and pick any playmaker we want 

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

This is the kind of thinking that gets teams in trouble. It is the Macc way of thinking early in the draft. It is along the lines of, "I am at #6, I am going to pick at #6, and I will pick the best consensus player at that spot".

I hope our player evaluators are better than that and maybe see value in the draft later that MAYBE can parlayed into several good picks. 

Our roster is the worst in the NFL

It lacks superstar offensive playmakers who can score points. 

We need immediate impact players.

Quality players vs a bunch of what if players. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Stay put at #2 and pick a sure thing immediate impact playmaker. 

You need to score points to win. 

Sure thing immediate impact players don't exist in the NFL Draft.  I'm not going to post the long list of draft busts picked at 1-2-3-4.  If there were sure things,  being a GM would be a long term job.  

That's another reason why you can't compare coaching in college to the NFL.  The successful programs just out recruit everyone else. They end. up with rosters that are 3-4 deep at every position. That makes coaching easy. In the NFL, with 7 draft picks and a salary cap, NFL coaches actually have to coach.  That is why the NFL coaching graveyard is strewn with college legends that failed in the NFL. For every Jimmie Johnson (who won by fleecing Minnesota and New Orleans) there are dozens of Sabans, Spurriers, Hotlzes, etc.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Sure thing immediate impact players don't exist in the NFL Draft.  I'm not going to post the long list of draft busts picked at 1-2-3-4.  If there were sure things,  being a GM would be a long term job.  

Ok with that list please post the players that were immediate impact players. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I didn't realize that quality players could only picked in the #2 slot. This is closed minded thinking.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

I didn't realize that quality players could only picked in the #2 slot. This is closed minded thinking.

The entire draft is a gamble but quality scouting and players who excelled their entire college football careers are a safer bet than others. 

I would choose DeVonta Smith at #2 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, section314 said:

Was listening to Movin the Chains yesterday afternoon, and Pat Kirwin made a point about what some teams with new GM's coming in have to deal with regarding their salary caps, and having a disproportionate amount of money tied up to 3-4 guys. He said  rule of thumb is when that gets over 35%, you worry, and over 40% you have major problems. Atlanta, between Matt Ryan, Julio and Grady Jarrett, are over 40% and if you throw in their OT Matthews, it's like 45%.  Detroit, between Stafford, Trey Flowers and one other guy whose name escapes me, is like 38%. Couple this with the idea that a new coach and GM want to start their time running a franchise with their own, cheap QB, and it may make it even more imperative for them to ensure that they get their QB. Point is, if we do decide to move out, we probably won't have a lack of suitors.

The QBs always rise, teams always need them, and it only takes one of 31 teams to want to make a trade to get it done. Added with the possibility of a team being interested enough in Sewell to trade up, and there should be, as you say, no lack of suitors. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I don’t understand 

we can trade down inside the top 5 and grab an elite blue chip playmaker 

• Upvote 1

An offer will probably be only be for a QB

What's against us right now is Fields/Wilson being so close.  A team can trade to 3 to get the leftover.  Looking at the board, I don't see where the big offer comes from unless a team loves one QB WAY more than the other which is possible. 

I don't see Cincy trading up.  There's a very good chance they get Sewell just by staying put.   

If you were the Bengals what would you do?

1. Trade the #5 plus early 2nd, 3rd and 4th for Sewell OR

2. Stay put, take Sewell if he goes where he's being mocked, and if he's gone, that means draft went QB,QB,QB,Sewell, and you have your pick of the first non-Sewell offensive player or any defensive player and you have your early 2nd,3rd and 4ths.

If we traded 3 picks for an OT like that, We would have JD's head on a pike.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, dcJet said:

What's against us right now is Fields/Wilson being so close.  A team can trade to 3 to get the leftover.  Looking at the board, I don't see where the big offer comes from unless a team loves one QB WAY more than the other.

Usually the case, no?  Speaking of 3, I'd say it's 50/50, at worst, that Miami Goes QB.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The entire draft is a gamble but quality scouting and players who excelled their entire college football careers are a safer bet than others. 

I would choose DeVonta Smith at #2 

You counter your own points here. If the whole draft is a crapshoot, why not better the odds and gain additional high picks?

Yes, you need to score points to win, but you don't do that with a bad o line...

Trade out of 2, have additional picks, draft Chase or another of the highly regarded WRs (Smith is no more of a sure thing as any, and is a stick figure that may not even hold up in the NFL, he makes Robbie look buff), maybe another playmaker at 23, and gain multiple picks in the 2nd and 3rd for highly rated position players...O line, Corner, etc

And an additional First in 22.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, dcJet said:

I don't see Cincy trading up.  There's a very good chance they get Sewell just by staying put.   

If you were the Bengals what would you do?

1. Trade the #5 plus early 2nd, 3rd and 4th for Sewell OR

2. Stay put, take Sewell if he goes where he's being mocked, and if he's gone, that means draft went QB,QB,QB,Sewell, and you have your pick of the first non-Sewell offensive player or any defensive player and you have your early 2nd,3rd and 4ths.

If we traded 3 picks for an OT, We would have JD's head on a pike.

11 minutes ago, dcJet said:

What's against us right now is Fields/Wilson being so close.  A team can trade to 3 to get the leftover.  Looking at the board, I don't see where the big offer comes from unless a team loves one QB WAY more than the other.

While maybe teams *should* think that way, I doubt they will.  They're not all going to say "either Wilson or Fields, idc".  They'll end up deciding they prefer one or the other, and then pay to be able to get him.

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You counter your own points here. If the whole draft is a crapshoot, why not better the odds and gain additional high picks?

Yes, you need to score points to win, but you don't do that with a bad o line...

Trade out of 2, have additional picks, draft Chase or another of the highly regarded WRs (Smith is no more of a sure thing as any, and is a stick figure that may not even hold up in the NFL, he makes Robbie look buff), maybe another playmaker at 23, and gain multiple picks in the 2nd and 3rd for highly rated position players...O line, Corner, etc

And an additional First in 22.

#2 WR DeVonta Smith 

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Usually the case, no?  Speaking of 3, I'd say it's 50/50, at worst, that Miami Goes QB.

Figuring out Miami is key for trade up teams.  If they don't listen to offers, that helps us.  If they are open for business, teams may wait to see what we do and then pull the QB trade up trigger with them

The point is, they may get the offer we are hoping for. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, slats said:

You don't need to try to insult other people just because you don't have good ideas. 

No insult at all. 

He jokingly said Telegraph sent to JD.

And I replied with a joke back. 

Unless of course he really sent a telegraph to Joe Douglas then I would be wrong. 

5 minutes ago, dcJet said:

You're saying you think the top 3 picks will be QB?  No way.  Has that *ever* happened?  I don't know when 3 QBs have been taken in the top *5*.  It hasn't in the last 10 years at least...  And it's not like this is some unbelievable crop of QBs.

44 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I think Douglas proved last year that he won't lock himself into that kind of thinking when he bounced around in second round and still came up with Mims.  With his trade of Jamal for draft capital and his moves last year he appears way beyond Mac in terms of strategic thinking.

• Upvote 4

This is the time of the season where speculation and theories run wild, from both the experts and the fans, but let's all take a deep breath.

This ain't rocket science. The Jets need a QB.  The Jets have the #2 pick.  If their player evaluation people give any of the QB prospects a first round grade, draft the QB.  The Jets will be drafting a QB.

Just now, docdhc said:

I think Douglas proved last year that he won't lock himself into that kind of thinking when he bounced around in second round and still came up with Mims.  With his trade of Jamal for draft capital and his moves last year he appears way beyond Mac in terms of strategic thinking.

Gabriel Davis,Tyler Johnson,Darnell Mooney chosen after Mims